Terris Jones-Grigsby & Nick Wilson

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

NYCat

Terris Jones-Grigsby & Nick Wilson

Post by NYCat »

The tailbacks so far are really looking good two games into the season TJG with nice veteran leadership, and Wilson as the future, successor to Kadeem. Grigsby with a really good game in the season opener as well as Wilson. Also Baker is not too shabby as the third string back. The two are a really solid 1-2 punch, but Wilson is clearly the future, and looks like he'll be a star for the Cats next couple of years.
Chicat

Re: Terris Jones-Grigsby & Nick Wilson

Post by Chicat »

I really hope we don't stick the "next Ka'Deem Carey" title on every kid who starts at RB from here on out.
I think we should let Nick Wilson be Nick Wilson. And he looks to be pretty special.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Salty

Post by Salty »

Chicat wrote:I really hope we don't stick the "next Ka'Deem Carey" title on every kid who starts at RB from here on out.
I think we should let Nick Wilson be Nick Wilson. And he looks to be pretty special.
bingo
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Wilson is everything I thought he would be, but sooner.

Need playmakers in the red zone no matter how many points you score. He saved the program from embarrassment tonight.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

What is the status of TJG?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

NYCat wrote:

F**K Mike Stoops is how Ka'Deem would have responded. What a waste of a year. Stoops had no recognition of offensive talent at all.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

I agree that slapping the "next Ka'deem" label on Wilson is unfair to him. That said, I saw a lot of similarities in how he runs. When he got hit he kept his legs driving and he'd usually fight for 2-3 extra yards before he was brought down. He doesn't have that knack that Ka'deem had for falling forward for those extra yards, at least not yet. If he stays healthy he will have a huge year.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Merkin wrote:
F**K Mike Stoops is how Ka'Deem would have responded. What a waste of a year. Stoops had no recognition of offensive talent at all.
Exactly this.

As for the label of "next Ka'Deem"....it's pretty much inevitable, isn't it? We just had a great player go to the pros, comparisons to him are gonna happen for a while I would think.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
Merkin wrote:
Exactly this.

As for the label of "next Ka'Deem"....it's pretty much inevitable, isn't it? We just had a great player go to the pros, comparisons to him are gonna happen for a while I would think.

And as AngCat noted on the Skowron thread, Stoops blew it on him too.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Merkin wrote: And as AngCat noted on the Skowron thread, Stoops blew it on him too.
Didn't he also blow it on Foles?
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
Merkin wrote: And as AngCat noted on the Skowron thread, Stoops blew it on him too.

Never make it as an NFL scout would he? Only an all-pro QB now.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Merkin wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:

Never make it as an NFL scout would he? Only an all-pro QB now.

Sure wouldn't. Although, he might have a career in the new Olympic Tandem Jumping event

PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Alieberman wrote:What is the status of TJG?
I'm not sure, but his status might be "Damn, I need to get back on the field before people forget I can run the ball pretty well too!"

prh

Post by prh »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
Alieberman wrote:What is the status of TJG?
I'm not sure, but his status might be "Damn, I need to get back on the field before people forget I can run the ball pretty well too!"
Things can heal up pretty fast with that sort of thinking...
BMalo

Post by BMalo »

I really like the TJG & Wilson combo. It not only adds to obvious depth but seeing them both play like they did against UNLV helped with concerns I had at the position prior to the season. I'm interested in TJG's durability, I think I saw Chief say somewhere that it could be an issue.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Just a guess, but I'm thinking the depth chart for Nevada is going to have a 1 next to Nick Wilson's name. Could see it being one of those "or" listings with TJG.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

It's ideal to have a senior starter or backup at all of the skill positions. We have it at QB and with both TJG and Baker at RB. David Richards is going to be OKG out wide that way for us IMHO.

