28 Days Athletic Director Dave Heeke

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ANGCatFan

28 Days Athletic Director Dave Heeke

Post by ANGCatFan »

Heeke is the Wildcats 13th Athletic Director taking over February 2017 after 11 years as the AD at Central Michigan. He also spent 18 years in the Oregon athletic department. Heeke is from East Lansing, MI, and graduated from Albion College where he was a catcher and co-captain of the baseball team.

Heeke has had his hands full since arriving at Arizona. Instead of inheriting a stable program from an AD who moved up, he has had what seems like a 1 1/2 of crisis management. Both football and basketball have had national scandals and required the hiring of a new football coach. Heeke, unfortunately, appears like he has had to spend more times with lawyers than with athletes since arriving at Arizona.

Despite the problems, Heeke has been a steady, positive force. His experience shows and no problem has been too big and it looks like each has been dealt with fairly and straight forward. In addition, Heeke has been able to launch, fund and expand the facility improvement plans left for him. We worried about losing the last AD, but Heeke has proven so far to be an upgrade with fewer tweets and less self promotion.

And he led to Coach Sumlin! After getting really, really excited about the last 2 football hires I am trying to temper my enthusiasm, but Coach Sumlin looks like the best possible hire especially considering the bad-timing and problems with the release of Rich Rod. If Sumlin doesn't work out at least Heeke also has given us beer at the stadium.

On a negative note, Heeke got his masters degree from The Ohio State University and rumor has it they may be in the market for a new athletic director before too long.

28 is the school record for TD passes in a season shared by Anu Solomon, 2014, Willy Tuitama, 2007, and Nick (Super Bowl MVP) Foles, 2011.

RichardCranium

Re: 28 Days Athletic Director Dave Heeke

Post by RichardCranium »

Heeke is from East Lansing, MI, and graduated from Albion College where he was a catcher and co-captain of the baseball team.
My sister graduated from Albion, and her husband graduated from that big school in East Lansing.

Should I take that as a good sign or a bad sign?
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/football/ ... KpsLHBKimo" target="_blank

Severance, Foster Farms Bowl expenses contribute to Arizona athletics budget deficit, per report

Arizona’s athletic department reported a $7.5 million deficit during the 2017-18 fiscal year, according to figures reported by the Arizona Republic.

That marks the third consecutive year Arizona has operated at a deficit, and far up from the $800,000 deficit it had at the end of the 2016-17 year.

Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

One behind the scenes take away....Cole and Jeannie Davis have literally unfiltered power right now. It's nuts. U of A needs large donors like them for our athletic department so badly right now. Large donors at U of A have always had a lot of power but right now it's way beyond anything I have seen or heard.
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Newportcat wrote:One behind the scenes take away....Cole and Jeannie Davis have literally unfiltered power right now. It's nuts. U of A needs large donors like them for our athletic department so badly right now. Large donors at U of A have always had a lot of power but right now it's way beyond anything I have seen or heard.
Yup, I can absolutely back this take. Look no further than these two as to why Sean Miller is still our coach, there's a reason Miller spoke during the opening for the indoor facility (one his team will rarely ever use) and pretty much dedicated his entire time talking about how great Cole and Jeannie are.

As far as Heeke goes you might as well call him Dickless Dave, because that's about all he is at the moment in regards to power.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Newportcat wrote:One behind the scenes take away....Cole and Jeannie Davis have literally unfiltered power right now. It's nuts. U of A needs large donors like them for our athletic department so badly right now. Large donors at U of A have always had a lot of power but right now it's way beyond anything I have seen or heard.
Yup, I can absolutely back this take. Look no further than these two as to why Sean Miller is still our coach, there's a reason Miller spoke during the opening for the indoor facility (one his team will rarely ever use) and pretty much dedicated his entire time talking about how great Cole and Jeannie are.

As far as Heeke goes you might as well call him Dickless Dave, because that's about all he is at the moment in regards to power.
Donors have more "power" than the AD? How is this a good turn of events?
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

pc in NM wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Donors have more "power" than the AD? How is this a good turn of events?
When the AD is as worthless as Heeke is it's whatever. This isn't a permanent solution.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

pc in NM wrote:Donors have more "power" than the AD? How is this a good turn of events?
My guess is Arizona isn't unique in this.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

azgreg wrote:
pc in NM wrote:Donors have more "power" than the AD? How is this a good turn of events?
Yeah, I guess at many institutions, that's the case. So I ask:

How is this a good turn of events?
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

pc in NM wrote:
azgreg wrote:

When you're run by incompetence you've got to mitigate said incompetence. If this was a full time arrangement until death then yeah that's no bueno, but it's a short term issue, so it's who cares. It's not as if the University doesn't have say either, it just doesn't stem from the AD.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

How did we end up with such a worthless AD?

Was there that much smoke after GB left?
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

ChooChooCat wrote:

Watch the entire video, I mean its like the largest love fest to the Davis Family from everyone. I was going to post this earlier as its almost comical. I mean Dr. Robbins basically all but said they go to the Davis family for advice before doing something

The literally are 99% of the reason why Sean Miller is still our coach. There are other donors who would have moved in a different direction but Davis family has consolidated power almost unseen before. We have never been in such desperate need of donors for the athletic department to keep up with the Jones's especially facility wise and GB alienated some of our bigger ones who Heeke has done nothing to get back. GB did help to bring in the Davis family but again they are a bit strange in that they only winter in Tucson and had no previous connection to U of A. I mean neither did Jim Click but its obvious why a local car salesman would want his name out there. Good for business.

