General Malaise and Complaining about the Football Program

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

PHXCATS

Re: Fire RR

Post by PHXCATS »

scumdevils86 wrote:who actually think we're finishing 12-2 this year? :lol:
No, I said IF

Multiple people are saying best case is a good year and someone else hires RR away, why other than the retention bonus?
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Bashing on RR is so stupid right now.

This is RR's 6th year.

He went to bowl games in his 1st 4 years.
Last year was horrendous.
Most people thought this year would be equally bad... if not worse.
We are on the verge of being bowl eligible again... making that 5 bowls in 6 years.... something that's never been done at Arizona.

Don't know what people really expect.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Alieberman wrote: We are on the verge of being bowl eligible again... making that 5 bowls in 6 years.... something that's never been done at Arizona.
Larry Smith had a winning record 6 out of his last 6 years at Arizona.

He didn't have frickin' 41 bowl games to go to for 82 teams. There are 129 Div I teams.

Tomey could have gone 7 out of 8 years 92-99.

Tex Olliver, 5 out of 5. Miles Casteel 9 out of 9 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_A ... ll_coaches" target="_blank

I really like RichRod, he is very personable, but he just doesn't seem to have the fire anymore.
Last edited by Merkin on Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:29 pm, edited 4 times in total.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Some of us would love to see a Rose Bowl someday. Or more than 25 wins over a 3 year period. Or a few guys do well in the NFL. Otherwise we'll just be stuck in the purgatory of mediocrity...which most bowl games signify. Bowl games are mostly just a slap on the back for not totally sucking.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

okay chill on the running the table stuff.. I'm a homer, but I'm just hoping for 8-4 with a win against ASU.

Also, you don't think with Khalil back and 60 of 120 of our roster being true or RS freshman, that we don't have at least a shot next year? I'm fairly certain it's not a playoff game, so even if you don't win the Pac, you have a chance.

I thought this would be a 4/5 win team, but now next year is becoming more optimistic for me.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Merkin wrote:
Alieberman wrote: We are on the verge of being bowl eligible again... making that 5 bowls in 6 years.... something that's never been done at Arizona.
Larry Smith had a winning record 6 out of his last 6 years at Arizona.

He didn't have frickin' 41 bowl games to go to for 82 teams. There are 129 Div I teams.

Tomey could have gone 7 out of 8 years 92-99.

Tex Olliver, 5 out of 5. Miles Casteel 9 out of 9 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_A ... ll_coaches" target="_blank

I really like RichRod, he is very personable, but he just doesn't seem to have the fire anymore.
Please don't use facts to contradict my claims.

Fake News

And RichRod seemed pretty fired up after the Cal game to me. I'm hoping Tate's emergence is going to bring a new found intensity to the entire program.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I have nothing against RR, I just think he's a one trick gimmicky pony. He's caught lightning in a bottle with Tate, which I am so thankful for since it means we as fans can give a damn about this season rather then counting the days till basketball season.

If we have done so well that RR is hired for a job he thinks is better (the bar being a South Carolina type program for a little more money, a bar established by RR himself) than that means we have pulled a 10-2 or 9-3. Awesome!

That also infers that we have enough talent in the program to attract and hungry up and comer from a low dI or high DII program to take the helm.

And since you always try to compare miller to RR, all I have to say is past performance builds political currency. Is it fair, sometimes yes, sometimes no. But it is how a lot of jobs go. The studs of an organization get higher profile projects where the rewards often are commensurate with the risks, the mid tier dudes who can never quite break though, get projects and recognition to meet their status and performance to said status.

One is out there flying all over the country, heck the freaking North Pole to land talent to sustain and push Arizona bb as a program. He's competing against himself, even if results have been one bounce of the ball or one rim shot from where we all want them to be. Personally as a fan, I can live with that because this coach cares to push his program to the top, even if he does seem fish out of water at an alumni event or two. I'll take "fish of of water" at an alumi event for stone cold, timeout calling, pac12 expletive calling, killer who knows the game of bb in and out and is willing to improve his own skill set to take us to the top. See hiring romer and meeting with Boeheim as examples of that last statement. His performance of god knows how many elite eights and fielding a competitive team and recruiting st the highest level has given miller a pass on "not yet getting to a ff" becasue it is clear he is competing for one and that's how life goes sometimes. But as the kids say, he's in it to win it.

