BYU @ Arizona discussion thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

whatisee

Re: BYU @ Arizona discussion thread

Post by whatisee »

azgreg wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:I feel like I was watching Mangum play qb at BYU in some game on ESPN in like 2012.
According to his Wiki page he grayshirted his first year then went onto a 2 year mission before returning in 2015 so he was there then.
He may have been there, but as a grey shirt he wasn’t with the program at all yet
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Im about to board a plane to Singapore. I'll be in Sri Lanka for the game. Any body know of a sports bar in Kandy that gets the PAC 12 network?

Oops, my bad. Its on ESPN. Do they get that in Kandy maybe?
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
FightWildcatsFight

Post by FightWildcatsFight »

Good guys 24 BYU 21. Our offensive line looks highly suspect in an ugly, error filled game. BYU, breaking in a new offensive coordinator, makes a couple more mistakes than we do, giving us the win.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

UA 38, BYU 17

Our defense will show it is continuing to improve, picking off one pass getting to the QB consistently, and recovering a fumble on a sack. The offensive line will surprise everyone by limiting BYU's defense to one sack and opening holes for our running game. Our special team play will no longer be a huge detriment.

I am a happy camper that my son got me into his company's skybox for the game. BEAR DOWN!
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Anybody seen an official depth chart yet?
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
Sid

Post by Sid »

[quote="carcassdragger"]Anybody seen an official depth chart yet?[/quote

Nevermind.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Sid wrote:
carcassdragger wrote:Anybody seen an official depth chart yet?[/quote

Nevermind.

Sorry Sid, confused by your post. What day does it usually come out?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

carcassdragger wrote:
Sid wrote:

Nevermind.

The Arizona website still has the stuff up from last year.
Sid

Post by Sid »

carcassdragger wrote:
Sid wrote:

Nevermind.

I didn’t see the Santino post, I was late to the party and the reason for the edit. To your question, I’m trying to find out brother. Hoping I get a text back from a friend...
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Game notes without a depth chart from the official site.

ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

BYU Depth Chart

They have quite a bit of beef on the defensive line.

https://twitter.com/BYUCougarsPR/status ... 121da.html" target="_blank
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

EVCat

Post by EVCat »

I love this kind of consequence in an opening game, but also know that the whole season can feel like it has come crashing down with a loss in that kind of game.

I think of the 2005 game at Utah...Stoops 2nd year, lots of excitement about moving on from the Mackovic debacle with some narrow losses in the prior year against quality teams (Wisconsin storm game, Gilbert Harris fumble vs WSU), and really good reports coming from camp. It seemed like as big an opener as we had in a few years. We fell down pretty big, and I was off to see a concert,so I swallowed my Arizona football pill and decided to have a good time seeing some classic rock goodness in a John Fogerty/John Mellencamp twin bill. I left from the bar and we were down 27-10 late in the 3rd. Then we scored right at the end of the 3rd,and again early in the 4th to cut the lead to 3. So there I am, in DesertSkyBlockbusterAshley'sHomeStoreAkChin Pavillion refreshing my (I think) Blackberry every 5 seconds, missing what appeared to be a scorching set by Fogerty. In Arizona football fashion, we did not score in the last 9 minutes, lost 27-24, and I missed what was by far the better of the two acts on that night. Total failure.

That same team, full of a shit-ton of fight but not enough closing power, again scored early in the 4th to cut the lead to 31-24 against a ranked Purdue team in front of a sell out at Arizona Stadium, but again did not score in the final 10 minutes and we lost by 7, wasting a career game by Brad Wood (5r-96y-2tds). This, one year after the aforementioned Wisconsin storm game 1pt loss and "should you take a knee and punt with 5-10 seconds left? If you are Arizona vs WSU, you should" game vs the Cougs. Kicks. To. The. Gut.

Both seasons were sunk early. You may say "E(ast)V(alley)Cat, neither of those teams were expected to be as good as this one. Are they valid comparisons in their gravity?" Maybe not. But then I can give you Penn State 1999 or Colorado State 1994, games that sunk Top 5 Cats squads right out of the gate.

I am rambling. But this is where we are after the total surprise of last year. Few would have guessed the 1/2 punch of BYU/Houston '18 would hold so much weight at this time last year. Much like the surprise of 2014, when freshmen in key skill spots delivered 10 wins and heightened expectations for 2015, the 2017 surprise emergence of Khalil Tate in a season that was a couple of plays from one of the greats (Houston, USC, ASU all lost opportunities) has ramped up hopes and expectations in 2018.