Davis family is doing out of the goodness of their heart and given I am a "greedy developer" I am always a bit wary of that. I love U of A because its in my blood. I would love power to ensure shit gets done properly and outsiders do not fuck with our brand or programs. Same reasons I donate to the business school because again most Deans have other agendas and do not have U of A in their blood. They are not usually playing the Long Game in terms of whats best for U of A. Donors can be a good checks and balances on that. I mean I am not sure of many examples of people donating so much to schools they or their kids did not go to.

I am just not sure what the Davis family agenda is as I have only met them once. Seemed nice but again donating this amount of money usually comes with an Agenda. I mean I can not say I disagree with any of their agenda so take the money and run I guess.

I mean keep in mind, when Heeke had dinner with Miller to kiss his ring during the interview process, it was at the Davis Family house.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

pc in NM wrote:
azgreg wrote:

I think its a bit more rare to have such limited amount of donors with such power. It is sort of like how rare it is when Coaches can have this type of power ala Nick Saban at Alabama. I have heard he has made GB his absolute bitch and GB literally has to call ahead if he wants to even come into the football facility. Nick Saban runs Alabama. There is no donor above him. Same with Coach K at duke or Coach Cal at Kentucky or now Dabo at Clemson. This kiss no ones ring.

Now cases of T Boone Pickens at Oklahoma State or Phil Knight at Oregon but in those cases they deserve it almost given they have given hundreds of millions to the program. I know at a USC they have many many donors who give lots of money to the athletic department so not one family runs shit. Casey Wasserman has a ton of power at UCLA but again him and his family have given there for years from what I have been told and Casey is a mover and shaker in LA and Sports so makes logical sense.

At Arizona, I believe Davis family has given a total of $18M. A shit load of money but not enough to gain so much power. Has not been like this in my view at U of A before in terms of the athletic department. There have been people with power but Lute was kissing no ones ring. It was always the other way around. Whether he wanted to do it or not, make no mistake, Sean Miller speaking at the opening of the indoor facility was kissing the Davis's ring.

but to answer your question, without knowing their agenda, I have no idea if this is a good turn of events. I do know our athletic department desperately needs the money.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

CalStateTempe wrote:How did we end up with such a worthless AD?

Lame Duck president hired him and candidly we are no longer a marquee AD job like we were in the 90's. We are a middle of the road job in a conference with a terrible TV deal
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Newportcat wrote:

Lame Duck president hired him and candidly we are no longer a marquee AD job like we were in the 90's. We are a middle of the road job in a conference with a terrible TV deal
It's not just Hart and honestly she didn't have much say, it was more Dempsey angling the job for the guy since they're from the same alma mater. Arizona could've had Utah's current AD and that's the route they should've taken.

As far as the Davis's go if Miller wasn't in the precarious situation he is now I don't think he kisses the ring like he just did. I do think he obviously would be thankful and treat them very well, but yeah due to his current circumstances the man has to kiss the ring whether they demand it so or not. I think when the time comes Robbins will hire a damn good AD and he'll run that entire search himself.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Newportcat wrote:

It's not just Hart and honestly she didn't have much say, it was more Dempsey angling the job for the guy since they're from the same alma mater. Arizona could've had Utah's current AD and that's the route they should've taken.

As far as the Davis's go if Miller wasn't in the precarious situation he is now I don't think he kisses the ring like he just did. I do think he obviously would be thankful and treat them very well, but yeah due to his current circumstances the man has to kiss the ring whether they demand it so or not. I think when the time comes Robbins will hire a damn good AD and he'll run that entire search himself.
I meant more Hart did not really care and just went along for the ride. I knew Dempsey had known Heeke for a while. Rare bad move by Dempsey. To be fair, I think Heeke was given a shit sandwich in many ways. I agree on hiring the AD from South Florida at the time, Harlan I believe.

Zero chance Miller would have kissed any ring but Davis family has had his back strongly and if we have all learned one thing Miller is very loyal to those loyal to him. Maybe one of his biggest faults especially with Book

I also agree with you on Dr Robbins running the process himself. He will handle it and hand pick someone he likes. I do not think he fires Heeke before his contract is up but 0% chance that contract is renewed.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

How many more years on the contact?

If Miller gets a final four/chipper, he gets the ring, but yeah, for now he’s got stakeholders to answer to.

Millers are competitive guy. The calculus is what gets him closer to his goal? Sticking with Arizona or moving on? I’d like to think that at the moment it’s sticking with Arizona. I’m sure Arizona feels the same way wrt to the current situation with the AD and program.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

CalStateTempe wrote:How many more years on the contact?
Contract expires April 1, 2022.

The thing is though in years 4 and 5 Robbins will dictate Heeke's salary per the contract, so I'm not sure if he can force Heeke out earlier by doing something in that regard or not.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:How many more years on the contact?
Contract expires April 1, 2022.

The thing is though in years 4 and 5 Robbins will dictate Heeke's salary per the contract, so I'm not sure if he can force Heeke out earlier by doing something in that regard or not.
With that and him knowing he is a dead man walking....Does Heeke start looking for a new gig sooner than later... say June?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

God I hope so.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

The Stevens have given a boat load as well if you include the shares of his oil company in the retention bonus.

Did seem odd seeing Miller in a building that the basketball team probably wouldn’t use. Used to see Heeke and Robbins at multiple athletic events, have to wonder if that has changed
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

azcat49 wrote:The Stevens have given a boat load as well if you include the shares of his oil company in the retention bonus.

Did seem odd seeing Miller in a building that the basketball team probably wouldn’t use. Used to see Heeke and Robbins at multiple athletic events, have to wonder if that has changed
Jeff Stevens did but remember originally Jim Livengood actually brought him in for the original donation for Lowell Stevens facility. Sunny Jim actually provided a nice parting gift with that and Sean Miller. I have not heard the Stevens family being as aggressive recently. His investment in Rich Rod was a major mistake