Official Anu Solomon Appreciation Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azpenguin

Re: Official Anu Solomon Appreciation Thread

Post by azpenguin »

Machina wrote:First off, I am not trying to dump on this guy in any way, I love this kid's heart and how he has thrown the ball this year. But does anyone else seem to notice that Anu often times makes the wrong read on the read option? I can think of a few times each game (specifically most recently the 2pt conversion vs USC) that he hands the ball off for a loss or very short gain while he could run the ball for a lot of yardage.

I guess it is unfair to compare him to BJ Denker, who always seemed to make the right read on the read option.
You'd swear he was a freshman or something.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Did I just see someone say Denker made all the right reads?

That's hilarious.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Machina wrote:First off, I am not trying to dump on this guy in any way, I love this kid's heart and how he has thrown the ball this year. But does anyone else seem to notice that Anu often times makes the wrong read on the read option? I can think of a few times each game (specifically most recently the 2pt conversion vs USC) that he hands the ball off for a loss or very short gain while he could run the ball for a lot of yardage.

I guess it is unfair to compare him to BJ Denker, who always seemed to make the right read on the read option.

Bear Down Arizona and Bear Down Anu. Beat the Cougars.
I agree, especially regarding the 2-point conversion the other night. I saw the same thing. You'll be reminded, however, as I was, that he is only a RS Frosh. Which is fair enough. It wasn't a critique, just an observation. Given his obvious football talents and head for the game, I'm confident he'll get better at it and be more successful with time.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

azpenguin wrote:

You'd swear he was a freshman or something.
See. I told you.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat wrote:Did I just see someone say Denker made all the right reads?

That's hilarious.

They were probably similar in misreads, both being the second year of the program first year starting, but Denker had the wheels to make things happen which Anu doesn't.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I also think running the option has to be ingrained in the DNA of a QB. If he is not comfortable he will hand it off. I think that is where BJ and ANU differ. BJ loved to tuck and tote, Anu not so much

Anu has had some nice scrambles but he has made some awful slides and just looks bad near contact. Even when he tucks he often has thrown the safety flat route to his receiver which because of its lateness in that decision has created some ineligible lineman downfield penalies.

USC gave zero respect to him running and I think it did hurt us between the tackles. May impact us more down the road at times as well
Last edited by azcat49 on Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Anu Solomon is just going to get better. In fact, stellar as long as he remains healthy. He'll end holding most Arizona (multiple P12) QB school records, make PAC12 1st/2nd/3rd team over next couple of years. Shot at being an All-American.

He'll get some Heisman chatter only if Arizona can get to 10 wins or more by the time he is a senior. (OPINION).

This year he has a shot at breaking meaningful Marcus Mariota's freshman PAC12 records for:
TD passes (32). Solomon has 15 mid-way
Completion % (68.5). Solomon sitting at 62.6%

Solomon matching up pretty well with Mariota's Freshman year stats. Especially passing. Rushing not as good. Start of season, Mariota total offense for career at 300 yds per game. Mariota freshman year total yds was at 264. Solomon mid-way freshman yr at 383 yds per game.

Freshman Stats:
Mariota
Pass Att 230
Pass Cmp 336
Passing Yds 2667
INTs 6
Rating 163.2
Rush Att 106
Rush Yds 752

Solomon mid-way season
Pass Att 174
Pass Cmp 278
Passing Yds 2136
INTs 4
Rating 142.1
Rush Att 55
Rush Yds 160
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

If anyone has the time I would love to see the stats for past QB's first year and compared to Anu, especially win vs loss record. Scott, Foles, Denker, Tui.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Salty

Post by Salty »

Manage expectations.

QBs don't always improve with time. DCs can develop trends and use film to their advantage.
Machina

Post by Machina »

Salty wrote:Manage expectations.

QBs don't always improve with time. DCs can develop trends and use film to their advantage.
Curious who you can think of who did not improve over time that was not due to injuries.
Salty

Post by Salty »

Machina wrote:

Curious who you can think of who did not improve over time that was not due to injuries.
Some QBs start off hot and then either tapper out or simply start to regress.

Kevin Hogan comes to mind. Jameis Winston isn't playing as well.

Anu makes a lot of freshman mistakes. I am confident that he will fix those mistakes with time. He needs to learn how avoid a sack better.

