14 Khalil Tate (Aug 2017-Aug 2018)

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

HaCats

Re: 14 Khalil Tate

Post by HaCats »

Was talking to a buddy yesterday and said this very same thing. I hope Dawkins isn't hanging his head because we will need him again this year. It may be 1 series.....or it may be 4 games, but he needs to be ready.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

The national attention he's getting is awesome.

Is he as good as he's been? Or is this Linsanity? I'll take either.

As for taking hits, one possibility is that he's driven by his fearless, take-all-comers outlook. But he needs to be good enough not to need that. That isn't your body, sir. It's the team's, and they need it.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

second week in a row he is your PAC 12 offensive player of the week. Not sure who won on defense
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azcat49 wrote:second week in a row he is your PAC 12 offensive player of the week. Not sure who won on defense
Jordan Kunaszyk of Cal.

http://pac-12.com/article/2017/10/16/pa ... eek-week-7" target="_blank
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

azcat49 wrote:second week in a row he is your PAC 12 offensive player of the week. Not sure who won on defense
Man so awesome!

In Tate I trust!
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

I’ve never been more excited about a single player. Foles, Carey, Northcutt, McAlister, Lewis, Waldrop, Bruschi, OJ, Levy, nobody. It has only been two games, course, and as teams watch film they are likely going to contain him better. But up to this point his highlights are almost hard to believe..he looks like a man among boys. I don’t remember us having a player impact the game like this. Ever.
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

Our struggles in recruiting and defense have kind of made us forget that RichRod is one of the greatest offensive minds the game has ever seen when he has his guys who can actually put his plans into motion.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Tate looks a lot like Tommy Frazier out there.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

MrBug708 wrote:Tate looks a lot like Tommy Frazier out there.
I want to say he looks like Michael Vick, but Tate has already outrushed Vick's best season.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Chicat wrote:
I want to say he looks like Michael Vick, but Tate has already outrushed Vick's best season.
I don't think Vick was as fast, but Tate doesn't have nearly the arm either
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

I'm waiting to read Tate's name in Heisman discussions. Another game or two at the level of the last couple and I bet we see it.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Yeah I guess. But a qb who only really plays in at most 8 games in a season won't be given anything.
Sid

Post by Sid »

Puerco wrote:I'm waiting to read Tate's name in Heisman discussions. Another game or two at the level of the last couple and I bet we see it.
We need to be in the top 25 first. KT continues this awesomeness at Cal then at home for the Cougs were in the top 25 heading into SC. I think espn will give us serious consideration for game day if this goes according to plan. The Heisman talk will be in full force, you will have Darnold & KT going at it at during prime time.

Sexy!
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Sorry, I don't mean to imply he'll get it, but just to get a mention would be impressive all things considered, doncha think?
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Puerco wrote:Sorry, I don't mean to imply he'll get it, but just to get a mention would be impressive all things considered, doncha think?
I agree, but I think it will take a couple of more games at this level to get a sniff of the list.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azgreg wrote:
Puerco wrote:Sorry, I don't mean to imply he'll get it, but just to get a mention would be impressive all things considered, doncha think?
I agree, but I think it will take a couple of more games at this level to get a sniff of the list.
Just keep winning.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

MrBug708 wrote:
Chicat wrote:
I don't think Vick was as fast, but Tate doesn't have nearly the arm either
Tate can make all the throws so I'm not sure having a Vick like arm is required. Randall when he was here could throw the ball 75 yards in the air - yet being able to do that never came into play during a game. Difference between Tate and Vick is Tate has great touch and every throw isn't a 98 mph fastball. His two deep balls on Saturday being case in point - both were perfectly thrown balls.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Randall used the same velocity for that 75 yard pass as he did on a screen play.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

splitsecond wrote:Our struggles in recruiting and defense have kind of made us forget that RichRod is one of the greatest offensive minds the game has ever seen when he has his guys who can actually put his plans into motion.
RR's issue has never been producing when he has the horses. His issue has been getting the horses. If he can turn that around, again, his actual coaching is always good. He needs a strong Dc, but has won even without a ton of D.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I’ve been wracking my brain trying to come up with a better two game stretch from someone and I’m failing miserably.

One more impressive performance and he should absolutely be top-10 for Heisman consideration.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote:I’ve been wracking my brain trying to come up with a better two games and I’m failing miserably.

One more impressive performance and he should absolutely be top-10 for Heisman consideration.
You and I both know that if you don't start on these lists pre season it's tough to get on them. If he keeps up his production for a few more games he'll get there.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azgreg wrote:
Chicat wrote:I’ve been wracking my brain trying to come up with a better two games and I’m failing miserably.

You and I both know that if you don't start on these lists pre season it's tough to get on them. If he keeps up his production for a few more games he'll get there.
Honestly, and I know I’m asking a lot, but if he goes 150+/200+ at Cal I’m not sure how you keep him off those lists. 1/4 of the season ain’t nothing.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

If he goes less than 100 / 200 this next week, it's a sign he is regressing and should be benched.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

ASUHATER! wrote:Just hope he can stay healthy since he doesn't shy from contact and isn't really big and built to take hits.
People keep saying this. He's not running into the teeth of the DL for no gain 10X a game. Most of the time, he's getting pushed out/run out on the sideline. Or he's tackled from the side/behind in the open field in the 2nd level. Unless I'm forgetting, he hasn't been sacked yet. Yeah, slide, that's always smart for a QB. But it's not like he's looking to truck people...
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

Chicat wrote:
azgreg wrote:

Honestly, and I know I’m asking a lot, but if he goes 150+/200+ at Cal I’m not sure how you keep him off those lists. 1/4 of the season ain’t nothing.
Kadeem Carey was all-world his Sophomore year, and he barely got a sniff. He didn't even get an invitation to NY, despite being one of the top RB's statistically. I'd be happy if he got an invite to NYC.

Once again, we should send Colorado sooo many gifts...! :D
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

qwertyus wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:Just hope he can stay healthy since he doesn't shy from contact and isn't really big and built to take hits.
People keep saying this. He's not running into the teeth of the DL for no gain 10X a game. Most of the time, he's getting pushed out/run out on the sideline. Or he's tackled from the side/behind in the open field in the 2nd level. Unless I'm forgetting, he hasn't been sacked yet. Yeah, slide, that's always smart for a QB. But it's not like he's looking to truck people...
Against FUCLA he trucked a couple of guys and did the ol' jump over the guy trick. He's gotta stop doing that.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Yeah I remember one play in particular that made me cringe from up in section 202 where he put his head down and was just crushed as he tried to truck someone.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Seems to me there were 3 plays where I thought he should have slid. Since he apparently had a "shoulder" injury which kept him out of those 3 games, it sure looked healthy to me the way he lowered it.
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

azgreg wrote:
qwertyus wrote:
Against FUCLA he trucked a couple of guys and did the ol' jump over the guy trick. He's gotta stop doing that.
If you say so. I don't recall, but I could certainly be wrong. Getting hit shortens careers and obviously increases injury risk, so we're in agreement about him needing to slide/be careful. Much better to just take the safe play instead of padding stats and getting hurt!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Go to the 2:15 mark.

BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

qwertyus wrote:
azgreg wrote:
qwertyus wrote:
If you say so. I don't recall, but I could certainly be wrong. Getting hit shortens careers and obviously increases injury risk, so we're in agreement about him needing to slide/be careful. Much better to just take the safe play instead of padding stats and getting hurt!
I've yet to see him shy away from contact in any form. He drops his shoulder and engages the hit every time. And Greg's right, he made a big leaping hurdle over a couple of defenders on the sideline when he should've just stepped out at that point. I love it, but it's terrifying.

I feel like our karma is on the upswing though. A dynamic QB is emerging before our eyes, we don't have players dropping like flies every other play - hell, even Nick is running strong and the defense is improving no question. Pressure, sacks and a bunch of young players who look like they want to play. And Tight Ends!
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Yep 89, yep
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

As a fan I love watching Tate run over guys and if someone considers themselves a hard hitting DB it's gotta be demoralizing to get trucked by a QB. However, it's far more important for Tate to make it the year then win style points.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Chicat wrote:
azgreg wrote:

Bryce Young is on pace for like 2800 yards and everyone has anointed Barkley as the Heisman winner. You basically need to be playing for championships to have a shot
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

BearDown89 wrote:
qwertyus wrote:
azgreg wrote:
qwertyus wrote:
I've yet to see him shy away from contact in any form. He drops his shoulder and engages the hit every time. And Greg's right, he made a big leaping hurdle over a couple of defenders on the sideline when he should've just stepped out at that point. I love it, but it's terrifying.

