Coach Sumlin

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

OSUCat

Re: Coach Sumlin

Post by OSUCat »

whatisee wrote:Who are the coaches Sumlin has hired to date?
Only official one is Yates. Sumlin stayed so in the press conference.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Looks like we made a bad hire.

https://247sports.com/college/arizona-s ... -113706784" target="_blank

:roll:
TX AGGIE

Post by TX AGGIE »

azgreg wrote:Looks like we made a bad hire.

WOW!!! There are a lot of idiots on that board!
They are in for a rude awaking!
Sumlin can absolutely recruit, you'll see national guys looking at UA for the 19 class. Fully expect y'all to be top 25 next season for sure, the top 15 the year after.
Good Luck, y'all got a great coach!
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

TX AGGIE wrote:

Sumlin can absolutely recruit, you'll see national guys looking at UA for the 19 class. Fully expect y'all to be top 25 next season for sure, the top 15 the year after.
Don't be a stranger TX Aggie!
TX AGGIE

Post by TX AGGIE »

BearDown89 wrote:
TX AGGIE wrote:

Don't be a stranger TX Aggie!
Hey, I'll be around a lot! Arizona just became my 2nd favorite team. I'll be really interested to see how your recruiting changes and I'm going to love watching y'all put the devils in their place!
Get ready for a wild ride, SH!& just got real in Tucson! If those-d-bags in tempe haven't figured it out yet.....................well, get your popcorn ready! You're about to see a massive shift in the PAC 12 South!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

TX AGGIE

Post by TX AGGIE »

Here are some things to expect from your coach (Offensive breakdown)
1. Expect to see your base formation to 4 WR, 5OL and a 1 back set.
2. You will rarely use a TE
3. Expect to see your team speed increase, across the board.
4. Your O will move fast, I expect to see you run 80-90 plays a game
5. Points scored will go from 41.3 to probably in the mid 40's, if I had to guess, I'd say 44.7
6. Tate will be a 1k rusher and pass for 2.5-3K
7. You will have at least 6 WRs with TD's, with 2 of them in double digits.
8. Your RB will probably rush for 700-800 yds, maybe more. Also, expect to see a big back in the back field, somewhere in the 230-240 range. Not a FB.

These are just a few quick thoughts of what you'll be in store for next season.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

44.7 points per game seems oddly specific.
TX AGGIE

Post by TX AGGIE »

azgreg wrote:44.7 points per game seems oddly specific.
Just a rough guess. That's 3 to 4 points per game which I believe is very doable, but it certainly could be as much as 7 a game!
Sumlin does believe in special teams, so I expect him to go out and find a really good PK.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TX AGGIE wrote:
Just a rough guess. That's 3 to 4 points per game which I believe is very doable, but it certainly could be as much as 7 a game!
Sumlin does believe in special teams, so I expect him to go out and find a really good PK.
If we wind up scoring 44.7 ppg, people are going to think you're some sort of sorcerer.
TX AGGIE

Post by TX AGGIE »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
TX AGGIE wrote:
If we wind up scoring 44.7 ppg, people are going to think you're some sort of sorcerer.
Nah! I'm just a die hard CFB fan! But knowing his style and the talent you have, I have feeling I'll be under that mark!
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

PlayersProgramU was right about a Sumlin Head Ball Coach the whole time.... :shock: Didn't really waver either.
prh

Post by prh »

TX AGGIE wrote:
That will be a welcome change. Anyone know if he has/will reach out to the Pima punter?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

TX AGGIE

Post by TX AGGIE »

prh wrote:
TX AGGIE wrote:
That will be a welcome change. Anyone know if he has/will reach out to the Pima punter?
If he is a top 10 guy, or he thinks he can get him into a 45 yrd average, then yes! (if he isn't already there)
Sumlin is a big believer in all 3 phases of the game, you see some of your best players on STs.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

prh wrote:
TX AGGIE wrote:
Fwiw he has a very good PK on roster in Havrisik, it's the Punter that's the issue.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

TX AGGIE wrote:
prh wrote:
TX AGGIE wrote:
If he is a top 10 guy, or he thinks he can get him into a 45 yrd average, then yes! (if he isn't already there)
Sumlin is a big believer in all 3 phases of the game, you see some of your best players on STs.
I'm sorry but that's against Arizona policy.
TX AGGIE

