THE USC Trojans Discussion & Predictions Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Merkin

Re: THE USC Trojans Discussion, Scout & Predictions Thread

Post by Merkin »

Dosia wrote:This is the game Arizona always seems to lose. We will have turned the corner if RR can rally the troops and beat the Trojans. I think the Cats can do it.

Exactly what I was thinking. Cats always seem to have a huge letdown after a big win. RR is going to earn his pay v. USC keeping the Cats' heads on straight.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

This is gonna be a long week.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azpenguin wrote:This is gonna be a long week.
It's already been a long week.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

USC -3 at Arizona
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

What we are a home dog to an unranked team? Looks like we believe but Vegas doesn't

Has to be the first time in history that a top 10 team AT HOME is a dog against an unranked opponent
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

azcat49 wrote:What we are a home dog to an unranked team? Looks like we believe but Vegas doesn't

Has to be the first time in history that a top 10 team AT HOME is a dog against an unranked opponent
Vegas just made RR's job a lot easier. Wonder if this is the week that we see Randall? I say that because BC ran read option all game long and put up 452 yards rushing against SC. From the FWIW files - RR is 3-0 as a Home Dog ATS since he's been here at Arizona.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

I really doubt that Anu leaves anytime for any other QB. We might run option, but Anu is running it unless he physically can't.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

azcat49 wrote:What we are a home dog to an unranked team? Looks like we believe but Vegas doesn't

49, it is a huge slap in the face and a reality check as well.

That is precisely what our team needs to see. Vegas does not believe and I know Vegas is usually right on the money and in truth our top #10 ranking may be a bit much at this stage so the guys need to be realistic and stay humble.

The coaches and players should use this as an extreme motivational tool for USC prep.

No more excuses, win and respect will take care of itself.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

dc4azcats wrote:

Vegas just made RR's job a lot easier. Wonder if this is the week that we see Randall? I say that because BC ran read option all game long and put up 452 yards rushing against SC. From the FWIW files - RR is 3-0 as a Home Dog ATS since he's been here at Arizona.

That's quite interesting DC. I was just talking to my dad about RR and what trick he will have up his sleeve against SC. USC will be looking for that tailback coming out of the backfield for a long pass play which Oregon didn't expect. Nor adjust to.

Worth a buck in RAP!
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

The Cats had better not under-estimate the Trojans. USC is one-batted down pass (USC's #10 was just spotted still standing in the end zone waiting for the Hail Mary pass) from being ranked in the top 10 this week.

This will be our first test this year against a large, physical football team. I hope we have all of our DL's healthy for the game. The thought of Damian Mama (6-5 370) going up against Zellers (247 lbs) at NT leaves me a bit queasy.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

With all of the upsets this year I am not surprised. Remember, SC is one batted down pass away from being a top 10 team.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

dc4azcats wrote:

Holy shit! Bulletin board material...

Is Vegas trying to get big money to come in on UA?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Maybe vegas remembers what happened after the last time we beat oregon?
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

That's what I would guess Chi. USC is heavily played each week so they had to set a line that would inspire some AZ action. This line should do it
Last edited by azcat49 on Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

dc4azcats wrote:

That's an interesting thought there. You've got that much athleticism sitting there waiting for a chance to play. Plus if you can get the SC safeties to flinch on a run fake, Randall can throw the ball a long long way.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azcat49 wrote:That's what I would guess Chi. USC is heavily played each week so they had to set a line that would Ln spire dome AZ action. This line should do it

Good point J. I'm not a gambler, but my understanding is that Vegas sets the lines on not how the game will turn out, but just a means to try and get the bettors to bet 50/50 on each side.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

I'm not surprised by Arizona being dogs, I knew they would but I still think Az wins by a TD. USC WR core is weak which I think is Arizona's weakness on defense.
Catstatic

Re: THE USC Trojans Discussion & Predictions Thread

Post by Catstatic »

If BC ran on them like they did, we should be able to tear it up. Watching their pass defense (cough) means we should be able to pass without too much difficulty. Their lack of depth is significant and RR's offense is known for wearing teams down. Plus it is at our place, and we're the underdogs?

Okay. I really like our chances!

Go Cats!!
Good For You

Post by Good For You »

ESPN Classic right now. 1994 Arizona @ USC

Dan White. Richard Dice. Massive shoulder pads. Half shirts. Marching bands. This is good shit.....except we lost
Last edited by Good For You on Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Good For You wrote:ESPN Classic right now. 1994 Arizona @ USC
Aw hells nah.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Ben Hansen just posted this on Facebook:

HANDLING PROSPERITY: In each of the last three seasons (2011-14), an unranked Arizona team has upset a Top 10-ranked opponent, and each time, UA lost the next week. In fact, not only is UA 0-3 in games following their major upsets, the Wildcats have been outscored by a combined 166-62 in those games. MORE: Arizona has pulled off at least one upset victory every season dating back to 2000.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

Merkin wrote:Ben Hansen just posted this on Facebook:

HANDLING PROSPERITY: In each of the last three seasons (2011-14), an unranked Arizona team has upset a Top 10-ranked opponent, and each time, UA lost the next week. In fact, not only is UA 0-3 in games following their major upsets, the Wildcats have been outscored by a combined 166-62 in those games. MORE: Arizona has pulled off at least one upset victory every season dating back to 2000.
I only found two games where the above is true so I'm not sure where the 3rd game is? In both cases though the upset occurred at home and we went out on the road the next week. Huge difference here where the upset occurred on the road and we're at home the next week.