BYU is a team that is known for delivering early season upsets, in part because of relative age and experience. And they have dropped us to start a season as recently as 2016. The best recent example of their early season threat was 2015, with an opening Hail Mary win over Nebraska in Lincoln that ending a 29 game home-opener winning streak for the Huskers. The decisive pass came from the arm of Saturday's BYU starter Tanner Magnum. The then-freshman QB did it again the next week, throwing another deep TD with :45 left to upset Boise St (BYU then intercepted a Boise pass 15 seconds later and returned it for a TD to make the final score appear more lopsided than it was).

So, this is what we want, right? Games of consequence early in the season. Magnum was a bit more of a scrambler in 2015 than he will likely be Saturday. As someone in month 4 of an Achilles rupture rehab, I can tell you the timeline is not one that suggests full mastery by the 10 month mark, if ever. I truly think next week is the much tougher game (not that I am some kind of genius for suggesting that), but it becomes a potential season killer before summer is even off the calendar if we lose on Saturday.

I fully believe we have the skill position talent to score on an above-average BYU defense, and the BYU offense was generationally bad last year, even before Magnum's injury...as I pointed out earlier in this thread, the 2017 BYU offense managed to score fewer PPG against a much easier schedule than even our much maligned 1992 offense in the first year of Desert Swarm. But I am never comfortable in these types of games
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

Unlike the past, the Cats will have the best player on the field by a long-shot.

BYU will get their punches in the first three quarters but by late 3rd and into the 4th quarter Khalil Tate and the ground game will be running at will against a tired BYU defensive line.

I would be shocked if we don't win this game by 2 TD's.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Sid

Post by Sid »

EVCat wrote:I love this kind of consequence in an opening game, but also know that the whole season can feel like it has come crashing down with a loss in that kind of game.

I think of the 2005 game at Utah...Stoops 2nd year, lots of excitement about moving on from the Mackovic debacle with some narrow losses in the prior year against quality teams (Wisconsin storm game, Gilbert Harris fumble vs WSU), and really good reports coming from camp. It seemed like as big an opener as we had in a few years. We fell down pretty big, and I was off to see a concert,so I swallowed my Arizona football pill and decided to have a good time seeing some classic rock goodness in a John Fogerty/John Mellencamp twin bill. I left from the bar and we were down 27-10 late in the 3rd. Then we scored right at the end of the 3rd,and again early in the 4th to cut the lead to 3. So there I am, in DesertSkyBlockbusterAshley'sHomeStoreAkChin Pavillion refreshing my (I think) Blackberry every 5 seconds, missing what appeared to be a scorching set by Fogerty. In Arizona football fashion, we did not score in the last 9 minutes, lost 27-24, and I missed what was by far the better of the two acts on that night. Total failure.

That same team, full of a shit-ton of fight but not enough closing power, again scored early in the 4th to cut the lead to 31-24 against a ranked Purdue team in front of a sell out at Arizona Stadium, but again did not score in the final 10 minutes and we lost by 7, wasting a career game by Brad Wood (5r-96y-2tds). This, one year after the aforementioned Wisconsin storm game 1pt loss and "should you take a knee and punt with 5-10 seconds left? If you are Arizona vs WSU, you should" game vs the Cougs. Kicks. To. The. Gut.

Both seasons were sunk early. You may say "E(ast)V(alley)Cat, neither of those teams were expected to be as good as this one. Are they valid comparisons in their gravity?" Maybe not. But then I can give you Penn State 1999 or Colorado State 1994, games that sunk Top 5 Cats squads right out of the gate.

I am rambling. But this is where we are after the total surprise of last year. Few would have guessed the 1/2 punch of BYU/Houston '18 would hold so much weight at this time last year. Much like the surprise of 2014, when freshmen in key skill spots delivered 10 wins and heightened expectations for 2015, the 2017 surprise emergence of Khalil Tate in a season that was a couple of plays from one of the greats (Houston, USC, ASU all lost opportunities) has ramped up hopes and expectations in 2018.

BYU is a team that is known for delivering early season upsets, in part because of relative age and experience. And they have dropped us to start a season as recently as 2016. The best recent example of their early season threat was 2015, with an opening Hail Mary win over Nebraska in Lincoln that ending a 29 game home-opener winning streak for the Huskers. The decisive pass came from the arm of Saturday's BYU starter Tanner Magnum. The then-freshman QB did it again the next week, throwing another deep TD with :45 left to upset Boise St (BYU then intercepted a Boise pass 15 seconds later and returned it for a TD to make the final score appear more lopsided than it was).

