qwertyus

Re: Arizona Coaching Search

Post by qwertyus »

Longhorned wrote:There's a lot of stinkin' thinkin' in this thread
Goes hand in hand with a stinkin' hire.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Scheer is incredibly defensive on Twitter about Ken being the guy, of course he did the same for Neal Brown and a couple of others
WildcatLouis

Post by WildcatLouis »

Scheer must be pretty confident that Ken is the guy. He is bending over backwards to try to sell people on the hire - I assume so that he can ingratiate himself with the new staff. His latest post is that "schools have begged this guy to leave." Um .. . yeah. Oregon State and BYU have begged him to leave. One of those schools is not even a P5 school.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Rich Rod is a better coach than Kenny N. Let that sink in. So, let’s just trot of and hire him, right? Come on now idiots. Always hold the potential new coach up against the last one. There are some small-minded people around here.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

WildcatLouis wrote:Scheer must be pretty confident that Ken is the guy. He is bending over backwards to try to sell people on the hire - I assume so that he can ingratiate himself with the new staff. His latest post is that "schools have begged this guy to leave." Um .. . yeah. Oregon State and BYU have begged him to leave. One of those schools is not even a P5 school.
Like I said above, he did the same with Neal Brown, and someone else that I'm blanking on right now
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

RondaeShimmy wrote:
WildcatLouis wrote:Scheer must be pretty confident that Ken is the guy. He is bending over backwards to try to sell people on the hire - I assume so that he can ingratiate himself with the new staff. His latest post is that "schools have begged this guy to leave." Um .. . yeah. Oregon State and BYU have begged him to leave. One of those schools is not even a P5 school.
Like I said above, he did the same with Neal Brown, and someone else that I'm blanking on right now
Sanford
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

The forum reaction has been ridiculous. Not close the being rational at all. Just a bunch of screaming about triple option. And I mean, for readying some posts some people are throwing things type of anger.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Macho Grande

Post by Macho Grande »

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Ken has never run an offense that isnt the triple option. Why are we so excited other than Tate didnt come for it that he will be running a non triple option offense?
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

OSUCat wrote:
The forum reaction has been ridiculous. Not close the being rational at all. Just a bunch of screaming about triple option. And I mean, for readying some posts some people are throwing things type of anger.
We have addressed the triple option so you have not been reading. We are not talking about the running of the triple option. We know he is not going to run the straight up triple option. It's the fact he is changing a system he has run for more than a decade. It is going to be a make shift offense. We have no proof he can be successful with any other offense.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

btfd16 wrote:
OSUCat wrote:
We have addressed the triple option so you have not been reading. We are not talking about the running of the triple option. We know he is not going to run the straight up triple option. It's the fact he is changing a system he has run for more than a decade. It is going to be a make shift offense. We have no proof he can be successful with any other offense.
Of course I haven’t been reading each post.....that be insane!
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

btfd16 wrote:
OSUCat wrote:
I don't even care about the triple option. I care about recruiting. The face of Arizona football is going to be a military academy guy? In what world will this be good?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

OSUCat wrote:
I don't get the melt. Here's how I see him hitting the things people are looking for:

Young? 52, which is reason to believe he's easily got 10-15 years in the tank.
Prior record? Produced consistent winning at a difficult midmajor program.
Recruiting? Basically the same sort of questions we'd have about anyone stepping up from midmajors. Can he make a transition to reeling in high major prospects.

People are losing it over his offensive style and...? I full on don't get people who are angry and vowing not to support the program. It might not work, but this is a legit hire. I think it's insane that people would rather have a recently fired major coach as opposed to a midmajor coach who has succeeded pretty well in a challenging spot.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Exactly Spiff.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
OSUCat wrote:
I don't get the melt. Here's how I see him hitting the things people are looking for:

Recruiting? Basically the same sort of questions we'd have about anyone stepping up from midmajors. Can he make a transition to reeling in high major prospects.

People are losing it over his offensive style and RECRUITING. I full on don't get people who are angry and vowing not to support the program. It might not work, but this is a legit hire. I think it's insane that people would rather have a recently fired major coach as opposed to a midmajor coach who has succeeded pretty well in a challenging spot.
Filled it in for you. We have stated multiple times that is the biggest challenge Arizona needs to address. Also attendance, which this hire does not improve. (Did not see you address recruiting above. My point remains. At least BB can recruit.)
Last edited by btfd16 on Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

I miss RR.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

UALoco wrote:I miss RR.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

qwertyus wrote:
btfd16 wrote:
OSUCat wrote:
I don't even care about the triple option. I care about recruiting. The face of Arizona football is going to be a military academy guy? In what world will this be good?
Um, why is a Navy coach so terrible as the face of your program? It's the US Navy, not Lingerie Football League or ASU.

