Every. Damn. Time.

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

PieceOfMeat

Every. Damn. Time.

Post by PieceOfMeat »

I never, ever, ever, ever want to see or hear someone say Arizona has turned the corner, until we can beat a ranked team and then the following week beat another good team.

every motherf-ing time people start thinking we've done something, we've arrived, we've turned the corner, this shit happens.

our offense fumbles inside the 10, we miss a fg, we have a fg blocked, we miss a game winning FG, we etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

this is Arizona football until it proves otherwise. stop announcing our arrival until we've actually arrived.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

77HoyaCat4Ever

Re: Every. Damn. Time.

Post by 77HoyaCat4Ever »

This is why, for over 20 years, I have lived for basketball season.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I really feel stupid. I thought this team was different.

Same old Arizona...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

If you play with Fire you will get burned. We just couldn't keep waiting till the 4th quarter and some random plays (onside kicks) to win.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Arizona is always going to be Arizona. Just be happy with going to a bowl every year. Never have expectations higher than a bowl game.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat wrote:I really feel stupid. I thought this team was different.

Same old Arizona...

I don't feel stupid, knew it was coming, but I would really wish I was stupid.
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

Just chill everyone. This season is still different. This was heartbreaking but those kids fought like hell. And almost came away with a miraculous win. We were a few plays away from being 3-3, and a few plays away from being 6-0.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

TuiTouchdown wrote:Just chill everyone. This season is still different. This was heartbreaking but those kids fought like hell. And almost came away with a miraculous win. We were a few plays away from being 3-3, and a few plays away from being 6-0.
I'm not sure if that makes me feel any better.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

TuiTouchdown wrote:Just chill everyone. This season is still different. This was heartbreaking but those kids fought like hell. And almost came away with a miraculous win. We were a few plays away from being 3-3, and a few plays away from being 6-0.
Doesn't feel different. Same as always in fact.

KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Guys. This is my fault. I believed a little bit. Broke my own rule. Sorry guys
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Can't wait till oct 18th gets here.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Doesn't feel different. Same as always in fact.

OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.co ... -the-half/

Note the "Arizona following up Oregon with with a dud," title.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Like always. 0-4 now after our last 4 big upsets.

cpt

Post by cpt »

Skowron sucks. Oh was that too harsh? Sorry. He sucks ass.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

KaibabKat wrote:Image
Yep
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

cpt wrote:Skowron sucks. Oh was that too harsh? Sorry. He sucks ass.
I hate the truth. And facts. Fuck them too.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

We are a laughing stock.

Shaggybevo is having a nice laugh over our game.

Send him back to round ball.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I have been watching college football over 40 years very regularly, and very rarely does icing a kicker work.

But with him it worked. Twice!!!!

Don't recall seeing that ever.

Women's soccer team needs their manager back to fetch their balls.
SportsMind

Post by SportsMind »

OSUCat wrote:http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.co ... -the-half/

I don't think that was a dud. The missed FG's were huge but it was going to be a coin-flip game at best. Being #10 meant nothing except for the fact that enough teams lost and we won a big game at the perfect time.

The loss sucks, but don't let our ranking fool you. We are a talented, young, team with notable issues in a conference with similar talented teams and coaches.
cpt

Post by cpt »

If you can't make a 36 yarder in the middle of the field with the game in the balance, you shouldn't be a Div. I kicker. And shame on the program that has such a kicker on their roster.

And then try to fake a running into the kicker penalty. Yeah, what a joke.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Merkin wrote:
I have been watching college football over 40 years very regularly, and very rarely does icing a kicker work.

But with him it worked. Twice!!!!

Don't recall seeing that ever.
I was surprised by those last two pass plays. Not even close. I don't know why we didn't go for the win (I think we can agree that Anu fade pass is a throw away play at this point).

Also, Anu did make the wrong read on the 2pt conversion. He could have walked in for the TD.

But as we say, Arizona can't have nice things.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Don't be fooled by feel-good rhetoric either. Solomon was not on the same page with anyone tonight and Arizona still should have won.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

SportsMind wrote: I don't think that was a dud. The missed FG's were huge but it was going to be a coin-flip game at best. Being #10 meant nothing except for the fact that enough teams lost and we won a big game at the perfect time.

The loss sucks, but don't let our ranking fool you. We are a talented, young, team with notable issues in a conference with similar talented teams and coaches.
The ranking did not fool me, but the national media will see it as a dud and that's why I pointed it out. It doesn't matter what you or I think, its the recruits and media matters because of the stories that will be written.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Winning does not matter.. All about them swag uniforms
cats101

Post by cats101 »

Typical, just typical.
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

SportsMind wrote:

I don't think that was a dud. The missed FG's were huge but it was going to be a coin-flip game at best. Being #10 meant nothing except for the fact that enough teams lost and we won a big game at the perfect time.

Agree. We are still in the rebuilding stage and by my count we are ahead of schedule. We are a talented team that is just going to keep on getting better as the years go on. Yes this loss sucks. But we don't have to implode just because we lost our first game of the season by 2 pts I might add.
SportsMind

Post by SportsMind »

OSUCat wrote:
SportsMind wrote: I don't think that was a dud. The missed FG's were huge but it was going to be a coin-flip game at best. Being #10 meant nothing except for the fact that enough teams lost and we won a big game at the perfect time.

