2014 season

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azgreg

Re: 2014 season

Post by azgreg »

For those who say the Cats can't win the Pac-12 this year because we barely beat x and barely y and should have lost to z, you can bite me. Many past Pac-12 champs have had close calls. 2013 Stanford lost twice and won 3 other games by a score or less. 2012 Stanford lost once and won 5 other games by a score or less. 2011 Oregon lost once. 2010 Oregon barely beat Cal. 2009 Oregon lost once and won 2 other games by a score or less. 2008 USC lost once and beat us by a score. You don't have to blow everybody out the win the conference. I'll take 8 other 1 point wins all from behind.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

Chicat wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:If we win-out, why wouldn't we get a shot at a playoff. Pre-game PAC-12 is a strong conference, Post-game its a down year? Horseshit.
The prevailing opinion is that there is 0 chance we win out . . . just like the prevailing opinion was that there was no way we would come out of Autzen with anything more than a moral victory.

Beat USC next week at home and people will start to believe . . . maybe.
Spot on. Just win baby!! I hope we win every game by a last second Hail Mary just to piss all the haters off.
ASUHATER! wrote:Last year after Oregon we were crushed by asu. 2 years ago we followed up the okie state win with 3 straight losses (after our scrimmage vs. Sc state).

No more letdown. No more wsu home losses. Beat usc and then we know special things can happen rather than our one token upset per year.
Why am I not surprised that you posted this? Of course you fail to mention that after the Ok State game we played @#3Oregon, lost by 3 at home to #18ntOSU then lost in OT @#18Stanford. Other than that you were spot on.

We beat Oregon then go on the road with Denker who didn't play well on the road all year long so I'm wondering why anybody would be surprised by that? Again, find me a game where Denker played bad and we still won? The Cal game would be my pick but other than that when he sucked we lost. That would be true for the Wazzu game as well.

We beat Oregon on the road TY so our next game is at home so go look up our home record the last 2 years under RR? While you're at it - go look up our home record as a home dog the last 2 years? That would be against Ok State in 2012, SC in 2012, and Oregon LY. Not only did we cover the spread but we won straight up as well. Again, other than that you nailed it.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Dennis Dodd at CBS on the Cats. Nothing really new, but it is positive national attention.
With it's latest win, Arizona jumped from unranked to 10th in AP. They're winning with 70 freshmen or sophomores. One of those, quarterback Anu Solomon, emerged from a four-man competition in August.

So, program changer Rich Rod?

"That's a good question," the Wildcats' third-year coach said. "I don't know, we've gotten one [of those Oregon wins] the last couple of years. This came early and gave us a lot of confidence. It should hopefully give us a boost in recruiting, make the program more relevant."

There never is an official ceremony declaring relevance. It is acquired -- like fine wine or hard-earned wealth -- over time. Example: Two-loss USC comes to town this week, still favored after a soul-crushing, last-second loss to Arizona's rival, Arizona State.

If Arizona has arrived, Las Vegas has yet to receive the memo.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

With such a young team I'd expect (no matter how the rest of the season progresses) to be in the mix from day one next season.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Replacing 3/5 of our OLine wont be easy. We have seen UCLA and Oregon struggle with inexperienced lines
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

azcat49 wrote:Replacing 3/5 of our OLine wont be easy. We have seen UCLA and Oregon struggle with inexperienced lines
I'm loving our OL recruiting and we have some guys who have been waiting their turns for awhile.
OT-Alsadek
OG-Hemilla
C-Wood
G-Bundage
OT- Tagoloa

Not a bad line at all. With Friekh, Poland, Waker, and Walton coming off the bench. Wouldn't be surprised to see some more guys from the 2015 class get in the mix.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azcat49 wrote:Replacing 3/5 of our OLine wont be easy. We have seen UCLA and Oregon struggle with inexperienced lines
That's been one of Stanford's offensive problems as well.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

catinfl wrote:
I'm loving our OL recruiting and we have some guys who have been waiting their turns for awhile.
OT-Alsadek
OG-Hemilla
C-Wood
G-Bundage
OT- Tagoloa

Not a bad line at all. With Friekh, Poland, Waker, and Walton coming off the bench. Wouldn't be surprised to see some more guys from the 2015 class get in the mix.