Another has been hanging with his drinking buddies for the past 5 seasons (hell a career), fixated an offensive scheme that was novel 16years ago, and a defense scheme that only works if you are the bama's of the world. Also after catching lighting in a bottle, interviewed at one maybe two programs that he sought out, like the middle aged desk jockey away at the company convention hitting up tinder for the first time, except in this case forgot to block his Facebook friends so that wife (us) knew what was going on when he came back home. But that aside, we simply haven't been that good during his tenure to warrant the pass of "oh well, we're having a good season so root root root for RR. And his lack of recruiting before this year has been dismal. With Arizona what it is in football, it needs someone who cares a whole damn more than someone living of their rep and name from an innovative style at a program a long time ago. In short this coaches preformance to date doesn't compel this fan to extend the same degree of leverage to him.

Anyways just opinion on the matter since you asked.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Merkin wrote:

This is where I am at. I'd take it a step further and say the game beginning to pass him by.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CalStateTempe wrote:
Merkin wrote:

This is where I am at. I'd take it a step further and say the game beginning to pass him by.
Do you watch the games? Seriously, how can you watch it and think he does not have the fire and desire to do well?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I agree with you Alieb, regarding intensity to the program, but that is countered by the deep feeling that RR with slam pig us so fast then minute some lateral program offers him more cash.

So it's really hard to see RR "retiring in Tucson"

C'est la vie
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Nothing regarding my previous post? This is all you have?

Yes I do at the games religiously sir, but it takes a little more than campy preseason videos for RR to turn me on so to speak.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

PHXCATS wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:
Merkin wrote:

Do you watch the games? Seriously, how can you watch it and think he does not have the fire and desire to do well?
Anyone can take anything for 1-2 years.

Where was the recruiting prowess the previous 4?

Where was canning castell when it was clear to all that he and the 3-3-5 needed to go.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

CalStateTempe wrote:I agree with you Alieb, regarding intensity to the program, but that is countered by the deep feeling that RR with slam pig us so fast then minute some lateral program offers him more cash.

C'est la vie
He has a Star QB right now and his son is on the team. He's not going anywhere for the next couple years unless he's fired.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Don't think he leaves until Rhett is gone.

The new redshirt rule went into effect immediately, correct? So Rhett and DTate are redshirting?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

it is so hard to take machina seriously as an actual human being.

I haven't seen this fire and desire that machina does. not at all.
jimson

Post by jimson »

I'm thoroughly convinced that some of you guys are nuts. We are 5-2. No way we aren't going to win at least 1 or 2 more games this year and then have almost the entire team back next year.
The defense has improved bigly. We can't stop 3rd downs yet, but we have guys that make plays and bunch of them are freshmen.

Tate has us on national radar.

""In the middle of the LSU-Ole Miss game on ESPN last night, the broadcast broke away to a highlight of a game that included two unranked teams playing in the first quarter on the West coast.
Imagine an SEC fan watching and saying, “What in tarnation? Arizona?”If you know SEC football, and how ESPN panders to it, breaking away for something other than a highlight involving top 25 teams must be significant.
Khalil Tate is that significant.
ESPN cut into the LSU-Ole Miss game to show Tate’s 76-yard touchdown run against Cal.
The first highlight of ESPN’s College Football Final show last night? Not a play involving Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan or Notre Dame. It was Tate throwing a touchdown pass to tight end Bryce Wolma in the second overtime of Arizona’s 45-44 win over the Golden Bears.""
Javier Morales ALLSPORTSTUCSON

When they cover Tate's exploits they also have to mention things like our freshman defender sealing the game for us.
This could turn into a very important year for the program.
High School stars seeing what freshmen are doing for our team.
Could elevate recruiting immensely.
Only way RR is gone is if he parlays this into a coaching job back east.
If he does, the new coach will have a helluva young team to start with.
These are good days and could be the start of something big.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Alieberman wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:I agree with you Alieb, regarding intensity to the program, but that is countered by the deep feeling that RR with slam pig us so fast then minute some lateral program offers him more cash.

C'est la vie
He has a Star QB right now and his son is on the team. He's not going anywhere for the next couple years unless he's fired.
And that is all great! I'm with AsCat49 on this. So happy the cats are winning and fine with RR as coach. And I'm fine with him remaining coach as long as the performance dictates he should remain in the position.

