2019 Recruit/Commitment Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

MrBug708

Re: 2019 Recruit/Commitment Thread

Post by MrBug708 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
btfd16 wrote:I have been reserved on Gunnell, but there is now no doubt in my mind that he will commit to Arizona in the month of June. All in. LSU got a top 2020 in state prospect yesterday and has another 2019 QB visiting this weekend. tOSU seems to be scrambling. I think the Sumlin/Mazzone connection takes over. Book it. Quote me. Make me eat crow.
Only UCLA concerns me at the moment.
UCLA would take him but they are all in on Jayden Daniels for their top target QB.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

UALoco wrote:I refuse to get excited...trust me, it is best that way..gives us the best chance to recruit well because if I do get excited, it is a cold-lock that we are disappointed, again.
Well I was the one who started school in 1999 and in my mind jinxed the program into hiring John Mackovic so we should DEFINITELY never sit next to each other at a game
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

MrBug708 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
btfd16 wrote:I have been reserved on Gunnell, but there is now no doubt in my mind that he will commit to Arizona in the month of June. All in. LSU got a top 2020 in state prospect yesterday and has another 2019 QB visiting this weekend. tOSU seems to be scrambling. I think the Sumlin/Mazzone connection takes over. Book it. Quote me. Make me eat crow.
UCLA would take him but they are all in on Jayden Daniels for their top target QB.
Thx Bug, that covers all my concerns. Daniels certainly makes way more sense for Chip than Gunnell does. Can't see Gunnell going anywhere else, but here now.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Thx Bug, that covers all my concerns. Daniels certainly makes way more sense for Chip than Gunnell does. Can't see Gunnell going anywhere else, but here now.
Appreciate the insight Bug. I try not to get excited but I can't help it. I need one of these Sumlin recruits sometime soon. I'm getting anxious without the actual season.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

InState OLineman
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Newportcat wrote:InState OLineman
Uh, Brayden, do yourself a big favor. Take the Yale offer.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

MrMeow wrote:
I would disagree here as the guy has legit D1 offers from a good number of schools. He has great height and a frame where he could put on more weight. So I could see a path for him developing into something.

I would advise him to go D1...and of course to come to Arizona!
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Newportcat wrote:
MrMeow wrote:
I would disagree here as the guy has legit D1 offers from a good number of schools. He has great height and a frame where he could put on more weight. So I could see a path for him developing into something.

You offer this advice based on his prospects of playing pro football someday? Less than 2% of high school athletes reach that level, and a much smaller percentage do anything significant, or make serious money, after getting there. In the face of a scholarship offer from Yale, you would advise a 3 star kid to play those odds? Really? Or, perhaps I'm being too presumptuous. Perhaps you think his career prospects would be better with a UA degree than a Yale degree.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

MrMeow wrote:
Newportcat wrote:
MrMeow wrote:

You offer this advice based on his prospects of playing pro football someday? Less than 2% of high school athletes reach that level, and a much smaller percentage do anything significant, or make serious money, after getting there. In the face of a scholarship offer from Yale, you would advise a 3 star kid to play those odds? Really? Or, perhaps I'm being too presumptuous. Perhaps you think his career prospects would be better with a UA degree than a Yale degree.
I was curious about the Yale degree versus Arizona degree angle. I’ve long been a proponent of the argument that expensive degrees are overrated. A quick google search provides a bit of apples to oranges comparison, but average salaries of Yale grads 10 years after graduation is $66,000. The average starting salary of Arizona graduates is $44,000. If you simply increase the salary by 3% for 10 years, that’s $55,000/year. Of course that’s not really a good way to do it as you assume the person will move up the company ladder in that time. The point is, the gulf between a Yale degree and an Arizona degree is more perceptual than factual.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Yale doesn't offer athletic scholarships. Point is moot.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

ChooChooCat wrote:Yale doesn't offer athletic scholarships. Point is moot.
Nope. Scholarship athletes at Yale are on academic scholarships, which most would not otherwise have except for their sport.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:
MrMeow wrote:
Newportcat wrote:
MrMeow wrote:

