The #2 punter in Junior College plays at Pima

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azgreg

Re: The #2 punter in Junior College plays at Pima

Post by azgreg »

Need any help moving those goalposts? You don't want to hurt your back.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

Alpha chiefdom wrote:Juco players are still hit or miss. Arizona hit with dane cruikshank and missed with a paul magloire. I understand every team has juco players. You just better be sure they're the right fit. Schools like Alabama are so loaded with 5 stars if they take a chance on a juco it doesn't hurt them if the player is a flop.
Every recruit is a potential bust. But JUCO guys are a lot less risky because a) they have two years remaining on scholarship and b) they are more developed than HS kids. There are probably HS punters better than Bowers but we are not in the running for those guys. Bowers is literally right down the street and would upgrade the position. Locking him up should be a no-brainer.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

And not for nothing, Bowers looks like a high-character guy. He's unlikely to be a bust for off-field issues. Proven track record, committed to success, not a headcase. Checks all the boxes. He could get injured like any other player, but see above.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

scumdevils86 wrote:Alpha is definitely machina's aggressive sock persona
If I find out this is the case there will be permabans. A number of sock accounts have been popping up and will not be tolerated. Not accusing anyone, but I will be more diligent in looking for multiple accounts.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Alpha chiefdom wrote:Do you guys realize pima is terrible? You guys are hung up on him being #2 juco punter. His stats should be awesome because he was punting all the time. The haters already bitching about this class and now they're upset that a punter from sorry pima supposedly got ignored. Like I said in earlier post this is a hit piece for the rrod rod haters to jump on. If the kid is really that good he would have never been at a juco
Maybe to see if he is really that good, someone from the coaching staff should have taken fifteen minutes to watch him punt in person...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

What would any UA football fan would say was the worst performing position on this season's football team be?

Note, there are 129 teams in FBS.

and not even close to #128.

FlyonWall

Post by FlyonWall »

TatetheGreat wrote:And not for nothing, Bowers looks like a high-character guy. He's unlikely to be a bust for off-field issues. Proven track record, committed to success, not a headcase. Checks all the boxes. He could get injured like any other player, but see above.
Depends on your definition of high-character. He did say he was sorry though.

http://www.nj.com/education/2016/11/im_ ... te_af.html
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Now glad he was blown off. What a Scumbag!!
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

FlyonWall wrote:
TatetheGreat wrote:And not for nothing, Bowers looks like a high-character guy. He's unlikely to be a bust for off-field issues. Proven track record, committed to success, not a headcase. Checks all the boxes. He could get injured like any other player, but see above.
Depends on your definition of high-character. He did say he was sorry though.

http://www.nj.com/education/2016/11/im_ ... te_af.html
Mic drop

Wow...haha...you can almost hear the trucks backing up
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

scumdevils86 wrote:Lol where are the rich rod defenders and blowhards? Trash coach.
Right here bro...so you were saying?
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Merkin wrote:Guess RichRod still isn't taking ST seriously.

http://tucson.com/ua-gives-pima-recruit ... 8ec05.html" target="_blank

Pima College football coach Jim Monaco was not happy at the way UA football coach Rich Rodriguez treated PCC’s second-team All-American punter John Bowers.

UA assistant coach Brian Knorr visited Bowers at PCC and watched Bowers, who was second in NJCAA with a 45-yard average last season, kick 20 or 30 punts. The UA invited Bowers to audition at Arizona Stadium a day later. When Bowers arrived, no UA coaches were there to meet him. He waited for about an hour and was finally told there would be no audition.
Guess he knew something everyone else didn’t. Feels good to be an arm chair QB when you hear the reasons why he wasn’t offered.
Rick Kane

Post by Rick Kane »

Wow, look at the Rich Rod Haters coming out in full force when a quick internet search could have easily shown what an absolute scumbag this punter was. Any reason to hate Rich Rod I guess. Just blows my mind by all these so called "Fans"

Next time Greg Hansen writes something...my advice is take it with a MASSIVE grain of salt
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Rick Kane wrote:Wow, look at the Rich Rod Haters coming out in full force when a quick internet search could have easily shown what an absolute scumbag this punter was.
You imply having done your research/homework is so important, so I’ll assume you’ve done yours and jump right to the questions.