Stoops was absolutely clueless as an in-game manager of personnel, especially at the skill positions. His final season, he gave a worthless JUCO kicker a full schollie (Jaime Salazar) who made one FG, shanked the rest (and most of his XPs) horribly his first game, then never placekicked for this program again. John Bonano was his "last resort"--and the right guy for the job in the first place.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

catgrad97 wrote: Stoops was absolutely clueless as an in-game manager of personnel, especially at the skill positions. His final season, he gave a worthless JUCO kicker a full schollie (Jaime Salazar) who made one FG, shanked the rest (and most of his XPs) horribly his first game, then never placekicked for this program again. John Bonano was his "last resort"--and the right guy for the job in the first place.
Wasn't Zendejas giving a scholie too?

:shudder:
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Steve Rivera FSA on Wilson.
He's emerged with Jones-Grigsby from what was a six-man race at running back in camp. He was told before last week's kickoff that he was going to start.

"I don't know if there is pressure (to perform), but I got picked (out of) the committee," Wilson said. "I told my mom and dad I was getting the start. And I did pretty good."

If Wildcat Nation is proud, Fresno Central is proud and, well, not that surprised. Wilson, was rated a four-star recruit, the No. 23 running back in the country, by Scout.com. He rushed for 16 touchdowns and 1,600 yards a season ago. He had an impact every year, making the varsity as a sophomore. The only things that really slowed him were now-and-again injuries.

"He took over games for us when he was healthy," Garza said. "When he was healthy he was unbelievable. There were some games ... he just took the game over, everything was on his shoulders."
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

SBNation gives Nick Wilson some national recognition naming him "impact freshman Week 2". Nothing "new" in the article but some exposure. Like it, maybe between the lines it reminds high profile recruits that possible True Freshman can come to Arizona and play right away and begin to flourish.
For weekly freshman honors, Wilson edges out Baylor wide receiver K.D. Cannon, whose six catches went for 223 yards and three touchdowns. That was one of the more spectacular stat lines of the week. But while Wilson's effort came against the most experienced college football team in the country, Cannon's work was against overmatched Northwestern State, 70-6 losers in the one-sided affair.

Wilson also earned the nod over the impressive young Oregon duo of 230-pound running back Royce Freeman and right tackle Tyrell Crosby.

And though the results weren't often spectacular, Wilson was a workhorse, carrying the ball on 30 of Arizona's 44 rushing attempts. Against an experienced defense intent on giving up the big play, the true freshman was content to grind out tough yardage, but was still able to find enough daylight to turn in the game's longest running play, which went for 37 yards.

Sometimes, such steady play on the road in a hostile environment is exactly what a team needs to achieve victory and when considering that Wilson weighs only 188 pounds, his performance becomes even more impressive.
http://www.sbnation.com/college-footbal ... k-freshman
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Damn Nick Wilson is good, Jones-Grgisby probaoy lost his starting job.
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

I wonder if we'll see them rotate against USC to wear them down.
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

Wilson #4 in the country in Rushing Yds. Pretty damn good for a True Frosh with only 2 games starting. That Aaron Jones guy must be good. I don't care who you play, but 552 yards on 70 carries is damn good, and he's only a Sophomore.
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

Keep racking up games with a 100+ yard RB abd we will change the game for is recruiting RBs. The best part? We don't need a 5 star RB to do it.
gumby

Post by gumby »

If he keeps this up, Carey will be called a "system running back."
Right where I want to be.
Zona_Soccer10

Post by Zona_Soccer10 »

Each back is talented in their own way. The comparison thing is the oldest thing in the book. I agree, it's nice to know we already have our true replacement and there's no more being scared, but let him be Nick Wilson, don't hold him to Ka'Deem's standards. That would be unfair.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Terris still out? Ankle?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Jefe wrote:Terris still out? Ankle?
He's not on the injury report. Good to go apparently.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

TJG is listed as #1 on the depth chart.

https://admin.xosn.com/pdf9/2817007.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=30700&

interesting

:::::::::

no idea why that link has that address. I clicked on the depthchart from here: http://www.arizonawildcats.com/ViewArti ... =209225322
and it took me there.

