Credit Where Credit is Due

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

BBQ wildcat

Re: Credit Where Credit is Due

Post by BBQ wildcat »

I am really proud of this team -- the players AND the coaches. The coaches made some 2nd half adjustments that definitely helped get us back in the game and put us in a position to win.

The defense has definitely gotten better this year, even though it certainly sometimes seems like it hasn't. I heard one commentator mention that we have already forced more 3-and-outs than all of last season.

The offense has really clicked behind Tate. Yes, he had another great rushing game. As mentioned somewhere else, there were also some great blocks ahead of him. Unfortunately, he had his worst passing game in the last 5 weeks, badly missing several throws and completing less than 50% of his passes. Everyone has a bad game now and then. He was maybe overdue.

USC just has too many very, very good players. Give their defense credit for getting 5 sacks on Tate.

Looking forward to the rest of the season. I have been very pleasantly surprised --REALLY surprised -- by this 2017 Wildcats football team.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Disambiguator wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
So in your ever so humble opinion, all fans that don't go to every game are bad fans? I'd love to hear your reasoning for that. Also, the athletic department has to earn our loyalty as fans, not the other way around.
I don't post much, but I read every post here on the football board. In my experience, it is not even your lack of attendance that makes you, your brother, and a few others shit fans. It is the INCESSANT, ANNOYING, pessimistic drum you beat and the arrogant, know-it-all, petulant attitude that you exude. RR, the team, this board, and the world at large deserve wayyyyy more than your never-ending, snarky ignorance. Give that shit a rest, Eeyore!
cc: scumdevil, chiefzona, and a few others I prefer to forget.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

PHXCATS wrote:I never said the word or term "bad" or "bad fan" so you must either being misreading or sensitive about something or both.

You can be a fan, a great fan, a huge fan and not go to games. Everyone has reasons that they can't go or reasons why going isn't ideal for them. Does not make them better or worse fans or people.

So let's make sure that is perfectly clear.

Now we must also get to the point where we realize that college sports and pro sports are different. College needs financial support and butts in the seats all the time. For recruiting, for tv rights, for kickoff times, for financing the team's budget and projects as well as the other non revenue sports.

Pro sports don't have the same things going on so it is a lot different.

What U of A needs to get to the next level is support to go forward with projects and help recruiting and many other things.

You can be a fan and not a supporter and that's fine. But supporters are needed and the supporters are the ones that should have their opinions weighed by the AD.
Dilly Dilly
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

UALoco wrote:I can't wait for the season to start. The expectations are about as low as I've ever experienced. Hopefully that sets us up for a nice upside surprise. I don't believe in the "root for them to fail so we can make a change" mentality. If it is RR's time to go, it is his time to go. If he makes good, however unlikely, I am happy for him and hope for more to come. Beardown cabrones.
I thought I'd provide a reminder of some of the positivity I was feeling this summer with the comment above. If folks don't know why there is a lashback against the haters on the board, some of us had to swallow sarcastic, negative responses all off season from you guys. Some are willing to admit they were wrong and eat crow. The die-hard, jerk-offs who continue with the hate are showing their true colors. What a truly miserable bunch.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

UALoco wrote:
UALoco wrote:I can't wait for the season to start. The expectations are about as low as I've ever experienced. Hopefully that sets us up for a nice upside surprise. I don't believe in the "root for them to fail so we can make a change" mentality. If it is RR's time to go, it is his time to go. If he makes good, however unlikely, I am happy for him and hope for more to come. Beardown cabrones.
I thought I'd provide a reminder of some of the positivity I was feeling this summer with the comment above. If folks don't know why there is a lashback against the haters on the board, some of us had to swallow sarcastic, negative responses all off season from you guys. Some are willing to admit they were wrong and eat crow. The die-hard, jerk-offs who continue with the hate are showing their true colors. What a truly miserable bunch.
It is truly fascinating to watch people this much in the dark try to fumble around in their posts. Us "negative"(realistic) people aren't hating on the program itself or the players or the team or the accomplishments we have had this year. No one has done anything of the sort. But somehow people like you seeing any criticism of any kind triggers you into calling everyone haters. That kind of thinking is far worse than anything the "negative" people have done.

It is fully acceptable to be critical of the coaching staff and recruiting and the direction of the program underneath them. I don't get why that is so damn hard to understand. It's like you want everything to be sunshine and rainbows and lies all the time so you don't ever have to answer hard questions. I hope to God you don't approach your personal life like this.

But I guess us "negatives" should just follow the crowd right and never say anything critical of anything related to the football program right? I assume that is what you want. From now on, it'll be all sunshine rainbows and puppy dogs.

Extend RR til 2030!!
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Rick Kane

Post by Rick Kane »

Macho Grande wrote:
Rick Kane wrote:
Hey ASULOVER! just leave. Football program does not need "Fans" like you. I bet you do not even go to games, don't even donate to the Wildcat Club, and do nothing to help the program but just sit their and complain.