1. Did the staff send someone out to see this guy a couple days ago? (Seems weird that they would if THEY had done their homework on his past, but I assume since you’ve done YOUR homework you know whether or not THEY did theirs)

2. Did the staff member that was sent set up a meeting/try out?

3. Did our staff members not show up to the planned meeting/try out?

Homework is important, so we wait to see your knowing research.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Who cares at this point. :lol:
SoutherAZ

Post by SoutherAZ »

You really had to turn that into a 3 strikes and you're out question? One wasn't enough? Hansen wrote "...He waited for about an hour and was finally told there would be no audition." Hansen's own words say someone came out and told Bowers there would be no audition. Who cares if or when they found out about the accusations. If offered, you'd have created 3 questions asking how RichRod and staff could have offered a rapist a scholarship. Seems like a no win situation, and we'll never know what really happened because I doubt the UofA will ever acknowledge they even talked to the kid. Too much!
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

SoutherAZ wrote:You really had to turn that into a 3 strikes and you're out question? One wasn't enough? Hansen wrote "...He waited for about an hour and was finally told there would be no audition." Hansen's own words say someone came out and told Bowers there would be no audition. Who cares if or when they found out about the accusations. If offered, you'd have created 3 questions asking how RichRod and staff could have offered a rapist a scholarship. Seems like a no win situation, and we'll never know what really happened because I doubt the UofA will ever acknowledge they even talked to the kid. Too much!
I actually only care in so much as it continues to show their incompetence, that the fact these allegations might exist make what seemed to occur ACTUALLY WORSE than the shit situation that was initially reported.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

SCCats wrote:
SoutherAZ wrote:You really had to turn that into a 3 strikes and you're out question? One wasn't enough? Hansen wrote "...He waited for about an hour and was finally told there would be no audition." Hansen's own words say someone came out and told Bowers there would be no audition. Who cares if or when they found out about the accusations. If offered, you'd have created 3 questions asking how RichRod and staff could have offered a rapist a scholarship. Seems like a no win situation, and we'll never know what really happened because I doubt the UofA will ever acknowledge they even talked to the kid. Too much!
I actually only care in so much as it continues to show their incompetence, that the fact these allegations might exist make what seemed to occur ACTUALLY WORSE than the shit situation that was initially reported.
Exactly. Guy was trash. Our coaches are trash. Nothing more to be said. Go ahead and gloat over this for whatever reason rrod apologists. Weird thing to cling to.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

If anything looks like a failure in chain of command/communication if they offered or had informal tryouts or whatever before getting to point as described in the Hansen article.

Which isn't surprising with a RR staff:
SoutherAZ

Post by SoutherAZ »

LOL, spin your narrative boys!
FlyonWall

Post by FlyonWall »

I understand both arguments, that this shows incompetence for not knowing in the first place, or competence for pulling back before it was too late. But the bigger question to me is why we are looking for a Juco, walk-on, second-chance type fix in the first place? Why wasn't a scholarship set aside for this position and a top high school punter sought? And if the 25 man limit for whatever reason made a 2018 freshman punter scholarship too "expensive" why isn't a Juco or transfer scholarship being considered? It seems we always look to do special teams on the cheap. Some teams even offer a freshman scholarship to long snappers, not us though.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Because RR wants another safety or 5'8" slot :)
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Rick Kane

Post by Rick Kane »

SCCats wrote:
Rick Kane wrote:Wow, look at the Rich Rod Haters coming out in full force when a quick internet search could have easily shown what an absolute scumbag this punter was.
You imply having done your research/homework is so important, so I’ll assume you’ve done yours and jump right to the questions.

1. Did the staff send someone out to see this guy a couple days ago? (Seems weird that they would if THEY had done their homework on his past, but I assume since you’ve done YOUR homework you know whether or not THEY did theirs)

2. Did the staff member that was sent set up a meeting/try out?

3. Did our staff members not show up to the planned meeting/try out?

Homework is important, so we wait to see your knowing research.
My research

First off Greg Hansen wrote this article. A person who never goes to any u of a practices or interacts with any u of a coaches. Literally everyone inside our athletic department hates him. The same guy who left off Lute Olson as one of the greatest sports figures in Tucson last summer. The guy sucks beyond belief and just loves to create controversy out of nothing. Did it with Lute a bunch of times

I never believe anything he says and if you were a u of a fan you shouldn’t either.