I was curious about the Yale degree versus Arizona degree angle. I’ve long been a proponent of the argument that expensive degrees are overrated. A quick google search provides a bit of apples to oranges comparison, but average salaries of Yale grads 10 years after graduation is $66,000. The average starting salary of Arizona graduates is $44,000. If you simply increase the salary by 3% for 10 years, that’s $55,000/year. Of course that’s not really a good way to do it as you assume the person will move up the company ladder in that time. The point is, the gulf between a Yale degree and an Arizona degree is more perceptual than factual.
I appreciate your research, however, I find the results dubious. My first job out of UA paid today's equivalent of $115,000/yr., year one. Regular bachelor degree in business administration. Nothing fancy. 10 years later? A lot more. $66,000/yr. is $34/hr. Bright, hard working high school grads, not the laggards that drag down averages, make that long before 10 years after graduation. I know lots of them. Bear in mind, Yale doesn't graduate laggards, so we can throw that element out. Again, thanks or the research and input, but something is wrong with the conclusion. I'm not convinced the "gulf" is perceptual.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

MrMeow wrote:
Nope. Scholarship athletes at Yale are on academic scholarships, which most would not otherwise have except for their sport.
They're not put on academic scholarships either (unless earned). They qualify for financial aid and that's about it.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

I’m just a dumb architect, not a statistician, but your single point of data is presumably of little value—you can’t throw away statistics because they don’t meet your singular experience. Schools put out this information based on actual statistical research and evaluation of the entire spectrum of graduates. You’re not accounting for graduates who get married and stop working, low paying fields, etc.

“the national average salary 10 years after enrollment for graduates who had been on federal financial aid is $34,000, comparable Yale graduates take home a median salary of $66,000.”

Furthermore: “Yale ranked second-to-last in the Ivy League for alumni salaries.”

This is from the Yale Daily News three years ago: https://yaledailynews.com/blog/2015/09/ ... -students/" target="_blank
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

ChooChooCat wrote:
MrMeow wrote:
They're not put on academic scholarships either (unless earned). They qualify for financial aid and that's about it.
I suspect "earning" an academic scholarship for a recruited football player is different than it is for a regular student.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:I’m just a dumb architect, not a statistician, but your single point of data is presumably of little value—you can’t throw away statistics because they don’t meet your singular experience. Schools put out this information based on actual statistical research and evaluation of the entire spectrum of graduates. You’re not accounting for graduates who get married and stop working, low paying fields, etc.

“the national average salary 10 years after enrollment for graduates who had been on federal financial aid is $34,000, comparable Yale graduates take home a median salary of $66,000.”

Furthermore: “Yale ranked second-to-last in the Ivy League for alumni salaries.”

This is from the Yale Daily News three years ago: https://yaledailynews.com/blog/2015/09/ ... -students/" target="_blank
I'm not going to do the research, however, I don't doubt "Yale ranked second-to-last in the Ivy League for Alumni salaries" is a lot better than "first for alumni salaries" in the PAC 12.

Yes, there are reasons averages get dragged down, as you point out, however, do you really think the averages apply to Brayden? Get married and drop out of the work force, stay in a low paying field, etc.? Judging by his academic and athletic performance this is a bright, ambitious kid. Taken on an individual basis, it is likely better opportunities would appear for him with a Yale degree than a D-1 college degree. Someone, I think Warren Buffet, said, "one of the main values of an education is who you meet while getting one". Yale or UA? You tell me. This kid should not pass up this opportunity so he can play football at a D-1 college. That, to me, is just stupid. I assume you disagree, which is fine.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

MrMeow wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
MrMeow wrote:
I suspect "earning" an academic scholarship for a recruited football player is different than it is for a regular student.
It's not. Look they don't offer scholarships for athletics period. If this guy was to be put on scholarship it would solely be for his academic prowess and his ability to get one would be no different than for anybody else regardless of his athletic ability. He has an "offer" to be on the Yale football team and that's about his only guarantee he'd have.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

ChooChooCat wrote:
MrMeow wrote:
Yup, you are correct - but it's pretty generous:

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/23/spor ... -rise.html" target="_blank
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

UCLA legacy kid I believe, hope we take him, even if it's just as a body
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

MrMeow wrote:
ByJoveByJingle wrote:I’m just a dumb architect, not a statistician, but your single point of data is presumably of little value—you can’t throw away statistics because they don’t meet your singular experience. Schools put out this information based on actual statistical research and evaluation of the entire spectrum of graduates. You’re not accounting for graduates who get married and stop working, low paying fields, etc.