But there are things that he may never overcome, such as long pass accuracy.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Good video breakdown of the screen and go at Bleacher Report. Anu ran this to perfection in the spring game to a wide open receiver. We ran a rollout variation against UNLV.

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Machina wrote:

Some of us old-timers remember Alfred Jenkins, who never improved much over his four years.

Year School Conf Class Pos G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
1983 Arizona Pac-10 QB 4 7 12 58.3 154 12.8 14.5 1 0 193.6
1984 Arizona Pac-10 QB 11 156 312 50.0 2202 7.1 5.3 11 17 110.0
1985 Arizona Pac-10 QB 11 150 278 54.0 1767 6.4 5.2 7 10 108.5
1986 Arizona Pac-10 QB 11 118 232 50.9 1573 6.8 5.9 10 9 114.3
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Machina wrote:

Ortege Jenkins. I believe he set a P12 freshman record for passing TD's. I watched him outplay Ryan Leaf that frosh season in Pullman. And then he devolved...

I don't expect that to happen with Anu, but it does happen sometimes.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Alfred Jenkins was drafted by the NFL, although not as a QB. Bruce Connor was the only UA QB drafted as a QB in PAC-10 era.

Some blame Homer Smith for trying to "fix" Ortege's motion and such.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Merkin wrote:Alfred Jenkins was drafted by the NFL, although not as a QB. Bruce Connor was the only UA QB drafted as a QB in PAC-10 era.

Some blame Homer Smith for trying to "fix" Ortege's motion and such.
John Conner
-JB
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Quarterbacks do sometimes regress... but that certainly isn't the pattern under RichRod.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Did someone say John Conner?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Salty wrote:
Machina wrote:

Some QBs start off hot and then either tapper out or simply start to regress.

Kevin Hogan comes to mind. Jameis Winston isn't playing as well.

Anu makes a lot of freshman mistakes. I am confident that he will fix those mistakes with time. He needs to learn how avoid a sack better.

But there are things that he may never overcome, such as long pass accuracy.
Scheer has your back Salty:
-JB
SCCat

Post by SCCat »

Furd's offense right now is pretty miserable. UCLA had 27 first half points at ASU; it's going to be interesting to see how many Furd has at the half.
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

SCCat wrote:Furd's offense right now is pretty miserable. UCLA had 27 first half points at ASU; it's going to be interesting to see how many Furd has at the half.
The answer is "Zero".
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

After 7 games (most teams have played 8 games):

National Rankings and Conference Rankings
Y/g - 5th and 3rd
ATT/G - 4th and 3rd
Ptc - 31st and 7th
Rating- 38th and 6th
Pass Tds- 13th and 5th

Some good stats for a red shirt freshman.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

And refuses to turn it over on our side of the field. Talk about a guy who understands the value of each possesion
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

Anu has exceeded my wildest expectations as a first year QB. The kid just has it at the college level.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

OSUCat wrote:After 7 games (most teams have played 8 games):

National Rankings and Conference Rankings
Y/g - 5th and 3rd
ATT/G - 4th and 3rd
Ptc - 31st and 7th
Rating- 38th and 6th
Pass Tds- 13th and 5th

Some good stats for a red shirt freshman.

Only 6th in the PAC for rating? That's some conference.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Merkin wrote: Only 6th in the PAC for rating? That's some conference.
Oregon 1st, cal 8, usc 9, UCLA 13, asu (mike) 29.

So, ya that is some numbers to compete with. Maybe the top 4 will be gone this year.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Anu is number 2 in this week's PAC 12 Blog QB ranking:
2 Anu Solomon, Arizona
(Last Week's Ranking: NR)
Speaking of impressive touchdown-to-interception ratios, Solomon's isn't too shabby. The freshman has thrown for 20 scores while only being picked off four times this season, and his 26-for-38 passing, 294-yard, five-touchdown performance gave Arizona a 31-0 lead on the Palouse before gunslinger Connor Halliday could catch his breath (the Wildcats went on to win, 59-37). The days when the Rich Rodriguez's quarterback spot was a big question mark are way back in the rearview mirror. This Arizona team is locked and loaded at the position in its pursuit of the Pac-12 South title.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Arizona's Solomon stands out in QB-rich Pac-12

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/offe ... lomon.html
LOS ANGELES – It was sold as the “League of Extraordinary Quarterbacks,” a conference loaded with so many talented signal-callers that every week was going to be an aerial highlights show.

The Pac-12 was so deep in quarterbacks that some were destined to get lost in the crowd. Few noticed Arizona redshirt freshman Anu Solomon then, after he’d fought a four-man battle in camp to win a job that had been wide open most of the way.

Well, they’re noticing now. In a league brimming with quarterback talent, Solomon already has risen toward the top. He ranks fifth in the nation in passing yards per game (347) and 13th in touchdowns (20). He’s thrown just four interceptions, fewer than Oregon State’s Sean Mannion and Stanford’s Kevin Hogan and the same amount as UCLA’s Brett Hundley and Cal’s Jared Goff.

But it’s what Solomon does to unlock the secret powers of Rich Rodriguez’s spread offense that makes him and 14th-ranked Arizona (6-1 overall, 3-1 Pac-12) so dangerous. In Matt Scott and B.J. Denker – Rodriguez’s first two quarterbacks in Tucson – the third-year Wildcats coach had one (Denker) who couldn’t stretch the field enough and one (Scott) who couldn’t keep defenses honest because he wasn’t mobile enough.

Solomon, with his innate ability to throw on the run and an arm capable of making most throws, gives Rodriguez’s offense so many options that no one has been able to stop it. Arizona ranks fifth in the nation in total offense and only once this season (in a 28-26 loss to USC) has a team managed to hold the Wildcats to fewer than 5 yards per play.

“His mobility and ability to throw the ball on the run, that makes that offense go,” UCLA coach Jim Mora said of Solomon. “The way Rich Rod has always designed his offenses is for a quarterback that can put your defense in conflict. This guy can do it.”

No. 25 UCLA (6-2, 3-2) is focused first on stopping the run Saturday, hoping that slows Arizona’s tempo and forces Solomon to make plays with his arm. But challenging one of the conference’s fastest-rising quarterbacks is a dangerous proposition.

“He’s very smart for how young he is,” defensive tackle Eddie Vanderdoes said. “He’s very, very calm. You don’t see him get rattled back there.”

Added defensive coordinator Jeff Ulbrich, “It’s amazing to see his maturity and his understanding of the offense. The whole quarterback run-pass option goes to another level with this guy.”
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

No. 25 UCLA (6-2, 3-2) is focused first on stopping the run Saturday

Why would UCLA give away their game plan?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

The passes where he throws it on the run right before he gets to the line of scrimmage are simply deadly. (As ESPN put it, attachment plays.) It's a nightmare for defenses because he does run, but if you bring a guy off of coverage to come attack him, he's liable to hit the guy you just left uncovered.

He's good now. I think the Pac-12 is dead scared of what he'll be a year or two from now.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

I'd appreciate it if Anu could make his throws a little more catchable. 1 out of every 3, 4, or 5 throws being on target just isn't going to cut it. Especially on a night like last night. He also needs to get better with the read on handoffs into run blitzes. Really looked like a first year starter out there last night.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Puerco

Post by Puerco »

How's the Twitterverse treating him? Any more embarrassment like we had with Skowron?
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Throws were off, the line was not playing well at all, passes dropped, untimely penalties (the OPI against Grant was a game changer)... Solomon didn't play well but no one else on offense did either. Part of the learning curve.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Arizona, Anu Solomon look to get back in sync

http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_/id ... ck-in-sync
This is unsure footing for Arizona quarterback Anu Solomon. The redshirt freshman is dealing with something he's never encountered: multiple losses.

"I'm taking it personally," Solomon said. "It's the first time in one season that I've ever lost twice. I know it gets harder from here ... but especially Saturday night, I was horrible. I have to put my team in a better situation."

The "horrible" play he's referring to was his 18-of-48 performance for 175 yards in a 17-7 loss to UCLA, where Solomon threw one touchdown and one interception. It was by far the worst statistical performance of his young collegiate career, where he completed just 37 percent of his passes and ended the game with a QBR of 22.9.

Anu Solomon is trying to get the Wildcats' offense back to where they were at the beginning of the season. Quarterbacks get most of the praise when things go right and most of the criticism when things go wrong. It's understood that it comes with the gig. Arizona coach Rich Rodriguez, however -- a man known to be tough on his quarterbacks --praised Solomon's play and composure through these growing pains.

"I really thought he's played pretty well all year," Rodriguez said. "Last game wasn't our best game. We had more drops in that game than we've had all season. We had a couple breakdowns in protection we haven't had before. There were a multitude of reasons. I'm really proud of the way he's competed. I think as a redshirt freshman he's played really well and he understand the system.

"Every week is going to be a new experience because he's a first-time starter. But I've been proud of how he's played and really thought for a redshirt freshman he's done outstanding."

After a scorching 5-0 start, which included a 31-24 road win over No. 2 Oregon that catapulted the Wildcats into the top 10, Arizona has dropped two of three. Solomon, too, has cooled in the last three games.

During Arizona's first five wins, Solomon was completing 63 percent of his throws for an average of 348.2 yards per game. Over the past three, those numbers have dropped to completing 55 percent of his throws and averaging 288 passing yards per game.

Per ESPN Stats & Information, Solomon was under duress on a career-high 30-percent of his drop backs against the Bruins. And when he was pressured, he was 0-for-8 with an interception and three sacks.

And yet despite all of that, Rodriguez said he never saw his quarterback get too rattled.

"I want him to play with control and control only what he can control," Rodriguez said. "… We pressed probably a little bit. We got to the point where we were pressing and not playing within ourselves. But I was really pleased with Anu's attitude the whole game."

So it's right back to work for the guy who's not used to losing. His focus isn't on the dropped passes or the busted protections. He's simply looking for ways to correct the problems.

"We were out of tune," Solomon said. "Me and the wide receivers weren't on the same page. We weren't clicking like we usually do. We need to put more emphasis on focusing on the little things and that will lead to better execution.

"As the season goes on, it's still a learning process with all of the defensive schemes and coverage's and fronts they are throwing at us. Even losing is a learning experience for me."

Arizona will look to get right this weekend with a visit from Colorado -- the only team left in the Pac-12 without a conference win. The Wildcats average 36.4 points per game and the Buffs surrender 38.7 points per game. Seems like a perfect fit for an offense out of sync to find its rhythm.

"We can't think like that," Solomon said. "Colorado gave UCLA a better battle than we did. That's a good team."

It doesn't get any easier after that. The Wildcats close out the year with Washington, at Utah and then home to ASU in the Territorial Cup -- that's three of the top five defenses in the conference.

"Our goals haven't changed," Solomon said. "We're not backing away from anything. We just have to execute better and get everyone on the right page. Make sure the offensive linemen are ready and make sure the receivers know the ball is coming. Regardless of my age, I have to be that leader. As a quarterback, I have to be in tune with everyone and make sure we have chemistry."
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Gimino updating what makes Anu good.
He is the national leader among freshmen in attempts (239), completions (402), yards (2,816), yards per game (312.9) and touchdowns (25). He has four games with at least four touchdown passes. So, if nothing else, we know he's passed a lot, and usually pretty well.

"His awareness of the system right now as a redshirt freshman is at a high level," Rodriguez said. "The exciting part is that he'll keep getting better."

Some of those other freshmen might have more dynamic physical skills, but the best part of Solomon's game has been that he has used that awareness Rodriguez spoke of to be as mistake-free as you could hope for from a freshman quarterback.

When Solomon has been down, he hasn't been turnover-prone. He has thrown only five interceptions -- his 5-to-1 TD-to-INT ratio is one of the best in the nation -- and he has not fumbled. For a 7-2 team that has played so many close games, Solomon's contribution to a 59-3 edge in points off turnovers has been critical.

"I've played some freshmen or redshirt freshmen before, and he's as sharp or sharper at this point with understanding the system and scheme were going against as anyone I've coached," Rodriguez said.
Anu is now 3 TDs from tying Willie and Nick for the single season TD mark and is a big game away from setting the new Arizona record. If he sets a new record he will do it with a lot fewer yards passing and a lot less interceptions (but also a lower completion percentage). Here are the stats from Willie and Nick when they set their records (Attempts, completions, interceptions, yards, TDs, and completion %):

2007 Willie Tuitama 524 327 11 3,683 28 62.4
2011 Nick Foles 560 387 14 4,334 28 69.1
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Anu Solomon Rs. FRESHMAN

Has played nine collegiate games. Likely will play 4 more games to finish just his 1st season. Sampling of some of his stats and where they rank in Arizona school History.