Secondly maybe originally Knorr didn’t do his research then did it and realized man this guy is a total scum bag. Happens all the time. Hansen is making a huge deal out of nothing. Look at haki woods, puma kid who committed to us then got an Oregon offer and quickly decommited.

You guys act like rich rod is the anti christ. Thank god we didn’t fire Rich Rod last year because if we did our 2017 recruiting class probably blows up and this year and next couple years would look way worse.
Alpha chiefdom

Post by Alpha chiefdom »

Be careful you might get accused of being a machina or sock or whatever the hell they call you around here if you don't bash rrod on this board. I knew something about this story was off but the haters jumped on it thinking it proved their point that rich rod is the worst coach ever.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

SoutherAZ wrote:LOL, spin your narrative boys!
:lol:

I’m getting dizzy from all the backtracking and spinning
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Are we confirming that the reason we cancelled the try out was because the kid had a past? I mean its not like RR hasn't given kids a second chance and recruited them before? Just curious on if anyone knows
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

azcat49 wrote:Are we confirming that the reason we cancelled the try out was because the kid had a past? I mean its not like RR hasn't given kids a second chance and recruited them before? Just curious on if anyone knows
Has there even been anyone outside of Pima that there was ever a try out?
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

FlyonWall wrote:I understand both arguments, that this shows incompetence for not knowing in the first place, or competence for pulling back before it was too late. But the bigger question to me is why we are looking for a Juco, walk-on, second-chance type fix in the first place? Why wasn't a scholarship set aside for this position and a top high school punter sought? And if the 25 man limit for whatever reason made a 2018 freshman punter scholarship too "expensive" why isn't a Juco or transfer scholarship being considered? It seems we always look to do special teams on the cheap. Some teams even offer a freshman scholarship to long snappers, not us though.
Well, you see... even though RR makes millions of dollars a year putting up mediocre to poor results, his kid needs a scholarship to hold his dad’s headphones cord.

Sorry, but kids who could actually help us on the field are just supposed to materialize out of thin air and walk on. Best damn walk on program in the universe.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
jimson

Post by jimson »

"but...but....... he might not even have known the kid was a rapist and that makes RR even worse" LOL. You haters are funny.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

jimson wrote:"but...but....... he might not even have known the kid was a rapist and that makes RR even worse" LOL. You haters are funny.
Name a valid reason to want RR as head coach.

Nevermind, I don't feel like waiting for eternity.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:
FlyonWall wrote:I understand both arguments, that this shows incompetence for not knowing in the first place, or competence for pulling back before it was too late. But the bigger question to me is why we are looking for a Juco, walk-on, second-chance type fix in the first place? Why wasn't a scholarship set aside for this position and a top high school punter sought? And if the 25 man limit for whatever reason made a 2018 freshman punter scholarship too "expensive" why isn't a Juco or transfer scholarship being considered? It seems we always look to do special teams on the cheap. Some teams even offer a freshman scholarship to long snappers, not us though.
Well, you see... even though RR makes millions of dollars a year putting up mediocre to poor results, his kid needs a scholarship to hold his dad’s headphones cord.

Sorry, but kids who could actually help us on the field are just supposed to materialize out of thin air and walk on. Best damn walk on program in the universe.
I am not backing RR on this at all, but it is fair to recognize that the vast majority of programs do go the route of preferred-walk on with the promise of obtaining a scholarship if you perform type deal with punters and long snappers in particular. Now when your preferred walk on and coach them up strategy doesn't work you need to address this via a scholarship punter. RR had his chance when he had the #4 ranked punter in the nation on campus a month ago, but he offered him a preferred walk on and our only competition offered him a scholarship, which due to our current situation is an utter failure IMO.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Lol. I love hearing those stories choo. What a joke of a coach we have.