Post by TX AGGIE »

azgreg wrote:
TX AGGIE wrote:
prh wrote:
TX AGGIE wrote:
I'm sorry but that's against Arizona policy.
HAHA! That was one of the 1st things he changed we he came to A&M. You'll see it there too, I assure you!
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

I was reminded this morning watching that presser how excited I was when Sean Miller was hired.... because I get a very similar vibe from Sumlin that I got from Miller. 100% authenticity and thoughtfulness from a guy who is not here to gladhand anybody and cares about a whole lot more than just himself. He got a couple uncomfortable questions that I think he handled exceptionally well.

Absolutely pumped. If I did not have kids activities and frequent work commitments on weekends, I would have ordered season tickets while I was watching the presser... late nights driving back from Tucson be damned.

100% behind this guy and absolutely stoked to have him represent the university and lead our program.

Same goes for my impression of Heeke and ESPECIALLY Robins. It is a GREAT day to be a Wildcat!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

:D
TX AGGIE wrote:
prh wrote:
TX AGGIE wrote:
What? Even Mike Stoops said that ST are for walk ons trying to get some playing time, and RichRod for the most part didn't think ST players were deserving of scholarships.

Just a reminder, the UA was dead last in FBS ball for net punting yards.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Sorry if I missed it above, but is there (will there be) a link to the full presser video? I couldn't watch it live. I can't find anything on the University athletic's site or the youtube channel yet.

Dying to watch it after all these rave reviews.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

BearDown89 wrote:Sorry if I missed it above, but is there (will there be) a link to the full presser video? I couldn't watch it live. I can't find anything on the University athletic's site or the youtube channel yet.

https://www.facebook.com/Pac12Conferenc ... 198196801/" target="_blank
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Allis cracks me up. He’s lost so much credibility over this search. Dude needs to just tuck tail and run.
prh

Post by prh »

BearDown89 wrote:Sorry if I missed it above, but is there (will there be) a link to the full presser video? I couldn't watch it live. I can't find anything on the University athletic's site or the youtube channel yet.

BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Thanks guys!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Mazzone is the new OC but y’all already knew that. Not surprising.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

chiefzona wrote:Mazzone is the new OC but y’all already knew that. Not surprising.
Just waiting for it to be official.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

azgreg wrote:
chiefzona wrote:Mazzone is the new OC but y’all already knew that. Not surprising.
Just waiting for it to be official.
I wish Kliff Kingsbury would've gotten canned this year...
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

That Texas A&M article about Mazzone Offense was a great read.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

What kinda pay is he getting
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

RondaeShimmy wrote:
What kinda pay is he getting
He is (or will be) a state employee, so that information will be public.

But Heeke said they (meaning donors) kicked in some extra money for the assistants, so he will be doing well.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

btfd16 wrote:
btfd16 wrote:
RondaeShimmy wrote:Heeke says Sumlin is the only one the job was offered to.

lol Scheer
LOVED that.
Nobody in the media acknowledged that quote other than AZ Desert Swarm..... Awkward.
Guys... Really?

You should have that Wolken tweet tattooed on your body somewhere.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

TucsonClip wrote:
btfd16 wrote:
btfd16 wrote:

lol Scheer
LOVED that.
Nobody in the media acknowledged that quote other than AZ Desert Swarm..... Awkward.
Guys... Really?

I have talked with multiple multiple people inside the search. One big donor, one former player, and an agent friend coworkers Sumlin's agent. But that's okay if you want to think we really offered the job to Ken N over Sumlin. More of a "think it over and let me know if you would take the job". A back up and ploy for more booster money. Nothing more.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

Very Impressive and coach Sumlin hit it out of the park.

It doesn't appear to me that Dave Heeke is in over his head. As a matter of fact he and Dr. Robbins appear to be well in control.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

I was one of only a few here who was not a fan of hiring Sumlin when the search was going on. After this morning, I am happy to eat my words. I am excited for football to begin. Even excited for Spring practice to start so we can hear what coach thinks about the cupboard. Bare, as Hater claims, or something a bit better?
Last edited by BBQ wildcat on Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
prh

Post by prh »

Absolute home run hire. We've said that before but after watching the presser, there are so many little things that I love hearing.