How any U of A fan could be upset at the state of our program right now is beyond me. We just played our asses off against a team that has superior talent at literally every single position. I was at the game and was so proud of how we came back and fought. Our defense is not ready yet but honestly what defense in the PAC 12 can stop USC? WSU I guess but we made that defense look stupid.

I had close seats to our sideline and I saw Tate rallying our team like few U of A QB's before. The players truly love Tate and his grit and fight.

Sure, I wish we won but the only expectation I ever have for my Arizona Wildcats is they play hard. Sports like Life does not always work out the way you want it to. But if we play hard, I am always proud.

That U of A team left it all on the field last night.

I bet you next year, we beat USC at home.

Its November and U of A still has a lot to play for with a very young team that has played hard all year...If you can not be proud of that just leave. We do not need you. We need real fans who support the program in good times and bad.

Silence. The "level headed" know-it-all has spoken. We shouldn't be happy and that's that. I always figured that following a football team without finding reasons to get enjoyment and happiness out of it was kinda pointless and stupid, but apparently I was wrong. Image
Shouldnt be happy? What are you talking about. I think if you are a true fan of the U of A football program you should be very happy with the state of the program and team right now. Sure losing last night sucks but we lost a game we were not favored in. We lost a game we were down big in an opponents stadium against far superior recruit that we almost came back to win. Its November and we have a winning record. We also have a VERY young team. We could bring back basically the entire offense next year outside of Alsadek and De Beer and a ton of the defense. Our recruiting is not close to being over in this class either.

If you can not find joy or happiness with this team, I am sorry but please just stop being a U of A fan. We dont need you. This team was picked to finish last, coming off a very tough injury filled year that started with one of our players dying. This year we have shown dramatic improvement. Are we a Top 10 team, no. But these players fight and play hard and represent the U of A well. We got blasted by WSU and USC last year and we beat WSU this year and played USC tough. Thats improvement.

I am damn proud to support this program and Rich Rod. Anyone who hates me or thinks I am an idiot for my views can kiss my ass.

Bear Down for Life
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

A good fan speaking the truth.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

ASUHATER! wrote:
UALoco wrote:
It is truly fascinating to watch people this much in the dark try to fumble around in their posts. Us "negative"(realistic) people aren't hating on the program itself or the players or the team or the accomplishments we have had this year. No one has done anything of the sort. But somehow people like you seeing any criticism of any kind triggers you into calling everyone haters. That kind of thinking is far worse than anything the "negative" people have done.

It is fully acceptable to be critical of the coaching staff and recruiting and the direction of the program underneath them. I don't get why that is so damn hard to understand. It's like you want everything to be sunshine and rainbows and lies all the time so you don't ever have to answer hard questions. I hope to God you don't approach your personal life like this.

But I guess us "negatives" should just follow the crowd right and never say anything critical of anything related to the football program right? I assume that is what you want. From now on, it'll be all sunshine rainbows and puppy dogs.

Extend RR til 2030!!

I love this stuff from you Hater. This is why I think you are so entertaining. I love it when you go off on a tirade and tell us how no one but you has a clue about the program and somehow you're negativity is a light to the program. Truly a college football program needs all types of fans for many different reasons. Please keep posting. You and Chief always make me smile. I certainly haven't seen to many fumble around with their posts. They pretty much tell you what they think of you. LOL
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

tgrumpy2 wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
UALoco wrote:

Extend RR til 2030!!

I love this stuff from you Hater. This is why I think you are so entertaining. I love it when you go off on a tirade and tell us how no one but you has a clue about the program and somehow you're negativity is a light to the program. Truly a college football program needs all types of fans for many different reasons. Please keep posting. You and Chief always make me smile. I certainly haven't seen to many fumble around with their posts. They pretty much tell you what they think of you. LOL
The last thing I have done is claim any sort of capacity as a "light" to the program. I apologize if you cannot understand the written word, but I have never done anything like that. You're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine. There are just a ton of people on this board that seem hell bent on squashing any dissent or criticism against RR with an iron fist. So if anything, your description is far more apt for them, not me. I am simply telling my point of view, which I view to be the realistic and level headed and sane one. Disagree all you like, but don't participate in the rampage of some people on here to eliminate all thoughts that aren't sunshine and rainbows 24/7.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

I’m just enjoying the ride. A couple glass slippers broke Saturday, us and Iowa State, it was fun while it lasted.
jimson

Post by jimson »

Remember the guy who thinks RR should be fired even if we win 9 games this year?

That's who you are trying to have a reasonable discussion with.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Merkin wrote:I don't think anyone is calling for RichRod's head next season any more. Give him one more year.

Since Tate is a sophomore, he may be here only one more year anyway.

Sure hate to be a HC the following year without Tate.
I don't know. If Tate can create some recruiting momentum for the next two seasons, that may not be as big of an issue. With Tate gone, hopefully the surrounding pieces are that much better than we have now and less reliant on one great player.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

wyo-cat wrote:I’m just enjoying the ride. A couple glass slippers broke Saturday, us and Iowa State, it was fun while it lasted.
Don’t get me wrong... this season has been a really, really pleasant surprise, and I am REALLY happy... we have been MUCH better than I expected.