Dude clearly doesn't want to win when he neglects, for Arizona and for many teams, a very important part of the game.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

And I'll own it...I don't hate because that is a very strong word, and I like RR as a color commentary and PR guy, but dislike him as a coach and don't think he's a good fit for Arizona moving forward. That may be a year or two down the line but I'll own my views on his coaching/running the program till proven otherwise.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Religion, politics, and is RR a good HC for Arizona. No one is changing anyone's mind, only driving them further into their arguments and resulting in bashing of the person instead. This is getting exhausting.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

CalStateTempe wrote:Lol. I love hearing those stories choo. What a joke of a coach we have.

Dude clearly doesn't want to win when he neglects, for Arizona and for many teams, a very important part of the game.
I can stomach it if we have multiple bigger needs, but he can absolutely sacrifice a fricken 2 star sub 6 foot receiver or 2 to improve a part of our game that is ranked worse in the nation.
jimson

Post by jimson »

LOL

"RR is incompetent for bungling the recruitment of a talented JC punter."

(Turns out to be a rapist)

"RR is incompetent for ever having to look toward a JC punter."
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ChooChooCat wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:Lol. I love hearing those stories choo. What a joke of a coach we have.

I can stomach it if we have multiple bigger needs, but he can absolutely sacrifice a fricken 2 star sub 6 foot receiver or 2 to improve a part of our game that is ranked worse in the nation.
I didnt know that all punters are signed except for this guy
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

This is simple. Are you are are you not okay with our coach getting a lifetime contract and being rewarded for winning 7 games per year on average and having a losing conference record and absolutely no successful recruiting other than stumbling into talented low ranked players. If you think that should be rewarded then you are one of the "supporters" here that should just throw in the towel and not ever be upset that we lose a game or are perpetually mediocre. If you think that kind of record should not be rewarded and supported then I guess you are a "hater" and feel like we should shoot higher for our program.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

CalStateTempe wrote:And I'll own it...I don't hate because that is a very strong word, and I like RR as a color commentary and PR guy, but dislike him as a coach and don't think he's a good fit for Arizona moving forward. That may be a year or two down the line but I'll own my views on his coaching/running the program till proven otherwise.

I agree with this. He just needs to win. The 7 got him next year and in my mind he needs 8 minimum with a win over ASSU. Tate's RR year he needs 9. Anything less and we blow him out. Any extension should not pass Tate's eligibility.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

jimson wrote:LOL

Both of these things can absolutely be true.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

jimson wrote:LOL

:lol:

Bunch of clowns right?
FlyonWall

Post by FlyonWall »

ChooChooCat wrote: I am not backing RR on this at all, but it is fair to recognize that the vast majority of programs do go the route of preferred-walk on with the promise of obtaining a scholarship if you perform type deal with punters and long snappers in particular. Now when your preferred walk on and coach them up strategy doesn't work you need to address this via a scholarship punter. RR had his chance when he had the #4 ranked punter in the nation on campus a month ago, but he offered him a preferred walk on and our only competition offered him a scholarship, which due to our current situation is an utter failure IMO.
I am not sure if you are accurate that the vast majority go the preferred walk-on route but I will concede that some, or many, do. But many also give scholarships. For example see https://kohlskicking.com/national-playe ... nters/2018 for the top 2018 punters who have scholarship offers. You can also search the prior years to see the breakdown between scholarships versus preferred walk-ons.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

FlyonWall wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote: I am not backing RR on this at all, but it is fair to recognize that the vast majority of programs do go the route of preferred-walk on with the promise of obtaining a scholarship if you perform type deal with punters and long snappers in particular. Now when your preferred walk on and coach them up strategy doesn't work you need to address this via a scholarship punter. RR had his chance when he had the #4 ranked punter in the nation on campus a month ago, but he offered him a preferred walk on and our only competition offered him a scholarship, which due to our current situation is an utter failure IMO.
I am not sure if you are accurate that the vast majority go the preferred walk-on route but I will concede that some, or many, do. But many also give scholarships. For example see https://kohlskicking.com/national-playe ... nters/2018 for the top 2018 punters who have scholarship offers. You can also search the prior years to see the breakdown between scholarships versus preferred walk-ons.
Certainly plenty of schools do offer scholarships to punters out of HS or JUCO, but most schools do the walk on to scholarship route. I'm not against that route at all if it's working, but for Arizona quite frankly it is not. We should've offered the kid who visited a month ago or the Pima punter. Instead we added another slot WR cause why the fuck not?
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

btfd16 wrote:Religion, politics, and is RR a good HC for Arizona. No one is changing anyone's mind, only driving them further into their arguments and resulting in bashing of the person instead. This is getting exhausting.