The ranking did not fool me, but the national media will see it as a dud and that's why I pointed it out. It doesn't matter what you or I think, its the recruits and media matters because of the stories that will be written.
It might hurt recruiting a bit, but I think it will be negligible. I wasn't really speaking to you, just the board in general. I saw calls for Anu to be benched and quite a few negative comments towards Rich Rod. That stuff is silly. We played a competitive game tonight and we have plenty to look forward to even if we lose another game or two this season. The sky is not falling. Let the media do crappy media stuff.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

To channel Yogi Berra, we should've won this game we had no business winning.

Only RichRod could've gotten the team that close. Then...shank.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Agreed. Won't lie, this one stings. But they played the full 60, no Wilson, no Worthy, no Bundage, lost TJG, lost McKnight, and they were two passes that just missed to Jones from getting two more TDs. They were up against NFL caliber lines on both sides of the ball. (Missing Bundage and Worthy really hurts there.) If anyone had told us the Cats would be 5-1 at this point of the season and tied for first in the south, we'd all have taken it. Still a ton to play for. And this team is still ahead of schedule.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

I don't care about all the excuses and BS.....................USC had 55 scholies players and we had 85.
We deserve nothing as a team or a school.

We had our chance, **** it!
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

guess which one of these represents the wildcats:
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

azpenguin wrote:
Agreed. Won't lie, this one stings. But they played the full 60, no Wilson, no Worthy, no Bundage, lost TJG, lost McKnight, and they were two passes that just missed to Jones from getting two more TDs. They were up against NFL caliber lines on both sides of the ball. (Missing Bundage and Worthy really hurts there.) If anyone had told us the Cats would be 5-1 at this point of the season and tied for first in the south, we'd all have taken it. Still a ton to play for. And this team is still ahead of schedule.
Penguin, not to be the contrarian here, but you know SC was down to 50 scholarship players and lost both of its starting corners for most of the second half, right?

We can't fawn over how many weapons we think this team has then pull the injury card after basically three guys, a qb, a wr and a rb, beat us.

Talent's just recruiting buzz if it doesn't execute in games like these. And our weapons were misfiring all night.
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

I want to agree but what were we supposed to do without nick wilson and jones-geigsby? And no call on the helmet to helmet that knocked him out?

Regardless we are still in the running in the south and control our own destiny.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Three guys didn't beat the Cats. You lose two key linemen and then go up against monster lines like that, it's a problem.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

catgrad97 wrote:
azpenguin wrote:
Penguin, not to be the contrarian here, but you know SC was down to 50 scholarship players and lost both of its starting corners for most of the second half, right?

We can't fawn over how many weapons we think this team has then pull the injury card after basically three guys, a qb, a wr and a rb, beat us.

Talent's just recruiting buzz if it doesn't execute in games like these. And our weapons were misfiring all night.
And two giant and very effective lines. We got beat in the trenches. Kessler had a pocket the size of an olympic swimming pool and hours to swim in it all night. Then on the other side they stuffed the run between the tackles consistently (not sure why we only went outside a time or two), and they pressured Anu plenty. Grown ass men.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

splitsecond wrote:I want to agree but what were we supposed to do without nick wilson and jones-geigsby? And no call on the helmet to helmet that knocked him out?
That tackle by Williams was clean. Hard, but clean, sorry. Besides, we got calls all night.

Jared Baker showed us just what Arizona could do outside the tackles without Wilson or TJG. And yet Arizona drove right into SC's strengths by reverting to runs up the middle and passes outside instead of the other way around.

What were we supposed to do? Pick that thin SC d apart is what.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

BearDown89 wrote:
catgrad97 wrote:
azpenguin wrote:

And two giant and very effective lines. We got beat in the trenches. Kessler had a pocket the size of an olympic swimming pool and hours to swim in it all night. Then on the other side they stuffed the run between the tackles consistently (not sure why we only went outside a time or two), and they pressured Anu plenty. Grown ass men.
And we let them beat us. You're right, we didn't go outside, and it cost us all night.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Rich Rod to Florida
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

I think you guys are/were crazy if you thought this was our year. Arizona does not have the defensive personnel to be a top team. The offense and luck can only take you so far and then the law of averages catches up. Even so with Arizona being over matched on both sides of the line, Arizona had a chance to win this game. They have a ton of heart and fight and that's why they have been doing so well. When is the last time we saw that before RR? The Stoops team that went to the Las Vegas Bowl and that was it.

I was at the game and the crowd was into it and didn't leave. Everything seemed to line up for a miracle but it didn't happen. I am not sure that Arizona beats UCLA or ASU. Arizona could also lose to WSU and Utah. But this offense is good and it will get better when Solomon gets better and can play consistently for most of a game. I'm pretty sure that RR will get his defensive depth within a year or two. That's when Arizona will be a terror. Right now it is still bandages and staples. But there was a lot to be excited about too.
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

SportsMind wrote:

Really good post. That was no dud... It was incredibly disappointing, but not embarrassing. Anyone who was falling for the fool's gold that our #10 ranking represented after one great win vs Oregon deserves to feel like an idiot.