I'm not going to do the research, however, I don't doubt "Yale ranked second-to-last in the Ivy League for Alumni salaries" is a lot better than "first for alumni salaries" in the PAC 12.

Yes, there are reasons averages get dragged down, as you point out, however, do you really think the averages apply to Brayden? Get married and drop out of the work force, stay in a low paying field, etc.? Judging by his academic and athletic performance this is a bright, ambitious kid. Taken on an individual basis, it is likely better opportunities would appear for him with a Yale degree than a D-1 college degree. Someone, I think Warren Buffet, said, "one of the main values of an education is who you meet while getting one". Yale or UA? You tell me. This kid should not pass up this opportunity so he can play football at a D-1 college. That, to me, is just stupid. I assume you disagree, which is fine.
I understand the default to Yale. But there are so many factors why intelligent people don’t all go to Yale, even aside from the limited space available. Or UCLA, which our painfully elitist Bruin friends highlight (after all, UofA is akin to a community college in their estimation). I understand why somebody would want to go to Yale. I also understand why somebody would choose not to. And you have even provided your own experience as anecdotal evidence that a person can be very successful without an Ivy League education.

Let’s hope he decides to stay home.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:
MrMeow wrote:

I understand the default to Yale. But there are so many factors why intelligent people don’t all go to Yale, even aside from the limited space available. Or UCLA, which our painfully elitist Bruin friends highlight (after all, UofA is akin to a community college in their estimation). I understand why somebody would want to go to Yale. I also understand why somebody would choose not to. And you have even provided your own experience as anecdotal evidence that a person can be very successful without an Ivy League education.

As to the anecdotal evidence, any success I have had, Brayden should have more with a Yale degree. It's a superior place for hard working, ambitious people to develop. I hope he looks down the road 40 years, not 4.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

This is the weirdest fucking response I've seen to an Arizona offer ever.
Sid

Post by Sid »

MrMeow wrote:
ByJoveByJingle wrote:
MrMeow wrote:

As to the anecdotal evidence, any success I have had, Brayden should have more with a Yale degree. It's a superior place for hard working, ambitious people to develop. I hope he looks down the road 40 years, not 4.
Fucking amazing in this day that we offer a kid and we have posts hoping the kid chooses another university?

Fantastic.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Bummer performance from Gunnell...maybe he comes to Arizona after all.

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/football/ ... ohio-state
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

UALoco wrote:Bummer performance from Gunnell...maybe he comes to Arizona after all.

Lol he was coming to Arizona regardless how he performed in the Elite 11, but yeah it looks like arm strength was an issue (strength and conditioning will be needed) and some guys just aren't good in this kind of setting (Nick Foles anyone), so I wouldn't read too much into it. Theoretically when he comes in Tate should be in his senior year, so Gunnell can redshirt, and then compete with Doyle the following year.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
UALoco wrote:Bummer performance from Gunnell...maybe he comes to Arizona after all.

Lol he was coming to Arizona regardless how he performed in the Elite 11, but yeah it looks like arm strength was an issue (strength and conditioning will be needed) and some guys just aren't good in this kind of setting (Nick Foles anyone), so I wouldn't read too much into it. Theoretically when he comes in Tate should be in his senior year, so Gunnell can redshirt, and then compete with Doyle the following year.
I really like Doyle a lot. Great size and a very strong athlete. Look at his measurables and then compare them to Tate. Over 100 Sparq score for Doyle.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/foot ... evin-doyle" target="_blank

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/foot ... halil-tate" target="_blank

For what its worth Chief loves Doyle too. Great late cycle commit for us and I see him being #2 this year.

