Arizona Coaching Search

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ramcat

Re: Arizona Coaching Search

Post by ramcat »

AZ alum claiming trusted source, says Sumlin.

https://twitter.com/cjbec/status/950786 ... twterm%5E0" target="_blank
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Why would we go for Charlie Strong when we have The Neal Brown. Ha. You know some of the names are meant to force hands of other candidates.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Sumlin isn’t a done deal But it’s very close. He wants to bring someone in who is a little higher on the scale. They’re trying to work that out.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

chiefzona wrote:Sumlin isn’t a done deal But it’s very close. He wants to bring someone in who is a little higher on the scale. They’re trying to work that out.
I feel confident it will get done. Heeke can survive a Sumlin hiccup. He can't survive if he went with Brown/Baldwin and they failed.
prh

Post by prh »

chiefzona wrote:Sumlin isn’t a done deal But it’s very close. He wants to bring someone in who is a little higher on the scale. They’re trying to work that out.
Chief, do you think there's any chance Sumlin and any of his staff are at the team meeting tonight? That seems almost too obvious.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

If Heeke can get Sumlin and able to bring in who Sumlin wants also would be a heck of a job by Heeke. Ny Arizona fandom keeps those hopes in check.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Finish this search already!
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

prh wrote:
Chief, do you think there's any chance Sumlin and any of his staff are at the team meeting tonight? That seems almost too obvious.

It does seem too obvious. That I don’t know.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Is he possibly keeping Yates?

could save money that way
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

As O coordinator? Keeping Yates?
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Is Mazzone the coach?
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

gronk4heisman wrote:Is Mazzone the coach?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.goodbu ... s-football" target="_blank

Made about $1 mil then $800K
TX AGGIE

Post by TX AGGIE »

Howdy Wildcats! Please let me say that I am in NO way here to troll! I was a strong Sumlin supporter and I believe that if he lands at Arizona, y'all are getting one hell of a coach. Chief has already signed with the Razorbacks, but trust me, he would not have fit in the PAC12. Not sure about Mazzone, but he would be a good fit. there is also a chance that he may bring Jeff Banks with him, he was our interim HC and by far our best recruiter (think Allen and Kirk). He will also bring McKinney (RBs) good recruiter with solid Houston ties and a good coach. Not sure about the rest, Turner, Cooper and Moorehead,

Y'all have one great QB out there, and Sumlin will take him to new heights for sure. If Sumlin does in deed lead your program, get ready, he's gonna take off!

If anyone has any questions about him please fire away, I would be more than happy to add any insight at all.
HaCats

Post by HaCats »

Thanks Aggie. What was the deal with the quarterbacks all leaving? Fluke or something systemic?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TX AGGIE wrote:Howdy Wildcats! Please let me say that I am in NO way here to troll! I was a strong Sumlin supporter and I believe that if he lands at Arizona, y'all are getting one hell of a coach. Chief has already signed with the Razorbacks, but trust me, he would not have fit in the PAC12. Not sure about Mazzone, but he would be a good fit. there is also a chance that he may bring Jeff Banks with him, he was our interim HC and by far our best recruiter (think Allen and Kirk). He will also bring McKinney (RBs) good recruiter with solid Houston ties and a good coach. Not sure about the rest, Turner, Cooper and Moorehead,

Y'all have one great QB out there, and Sumlin will take him to new heights for sure. If Sumlin does in deed lead your program, get ready, he's gonna take off!

If anyone has any questions about him please fire away, I would be more than happy to add any insight at all.
Hi. Full disclosure, I've posted stuff not entirely being convinced on Sumlin earlier, although I do like him better than some other names that have surfaced.