Passing Yards, CAREER
1. 10,011 Nick Foles
2. 9,211 Willie Tuitama
3. 7,618 Tom Tunnicliffe
4. 6,016 Alfred Jenkins
5. 5,972 Keith Smith
6. 5,749 Jason Johnson
7. 5,723 Dan White
8. 5,424 Ortege Jenkins
9. 5,090 Bruce Hill
10. 4,921 Matt Scott
11. 3,305 Jim Krohn
12. 3,268 Bill Demory
13. 3,127 Marc Reed
14. 3,111 George Malauulu
--- 2,816 Anu Solomon

CAREER TD Passes
1. Nick Foles 67
Willie Tuitama 67
3. Tom Tunnicliffe 46
4. Bruce Hill 45
5. Dan White 43
6. Keith Smith 42
Ortege Jenkins 42
7. Jason Johnson 35
8. Matt Scott 33
9. Alfred Jenkins 30
10. Anu Solomon 25
11. Jim Krohn 24

Pass Yards, SEASON
1. 4,334 Nick Foles
2. 3,683 Willie Tuitama
3. 3,620 Matt Scott
4. 3,327 Jason Johnson
5. 3,191 Nick Foles
6. 3,088 Willie Tuitama
7. 2,816 Anu Solomon
8. 2,520 Tom Tunnicliffe
9. 2,516 B.J. Denker
10.2,486 Nick Foles

TD Passes SEASON
1. 28 Nick Foles 2011
28 Willie Tuitama 2007
3. 27 Matt Scott 2012
4. 25 Anu Solomon 2014
5. 23 Willie Tuitama 2008
6. 20 Nick Foles 2010
20 Marc Reed 1966
8. 19 Nick Foles 2009
19 Jason Johnson 2001
19 Ortege Jenkins 1997
11.18 Tom Tunnicliff e 1982
18 Bruce Hill 1974

Total Offense, SEASON
1. 4,231 Nick Foles
2. 4,126 Matt Scott
3. 3,520 Willie Tuitama
4. 3,465 B.J. Denker
5. 3,130 Anu Solomon
6. 3,078 Nick Foles
7. 2,968 Willie Tuitama
8. 2,954 Jason Johnson
9. 2,464 Tom Tunnicliffe
10.2,441 Tom Tunnicliffe
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

He'll probably set the record for most tds in a season at least
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

As I wrote months ago, anyone who starts at QB for RR 4 years will break all the Arizona records. It's not really going to be close once Anu's done. 25 TD's in his first 9 games? Truly ridiculous.

Go Cats!!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

He only has to stay one more season unless he has Ortege Jenkins regression, which I highly doubt. If he stops overthrowing receivers downfield he will be something special.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin wrote:He only has to stay one more season unless he has Ortege Jenkins regression, which I highly doubt. If he stops overthrowing receivers downfield he will be something special.
I agree. I think this kid is going to be really good.
Salty

Post by Salty »

Decision making is Anu's biggest weakness.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Salty wrote:Decision making is Anu's biggest weakness.
"I've played some freshmen or redshirt freshmen before, and he's as sharp or sharper at this point with understanding the system and scheme were going against as anyone I've coached," Rodriguez said.
I think I'll trust Coach Rod on Anu's decision making.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ANGCatFan wrote:
Yep. Denker and Matt Scott were seniors, and Solomon still misses some reads (as did they) but he can only get better. If you can beat out a senior Scroggins who has a much better arm and Jerrard Randall a junior with better legs than you know he is pretty good already.
Salty

Post by Salty »

ANGCatFan wrote:
He still has missed countless reads, made poor decisions, and simply not seen wide open receivers.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Yesterday in radio interview Rich Rod said the opposite regarding Solomon's decision making. You and Rich Rod seem to disagree on this.

Here's the podcast of interview. It all starts at the 21 minute mark

http://www.arizonasports.com/?sid=&nid=244&a=308532
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Salty wrote:
ANGCatFan wrote:
He still has missed countless reads, made poor decisions, and simply not seen wide open receivers.
And with his horrible decision making we are 7-2! Yeah I'll take the learning curve with Anu! All of those things are true and a very correctable moving forward! Would you rather have scroggins, brewer, Randle or any of the other 10 qbs on the roster?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Salty loves to post like he knows what he's talking about. It's part of his charm.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?