I'll say OT-Alsadek
OG-Maiava.. Think you just forgot he was a RSJr
C-Bundage.. have a feeling he may switch. He has the size and toughness for an NFL center but not big enough for an NFL G
OG- Friekh.. he already has some game time action and only will get stronger.
OT- Tagaloa.. given

For Alsadek and Friekh i could see it being opposite with Alsadek moving to OT and Friekh at G.. Either way we will be alright.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I do like how RR gets 8 guys ready so you have dome decent continuity and experience always returning. Gurrola might be the toughest to replace. That guy is nails and straight nasty
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

One thing this staff understands extremely well is the importance of the offensive line and they've been recruiting towards that point. There's a lot of depth at the position and these guys have been learning from a very good staff and a very good group of players. One of the big problems in the end of the Stoops years was that the line was always one injury away from collapsing. I don't get that feeling from this team because of the depth they've been developing up front. Experience is a legitimate concern, but this staff has done well getting guys ready.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

catinfl

Post by catinfl »

btfd16 wrote:
catinfl wrote:
OT-Alsadek
OG-Hemilla
C-Wood
G-Bundage
OT- Tagoloa

I'll say OT-Alsadek
OG-Maiava.. Think you just forgot he was a RSJr
C-Bundage.. have a feeling he may switch. He has the size and toughness for an NFL center but not big enough for an NFL G
OG- Friekh.. he already has some game time action and only will get stronger.
OT- Tagaloa.. given

For Alsadek and Friekh i could see it being opposite with Alsadek moving to OT and Friekh at G.. Either way we will be alright.
Totally forgot about Maiava he's a solid guy on the line and will start next year for sure. Friekh at guard doesn't make sense to me. That takes away from his strengths. He's a guy who has good feet and is fast. Guards are maulers and Friekh is strong, but not that strong. Friekh was always recruited as an OT and putting him at guard takes away from his strengths. I think he'll either move into a starting position at Tackle or back-up whoever is there. Wood and or Walton will take over at Center. No need to move Bundage he's probably our best run blocker and I'd keep him at guard. There's a couple of wildcards in Poland and Walker. Both have a TON of potential.
Saint James

Post by Saint James »

azgreg wrote:

Pardon me for being dense but who is this picture of?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Saint James wrote:Pardon me for being dense but who is this picture of?
Zach Werlinger
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

azgreg wrote:
Saint James wrote:Pardon me for being dense but who is this picture of?
Zach Werlinger
Saint James point exactly. HAHA
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Good ESPN blog story on the best Freshman offensive backfield in the country.
The youngest backfield tandem in the Pac-12 -- Solomon is a redshirt freshman and Wilson is a true freshman -- is also the most successful pairing in the league heading into Week 7. Wilson ranks second in the conference in rushing yards (574), rushing yards per game (114.8), yards per carry (6.4), and is tied for first in rushing touchdowns (6). Solomon commands an offense that ranks fourth in the league in scoring (39.8 PPG) and second in total offense (574 YPG). He is completing 63.6 percent of his throws with 14 touchdowns to four interceptions.

"We came into this season as underdogs, and we’ve worked hard for everything we’ve earned," Solomon said. "We want to be relevant. We want the nation to know what we’ve done during the summer and the offseason. We worked our tails off. We just have to keep doing what we do and stay humble."
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Lots of info to digest in this SB Nation story looking at the analytics of the rest of the season.
As things currently stand, the most likely Pac-12 title game will feature an Oregon-Arizona rematch.

But Stanford and UCLA have direct roles to play, and California, USC, and Arizona State are all within 1.5 projected wins of the top spot. It won't take many upsets -- if you can call any result in the conference (not involving Colorado) an upset at this point -- to quickly rearrange the hierarchy. But Stanford's own faltering has allowed Oregon to stay in the North's pole position (albeit with a projected 6-3 record), and Arizona's Hail Mary win over Cal and Thursday-night win in Eugene have given the Wildcats the early South edge.
My favorite chart

So, their data says we now have better than 80% chance of going 9-3 or better? Wow! Just Wow!

