Salty in Eugene

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Salty

Salty in Eugene

Post by Salty »

Well... It's that time again. Time for another game review during my trip to Eugene, to watch the Cats beat the Ducks!

I have a goal to watch the Cats play in every PAC-12 stadium. Oregon is now included on my list, which consists of Washington, Colorado, asu, USC, and UCLA. I may be adding Washington State and Utah this year as well.

Going into this game, I did not think we had much of a shot. From what I had seen, Oregon looked damn good and was interested in some payback.

I left Tucson on the 6 AM flight, to Vegas, then connecting to Portland. After arriving in Portland, I was a little disappointed to find that the weather was not much different than what I had left in Tucson... Warm and sunny. I was interested in a little overcast and rain.

Got to the stadium with about two hours until game time. My Dad and I wanted to walk around the campus and see what the University had to offer. Autzen didn't seem to be anywhere near the campus. There were no buildings nearby. In fact, I never even saw the university!

We took a lap around the stadium. The older Oregon fans were very welcoming, I got offered a few beers and people said hello. Younger Oregon fans... Obnoxious and drunk. Their sense of entitlement was stifling and annoying.

The girls? A few hotties. Nothing near what I had expected.

The tailgate area? Decent. AZ stadium does it better, IMO.

The stadium? Wow... It's like a work of art. Exceptionally well done. Nike really did it well there.

We got in about an hour before kick off. 82nd row... Yikes. I really can't say enough about how well Autzen compliments the old and the new, though. Despite Oregon's lack of a lengthy winning tradition, the stadium really made me feel like they had been around for forever.

Fans filed in. One thing that I was very shocked by was the student section, though. The student section did not fill until about 5 minutes had passed in the first quarter. I was not impressed. The zonazoo is easily the best that I've seen in the PAC-12.

The game day experience there is incredible. The fans are all dialed in and know what to say and when. I wish Byrne would take some notes.

I got lucky... As chance would have it, we were seated next to some other Arizona fans. Three older, Native American guys who had made the trip up from Tucson as well.

The couple in front of us were insufferable... Some young bald dude and this wife were pathetically arrogant. The wife had a wig, too. He tried his very best to taunt us the entire game.

I firmly expected the halftime score to be well past 20 points for both teams. I was shocked by our defensive strength, but I figured, "hey, this is Arizona football. We're bound to fuck it up somehow".

Every kickoff, we do the AZ tradition of jiggling our keys to "start the drive". I guess this was a foreign concept to the ducks, because after we went up 24-14, the bald dude in front of us took out his keys and threw them at me. Then he threw a punch, which I politely brushed aside. hater and 86 would be proud.

After a few questionable calls from the officials, I cursed Phil Knight and the home cooking. That got me a glare from baldy.

One of my proudest moments from that night was the goal line stand that resulted in a field goal. Oregon? At the two? That's gotta be an automatic touchdown. Scooby stepped up.

Tied 24-24, I knew we'd find a way to fuck it up. This is Arizona football. We always lose in these situations. Right?

Boom. 31-24.

Then, Mariota has a chance at making his heisman moment.

Then, Scooby Wright.

And the rest is history.

What a game. TJG putting it on ice was a great feeling.

However, being in the middle of enemy fans is a tough spot to be. The celebration was minor because I didn't want to get stabbed.

One of the really awesome things about Autzen is that they let fans and kids onto the field after games. Seriously, people were on the field talking, playing football, and hanging out.

I got a photo on the Oregon O and in the end zone. That was sweet. I wish Arizona stadium had something like that.

Leaving the stadium, we saw the team bus. I waited for a few minutes with what looked to be the families of several players and some elated fans. Saw coach Magee, several players, stood next to Ken Griffey Jr, and saw Byrne. That was awesome to see.

Leaving the stadium, we got nothing but "good games" and "you guys deserved the W". I cannot emphasize how classy and respectful Oregon fans were in defeat. I was shocked. Isn't Oregon supposed to be on the asu level of classlessness? I didn't see it, besides some younger students.

Thus, ended the best away game I've been to. It was an awesome experience. Bear Down!
azcat49

Re: Salty in Eugene

Post by azcat49 »

Nice report. A colleagues son went up there and indeed he had pictures of being on the field. That is a nice touch. He said the Oregon fans pretty,much stand the whole game, young or old.

Isn't there a river thst runs right by stadium? Why in the world did the bald guy throw down? It would seem you were either being a super dick AZ. Fan or he was in a drunken state. No security intervened?

I would love to do what you are doing and have it on my bucket list. Where are the pics dude?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azcat49 wrote:Why in the world did the bald guy throw down? It would seem you were either being a super dick AZ. Fan or he was in a drunken state. No security intervened?
No Salty post should be taken literally. Just sayin'.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

I have the same goal, only Wazzu and UCLA left (and after this year only Wazzu). Was in Eugene for the game 4 years ago and Oregon's setup is 2nd to none. I thought most oregon fans (and,right,epecially the ones old enough to remember when they sucked) were very friendly. We had some young guys (might even have been students) share their beer with us.But, like all fan bases,they do have their knuckleheads.

you picked a great year to go to Eugene. :)
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

That's interesting that fans around you stood the entire time. I was in a different section, a little closer to the visitors section it would have appeared (the visitors section looked like a scattered group at best) and after the first drive all of the duck fans around me sat down. I was shocked! And after the shock set in, I sat down too like the alumn that I am.