Gotta have depth
It's all about relationships (recruiting, current players, past players, community, etc)
Focus on defense and special teams
Seemed very down to earth and genuine (as others have said)
Kept saying "my last place" about A&M and then didn't say "asu" in response to a question about them. Gives me hope he will refuse to acknowledge them by name
His response to the first black UA HC question

Countless other small things. Watch the whole thing if you can.

Can't wait.
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

did we win the press conference guys?
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

btfd16 wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:
btfd16 wrote:
btfd16 wrote:

lol Scheer
LOVED that.
Guys... Really?

I have talked with multiple multiple people inside the search. One big donor, one former player, and an agent friend coworkers Sumlin's agent. But that's okay if you want to think we really offered the job to Ken N over Sumlin. More of a "think it over and let me know if you would take the job". A back up and ploy for more booster money. Nothing more.
You are missing the point of Wolken's entire tweet. Ive also heard differently from my own sources, so... Whatever, im not here to defend Scheer and im not here to get in a pissing match. We can all believe whomever we want in this.

Back to my point:
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Harvey Specter wrote:Absolutely pumped. If I did not have kids activities and frequent work commitments on weekends, I would have ordered season tickets while I was watching the presser... late nights driving back from Tucson be damned.
I drive from PHX. I don't have weekend work commitments but I do have two kids in sports...most of the FB games are late Saturday so there is time to watch my kid's match then head to Tucson with enough time to hit a few tailgates. I ain't gonna lie, the drive back is a bitch and you can't drink too much. For the really big games, I'll get a room at ALOFT or get an AirBNB. The CatCruiser is also pretty good option. The wife doesn't mind having a few nites to herself and likes to hit homecoming. It it totally doable, but a commitment. That said, it is only 6 nites a year, live a little. Any tickets you don't use can be given to the military...or maybe they'll get some street value if the wins start coming...
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

splitsecond wrote:did we win the press conference guys?
press conference was boring but that is a good thing...he said everything he should say and nothing stupid ala herm
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Been waiting to see him in his new gear.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

is there or was there a rule in place that gives teams with new coaches a couple of extra days of practice?
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

I know Yates is staying as DC but is he going to retain all of his current staff or will there be any changes. If anyone knows please let us know. I'll even accept gossip and hearsay.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

tgrumpy2 wrote:I know Yates is staying as DC but is he going to retain all of his current staff or will there be any changes. If anyone knows please let us know. I'll even accept gossip and hearsay.
All I know is the entire D staff was at the presser FWIW.
FlyonWall

Post by FlyonWall »

Merkin wrote::D

TX AGGIE wrote:
prh wrote:
TX AGGIE wrote:
What? Even Mike Stoops said that ST are for walk ons trying to get some playing time, and RichRod for the most part didn't think ST players were deserving of scholarships.

Just a reminder, the UA was dead last in FBS ball for net punting yards.
We have bad depth issues at snapper and punter for sure. They have to decide which Pollack will do and enforce it. But he is gone after next year anyways so finding a scholarship punter will fix the depth immediately. Reinhart only has next year left as well so finding another snapper needs their immediate attention for depth, as we saw this year.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

azgreg wrote:
tgrumpy2 wrote:I know Yates is staying as DC but is he going to retain all of his current staff or will there be any changes. If anyone knows please let us know. I'll even accept gossip and hearsay.
They would all really really like to keep their jobs lol. I think Addae has a good shot of sticking and maybe Boone. DL to me is open and I'm unsure on Knorr.

Will be interesting what route is taken with the 10th assistant. Justice really really wants to stay for OL too....poor bastard.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
azgreg wrote:
They would all really really like to keep their jobs lol. I think Addae has a good shot of sticking and maybe Boone. DL to me is open and I'm unsure on Knorr.

Will be interesting what route is taken with the 10th assistant. Justice really really wants to stay for OL too....poor bastard.

Is Chris Singletary staying as recruiting coordinator?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

UAEebs86 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
azgreg wrote:

Is Chris Singletary staying as recruiting coordinator?
I hope not. Heard he is a dick.