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

POM, TJG has been listed #1 on every depth chart.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

azgreg wrote:POM, TJG has been listed #1 on every depth chart.
welllllllllllll then not so interesting after all :lol:

Guess I haven't paid attention to the depth chart since he was injured. thx for the info

ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Good article by Gimino on Nick Wilson. Note AG is also now posting at KOLD 13 Tucson News Now site in addition to FSA.
Arizona Wildcats center Steven Gurrola, during last week's game against Nevada, tried to impart some senior knowledge to true freshman running back Nick Wilson.

Gurrola had spotted something about how one of the Wolf Pack's linebackers was playing, and how that affected the blocking scheme and Wilson's potential running lanes.

"He goes, 'Oh, I'm already seeing it,'" Gurrola said. "I was like, 'I don't even have to tell you.'"

"He's been disciplined with his footwork and his key reads, and he's trusting it," Magee said of Wilson. "He's doing that to a T. He's a student of the game. He's really understanding it.

"And then he's been phenomenal without the ball. He has picked up some key blocks on blitzes. He has put some people on the ground in his protection. ... Very unusual for a freshman."
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Gimino's article makes it seem like TJG isn't getting his starting job back. I'd normally think that was a terrible injustice, but I'm intrigued to see who the better RB is over the course of the season. Both have a lot to offer, and both will be needed.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Chicat wrote:Gimino's article makes it seem like TJG isn't getting his starting job back. I'd normally think that was a terrible injustice, but I'm intrigued to see who the better RB is over the course of the season. Both have a lot to offer, and both will be needed.
RR goes with what the player that he and the other coaches can trust. Now that they trust Wilson, I can see more split series between the two. Its not like TJG did bad when he was in. I would expect TJG to officially start, but it wouldn't surprise me if the reps split 50-50 with who ever is doing the best that day getting those extra reps.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Do we know what Wilson's injury was? Concussion?
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Chicat wrote:Do we know what Wilson's injury was? Concussion?
Don't know, but that's what I thought when they were walking him to the locker room. He looked like he had his bell rung, and he did that thing where he shook his head from side to side and blinked his eyes a bunch like he was trying to get his wits about him.

Haven't heard or seen anything else though. They'll probably be mum about it.
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

Call me crazy but I prefer Jones-Grigsby.
I...drink...your...MILKSHAKE!

"I'm better at life than you." -RockyRaccoon/Richard Sherman

"Those that don't understand the importance of great coaching, don't understand the game." -RR

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

RockyRaccoon wrote:Call me crazy but I prefer Jones-Grigsby.
I like having them both out there.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Both of them were money tonight. But Jones-Grigsby reminded me of another Grigsby, grinding out a really hard first down late in the fourth to seal the game against #2 Oregon.

This is the kind of running back that Rich Rodriguez develops. TJG was stuck behind Ka'Deem and Jenkins all this time. He's been fantastic. And Wilson is the workhorse for now and the future.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

That game sealing run by Grigsby was amazing
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Grown ass men
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Someone has to make a gif of NW's td run where he trucked that oregon player.

Please.

Good For You

Post by Good For You »

Grigsby starts. A fresh Wilson comes in, goes beast mode and gets dinged up. Grigsby comes in and finishes them off. Amazing one two combination. 1A and 1B.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

I hope Nick's ankle is good to go next week.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Alieberman wrote:That game sealing run by Grigsby was amazing
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

UAdevil wrote:I hope Nick's ankle is good to go next week.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

These two guys were awesome last night. Can't argue with the production whatsoever! Grinding out yards to get first downs, yards to seal the game, running over all-american CB's for TD's, protecting the hell out of the ball....great stuff from the RB position.
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

Weren't some people all doom and gloom over the summer about this position? They have been flat out amazing. A strength of the team for sure, and I don't think it is just the system. Both guys are legit. The Nick/Anu combo for the next few years makes me drool..