OK, time to stay focused. Beat USC and then we get our last bye to prepare for the second half of the season.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

A 6-Pac of questions for Week 7

http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_/id ... for-week-7
1. Which Pac-12 quarterback will have the most impressive game this weekend?

•Chantel Jennings/@ChantelJennings: I’m going with Arizona quarterback Anu Solomon. I’m guessing he looks even better than he did last Thursday against Oregon. USC’s defense has struggled mightily at different moments against the pass and run this year, and I think Solomon -- even though he’s just a redshirt freshman -- is going to be able to exploit the Trojans defense and put up some big numbers. But, the quarterback I’m most intrigued to see is Washington State quarterback Connor Halliday against the vaunted Stanford defense. Halliday threw for 184 yards, no touchdowns and one interception last season against the Cardinal. Interested to see how much further along this offense can be against this Stanford defense in just one year.
3. Which team ends Arizona’s undefeated streak?

•Jennings: Wazzu.

•Bonagura: Colorado ... and only because that would be the fitting game for it to happen.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Hodge podge of Arizona references from the ESPN blog.
1. Which Pac-12 quarterback will have the most impressive game this weekend?

Chantel Jennings/@ChantelJennings: I’m going with Arizona quarterback Anu Solomon. I’m guessing he looks even better than he did last Thursday against Oregon. USC’s defense has struggled mightily at different moments against the pass and run this year, and I think Solomon -- even though he’s just a redshirt freshman -- is going to be able to exploit the Trojans defense and put up some big numbers. But, the quarterback I’m most intrigued to see is Washington State quarterback Connor Halliday against the vaunted Stanford defense. Halliday threw for 184 yards, no touchdowns and one interception last season against the Cardinal. Interested to see how much further along this offense can be against this Stanford defense in just one year.

3. Which team ends Arizona’s undefeated streak?

Jennings: Wazzu.
Bonagura: Colorado ... and only because that would be the fitting game for it to happen.

4. Who has your midseason vote for coach of the year?

Jennings: This is tough. For me, it’s between Sonny Dykes and Rich Rodriguez. If we’re just talking about the midway point, Rodriguez is the only coach in the conference who has led his team to an undefeated season so far. He has the Wildcats ranked 10th in the country, the highest of any Pac-12 team. But I also think we can’t overlook the job that Dykes has done with Cal. To take a one-win team and have them within a Hail Mary of being undefeated right now? That’s just crazy. The Bears are without a doubt the most improved team, so, I’m going to have to tip my hat to Dykes. But Rich Rod is a close second.

5. Of all the Pac-12 road wins last weekend, which do you think -- going forward -- will mean the most to that team?

Bonagura: Arizona's victory at Oregon, arguably the toughest place to play in the conference, vaulted the Wildcats from the obscurity of the AP poll's "others receiving votes" to No. 10 in the country. Arizona might have beaten Oregon last year, but because it was so late in the season (and the Wildcats lost the next week to Washington State), that win didn't carry the same turning point type of feel this one has the potential to have.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I agree with the @Wazzu prediction.

That game scares me more than USC. Just a brutal road trip.
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

@ Utah scares me the most. That is a good team that is capable of causing havoc while getting 7-8 wins.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

splitsecond wrote:@ Utah scares me the most. That is a good team that is capable of causing havoc while getting 7-8 wins.
The better Utah is, the less likely anyone is to overlook them and the less likely they're a trap game as many have suggested it is. They've got a good defense but they aren't deep. They'll be a tough matchup but if Arizona is healthy they should win this game. I do think they're a top 25 team at this time. But in the four weeks before us, they get USC, Arizona State, Oregon and Stanford, so we'll know just how good they are by then.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Our guys are great!
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

splitsecond wrote:@ Utah scares me the most. That is a good team that is capable of causing havoc while getting 7-8 wins.
They are a different team at home than they are on the road. And they've won some tough road games this year. I agree, that is a toughy.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azgreg wrote:Our guys are great!
They really are.

I love it that there's a weekly community service award. Building men, not just football players.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Chicat wrote:
They really are.

I love it that there's a weekly community service award. Building men, not just football players.

Hate to be repetitive, but I've been following UofA sports for a long time but it feels like we have really good guys in both the B-ball and football programs.