So, this is what we want, right? Games of consequence early in the season. Magnum was a bit more of a scrambler in 2015 than he will likely be Saturday. As someone in month 4 of an Achilles rupture rehab, I can tell you the timeline is not one that suggests full mastery by the 10 month mark, if ever. I truly think next week is the much tougher game (not that I am some kind of genius for suggesting that), but it becomes a potential season killer before summer is even off the calendar if we lose on Saturday.

I fully believe we have the skill position talent to score on an above-average BYU defense, and the BYU offense was generationally bad last year, even before Magnum's injury...as I pointed out earlier in this thread, the 2017 BYU offense managed to score fewer PPG against a much easier schedule than even our much maligned 1992 offense in the first year of Desert Swarm. But I am never comfortable in these types of games
I was pre-med. I highly recommend drinking heavily prior to kickoff. I can guarantee that this well educated advice will help you feel more comfortable. I can also personally guarantee you that byu will see things that they have only read about in books. I recommend Kettle One. Enjoy the ride.....
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Good stuff with a BYU insider.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

No depth chart?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

azgreg wrote:
Donovan Laie is going to be one very tired LT.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Strange about the TE, you would think Wolma has a lock on it.

Same with #2 QB.

No surprise with Tilford I guess, just a ST player who can't pick up the offensive schemes.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin wrote:Strange about the TE, you would think Wolma has a lock on it.

Same with #2 QB.

No surprise with Tilford I guess, just a ST player who can't pick up the offensive schemes.
There may be times we see all 3 TE's in the game at the same time.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Same with #2 QB.

I think including Peters is a surprise but Nunley was around too so not as shocked.

What does surprise me, and maybe I'm reading into it too much, but Kevin Doyle last? I'd understand if normal RS rules, but he can play these first few.
prh

Post by prh »

btfd16 wrote:

Same with #2 QB.

I think including Peters is a surprise but Nunley was around too so not as shocked.

What does surprise me, and maybe I'm reading into it too much, but Kevin Doyle last? I'd understand if normal RS rules, but he can play these first few.
Does it have to be the first 4 games? Or any time in regular season. Maybe they want to have him around in case Tate gets injured during conference play.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

What is the temperature going to be? Two days ago, I was visiting a temple in Sri Lanka. You have to take your shoes off an I did that about100 yards too soon. The pavement was hot but easily bearable. Then i notice some artificial grass pathwys and decide ther will be less gravel there. I was on and off in less than a second. It was a frying pan and I had giant blisters on the balls of my feet immediatly. I know they wear shoes in football, but that plastic shit is HOT I'm telling you.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Mid to upper 80s but with a 30% chance of rain
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

prh wrote:
btfd16 wrote:

Same with #2 QB.

Does it have to be the first 4 games? Or any time in regular season. Maybe they want to have him around in case Tate gets injured during conference play.
I think you're correct on any 4.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

Our depth at receiver, yikes. And O-line.

Really do think we'll win tomorrow, but only if it's a fairly normal game and our guys under Sumlin come ready to play tough and physical, as BYU is pretty big. Not necessarily super talented and agile, but big. If BYU comes out and is totally way more physical than we are, like the last time we played them and lost in a dreadful game, it'll be a long night.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

WTF do they mean by #BlockA20?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

TheGreatCatsby wrote:Our depth at receiver, yikes. And O-line.

Since there is no injury report, I'll give my tiny bit of inside info. I met Drew Dixon's (2nd string WR from Sabino) mom yesterday - she said he's being held out for the non-conference games as a precaution from some minor surgery he had on his knee and to have him healthy for the PAC-12 games.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

game thread is up
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Late money coming in on BYU. Line down to -10.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

azgreg wrote:Late money coming in on BYU. Line down to -10.
Because of the weather forecast
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

How many dudes over 30 play for this Cougar team?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote:How many dudes over 30 play for this Cougar team?
According to this piece from CBS they're not that old. Avg age 23.5 while ours is 23.3.

https://www.cbssports.com/collegefootba ... r-analysis" target="_blank
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

azgreg wrote:
EMFM speaks
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Traveling this week and staying at house with no ESPN. Looks like we'll be at the Tavern tonight hanging with the Beach Cats.

Let's go!!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »