93 Days Coach Marcel Yates

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azgreg

Re: 93 Days Coach Marcel Yates

Post by azgreg »

whatisee wrote:after thew past couple performances the defense has moved up to #83 in the country. while not good the D is trending in the right direction. This is year 3 for Yates correct?

Stoops former D at OK is ranked #80.
Compared to the last number of years it's Alabama like.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Nevermind...fire him.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

There's no way he's retained for next year, is there?
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Yates can’t be back next year. Just can’t.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

It's a gots to go situation
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

Should have left his ass in Pullman.
prh

Post by prh »

Let's recap here:

7 quarters of bringing pressure vs Oregon and asu: 84-36

5 quarters bringing no pressure vs WSU and asu: 89-28

Should have been fired 6 days ago. HAS to be fired tomorrow
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

WildcatStunner wrote:Should have left his ass in Pullman.

Yates nothing. It was Mazzone that went in the bag in the fourth quarter and took the air out of our offense. Fire him.
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

tgrumpy2 wrote:

Yates nothing. It was Mazzone that went in the bag in the fourth quarter and took the air out of our offense. Fire him.
I am okay with that.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

tgrumpy2 wrote:

No chance. This is on Yates. Anybody could see Wilkins was not doing well when pressured. Yates only rushed 3 on every passing down in the 4th quarter. The prevent prevented us from winning.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
prh

Post by prh »

Yates literally rushed 1 guy on their first TD drive in the 4th. Absolutely inexcusable.

And this is the guy the players wanted to keep.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Carcassdragger wrote:
tgrumpy2 wrote:

No chance. This is on Yates. Anybody could see Wilkins was not doing well when pressured. Yates only rushed 3 on every passing down in the 4th quarter. The prevent prevented us from winning.

Last 3 plays of the 3rd quarter too if I remember right.

Both Yates and Mazzone need to go.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

ASU can't believe they played and beat a dumber and more poorly coached team than they are.

It's so mystifying Herm want's to do a B-rated off-take of Mission Impossible except this time it will be called Dumber Impossible, staring the Arizona coaching staff and football team.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

has yates been fired yet?
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

PieceOfMeat wrote:has yates been fired yet?
After that shit show on Saturday, I only come back to the football board because I hope to see just that.
blackjacker

Post by blackjacker »

There better be an announcement this week, if not today.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Heeke was seen walking with Sumlin after the game. I imagine it came up in conversation.

But Sumlin no doubt made the same excuses he did in the post game presser, it wasn't the prevent offense/defense that lost the game but the Tate interception and JJ fumble. I really do like Sumlin a lot, but when alludes to saying that he would do the exact same thing over again, maybe it's time to realize that he is just as stubborn as RichRod.

UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Hasn't the defense improved every year under Yates? Can someone find those stats? I mean, he started with nothing here.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

UALoco wrote:Hasn't the defense improved every year under Yates? Can someone find those stats? I mean, he started with nothing here.
If you go by the sports reference "Team Defense" which is ordered by points per game given up (if you switch it to yards we have pretty much the same ranking):

2016: 117 out of 128 https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/ye ... fense.html
2017: 109 out of 130 https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/ye ... fense.html
2018: 98 out of 130 https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/ye ... fense.html

So we "improved" by about 10 spots per year. Maybe we can expect a top 50 defense in 5 years.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

UALoco wrote:Hasn't the defense improved every year under Yates? Can someone find those stats? I mean, he started with nothing here.
I'm a pretty big proponent of the idea that this team has a serious issue (lack of) with depth of talent, and that it will take at least 4 years for Sumlin to make a serious dent in that (if he's able to at all) and yet, yates still has to go.

When you go away from what has worked and instead rush 3 guys and sit back in a soft zone that gets picked apart and demolished drive after drive after drive in an inexorable (and far too predictable) manner then you've given up as a coach. The D had some success in the ASsU game, and then we went into "prevent" mode and didn't prevent a damn thing. It was embarassing and revealing in that it showed a coach couldn't, after an ENTIRE SEASON, call 1 complete game of good defense that put his limited personnel in the best position to win.

Did we have plenty of mistakes coaches can't control? Sure. Failing to pick up a fumble because our guys figured it was a pass, for example, was one glaring mistake. This doesn't change the fact that the D was not put in the best position to help win the game.

Rushing 3 against ASsU in our most important game of the season against our most hated rival just shows a complete ineptitude that additional seasons of opportunity at coaching won't fix.

He's got to go.

ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Ugh, forgot about the pass/fumble play. Thanks for reminding me. :roll:
prh

Post by prh »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
I'm a pretty big proponent of the idea that this team has a serious issue (lack of) with depth of talent, and that it will take at least 4 years for Sumlin to make a serious dent in that (if he's able to at all) and yet, yates still has to go.

When you go away from what has worked and instead rush 3 guys and sit back in a soft zone that gets picked apart and demolished drive after drive after drive in an inexorable (and far too predictable) manner then you've given up as a coach. The D had some success in the ASsU game, and then we went into "prevent" mode and didn't prevent a damn thing. It was embarassing and revealing in that it showed a coach couldn't, after an ENTIRE SEASON, call 1 complete game of good defense that put his limited personnel in the best position to win.

Did we have plenty of mistakes coaches can't control? Sure. Failing to pick up a fumble because our guys figured it was a pass, for example, was one glaring mistake. This doesn't change the fact that the D was not put in the best position to help win the game.

Rushing 3 against ASsU in our most important game of the season against our most hated rival just shows a complete ineptitude that additional seasons of opportunity at coaching won't fix.

He's got to go.
This is the biggest issue. I don't care about the lack of talent. We found something that worked, sufficiently well, for our team. We found it during the OREGON game actually. Then we abandoned it for WSU with a horrible excuse. Then we tried it for asu, found success, and then abandoned it AGAIN.

It's one thing if we don't have the personnel to make anything work at all. If we got torched no matter what, ok then we need bodies. But we found a solution and then went back to the thing that killed us.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

prh wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:

He's got to go.
This is the biggest issue. I don't care about the lack of talent. We found something that worked, sufficiently well, for our team. We found it during the OREGON game actually. Then we abandoned it for WSU with a horrible excuse. Then we tried it for asu, found success, and then abandoned it AGAIN.

It's one thing if we don't have the personnel to make anything work at all. If we got torched no matter what, ok then we need bodies. But we found a solution and then went back to the thing that killed us.
Yep

tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
prh wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:

He's got to go.

Yep
I'm not a really big Marcel Yates fan but against ASU both offense and defense went in the bag at about the same time. Looks to me like the decision to do that came from higher up. Even if it didn't, higher up is on the field watching the nonsense and has the final say.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Sigh.

AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

So the lesson learned is... change nothing.

Fuck this "new era". The sooner it's over the better.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote:Sigh.

maybe if there was more money to buy him out................................
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Used to be non-head coaches were only given one year contracts. Not only does it benefit the school, it benefits the coach too, since they are always looking for a better position.

Think Canales under Stoops was the first UA coordinator to receive a 2 year contract, but that could be way off.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I guess we just complain about everything all the time now

"We need to let coordinators get longer term deals to give them security." Fast Forward a couple years. "Now we need only one year deals for coordinators"

Again if there was more money maybe Yates could have been bought out. Oh well it isnt his fault completely so lets roll for 2019
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I just can't see how that decision is a positive. Just look at the last couple of games. He had two weeks to prepare for Wazzu and he had game film of how Cal held Wazzu to 19 points. We give up 55 in the first half and the following week, a great coaching staff, game plans and holds Wazzu to under 20. Yates is one lucky dude
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

This is the clearest signal yet that there is no desire for winning football in this Arizona program.

Looks like I'll be busy fall Saturday nights through 2020, at least. Time I got into backing some real winners, anyway...like my son's youth sports teams.

But yeah, f- Arizona football for doing this. It deserves to suck forever. I'm out.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

catgrad97 wrote:This is the clearest signal yet that there is no desire for winning football in this Arizona program.

Looks like I'll be busy fall Saturday nights through 2020, at least. Time I got into backing some real winners, anyway...like my son's youth sports teams.

But yeah, f- Arizona football for doing this. It deserves to suck forever. I'm out.
Hard to buy out a coach when there is no money because no fans show up...................................
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Retreads are gonna retread. Collect that paycheck Kevin.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Yup, FANS caused a 19pt collapse and loss to the devils.

Yup FANS caused trash game and strategy prep.

da FANS!!!!!
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CalStateTempe wrote:Yup, FANS caused a 19pt collapse and loss to the devils.

Yup FANS caused trash game and strategy prep.

da FANS!!!!!
Fans staying home and not donating are the reason why the AD cannot buyout Yates.

If you dont want to go to the game thats fine, just realize this is the cost
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Fine by me. I'm done with UA football for the foreseeable future.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
blackjacker

Post by blackjacker »

Sumlin just created a bunch more bad fans. Avg attendance in the 30s next year?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Was escapegoat.com taken?
Basketcats

Post by Basketcats »

D looks horrible. It is extremely frustrating (as a fan) to see every little thing the D is not doing and not be able to voice that to the coaching staff. With that said, Yates has had his shot at playing D coordinator. He needs to be let go ASAP but I know this is not going to happen. Bringing in a new coordinator 3 or 4 games into a season will ensure that the remainder of the season is an absolute train wreck. This D lacks discipline and Yates can't get them to respond the way they should. I am not sure if it is his coaching style or if he just lacks the ability to coach at all. All I know is that if he doesn't start coaching as if his job is on the line, a change will be made in the off season. Whether it is just Yates or complete overhaul of the coaching staff doesn't matter. A change will be made. If not, my faith in the football program ever gaining a level of respectability again will disappear for good.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I was hoping when this thread was bumped he was fired.

Sumlin should have never kept on Yates after his disastrous years with RichRod. I don't even think Yates is a good position coach.

You never let the players decide your coaching staff.

Let Cecil finish out the season as interim DC with a clear understanding he would not be in the mix to be DC in 2020. Use Cecil's popularity to generate some excitement into the program.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

If he is going to get canned during the season, this would be the week I think. If Tech rolls up a bunch and we lose, we have an off week to bring in a Chuck Cecil and all we have to pay is the balance of this years contract to Yates and 9 more weeks of salary to Cecil.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

The media has turned on Marcel and that's kind of the kiss of death. If his defense gets rolled over on this week he may be fired or at the very least demoted. If not Chuck Cecil as interim DC there are two other position coaches on that team with Coordinator experience.
Basketcats

Post by Basketcats »

It is sad to think that it took nearly 4 years and a bunch fan criticism to finally get the defense to play defense for a game. Where the hell was this last year...where was it at the beginning of this season. I just can't make myself believe that they turned a corner and everything is good on D now. I am still on the fire Yates bandwagon until the D can prove that the TTU game wasn't a fluke and they have come up with something that actually works. My fear is that the TTU game was an anomaly. Now the "new look" D is on film and everyone will be looking at it and finding the weaknesses. So until it stands up against more than one opponent....Yates should tread lightly imo.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Basketcats wrote:It is sad to think that it took nearly 4 years and a bunch fan criticism to finally get the defense to play defense for a game. Where the hell was this last year...where was it at the beginning of this season. I just can't make myself believe that they turned a corner and everything is good on D now. I am still on the fire Yates bandwagon until the D can prove that the TTU game wasn't a fluke and they have come up with something that actually works. My fear is that the TTU game was an anomaly. Now the "new look" D is on film and everyone will be looking at it and finding the weaknesses. So until it stands up against more than one opponent....Yates should tread lightly imo.
Yes the D needs to do that another 5-6 times at least this season for me to think we're on the right track
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

While I agree we need to withhold judgment, if the D holds opponents to 14 points 5 or 6 more times this season, they’d be Desert Swarm level.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Yea, I am not sold on how good Texas Tech is other to say they are better than NAU. I think they will struggle to win 2 conference games in the Big 12, especially now that Bowman is out.

That said I did like how prepared we were and the adjustments we made in game so kudo's to Yates and staff. Hoping we can see that performance on the road against CU
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

D did a stand up job, but Bowman was rather pedestrian and come to find out now he was hurt.

Watching him throw, with the announcers calling him "one of the most accurate passers in CFB" and seeing him miss wide open targets, made me think of early last basketball season with Alex Barcello "being the best 3 point shooter on the team".

But good pressure by the D, in rushing only 3 or 4, and the LBs and DBs seemed to always be in the right spot for once.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

Have to give the defense credit for a good game but Yates is still done in my opinion. His defense has been bad for 4 years, a few decent games changes nothing. Contract is up at the end of the year and I sure hope he isn't brought back.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:While I agree we need to withhold judgment, if the D holds opponents to 14 points 5 or 6 more times this season, they’d be Desert Swarm level.
Not even close. That could still mean we have 6 games giving up 40+.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.