My question would be how you assess the reason he was fired? It seems like A&M wasn't happy with .500 or slightly under in the SECW. What factors do you think went into that performance level? Assuming from your praise you think Sumlin is better at Arizona, what do you think works out better for him here?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

ramcat wrote:

Mazzone and Yates is what I heard if it goes through.
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

TX AGGIE wrote:Howdy Wildcats! Please let me say that I am in NO way here to troll! I was a strong Sumlin supporter and I believe that if he lands at Arizona, y'all are getting one hell of a coach. Chief has already signed with the Razorbacks, but trust me, he would not have fit in the PAC12. Not sure about Mazzone, but he would be a good fit. there is also a chance that he may bring Jeff Banks with him, he was our interim HC and by far our best recruiter (think Allen and Kirk). He will also bring McKinney (RBs) good recruiter with solid Houston ties and a good coach. Not sure about the rest, Turner, Cooper and Moorehead,

Thanks for stopping in and the info.

Mazzone did very well at ASU & UCLA. He will fit right back into the Pac-12.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

It just seems like our recruiting could take off. Even up to the middle to higher upper end of the Pac. Took good to be true.
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

That coaching show was interesting last night during the championship game. Sumlin was quiet, but he did pipe in every now and then, he knew what he was talking about. Sounds like he wants to run a lot of run pass options (RPOs) and move the pocket at times with his qb. Fair enough. Defense at his last job was a problem for him, it got downright atrocious, just like it was for he who shall not be named.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

TheGreatCatsby wrote:That coaching show was interesting last night during the championship game. Sumlin was quiet, but he did pipe in every now and then, he knew what he was talking about. Sounds like he wants to run a lot of run pass options (RPOs) and move the pocket at times with his qb. Fair enough. Defense at his last job was a problem for him, it got downright atrocious, just like it was for he who shall not be named.
Voldemort always forced DC's to run his scheme, but then they could call plays. I bet(slash wonder) KS would give Yates freedom to do his thing.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

chiefzona wrote:
ramcat wrote:

Damn! Get it done Heeke, think that'd be Sweet!!!
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

chiefzona wrote:
ramcat wrote:

Damn. Not even you could shit on that parade..
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

chiefzona wrote:
ramcat wrote:

Chief,

If Heeke can pull this off by hiring Sumlin and Mazzone and retaining Yates for good team continuity, what a coup that would be this late in the hiring/firing season or maybe any season. Additionally, if this happens I hope Sumlin will give Yates greater control on defense that could accelerate him being able to get some high level big-uglies on the D-line.

Even having to pay RR his full package of $6 mil to go away will have been worth it.

I'll bet Tate is salivating at what may be in store for him with Sumlin and Mazzone at the offensive helm.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Were the donor's oil and gas futures that were built in to RR's contract, a part of the buyout? I can't really remember the details of the deal but I thought, if he was fired, they were prorated.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

Yes RR got the full package as far as I know. He's got nothing to bitch about as far as compensation.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

threenumberones wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
ramcat wrote:

Damn. Not even you could shit on that parade..
You are severely underestimating Chiefs “shitting on” ability.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

btfd16 wrote:Were the donor's oil and gas futures that were built in to RR's contract, a part of the buyout? I can't really remember the details of the deal but I thought, if he was fired, they were prorated.
We saved roughly $3 million of that oil and gas money by firing him when we did. If he made it to March with the job he would've made all that and more.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
btfd16 wrote:Were the donor's oil and gas futures that were built in to RR's contract, a part of the buyout? I can't really remember the details of the deal but I thought, if he was fired, they were prorated.
We saved roughly $3 million of that oil and gas money by firing him when we did. If he made it to March with the job he would've made all that and more.