I agree with you 100%. I've been trying to stay entertained with it all but its becoming really tedious.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

would be nice if we could kick Rrod to the curb just so we can have the harmony of everyone being excited together for our next mediocre and disappointing coaching tenure.
Last edited by scumdevils86 on Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Kane

Post by Rick Kane »

ASUHATER! wrote:
jimson wrote:"but...but....... he might not even have known the kid was a rapist and that makes RR even worse" LOL. You haters are funny.

Because while rich rod is not nick saban he is a decent coach and his teams are fun to watch and the players like playing for him. Notice how four former players of his are on our staff

And if we fire him we have a decent to good chance of hiring someone way worse like John Mackovic or some other retread.

Don’t believe me, look at ASU this year. They fired a decent coach and their program is going to fall in the crapper. Dumbest move ever and will set ASU back ten years. I am glad they did it but graham was a decent to good coach.

This is Arizona football. I am not dumb enough to think we can be anything great so I accept what we are and enjoy it. Because again this is sports, not real life so I have almost no control over it. Well a little bit more control since the athletic department knows who I am where many here are nobody’s to them.

My advice to people like you is go cheer for Alabama. Pull a Byrne and go somewhere that can achieve great football success. Demanding success for Arizona football is fucking stupid. We have never been a successful program. Demanding success for a sports team in general is fucking stupid as fans have so little control. Demanding or wanting success when you do not financially support a sport is the worst of them all.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Still no one has said one name
jimson

Post by jimson »

ASUHATER! wrote:

Your mind is made up and there is no reason that you would ever see as valid, so I won't waste my time.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Rick Kane wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:

Because while rich rod is not nick saban he is a decent coach and his teams are fun to watch and the players like playing for him. Notice how four former players of his are on our staff

And if we fire him we have a decent to good chance of hiring someone way worse like John Mackovic or some other retread.

Don’t believe me, look at ASU this year. They fired a decent coach and their program is going to fall in the crapper. Dumbest move ever and will set ASU back ten years. I am glad they did it but graham was a decent to good coach.

This is Arizona football. I am not dumb enough to think we can be anything great so I accept what we are and enjoy it. Because again this is sports, not real life so I have almost no control over it. Well a little bit more control since the athletic department knows who I am where many here are nobody’s to them.

My advice to people like you is go cheer for Alabama. Pull a Byrne and go somewhere that can achieve great football success. Demanding success for Arizona football is fucking stupid. We have never been a successful program. Demanding success for a sports team in general is fucking stupid as fans have so little control. Demanding or wanting success when you do not financially support a sport is the worst of them all.
ASU fired their coach, who had a better conference record than RR and had a winning record versus RR and paid him a $12 million buyout and all of that just to hire a guy who hasn't coached in a decade and hasn't coached in college for 3 decades. Arizona could fire RR tomorrow and still wouldn't have made as stupid of a decision as ASU just did. Fire RR after next season and his buyout is minimal and you go out there and hire the best possible candidate you can. The odds of getting a Mackovic are ridiculously slim, because where the hell else has a situation like that ever occurred? Baylor basketball with Bliss?

The fear of "Oh no we can hire Mackovic again" crap is so stupid I don't even know where to begin unless of course we move the football offices back into McKale and demolish the entire north end zone.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PHXCATS wrote:Still no one has said one name
Nathaniel Hackett, look him up and stfu already.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

jimson wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:

Your mind is made up and there is no reason that you would ever see as valid, so I won't waste my time.
Don't worry about Heisman Trophy favorite
Or PAC12 South Favorites