Recruits can probably figure out that just bc he used to coach Navy, they don't have to enlist at Arizona.
Macho Grande

Post by Macho Grande »

btfd16 wrote: are not talking about the running of the triple option. We know he is not going to run the straight up triple option. It's the fact he is changing a system he has run for more than a decade. It is going to be a make shift offense. We have no proof he can be successful with any other offense.
We have no proof that Sumlin can recruit well to a school outside the borders of Texas, or if Baldwin can even win at this level. But everyone seems happy with either of those two choices. There's going to be uncertainties no matter who the choice is.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Macho Grande wrote:
btfd16 wrote: are not talking about the running of the triple option. We know he is not going to run the straight up triple option. It's the fact he is changing a system he has run for more than a decade. It is going to be a make shift offense. We have no proof he can be successful with any other offense.
We have no proof that Sumlin can recruit well to a school outside the borders of Texas, or if Baldwin can even win at this level. But everyone seems happy with either of those two choices. There's going to be uncertainties no matter who the choice is.
I mean, don't take my word for it. Just judge the reactions from actual recruits right now.
He also said, and deleted, "If Arizona hires that Navy guy, they will lose a lot of recruits"
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Triple option makes me think of Jeff Hammerschmidt playing linebacker and QB.
And the crowd singing "hey diddle diddle, Tomey up the middle."
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

btfd16 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
OSUCat wrote:

People are losing it over his offensive style and RECRUITING. I full on don't get people who are angry and vowing not to support the program. It might not work, but this is a legit hire. I think it's insane that people would rather have a recently fired major coach as opposed to a midmajor coach who has succeeded pretty well in a challenging spot.
Filled it in for you. We have stated multiple times that is the biggest challenge Arizona needs to address. Also attendance, which this hire does not improve. (Did not see you address recruiting above. My point remains. At least BB can recruit.)
He can recruit...as an assistant. Making the transition to head coach might change things a bit, as well as the program change.

Every hire comes with questions. Could Sumlin adjust to not having a swaggercopter and unlimited resources plus recruits in his backyard? Could the coordinators adjust to being the man? I don't see why Niumatalolo's question about being able to recruit at a higher level triggers a meltdown.

Yeah, it would be nice to hire someone proven in all areas, but Nick Saban wasn't part of this round of hiring. You sort of need guys who have to answer a question.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
btfd16 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
OSUCat wrote:

He can recruit...as an assistant. Making the transition to head coach might change things a bit, as well as the program change.

Every hire comes with questions. Could Sumlin adjust to not having a swaggercopter and unlimited resources plus recruits in his backyard? Could the coordinators adjust to being the man? I don't see why Niumatalolo's question about being able to recruit at a higher level triggers a meltdown.

Yeah, it would be nice to hire someone proven in all areas, but Nick Saban wasn't part of this round of hiring. You sort of need guys who have to answer a question.
He recruited as a Head Coach at EWU??? Vernon Adams?
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Navy football Coach Ken Niumatalolo was absent from campus Friday as reports swirled that he was a leading candidate for the same position at Arizona.

The Washington Post confirmed through two people with knowledge of the situation that Niumatalolo, 52, was at the American Football Coaches Association convention in Charlotte on Monday but missed previously scheduled meetings on Tuesday. He was not present as expected at Navy football offices on Thursday or Friday, one of the people said.

Neither Niumatalolo nor Navy Athletic Director Chet Gladchuk responded to text or voice messages from The Post seeking comment.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

Not to be over dramatic but in my eyes, Arizona football is in a dark place right now. We've never been a gleaming example of success except for a few years over the decades, but the lack of general drawing power and apathy just permeates the program.

We're like a schizophrenic fish out of water with a never ending desire to find an identity, but its always just out of grasp. Coaches that are here want to leave at the drop of a hat, and coaches of any value that could come here don't seem interested in the least. Coaching prospects are turning down millions of dollars to not come here.

Honestly maybe I'm the one in a dark place and lacking balance, but if I'm honest, I don't much care at this point if Heeke hires Ronald McDonald or Mr. Bean. That's how I kind view Arizona football after all these years.