I don't see the problem with believing that and also having the opinions I shared previously.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

CalStateTempe wrote:
Alieberman wrote:

C'est la vie
And that is all great! I'm with AsCat49 on this. So happy the cats are winning and fine with RR as coach. And I'm fine with him remaining coach as long as the performance dictates he should remain in the position.

I don't see the problem with believing that and also having the opinions I shared previously.
I was clearly on the fire RR train a couple weeks ago. I've done a complete 180. And it's not that I think RichRod suddenly became a good coach. But with Tate starting for the next couple years, all a new coach is going to do is cause us to lose recruits and force us to rebuild. We need to ride this wave now.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CalStateTempe wrote:Nothing regarding my previous post? This is all you have?

Yes I do at the games religiously sir, but it takes a little more than campy preseason videos for RR to turn me on so to speak.

You can have your opinions and that is fine, but I don't see things that way. I never once thought that RR was doing anything other than what he thought was best for his coaches that were loyal to him, which he acknowledged was a fault and corrected, and what he thought was best for his team to win. He runs a different system than other schools and he has been close to the promise land so I can see him trying to make it work since that what he knows and is comfortable with.

I get that some people see things differently, but if RR is very successful this year (10-2, 9-3 or I would say 8-4 is very successful this year) then I don't see why we would want him out after this year with what be was able to turn around and most of the playmakers being so young. We can agree to disagree. You I respect.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

jimson wrote:I'm thoroughly convinced that some of you guys are nuts. We are 5-2. No way we aren't going to win at least 1 or 2 more games this year and then have almost the entire team back next year.
The defense has improved bigly. We can't stop 3rd downs yet, but we have guys that make plays and bunch of them are freshmen.

""In the middle of the LSU-Ole Miss game on ESPN last night, the broadcast broke away to a highlight of a game that included two unranked teams playing in the first quarter on the West coast.
Imagine an SEC fan watching and saying, “What in tarnation? Arizona?”If you know SEC football, and how ESPN panders to it, breaking away for something other than a highlight involving top 25 teams must be significant.
ESPN cut into the LSU-Ole Miss game to show Tate’s 76-yard touchdown run against Cal.
The first highlight of ESPN’s College Football Final show last night? Not a play involving Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan or Notre Dame. It was Tate throwing a touchdown pass to tight end Bryce Wolma in the second overtime of Arizona’s 45-44 win over the Golden Bears.""

When they cover Tate's exploits they also have to mention things like our freshman defender sealing the game for us.
First highlight on College Football Wrapup was.....................Arizona v Cal
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

btfd16 wrote: The new redshirt rule went into effect immediately, correct? So Rhett and DTate are redshirting?

I don't think they vote on it until January.

No reason for DTate to redshirt, isn't he 10 years older than KTate? Also has a wife and kids.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

PHXCATS wrote:
jimson wrote:I'm thoroughly convinced that some of you guys are nuts. We are 5-2. No way we aren't going to win at least 1 or 2 more games this year and then have almost the entire team back next year.

First highlight on College Football Wrapup was.....................Arizona v Cal
Which is huge because otherwise our game highlights don't even make it on the show. Now they're saying our name and putting up our Block A. We've been nothing more than a ticker team for a couple of seasons. RichRod still has name cache with the media though and if he catches lightning in a bottle with Tate leading this young (up and coming) team, then that's great for the program. I like being part of the conversation. RichRod brought that the first few years until it all tanked.

Look if the success garners him attention, job offers and he leaves then so be it. I'll be the first to believe that he was never anything more than a carpet-bagging MF that misplayed his hand and dug himself out of a hole at our expense.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Merkin wrote:
btfd16 wrote: The new redshirt rule went into effect immediately, correct? So Rhett and DTate are redshirting?

No reason for DTate to redshirt, isn't he 10 years older than KTate? Also has a wife and kids.
Ahhh. My mistake. Well damn then.

I don't understand the Nathan Tilford thing. Texted some of the people working for the team and they aren't sure either.

An incredible stat I saw was that 8/9 of players that have rushed the football average over 5 yards per carry. 7 of the 9 have over 12 carries. The only exception is JJ Taylor at 4.7 ypc. So I guess it's not like Leon is doing bad, I just want to see the beast that is Tilford.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

BearDown89 wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

Which is huge because otherwise our game highlights don't even make it on the show. Now they're saying our name and putting up our Block A. We've been nothing more than a ticker team for a couple of seasons. RichRod still has name cache with the media though and if he catches lightning in a bottle with Tate leading this young (up and coming) team, then that's great for the program. I like being part of the conversation. RichRod brought that the first few years until it all tanked.

Look if the success garners him attention, job offers and he leaves then so be it. I'll be the first to believe that he was never anything more than a carpet-bagging MF that misplayed his hand and dug himself out of a hole at our expense.
I'm not really one to blame coaches on leaving programs for better opportunities, if you have no ties (His WV thing was a whole big mess, but I've read the administration was screwed up there). If you bring us to the point where you can get a better offer, then look out for number one. Just like any of us would do in the real world. Now, if you get sustained success (hasn't), good admin (check), resources (not really but improving) fan love (LOL) etc. then different story.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

btfd16 wrote:
Merkin wrote:

Ahhh. My mistake. Well damn then.

I don't understand the Nathan Tilford thing. Texted some of the people working for the team and they aren't sure either.

An incredible stat I saw was that 8/9 of players that have rushed the football average over 5 yards per carry. 7 of the 9 have over 12 carries. The only exception is JJ Taylor at 4.7 ypc. So I guess it's not like Leon is doing bad, I just want to see the beast that is Tilford.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

PHXCATS wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:Nothing regarding my previous post? This is all you have?

You can have your opinions and that is fine, but I don't see things that way. I never once thought that RR was doing anything other than what he thought was best for his coaches that were loyal to him, which he acknowledged was a fault and corrected, and what he thought was best for his team to win. He runs a different system than other schools and he has been close to the promise land so I can see him trying to make it work since that what he knows and is comfortable with.

I get that some people see things differently, but if RR is very successful this year (10-2, 9-3 or I would say 8-4 is very successful this year) then I don't see why we would want him out after this year with what be was able to turn around and most of the playmakers being so young. We can agree to disagree. You I respect.
8-4 would be a very successful season this year and deserving of an extension, especially given it equates to a 6-3 Conference record.

I am sure plenty of people don't like my takes and that's fine... but I don't move the goal posts based on how much I personally care for the coach.

In my view, the coach gets credit either way for good and bad seasons. We go 8-4 and RR will have done a helluva job (at a time that he needed to) and absolutely deserve credit for that.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Alieberman wrote:Bashing on RR is so stupid right now.

This is RR's 6th year.

He went to bowl games in his 1st 4 years.
Last year was horrendous.
Most people thought this year would be equally bad... if not worse.
We are on the verge of being bowl eligible again... making that 5 bowls in 6 years.... something that's never been done at Arizona.

Don't know what people really expect.
Winning conference records more often than not, and a >0.500 career conference record
4-5 in a bad year... 3-6 in a REALLY bad year (and only once every 7-8).
Beat ASU more often than not.
Be competitive in every game... road games against top 10 teams may be an exception

Scheduling 3 OOC games against non-BCS programs, combined with ~82 spots for 129 teams, makes bowl appearances completely meaningless.

It's akin to bragging about scoring a 1600 on an SAT (when they moved the top score to 2400)... vs someone who scored 1350 on a 1600 point scale.
jimson

Post by jimson »

BearDown89 wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

If he gets a job elsewhere and leaves us this promising young team, I won't consider it "at our expense."
3rdand25

Post by 3rdand25 »

Best case win-win scenario is that RR does so well here that he gets an NFL/SEC head coaching offer.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