Gunnell looks strong too and those two could be our best QB recruits in some time
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Newportcat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

For what its worth Chief loves Doyle too. Great late cycle commit for us and I see him being #2 this year.
It's not worth much. Can we move on? He keeps getting brought back up and I'm sure he's still lurking and loves the attention.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ChooChooCat wrote:

UA had a couple of Elite 11 QBs some years back. Nic Costa and Ryan ???, neither made an impact. Reports were that Costa couldn't even hit a net in practice his accuracy was so bad. Think he ended up transferring to Portland State to try and make it as a slot receiver.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Merkin wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

UA had a couple of Elite 11 QBs some years back. Nic Costa and Ryan ???, neither made an impact. Reports were that Costa couldn't even hit a net in practice his accuracy was so bad. Think he ended up transferring to Portland State to try and make it as a slot receiver.
Wow the Elite 11 has been around that long?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Merkin wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Ryan O'Hara 
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Merkin wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Ryan O'Hara 
Thanks Eebs, you are always saving my ass with your superb memory.

O'Hara:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/pl ... ara-1.html" target="_blank

Costa:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/pl ... sta-1.html" target="_blank
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Haha, I’m forever cynical about Elite 11 because of our “Elite” 11 qb experience in the Mackovic era.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:Haha, I’m forever cynical about Elite 11 because of our “Elite” 11 qb experience in the Mackovic era.
Was Tuitama Elite 11?
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

btfd16 wrote:
Newportcat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

It's not worth much. Can we move on? He keeps getting brought back up and I'm sure he's still lurking and loves the attention.
I do think Chief knows his stuff when it comes to football recruiting...everything else not so much
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Newportcat wrote:
ByJoveByJingle wrote:Haha, I’m forever cynical about Elite 11 because of our “Elite” 11 qb experience in the Mackovic era.
Was Tuitama Elite 11?
Yes, he was. But Costa and O’Hara were Mackovick recruits and they truly did not even look like they should have been D1 prospects. Tuitama had his shortcomings (exacerbated by being concussed into the next millennium on a cheap shot by a monstrous LSU player) . . . but he at least belonged on a PAC-12 field.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I honestly thought the Elite 11 was just a Trent Dilfer thing. I had no idea it has been going on that long.

Either way I think Gunnell goes public today.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

4 Star JC DE visits the UA

https://www.ktbs.com/sports/national/st ... 69c95.html" target="_blank
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

dmjcat wrote:4 Star JC DE visits the UA

Coach Meat's brother is the DC at his JUCO so we have an in there
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:
Newportcat wrote:
Was Tuitama Elite 11?
Yes, he was. But Costa and O’Hara were Mackovick recruits and they truly did not even look like they should have been D1 prospects. Tuitama had his shortcomings (exacerbated by being concussed into the next millennium on a cheap shot by a monstrous LSU player) . . . but he at least belonged on a PAC-12 field.
Very true. Tuitama will always hold a special place in my heart after that UCLA game his freshmen year. Still one of my my all-time favorite football memories watching us destroy the bruins
Sid

Post by Sid »

dmjcat wrote:4 Star JC DE visits the UA

Meh. Sick of offering these kids that apparently no one else wants. No offer from Alabama or Auburn?

Georgia, USC, Texas, Oregon, Nebraska, UCLA & Minnesota.

:D
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

ChooChooCat wrote:I honestly thought the Elite 11 was just a Trent Dilfer thing. I had no idea it has been going on that long.

Any specific reason you believe that? Not questioning you just curious where the hunch is stemming from. I know he has a planned LSU visit, but those are easily cancelled.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

btfd16 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:I honestly thought the Elite 11 was just a Trent Dilfer thing. I had no idea it has been going on that long.

Any specific reason you believe that? Not questioning you just curious where the hunch is stemming from. I know he has a planned LSU visit, but those are easily cancelled.
I was told he's announcing his commitment within the next 24 hours. I don't know anything about a LSU visit, but I doubt it happens.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
btfd16 wrote:

I was told he's announcing his commitment within the next 24 hours. I don't know anything about a LSU visit, but I doubt it happens.
Choo you sly son of a bitch... :D
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Worst kept secret at this point.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Good to see we have a solid future at QB with the guys on the squad and the committed QB.

Time to start going after the Big Uglies like they're a Texas QB
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Chief on Twitter seems to think we are leading for a transfer RB I wonder is he is talking about Kareem walker the transfer rb from Michigan. Did he choose them over us originally. I remember he was a 4 Star kid from New Mexico right?