After the game, every duck fan was pretty congratulatory. Most cursed the Pac12 refs, saying they gifted us the game. I don't believe that, but I agreed with them so that they'd just get back to the pleasantries of telling me where to go in Eugene and what to do.

Also thanks for the idea of watching the Cats in every Pac12 stadium. My wife's going to hate it, but I'm adding it to my list! I've only been to a couple of away games: ASU, Cal, and now Oregon. I have my work cut out for me.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat wrote:
azcat49 wrote:Why in the world did the bald guy throw down? It would seem you were either being a super dick AZ. Fan or he was in a drunken state. No security intervened?
No Salty post should be taken literally. Just sayin'.
took out his keys and threw them at me

Who would do that? If someone threw their keys at my I would be tempted to throw them over the railing.
Saint James

Post by Saint James »

"I have a goal to watch the Cats play in every PAC-12 stadium. Oregon is now included on my list, which consists of Washington, Colorado, asu, USC, and UCLA. I may be adding Washington State and Utah this year as well."

I only have Cal and Utah to go to do the same thing. I have been in the Cal stadium but not during a game. My Oregon game was a long time ago so must go back. However, since we now have beaten them two years in a row, it may be dangerous. :-)
Good For You

Post by Good For You »

No kidding, especially if I had massive traps like Salty. Or just put his keys in my pocket.
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

TuiTouchdown wrote: Also thanks for the idea of watching the Cats in every Pac12 stadium. My wife's going to hate it, but I'm adding it to my list! I've only been to a couple of away games: ASU, Cal, and now Oregon. I have my work cut out for me.
Outside of Wazzu, pretty much every roadie in the conference is easy to get to and is in or near a city that's worth spending a weekend in & around. Tickets (outside of Oregon) are not hard to get. It's a yearly ritual for me and my buddies now.

Would have been a different story if we were the Pac-16 and had trips to Norman and Stillwater on the schedule. That would have sucked (though Austin would have been a blast.....)
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

azthrillhouse wrote:
TuiTouchdown wrote: Also thanks for the idea of watching the Cats in every Pac12 stadium. My wife's going to hate it, but I'm adding it to my list! I've only been to a couple of away games: ASU, Cal, and now Oregon. I have my work cut out for me.
Outside of Wazzu, pretty much every roadie in the conference is easy to get to and is in or near a city that's worth spending a weekend in & around. Tickets (outside of Oregon) are not hard to get. It's a yearly ritual for me and my buddies now.

Would have been a different story if we were the Pac-16 and had trips to Norman and Stillwater on the schedule. That would have sucked (though Austin would have been a blast.....)
Yeah good call. Unfortunately, my wife and I live in NYC so going to games has been limited to once every other year. Hell, I almost missed my connection to Eugene on Thurs. But you're right, we have some great and easily accessible campuses here in the Pac12. Need to see them all fall to our Wildcats.
Salty

Post by Salty »

azcat49 wrote:Nice report. A colleagues son went up there and indeed he had pictures of being on the field. That is a nice touch. He said the Oregon fans pretty,much stand the whole game, young or old.

Isn't there a river thst runs right by stadium? Why in the world did the bald guy throw down? It would seem you were either being a super dick AZ. Fan or he was in a drunken state. No security intervened?

I would love to do what you are doing and have it on my bucket list. Where are the pics dude?
The Oregon fans stood at different intervals. They didn't seem to stand the whole game in my section. Mostly when the Ducks were on defense. I was not impressed by the sound. I thought Washington was louder.

The bald guy was pissed off that we had just scored again and were up 24-14. We pulled our keys out and I think he was just trying to mock us with his keys when they went flying out of his hand.

Salty

Post by Salty »

TuiTouchdown wrote:Also thanks for the idea of watching the Cats in every Pac12 stadium. My wife's going to hate it, but I'm adding it to my list! I've only been to a couple of away games: ASU, Cal, and now Oregon. I have my work cut out for me.
I've really enjoyed it so far. Now that we don't play two teams for two years, it makes things a little more difficult, but a little planning ahead will keep everything in line.

We may not play in Eugene for another 4 years so I decided this was the year, and I'm glad I went!

Washington was the best overall experience, I think. Oregon is close, but something about walking through the Washington campus and visiting that area was special. Even though we lost.

UCLA had the hottest girls.

USC and Colorado were decent. Colorado had the rudest fans. USC didn't have anything near a sellout.

I'm really glad I've chosen to do this. It's been a blast!
Saint James

Post by Saint James »

Hmmmmm. When I went to Colorado a few years ago, year Stoops fired, they were very nice to me. Maybe it had something to do with their kicking our butts for one of their only wins.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I've only been to Ucla, Colorado and asu