A freaking clown show, a comedy act that prides itself on getting laughs nationally with fluffy red hair, a big red nose and big yellow shoes begging boosters and alum for handouts and scrapes to keep it operational.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

What happened to the Les Miles talk?
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

Macho Grande wrote:
Yea, the quadruple option - 4th option being an early down pooch kick. Awesome.
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

btfd16 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
OSUCat wrote:

Filled it in for you. We have stated multiple times that is the biggest challenge Arizona needs to address. Also attendance, which this hire does not improve.
Also the "midmajor" part. Guess who else was successful at a midmajor? Some West Virginia schlub.

We hear about Sumlin for over a week. Proven winner, with proven ties to talent Texas and Arizona. Comes with an OC in Mazzone that we know can produce (so we can finally be rid of Rod Smith/Calvin Magee run-heavy, QB-stalling tandem), who has just come off an 8-5 season in the top conference, and got a mobile QB a Heisman...

....And now we're hiring a military academy coach off of a 7-6 season? A guy with zero ties to anything related to Arizona, and we have no idea who else he'd bring in on his staff. Oh, and he's going to stop running the triple option, the only offense he's ever run, and the only one he's had any (by which I mean lots of 7-8 win seasons) success in. At a mid-major school.

That's not just a little drop. It's a dive off of a cliff.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Success will depend on getting Poly kids

I'm skeptical
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

Postmaster wrote:What happened to the Les Miles talk?
Les Miles likes to float his name for every job because it is part of the requirement of his buyout that he is continually looking for new jobs. He has no intention of actually taking any of those jobs.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

btfd16 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
btfd16 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
OSUCat wrote:

He recruited as a Head Coach at EWU??? Vernon Adams?
Wait, so you're saying recruiting as a NON DIVISION 1 coach is a better predictor than midmajor D1 recruiting?

If we're just posting good qb's Keenan Reynolds was a semi-legit Heisman candidate.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Wait, so you're saying recruiting as a NON DIVISION 1 coach is a better predictor than midmajor D1 recruiting?

If we're just posting good qb's Keenan Reynolds was a semi-legit Heisman candidate.
Your point was recruiting as a HC??? You do not recruit Navy. They come to you. Beau recruited EWU.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

btfd16 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:Wait, so you're saying recruiting as a NON DIVISION 1 coach is a better predictor than midmajor D1 recruiting?

Your point was recruiting as a HC??? You do not recruit Navy. They come to you. Beau recruited EWU.
You think Navy's coach has an easy/easier job recruiting? Ok, man, I think we have to agree to disagree.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Gladiator Cat wrote:Not to be over dramatic but in my eyes, Arizona football is in a dark place right now. We've never been a gleaming example of success except for a few years over the decades, but the lack of general drawing power and apathy just permeates the program.

We're like a schizophrenic fish out of water with a never ending desire to find an identity, but its always just out of grasp. Coaches that are here want to leave at the drop of a hat, and coaches of any value that could come here don't seem interested in the least. Coaching prospects are turning down millions of dollars to not come here.

Honestly maybe I'm the one in a dark place and lacking balance, but if I'm honest, I don't much care at this point if Heeke hires Ronald McDonald or Mr. Bean. That's how I kind view Arizona football after all these years.

A freaking clown show, a comedy act that prides itself on getting laughs nationally with fluffy red hair, a big red nose and big yellow shoes begging boosters and alum for handouts and scrapes to keep it operational.
We don't really have any clear natural advantages.

We have to find ways to theoretically manufacture advantages

But instead we seem to be taking the same old route: "Get a good head coach."

But we can't win that game.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

btfd16 wrote:
chiefzona wrote:I think the smart football people know that Kenny wouldn’t run the triple option. He’d probably use it a little bit he would run a new offense that he hasn’t run in over 11 years. Y’all want to put Tate in a make shift offense? He’d regress.
This. It's not the "tripple" option thing. It's that we are becoming an experiment.

If this is indeed the hire, I'm not overwhelmed with happiness about it. I'm not ready to relegate to us suddenly being an experiment either. It would depend who he brings in as Offensive Coordinator. Hope springs eternal they would run an offense that has at least some similarities to the one we're familiar with and one Tate would be comfortable with. But then I was also hopeful our past three head coaches would be successful.
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
btfd16 wrote:

You think Navy's coach has an easy/easier job recruiting? Ok, man, I think we have to agree to disagree.
You think Navy pitches itself to anyone with NFL aspirations? Anyone who's a 4-star or better?
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Nobody still seems to have one explanation as to why all the buzz has gone from Sumlin straight to a Navy coach who wasn't even mentioned before today.