ASUHATER! wrote:
btfd16 wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
btfd16 wrote:I agree the RR getting lucky schtick is getting old. You could also point out Trent Green/Kurt Warner. Some people are just better in practice than they are in games. Did he get lucky? Of course. Should we give a shit if it was dumb luck? No.
All I want to do is go a week where we can just be happy with this honeymoon and not have to include the asterisk of "well if Brandon didn't get hurt...". People never thought we'd be where were at. Can we enjoy it please...
No. 3 games doesn't erase the 30 in a row before that that were almost all terrible coaching.
:roll: we went to a damn Fiesta Bowl not all that long ago. "but they were Stoops guys!" - then I guess the Rams should bring Jeff Fisher back cause these are his players. We had one god awful season in between. 7-6, not great but that year was littered with injuries.
The ignorance is astounding
That is really not a valid debating tactic, Hater. You make statement. Person responds with content. You respond with insult. That's called ad hominem, and it's not very effective at convincing an audience of your point.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Puerco wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
btfd16 wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
btfd16 wrote:I agree the RR getting lucky schtick is getting old. You could also point out Trent Green/Kurt Warner. Some people are just better in practice than they are in games. Did he get lucky? Of course. Should we give a shit if it was dumb luck? No.
All I want to do is go a week where we can just be happy with this honeymoon and not have to include the asterisk of "well if Brandon didn't get hurt...". People never thought we'd be where were at. Can we enjoy it please...
No. 3 games doesn't erase the 30 in a row before that that were almost all terrible coaching.
:roll: we went to a damn Fiesta Bowl not all that long ago. "but they were Stoops guys!" - then I guess the Rams should bring Jeff Fisher back cause these are his players. We had one god awful season in between. 7-6, not great but that year was littered with injuries.
The ignorance is astounding
That is really not a valid debating tactic, Hater. You make statement. Person responds with content. You respond with insult. That's called ad hominem, and it's not very effective at convincing an audience of your point.
You..you think that was content? It was a vomit pile of rubbish.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

I thought they were valid points and an apt comparison with the Rams...
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

I'm not worried about it hahah 3 years of sitting back, not much commenting, I've seen what Hater is about. I worked for the team for 4 years, so I can tend to be a homer.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

btfd16 wrote:I'm not worried about it hahah 3 years of sitting back, not much commenting, I've seen what Hater is about. I worked for the team for 4 years, so I can tend to be a homer.
You shouldn't be. We're both just people posting our opinions online. I think yours are dumb and you probably think mine are dumb. it is what it is.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

ASUHATER! wrote:
btfd16 wrote:I'm not worried about it hahah 3 years of sitting back, not much commenting, I've seen what Hater is about. I worked for the team for 4 years, so I can tend to be a homer.
You shouldn't be. We're both just people posting our opinions online. I think yours are dumb and you probably think mine are dumb. it is what it is.
I don't mind if you think my is dumb. Just want to see actual content in your response like Puerco said.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Love Leach.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

BearDown89 wrote:Love Leach.
Lol awesome.

He would've been a great fit here.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Is he an actual, practicing mormon?
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

He is a national treasure.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

scumdevils86 wrote:Is he an actual, practicing mormon?
He was raised Mo and went to BYU, I think he's a Jack Mo.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

he def seems jack
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

If you're compiling a list of people who DGAF in college football, Leach heads the list.

When he signed his book "CJK5H" it was over.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

btfd16 wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
I don't mind if you think my is dumb. Just want to see actual content in your response like Puerco said.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

wyo-cat wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:Is he an actual, practicing mormon?
He was raised Mo and went to BYU, I think he's a Jack Mo.
And a lawyer too. I agree he'd have been a fun fit in Tucson . . .
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Leach's full quote since it pertains to this thread.
Leach addressed Rodriguez’s hot-seat situation yesterday when a reporter asked him what it is like to “coach in that sort of environment when everybody is calling for your head?”

“Well, you just ignore it,” Leach answered. “I mean, you just ignore it. They’ve already got … as a coach with rare exception, unless you’re lazy and I don’t know hardly any lazy coaches, they’ve already got everything that they got. You’re already trying as hard as you can try.

“In my opinion, you try as hard as you can, if you’re unsuccessful, screw them, you did the best you could. You don’t have anything else to offer or anything else to give.”

What Leach is getting at: Can Arizona really do better than Rodriguez, who is making the most of his resources?

“The notion that fans, alums and media somehow want to win more than the coach does … there’s never been a more absurd statement,” Leach continued. “Fans or somebody acts like they want to win so bad, well they don’t want to win as bad as the coaches and players do. It’s not even comparable. It’s not even remotely comparable. You just ignore it because you already know you are more deeply invested than anybody else to win.”
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

PHXCATS wrote:
Merkin wrote:So Machina, how did they progress, besides being made starter?