I like what we are building.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

3goggles wrote:Damn this game SCARES me to DEATH!

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... redictions

Alamo Bowl takes the PAC-12 #2 team. Can't imagine too many people think UA is going to be it with our defense and special teams.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Over 30 years ago I was in UMC (long enough ago that it was just known as University Hospital) for two weeks. The football players and Larry Smith came by for visits and I still have a pic somewhere of me with Smith. Those visits do mean something to the kids. (Also met some basketball coach who had just been hired from Iowa... what was his name again? :) )
UAtrue

Post by UAtrue »

Playing against a resurgent Baylor team in Texas certainly would be tough. But, on the good side, this is a highly unlikely scenario...

Not meant to be a Hater post, just a look at reality. We're not there yet. Personally, I'm surprised we came within 2 points of USC. Couldn't stop the run (as others here have posted), but to me it also seemed like we were just barely eeking out those 1st downs that got us downfield to (sometimes) score.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

UAtrue wrote:

Playing against a resurgent Baylor team in Texas certainly would be tough. But, on the good side, this is a highly unlikely scenario...

Not meant to be a Hater post, just a look at reality. We're not there yet. Personally, I'm surprised we came within 2 points of USC. Couldn't stop the run (as others here have posted), but to me it also seemed like we were just barely eeking out those 1st downs that got us downfield to (sometimes) score.
Yeah with all those negatives we should've still won that game by at least 10 points. That makes me really excited about our future. We will be outsized and muscled in some games the rest of the season but we use our speed and pase of play to our advantage. We started running better and defending the run in the 2nd half. That tells me that conditioning is a strength for us. We can sit here all day and argue this. You really do make great points but this team just keeps fighting and believing.
Machina

Post by Machina »

The USC loss hurts because it could have been a very good lead in the South. However if Arizona wins out, Arizona will likely be in the Title Game. And while Arizona has some issues, Arizona can easily overcome theirs wile the other teams in the conference cannot do so nearly as easily. While Arizona will likely not be favored in every game the rest of the year, the spread should not be more than a TD the rest of the way.

Bear Down Arizona and beat the Cougars
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

If USC plays like they're capable of, they may not lose again. Their schedule going forward isn't that bad. If they win out then it's a matter of whether ASU does as well. But this year is crazy in the Pac, so who knows.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Who does usc have left to play? Notre dame, ucla, Utah, colorado, wsu and cal. They should beat Colorado, cal and wsu. They could finish anywhere from 8-4 to 11-1
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Still sticking towards looking for progression this season for Arizona.

- Winning conference record
- Something higher on Bowl hierarchy than Cactus or LV
- Recruiting
- Win over ASU

If season leaps that, I'll embrace it. Happily! Even with winning season records last two years, it was still with losing conference records. I try to be glass half-full, but I'm trying to be realistic. It takes time. Progression. I guessed (hoped) for 8-9 wins in prediction thread. I went with 9.

Arizona still ahead of that projection now. Looking at that thread, only 2 people prediction > 10 wins. 11 at 10 wins.
UAtrue

Post by UAtrue »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:Still sticking towards looking for progression this season for Arizona.

- Recruiting
- Win over ASU

If season leaps that, I'll embrace it. Happily! Even with winning season records last two years, it was still with losing conference records. I try to be glass half-full, but I'm trying to be realistic. It takes time. Progression. I guessed (hoped) for 8-9 wins in prediction thread. I went with 9.

Arizona still ahead of that projection now. Looking at that thread, only 2 people prediction > 10 wins. 11 at 10 wins.

Man, I really want to see this happen.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UAtrue wrote:
RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:Still sticking towards looking for progression this season for Arizona.

- Recruiting
- Win over ASU

Man, I really want to see this happen.

Same here, that would be the high point of the season. I would rather beat them, and lose the rest of our games, than lose to them, and win all the other games.

Well, maybe not, a 12-2 would be pretty impressive, but I just hate losing to the scummies.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

- Recruiting
- Win over ASU

RE,

if we can get by WSU, which I think we will, that would move us to 6-1 overall. At that point I think 9 wins is a very reasonable and realistic expectation.