LY we beat Oregon at home and go on the road and lose to Assu
2012 - we beat SC at home and go on the road to Ucla the next week and lose.
The only other time in recent memory where we upset a top 10 team was when we beat #9 Iowa in 2010 and then beat Cal the next week. Both games were at home.
jollything

Post by jollything »

Yeah I don't see a top 10 win in 2011. We lost to the 3 ranked teams we played Okla St, Stan, and Ore

So he is off.
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

[quote="azpenguin"]If I'm not mistaken, this is going to be the first sellout since the LSFF project was completed. It's time to see just how loud Arizona Stadium can get.

quote]

I went to the first game that LSFF project was completed last season. I remember telling my buddy that the combination of the closed in end zone, video boards, and field turf could really make Arizona Stadium very loud for a big time game. Hopefully we will finally see that to fruition this weekend.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

So 2010: Iowa (9) @ Home - next game @ Home vs California. Then lost to Or St, won Wazzu, Wash, UCLA

2012: USC (10) @ Home - next game @ UCLA (25) lost (then beat Colorado and Utah)

2013: Oregon (5) @ Oregon - next game @ ASU (13) lost - then beat Boston College in a bowl game.

--

I think the difference here is now Arizona is coming off a huge road win (at the formerly #2 team) then coming home. UofA has to win this no doubt, you have to protect your home field. Wazzu, UCLA, & Utah on the road will not be easy.

Have to win at home no matter what.
Last edited by NYCat on Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Listening to the Peristyle Podcast (scout guys from USC). No earth shattering info, but it gives you an idea about the problems in Troy.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Sounds like he was on fire quote-wise even by normal RR standards.
Saint James

Post by Saint James »

I think RR knows how important this game is. Ya think?

This is a big one.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I've been watching UA football for a LONG time and I have a very good feeling about this game for some crazy bat ass reason.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Hard edge time. This is going to be so special. I think USC is walking into a buzz saw and they don't even know it.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

EastCoastCat wrote:I've been watching UA football for a LONG time and I have a very good feeling about this game for some crazy bat ass reason.
yup, feel the same too.

#undefeatedtillPac12champgame
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Have USC Trojans received equal Pac-12 scheduling treatment?

http://espn.go.com/blog/colleges/usc/po ... -treatment
LOS ANGELES -- Did extra practice and film study time by Arizona State help lead up to the Sun Devils' last play, a 46-yard Hail Mary victory at USC on Saturday night in the Coliseum?

The Sun Devils, trailing by nine points with just under three minutes remaining and no timeouts left, found a way to exploit some fundamental lapses in the Trojans' defense and position themselves for a miracle 38-34 comeback win.

Even before USC's Saturday night's Pac-12 South Division meltdown against ASU, there's been a growing conspiracy theory, as it pertains to the Trojans' Pac-12 scheduling, specifically in the Pac-12 South Division.

The conspiracy issue?

The issue is that every Pac-12 South team that plays the Trojans has either a full bye week or extra days after a previous Thursday night game to prepare for the Trojans. In kind, USC hasn't been given equal scheduling treatment.
The writer has a point. USC is getting kinda screwed here. Not that I care. :D
Salty

Post by Salty »

If they want fair scheduling, stop playing Notre Dame.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Salty wrote:If they want fair scheduling, stop playing Notre Dame.
You didn't read the article did you?
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

azgreg wrote:Have USC Trojans received equal Pac-12 scheduling treatment?

LOS ANGELES -- Did extra practice and film study time by Arizona State help lead up to the Sun Devils' last play, a 46-yard Hail Mary victory at USC on Saturday night in the Coliseum?

The Sun Devils, trailing by nine points with just under three minutes remaining and no timeouts left, found a way to exploit some fundamental lapses in the Trojans' defense and position themselves for a miracle 38-34 comeback win.

Even before USC's Saturday night's Pac-12 South Division meltdown against ASU, there's been a growing conspiracy theory, as it pertains to the Trojans' Pac-12 scheduling, specifically in the Pac-12 South Division.

The conspiracy issue?

The issue is that every Pac-12 South team that plays the Trojans has either a full bye week or extra days after a previous Thursday night game to prepare for the Trojans. In kind, USC hasn't been given equal scheduling treatment.
That's interesting but at the same time the UA coachers were out recruiting on Friday night after the Oregon game. Saturday they took off - players had both Friday and Saturday off with everybody coming back to work on Sunday. I get what the writer is saying but I'm not sure it's actually leading to extra film time etc. Extra rest? Certainly. Extra film time? I guess that's up for debate.