Beau Baldwin was supposed to be the backup plan. It's one thing to lose Sumlin. But if this program can't even secure a P5 coordinator, that sends the worst message to recruits since Arizona couldn't win in the Western Athletic Conference.

Is the program so out-of-control it needs a service academy coach to straighten it out? Such a hire would just make the program irrelevant as a conference competitor through at least the end of the decade.
Last edited by catgrad97 on Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

When this dude gets fired and all we have is option kids it will take forever to rebuild. This is a disaster. I missed the part when navy runs a constant up tempo option. You know cause that's why it's different then the up tempo RPO? RPO goes run alot because it's a simple quick call to keep it up. Option is slow and anyone prepared for it stops it.

All the QBs and WR will transfer if able. Our RBs are not at a level that they can be used for that. This is a disaster.

Fireheeke
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

SCCats wrote:
Gladiator Cat wrote:Not to be over dramatic but in my eyes, Arizona football is in a dark place right now. We've never been a gleaming example of success except for a few years over the decades, but the lack of general drawing power and apathy just permeates the program.

We don't really have any clear natural advantages.

We have to find ways to theoretically manufacture advantages

But instead we seem to be taking the same old route: "Get a good head coach."

But we can't win that game.

SCCats,

I don't disagree with any of you're examples, spot on. But I still say, Arizona is a borderline clown car show at this point.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

qwertyus wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
btfd16 wrote:

You think Navy pitches itself to anyone with NFL aspirations? Anyone who's a 4-star or better?
Not since Roger Staubach. Just went back to 2006 on 247 sports composite. Not one 4 star recruit. People go to Navy because they want to be in the forces, not because they want to go pro. We need to aspire to send people into the NFL.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

5 people in the pros from Eastern Washington. 2 from Navy. (Hint: they are a fullback and a long snapper)
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

btfd16 wrote:
qwertyus wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
btfd16 wrote:

Not since Roger Staubach. Just went back to 2006 on 247 sports composite. Not one 4 star recruit. People go to Navy because they want to be in the forces, not because they want to go pro. We need to aspire to send people into the NFL.
Exactly! Recruiting to one of the military academies has to be just about the easiest recruiting job a coach could want.
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

btfd16 wrote:
qwertyus wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
btfd16 wrote:

Exactly. And it does take some slick recruiting to get someone to be a soldier, but we're a Power 5 Football program. We don't need military recruiters, we need football ones.

KN recruits soldiers. I want the next coach to recruit football players. I want Tate to improve on his passing. Meanwhile, KN is making sure his guys improve their marksmanship or making sure they tuck their corners in on their cots.

SMH at people trying to pretty up this pig of a hire.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

btfd16 wrote:
btfd16 wrote:I am just speculating. All I saw was the team meeting room looking like a press conference was going to take place. Not sure if it was being set up, or being taken down. I have never seen a press conference held in there before. Typically the LB room
@PlayersProgramU please look what I said here before using me as a source.
Maybe I was his "source" :lol: :lol: :lol:
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

btfd16 wrote:5 people in the pros from Eastern Washington. 2 from Navy. (Hint: they are a fullback and a long snapper)
They can't turn pro. They are signing up for tours in the Navy. Which is my point. THAT is why Navy/Army/Air Force are "unique" coaching jobs.

They are making soldiers, who happen to want to play some football.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

qwertyus wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
btfd16 wrote:

Here's what I think. At Navy, you have to sell kids on:

1. Joining the Navy.
2. Playing football while there.

At Arizona, you have to sell kids on:

1. Playing football while there.

Which is easier?
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Wow. Just wow. A bunch of nonesense growing here.

Calling KN a military recruiter. Ha.
I especially like the conclusion that 4-stars and 5-stars don’t choose Navy because they don’t produce NFL talent. Ha.

BTW, it seems that you guys might have forgotten. Arizona isn’t a military academy. That means KN can recruit just about anyone that can get into Arizona.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Baldwin is still in it. Sumlin is just about gone. Kenny interviewed and I think he did well. Heeke’s camp leaked it to media and they’ve seen the unfavorable reactions. Heeke now has to either go hard at Sumlin or just split the difference and hire Baldwin.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

OSUCat wrote:Wow. Just wow. A bunch of nonesense growing here.

Calling KN a military recruiter. Ha.
I especially like the conclusion that 4-stars and 5-stars don’t choose Navy because they don’t produce NFL talent. Ha.

BTW, it seems that you guys might have forgotten. Arizona isn’t a military academy. That means KN can recruit just about anyone that can get into Arizona.
The same way Stoops and Rodriguez did?