Some of the comments made in the last week were ridiculous... And all the crowing about how Rich Rod had already turned the corner and would be at the top of every coaching wish list this offseason - was beyond premature. I feel sorry for a lot of WAG's in WildcatLand.

The coaches did an excellent job of keeping this team focused... They did not appear to come out as impressed with our ranking as many of our delusional die-hards.

We made too many mistakes to win, and got the result we deserved. We were the better team, despite some areas in which we were outclassed - and that is a bright spot in the week after such a huge win. But we cannot miss 3 FG's and fumble inside the opponents' 10 and expect to win - in that way this felt like a "typical" Arizona FB team. Nick Wilson plays and we likely win despite all those gaffes. I'd say that's progress, and we've got a team that never gives up - which is a source of tremendous pride for me.

Our defense is highly suspect against a power running game, and has other issues as well. Any Solomon is good and will get better, but he's no Johnny Football or Famous Jameis. I hope we learned NOT to rest our chances on the leg of a walk-on kicker when we have a chance to win it without having to rely on him. Lesson learned - I hope. Finally, we have to stop putting ourselves in a position where we have to rely in last second heroics,

This is not a great team, and those who thought we suddenly were were delusional. But we have a chance to be a very good team... And a very good team will win the Southern Division, because there are no "great" ones this season.

Rich Rod is doing a terrific job, even if he is not perfect, (and sorry to the true believers, but he's not perfect). This team has a chance to win 10 games by the end of the post-season, and anyone who would not have been thrilled with that result at season start needs to have their head examined. Let's see what they actually deliver.

I am thrilled with our coach and proud of this team - even if I am incredibly disappointed in them tonight,
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

You guys need to chill tf out. We would all be ecstatic if you were told we were gonna be 5-1 in August
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

So, is this the new "Fuck Hope" thread where Drunk JMJ beaddledly opines over a devestating loss at 3 in the morning, mere hours before church?

Not near drunk thanks to needing to drive 5 hours starting in 5 hours, but clearly my lack of sleep indicates the loss has hit me hard. I know I seldom post during game threads, but that's because I'm a wreck during games... Edge of your seat type. My head is going 1000 mph and my emotions are the tracks for the rollercoaster. I almost never post after bad losses immediately for fear I'm still not thinking straight.

Fuck this hurts. From redzone fumble to all the kicking misses, Arizona needed one break. One. Just and only one. And, I feel, they had already spent them all in previous games. From UTSA final drive, to Hail Mary vs. Cal, to last week's fortunes at Oregon, to even the onside kick this game.

I know it's foolishness to think a team gets a fixed amount of breaks in a season.

My point is they seemed to be waiting for a break to happen, rather than making it happen. It's a 36-yd FG. That's one you need to make every chance you get. So kick it true.

Until Arizona starts dictating its own fate rather than relying on good fortune to guide, they'll always have these up and downs.

Team is so young. Maybe this rallies them? Maybe it destroys them?

But I will end this rambling sanity with my gut feeling headed into the game in true Drunk JMJ fashion:

Fuck Expectations!

Seriously? Mother fuckers! They always suck! I honestly thought this game was ours. It's at home vs. a team you should beat! Surely the burdon of expectations won't chip away at my sanity, leading to a meandering 3:30 am rant? Right? Right? Fuck...
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

catgrad97 wrote:
splitsecond wrote:I want to agree but what were we supposed to do without nick wilson and jones-geigsby? And no call on the helmet to helmet that knocked him out?
That tackle by Williams was clean. Hard, but clean, sorry. Besides, we got calls all night.

Jared Baker showed us just what Arizona could do outside the tackles without Wilson or TJG. And yet Arizona drove right into SC's strengths by reverting to runs up the middle and passes outside instead of the other way around.

What were we supposed to do? Pick that thin SC d apart is what.
Exactly CG97. Which is why this loss in on RR.
cpt

Post by cpt »

Fair or unfair, Casey Skowdon just got a middle name for me. Think Bucky Dent.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Gladiator Cat wrote:I don't care about all the excuses and BS.....................USC had 55 scholies players and we had 85.
We deserve nothing as a team or a school.

We had our chance, **** it!
God I fucking hate people like you! Okay I'm done carry on!
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Merkin wrote:
Chicat wrote:I really feel stupid. I thought this team was different.

Same old Arizona...

I don't feel stupid, knew it was coming, but I would really wish I was stupid.
This is how it is for me, too. I tried to be stupid. On paper I predicted an Arizona win, but I learned so long ago not to feel it, and it was really just a gesture of solidarity. I'm hardly disappointed. Until that corner really is turned, I'll still follow Arizona football from the surface. I mean, how many USC fans really feel Trojan basketball running through their veins, and collapse in disappointment every time there's a setback following cause for hope? My religion is Arizona basketball, and all I really hope for with football is to beat ASU, which year after year really has been just a repeated disappointment.