Any idea what the $3 million will be used for now? Pay part of his buyout? The next coach?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

UAEebs86 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Any idea what the $3 million will be used for now? Pay part of his buyout? The next coach?
Could be to pay part of Rich Rod's buyout.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

A little more confirmation of things moving on Sumlin, with negotiations on Asst's and Mazzone.

https://twitter.com/playersprogramu/sta ... twterm%5E0" target="_blank
BMalo

Post by BMalo »

FootballScoop reporting a "TV/media presence" interviewed.
prh

Post by prh »

ramcat wrote:A little more confirmation of things moving on Sumlin, with negotiations on Asst's and Mazzone.
Considering that's the reincarnation of PGU, it's not shocking that they tweeted exactly what Chief said, 3 hours after he said it.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ramcat wrote:A little more confirmation of things moving on Sumlin, with negotiations on Asst's and Mazzone.

https://twitter.com/playersprogramu/sta ... twterm%5E0" target="_blank
Been a long time since I have been excited about UA football!

Make it so Heeke!
Macho Grande

Post by Macho Grande »

Well, that's it boys. Looks like ol' Rob Whatshisname here got the the scoop on everybody...
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Wow so happy we can throw 6 million at RR and a 3 million buyout and their salaries. Big time boosters lol
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

lol coaching searches are always shit shows on twitter.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Macho Grande wrote:Well, that's it boys. Looks like ol' Rob Whatshisname here got the the scoop on everybody...
Please tell me this shit is not happening!!!
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Macho Grande wrote:Well, that's it boys. Looks like ol' Rob Whatshisname here got the the scoop on everybody...
*Cue Conor McGregor "Who the fook is this guy?"*
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

BMalo wrote:FootballScoop reporting a "TV/media presence" interviewed.
Rick Neuheisal has been begging for any job to be thrown his way (ntOSU, ASsU). Hope it's not him. Would any P5 in their right mind hire him?
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Irish27 wrote:
Kinda rhetorical question is: if we have Mazzone as our OC and are keeping Yates as the DC, what do we need Sumlin for?

Mazonne is running the offense, Yates is running the defense, and Sumlin is....
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

prh wrote:
Considering that's the reincarnation of PGU, it's not shocking that they tweeted exactly what Chief said, 3 hours after he said it.
Ever since I started getting more active here, I feel like some pundits just repeat shit on this board.... they're watching us.. :shock:
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

Why are we paying top dollar for Sumlin? He was just fired for mediocrity and got passed over by every other school. He won't be coaching next season unless we sign him. The risk is multiplied if the contract is outrageous.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

SCCats wrote:
Irish27 wrote:
Kinda rhetorical question is: if we have Mazzone as our OC and are keeping Yates as the DC, what do we need Sumlin for?

CEO.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

TatetheGreat wrote:Why are we paying top dollar for Sumlin? He was just fired for mediocrity and got passed over by every other school. He won't be coaching next season unless we sign him. The risk is multiplied if the contract is outrageous.
We aren't paying top dollar for Sumlin. We are trying to get money for the assistants. Sumlin, from all accounts, is taking a "paycut" so to speak.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

SCCats wrote:
Irish27 wrote:

Recruiting all the talent.
Macho Grande

Post by Macho Grande »

3goggles wrote:
Please tell me this shit is not happening!!!

How can you doubt a guy who goes by the handle of RobKAllDay?
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

btfd16 wrote:
TatetheGreat wrote:Why are we paying top dollar for Sumlin? He was just fired for mediocrity and got passed over by every other school. He won't be coaching next season unless we sign him. The risk is multiplied if the contract is outrageous.
We aren't paying top dollar for Sumlin. We are trying to get money for the assistants. Sumlin, from all accounts, is taking a "paycut" so to speak.
The accounting shouldn't be that difficult. We are negotiating with leverage. Either he wants to work for a reasonable deal or not. He and his entire staff just got fired and should come cheap.
prh

Post by prh »

btfd16 wrote:
prh wrote:
Ever since I started getting more active here, I feel like some pundits just repeat shit on this board.... they're watching us.. :shock:
Yep, the trick is knowing who consistently has actual info and who just tosses shit out here
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

I'd be interested to sit in on a coaching interview and the types of questions the AD asks or if it is more of a presentation. "This is what I'd do with Khalil, the offense, defense, here's who I'd plan to bring in" etc.