I get the premise though and in that regard SC has a legit beef, I'm just not sure it meant more film time by the opposing coaches.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I like what Jim Rome said today as he couldn't understand why they were calling it a "Hail Mary" as a HM is when everybody jumps for the ball and it's either knocked away or knocked to another receiver or it's caught. In this case - none of the USC players jumped to try and knock the ball away, meanwhile the Assu player ran a post and the ball was there.
Salty

Post by Salty »

azgreg wrote:
I thought the part you quoted was the entire article, my mistake.

Regardless, don't the Cali school have a requirement that they all play each other every season, no matter what? And then USC has to play Notre Dame, and that can lead to conflicts.

That's not a recipe for flexible scheduling.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Salty wrote:
azgreg wrote:

Regardless, don't the Cali school have a requirement that they all play each other every season, no matter what? And then USC has to play Notre Dame, and that can lead to conflicts.

Again, that's not what the article is about. Every Pac-12 South opponent for USC gets extra days before they play USC. For example, they played Saturday, but we played on Thursday giving us a few more days to prepare.
Salty

Post by Salty »

azgreg wrote:
Salty wrote:
azgreg wrote:

Again, that's not what the article is about. Every Pac-12 South opponent for USC gets extra days before they play USC. For example, they played Saturday, but we played on Thursday giving us a few more days to prepare.
Yes, I understand that.

My point... Which I will now repeat for the third time...

Is that requiring a schedule that consists of all three other Cali schools, and Notre Dame, does not provide the drafters of the schedule flexibility to create an advantageous schedule for SC. So, therefore, SC's gripes are with themselves, because without those requirements, the schedule could be easier to create.
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

azgreg wrote:Have USC Trojans received equal Pac-12 scheduling treatment?

After we win 3 Rose Bowls and a natty then maybe I'll feel bad about quasi-unfair advantages against USC (or ASU).

Until then, apologize for nothing.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Salty wrote:Yes, I understand that.

Is that requiring a schedule that consists of all three other Cali schools, and Notre Dame, does not provide the drafters of the schedule flexibility to create an advantageous schedule for SC. So, therefore, SC's gripes are with themselves, because without those requirements, the schedule could be easier to create.
I understand what you are saying and as usual you are off base. USC plays the same number of conference games as everybody else. The article goes into the fact that their opponent in southern division games always have extra time to get ready. The fact that they have to play all the California teams and Notre Dame is irrelevant.
Salty

Post by Salty »

azgreg wrote:
Salty wrote:Yes, I understand that.

I understand what you are saying and as usual you are off base. USC plays the same number of conference games as everybody else. The article goes into the fact that their opponent in southern division games always have extra time to get ready. The fact that they have to play all the California teams and Notre Dame is irrelevant.
Really? You don't think that having irregular and non-negotiable scheduling demands would create a disadvantageous schedule?

Ok then.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Salty wrote:Really? You don't think that having irregular and non-negotiable scheduling demands would create a disadvantageous schedule?

Ok then.
The fact that they play Stanford and Cal 6 out of 6 years instead of 4 out of 6 years puts no more strain on their schedule than any other Pac-12 school. Notre Dame might, but they've been playing each other so long and USC is a main part of Notre dame's schedule it's not a factor. The fact that you don't comprehend this is not surprising, as a matter of fact after reading your posts for some time it's become a standard.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Here is an early and superficial preview from Bleacher Report.
"Well, we’re 5-0. We’re one win away from bowl eligibility, I guess. I think it’s hopefully a shot of confidence that we can play against a really good team. We still have a lot of things to clean up," - Rodriguez on where Arizona is after the Oregon game, via GoDucks.com.

"Getting that win shows that we can play 60 minutes. We knew we were going into a battle, but that’s Arizona football," - Jones-Grigsby on beating Oregon, via GoDucks.com.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

EastCoastCat wrote:I've been watching UA football for a LONG time and I have a very good feeling about this game for some crazy bat ass reason.
When you get that feeling....isn't it about the same time they crush your heart? ;)
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
When you get that feeling....isn't it about the same time they crush your heart? ;)

Let's see, been a fan since 81 when I was a freshman. 2014 - 1981 = 33 years of having my heart crushed. But now I go into a season with very low expectations, so it's not so painful.

Unlike basketball where I expect to go undefeated every game.
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

Attachments
USC.jpg
USC.jpg (30.74 KiB) Viewed 1356 times
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Sark's Sunday night press availability.

UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

ANGCatFan wrote:Sark's Sunday night press availability.

Have to give Sark a little credit there. That's a good call about 1st down offense. Our defense looks a lot weaker when defending 2 and 5, 3 and 2 as opposed to 3rd and longs.