Our remaining schedule is one of the most difficult in the nation but we have over 50% of those games at home. A lot of the final standings are going to henge on the health of the respective teams and key players.

A win at WSU sets us up for a solid finish, but being realistic I can see us likely going 3-2 down the stretch because there are four freaking tough ass teams remaining on our schedule, with Col being the easiest but getting better as a team, but not yet there.

Out of that group I think Washington is the wild-card, if they come to play and we're not focused, look out. Most likely wins remaining are Col, ASSU and UW if they don't surprise.

Nov. 1 at UCLA

Nov. 8 Colorado

Nov. 15 Washington

Nov. 22 at Utah

Nov. 28 ASSU
Machina

Post by Machina »

The win at Oregon was much much much bigger of a positive than the loss vs USC was a negative, but most don't seem to understand.

This team can still easily get to the PAC-12 title game.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

Machina wrote:The win at Oregon was much much much bigger of a positive than the loss vs USC was a negative, but most don't seem to understand.

I can only assume that there is some humor in there somewhere.

You had me until you put the word "easily" in there. If there is one thing that is unequivocally not true, it is the word "easily". Even Col is not to be taken lightly.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

In conference play the home team is 4-14. that's crazy.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

I believe all 12 teams have lost at home too..
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Machina wrote:The win at Oregon was much much much bigger of a positive than the loss vs USC was a negative, but most don't seem to understand.

Most don't "seem to understand" because they do not live in your alternate universe. The Oregon win provided a tremendous amount of positive publicity for the program - much more than a win at USC (following an Oregon loss) would have. And that's certainly a huge bonus.

But considering our 3 primary goals for every season should be
1. Winning the Division
2. Winning the Conference
3. Beating ASU

A win vs USC would have positioned us better to achieve the first 2 of those 3 goals than the win vs Oregon would have. #1 should be quite obvious... And #2 cannot happen unless #1 does. Those are the facts, whether they fit in with your narrative or not.

The question is, are we content to be the team that overachieves one week a year and snatches the scalp of an elite opponent - or do we want to be the team that factors into the P12 championship? I know how I would answer that question...

Our destiny no longer lies in our own hands, but we need to TCB and we will get the help we need if we do.
Last edited by Harvey Specter on Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

ASUHATER! wrote:Who does usc have left to play? Notre dame, ucla, Utah, colorado, wsu and cal. They should beat Colorado, cal and wsu. They could finish anywhere from 8-4 to 11-1
Pretty tough to finish the season with one loss when they already have 2...
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

- Recruiting
- Win over ASU

^^^ Exactly.

Finish 5-4 or better in conference with a win over ASU and this will have been a successful campaign. Anything better (which I believe is a real possibility) will be gravy.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

We need Utah to take care of USC this week. Utah then has Oregon, ASSU, Arizona and Furd in a row. They will be done.

Would love for UDUB to take out the scum this week. Doesn't matter if we and they keep winning as it would be decided when we play. Next 2 weeks decides a lot of our fate in the conference
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

We just need to win this next game...a tricky one to say the least. Bondo needs to be huge and Denson needs to not be a liability. Become bowl eligible and then off to the Rose Bowl to face UCLA.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Good breakdown at WSR on the toughest schedules for the 1 loss south teams.
#1 Toughest Schedule – Utah Utes

#2 Toughest Schedule – Arizona State Sun Devils

#3 Toughest Schedule – Arizona Wildcats

Oct. 25 @ Washington State
Nov. 1 @ #25 UCLA
Nov. 8 Colorado
Nov. 15 Washington
Nov. 22 @ #19 Utah
Nov. 28 #14 Arizona State

The Wildcats have a favorable home schedule down the stretch, but two of their three road games come against ranked division opponents. Throw in a trip to the Palouse this weekend to face a Wazzou team that shut the Wildcat offense down last season, and things will not be easy for Arizona. The Wildcats conclude the season at home against a ranked ASU team that is 2-0 against the Wildcats under the new coaching regimes.

#4 Toughest Schedule – UCLA Bruins

#5 Toughest Schedule – USC Trojans
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Glover and Georges have left the team.

Tough to see anyone leave the team when we are getting ready for 6 games in a row. Hope they are making the best decisions for themselves.