I feel like our karma is on the upswing though. A dynamic QB is emerging before our eyes, we don't have players dropping like flies every other play - hell, even Nick is running strong and the defense is improving no question. Pressure, sacks and a bunch of young players who look like they want to play. And Tight Ends!
I watched the "Football in 60" replay, just the offensive snaps, and yes, KT needs to start sliding more. Multiple times initiated contact, including a pretty cool, dangerous, hit stick on a DB.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Does Khalil have a nick name?
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

OSUCat wrote:Does Khalil have a nick name?
"Frank"?

http://ktkt.homestead.com/FrankKalil.html
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Hah, I'd completely forgotten about the Kalil family. Frank should adopt Khalil so he could be Khalil Kalil.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Mike Luke on 1290 has been calling the offense "The Good Guys with Khalil".
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ALASKACAT

Post by ALASKACAT »

Nick names:

Keep Truckin
Derecho
Desert Whoosh
mc²
Haboob
Sonoran Cyclone
Grease Lightning
Ghost Whisperer
The Real Deal
Prime Time
Can't Touch This
The Chosen One
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

K TRAIN
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

ramcat wrote:K TRAIN
I was gonna say K14
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

WaPo yesterday (nothing new. . . but the Heisman talk is nice. . .) https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/spo ... b35c527240" target="_blank
The Heisman Trophy race continues to evolve, with tailbacks Saquon Barkley (Penn State) and Bryce Love (Stanford) the most discussed candidates. Barkley has versatility and a starring role on a national title contender in his favor; Love is the featured back of a team eager to run over as many opponents as it can. Oklahoma’s Baker Mayfield and Oklahoma State’s Mason Rudolph remain in the conversation, too.

But the best player in the country this month? That’s simultaneously both easy and unexpected.

Arizona quarterback Khalil Tate is 20 of 25 passing for 290 yards and two touchdowns over the past two weekends, some exceptionally efficient work. Yet it appears modest compared to his silly rushing numbers: 29 carries for 557 yards and six touchdowns.

That’s a Tecmo Bo-like 19.2 yards per carry in October for the sophomore, who has led Arizona (4-2, 2-1 Pac-12) to victories over Colorado and UCLA. His role became prominent only after starter Brandon Dawkins was injured on the opening drive two weeks ago.

Needless to say, it’s prompted the question of where Tate has been all year. A bit banged up, for starters, though he came off the bench in two games in September.

“When he got his opportunity, he made the most of it,” Coach Rich Rodriguez told reporters this week as Arizona prepared to visit California on Saturday. “He is actually playing better than we anticipated that he would, particularly running-wise.”

You think?

The upshot of Tate’s star turn is that Rodriguez has gone from a popular target for hot-seat chatter (the Wildcats regressed from 10-4 to 7-6 to 3-9 over the last three seasons) to coaching the team perhaps best equipped to wrest the Pac-12 South away from Southern California.
Oh, as far as nicknames go. . . if he keeps doing the stuff he has been doing . . . maybe we should call him "King T'Challa". . .
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Solid game. Cold as ice in the OT. Love this kids demeanor
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Who ever was the “Earl MF Mitchell” sock, needs to give Khalil Tate a go!
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

He looked real gimpy late in the game
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

ASUHATER! wrote:He looked real gimpy late in the game
He got hit really hard after the whistle blew on the play when he was down and the ball came out. There was a late hit called, but he got nicked up and it showed. Let's hope he can shake it before next week.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Give Tate as much rest and ice as he can take in the next couple days.

Hopefully he heals up and he's at/near 100% for the next game.

I love how they basically dared him to beat them with his arm and he willingly obliged. I don't think that the INT is on him at all either, as Poindexter cut way to far in and misplayed where the ball was on that one.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

It looked like he either took a shot to the sack or the leg for a nasty bruise. Props to him for playing tough. Hope he gets a good rest and is good for next week.