But let’s Be real; Iowa State has beaten 2 top 10 teams... and we have only won 1 game against a ranked opponent. Not the same thing.

As much as we.wouod like to believe our season and theirs are equivalent to date... THEY... ARE... NOT... CLOSE
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

To be fair, Hater, there were a lot of people trying to squash any positive thoughts being expressed about the team and/or the coach, so you can't cry foul in reverse now.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

zonagrad wrote:
Merkin wrote:I don't think anyone is calling for RichRod's head next season any more. Give him one more year.

Since Tate is a sophomore, he may be here only one more year anyway.

Sure hate to be a HC the following year without Tate.
I don't know. If Tate can create some recruiting momentum for the next two seasons, that may not be as big of an issue. With Tate gone, hopefully the surrounding pieces are that much better than we have now and less reliant on one great player.
Jamarye Joiner from Cienega could very well be Tate's replacement.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Harvey Specter wrote:
wyo-cat wrote:I’m just enjoying the ride. A couple glass slippers broke Saturday, us and Iowa State, it was fun while it lasted.
Don’t get me wrong... this season has been a really, really pleasant surprise, and I am REALLY happy... we have been MUCH better than I expected.

But let’s Be real; Iowa State has beaten 2 top 10 teams... and we have only won 1 game against a ranked opponent. Not the same thing.

As much as we.wouod like to believe our season and theirs are equivalent to date... THEY... ARE... NOT... CLOSE
They are very similar. Both were terrible teams last year and had a big turnaround this year. Quite honestly, with the surprising performances by Tate we are better situated for future success than the Clones, IMHO.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

7 home games next year helps also.
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

Harvey Specter wrote:

How many bowls has Iowa State been to vs. much-maligned Rich Rod?

2012: AZ 8-5, ISU 6-7
2013: AZ 8-5, ISU 3-9
2014: AZ 10-4, ISU 2-10
2015: AZ 7-6, ISU 3-9
2016: AZ 3-9, ISU 3-9
2017: AZ 6-3, ISU 6-3

This is not to say that RR is some sort of demigod, but the twisting and turning to bash the program is both predictable and pathetic. ISU and AZ came off bad seasons to become forces in their conferences. That makes them similar. End of story.

If the people bemoaning this season's current success can't enjoy the year, then what's the point? Why follow AZ football at all? Just stick to BBall if you want to be competing for a NC every year, because it's teams like this that you'll have to embrace to get any enjoyment out of the football program.
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

wyo-cat wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:

They are very similar. Both were terrible teams last year and had a big turnaround this year. Quite honestly, with the surprising performances by Tate we are better situated for future success than the Clones, IMHO.
We may not be competing for a P12 South title this year, but with 3 winnable games remaining, and a bowl on the horizon, RR and the team have an opportunity to turn in his best record here ever...
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

why should I care about Iowa State? Huh? They are arguable a bottom 3 power 5 conference football program of all time.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

How crazy would it be if Colorado upsets USC? Weirder things have happened. The USC vs UCLA game is never predictable...USC would be playing their 12th game in row w/o a bye.

We just need to focus on the next game and beat those beavers.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

ASUHATER! wrote:
tgrumpy2 wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
UALoco wrote:

Extend RR til 2030!!

The last thing I have done is claim any sort of capacity as a "light" to the program. I apologize if you cannot understand the written word, but I have never done anything like that. You're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine. There are just a ton of people on this board that seem hell bent on squashing any dissent or criticism against RR with an iron fist. So if anything, your description is far more apt for them, not me. I am simply telling my point of view, which I view to be the realistic and level headed and sane one. Disagree all you like, but don't participate in the rampage of some people on here to eliminate all thoughts that aren't sunshine and rainbows 24/7.

There you go again Hater, always entertaining me. Please take your own advice and reread my post. You'll see that not only did I not disagree with you I even stated we need fans of all kinds and that's including you. All I said was you entertain me and its the truth. You truly entertain me. You do however seem to disparage anyone with a positive opinion which seems to imply your negativity is somehow a light and people that don't embrace it don't have a clue. I think this program has many deficiencies and although I'm enjoying the heck out of this year I want to see continued improvement. RichRod will fix it or he won't and we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. You continuing to throw tantrums because he wasn't fired last year just gets old to a lot of people. Personally I enjoy it, it entertains me. LOL
Rick Kane

Post by Rick Kane »

UALoco wrote:How crazy would it be if Colorado upsets USC? Weirder things have happened. The USC vs UCLA game is never predictable...USC would be playing their 12th game in row w/o a bye.

I agree 100%, lets take one game at a time and you never know what could happen. We made the PAC 12 Championship game losing to both USC and UCLA so crazy things can always happen.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

UALoco wrote:How crazy would it be if Colorado upsets USC? Weirder things have happened. The USC vs UCLA game is never predictable...USC would be playing their 12th game in row w/o a bye.

I cant remember the time the UCLA-USC game was unpredictable, maybe in like 2001? UCLA is down to their third string QB, their three best receivers are out, the OL can't block and the run defense is the worst defense in the NCAA since 2001.

Don't count on UCLA doing you guys any favors