How many QBs has RichRod put in the NFL that actually completed a pass? Going back 16 years to WVU.
Improvement ... good coach?
Wait, so this is Machina?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

uhhh yep. been pretty well known around here for a year or so.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Merkin wrote:

I can say a lot of things about him that are questionable, but this one is as far off the mark as I can imagine.

He has rearranged friendships, hired a new defensive staff, grabbed a legend in Chuck Cecil, and has cajoled, schemed, grimaced, and finally hit on the answer to bringing this team back out of the pit.

We are also learning that a lot of last year's collapse was, in fact, about injuries. That you can't have 5th string RBs and converted WRs at RB and 17 year olds who don't know the offense playing and win. We win vs UW, and the whole season has a different trajectory, if JJ doesn't get snapped in the pile up late after Nick got hurt after RB2 went nuts and started punching everyone over a Frosty.

He came in, took a decent squad, got better, got to 10 wins with a Freshman QB and RB doing amazing things and a sophomore LB emerging as a star...and the wheels fell off. The QB got the football knocked out of him, the RB has tender ankles and runs too high and takes too many helmet hits, and the LB got hurt on the first frickin series of the following year and never really came back. But we squeezed a bowl out of that team...yeah, everyone gets bowls, but what it means is he squeezed a winning season out of it. He then was faced with the reality that his guy, Casteel, was not effective, and no one really was handling recruiting on that side of the ball, so he told his friend to hire new assistants and his friend refused, so he fired his now probably ex-friend. The outgoing assistants are not quiet in private settings in their hatred of RichRod, and it has everything to do with that. So he started over, essentially, and got his shit handed to him for a lack of depth, but make no mistake, last year was not a 3-9 team as reasonably constructed. But where it ended up? And what about some credit for developing Samaje into a serviceable replacement. I know, it was all the assistants. But RichRod is right there in the offensive mix. We had, at one point, a QB5 handing off to a RB5 vs USC. Sure, after some subs due to a blowout, but we had tried everyone we could. Tate wasn't ready. He had the chance.

Now, this year, after losing a class to implosion, partially his fault, partially Williams running off after 10 months, he has a team on the field that is young but experienced thanks to last year. They are winning. That offensive line is really playing well. The WRs are bought into the system and are becoming beasts blocking up field. You see the effort on every play that had waned in the midst of a season falling apart last year. RichRod is spinning and grimacing and yelling and high fiveing and smiling and hugging just like always. I see a guy who is crawling out of the grave...

And the cynical will make up some connection to a cash fund...this 30 year coach who has dug his way up from Glenville St, created an offense mimicked by teams all over the country, made it to the pinnacle in his own home area, was offered the ALABAMA job and turned it down, then had a disaster at Michigan (the truth lies in the middle of the Three and Out story and his failure, obviously), and he was given another chance at a school where the growth of the facilities was timed almost perfectly, where he could grow without too much nitpicking, and he was successful almost immediately. He has been to the top, fallen to the bottom, had his resurrection story written, then lost his grip...his entire legacy in the balance. Was he Michigan or West Virginia. Arizona has been a little of both. And I am supposed to believe he is just putting in a few hours and effort to get some more money in a life that has enriched him beyond his wildest fantasies, when he knows there is more no matter what he does (he was great in the booth, but that is small dollars)...this lifetime coach, an innovator and motivator whose entire career has been around young men, not pros, who has been to great heights, failed spectacularly, and is in the job that will largely determine what part of his history is talked about...is just tired, going through the motions, and just trying to cash out, which simultaneously in the middle of a shocking turnaround with his offense being ran by a superstar in the making who might be the best he has ever had...

And this is all about checking out...grabbin' the cash? He isn't giddy at the possibilities in front of him?

Naw...I can't be that cynical
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
If you're compiling a list of people who DGAF in college football, Leach heads the list.

When he signed his book "CJK5H" it was over.
That said...I love me some Leach and yeah...I would have rather had Mike Leach than RichRod.

But I think they are kindred spirits.

I am really hoping this week is one of those where Leach's insanity gets the best of him.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Puerco wrote:I thought they were valid points and an apt comparison with the Rams...
They were...and the stars of the Fiesta Bowl run were a freshman QB, RB, and soph LB.