The Official Drop the 3-3-5 Thread.

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

BearDown89

Re: The Official Drop the 3-3-5 Thread.

Post by BearDown89 »

dmjcat wrote:
OSUCat wrote:
dmjcat wrote:
So by your logic if the UA were to lose Baucus, Ebbeles, Gurrola, and Bundage for this Saturdays UCLA game it would have no effect on how Solomon/Wilson/WR's play????? Riiiiiiiiggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttt!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Sorry buddy, I never stated that it had "no effect" on the game. I was showing that their are more parts of the game than one position, which you are not recognizing. Also, if Oregon was starting a RS QB at Arizona and a Freshman RB I would think it would be a game breaker, but it was at Oregon with a Heisman Candidate and 4/5 stars across the board. It was also three offensive lineman that they knew would be out, it is Oregon fault for not game planning correctly. Oregon could have one 5 wide and just short pass us to till death, but they didn't. Oh, I will stop. Is clear that pessimism runs deep in you. Not giving Arizona any credit for the win is not realistic.
"It was also three offensive lineman that they knew would be out, it is Oregon fault for not game planning correctly" So Oregon needs to plan better and not have the majority of their offensive line get hurt??? OMG, :lol: :lol: :lol:
Talk about reading comprehension. That's not what he said. He suggested a strategy in the very next sentence.

Just admit you're an Assu fan. Nothing but criticism and "realism" for the Cats and praise for Cracker's D. Whatever dude.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Puerco wrote:
dmjcat wrote:
Huh?????? Better read the post again......I said (repeatedly for those with reading comprehension issues) that Cracker has put up an effective defense. They guy I was replying to stated that asu's defense was no good and then referenced the swan dive..........he's the fellow having it both ways!
You gave ASU's defense credit for stopping a bad play against us, and you refuse to give our defense credit for stopping someone else's bad play. You're inconsistent in your criticism of UA and your praise of ASU.
"You gave ASU's defense credit for stopping a bad play against us" I won't even try to analyze the grammar (or logic) in that statement. Where exactly, did I criticise the UA defense a single time in this thread (today)??? As a matter of fact I praised the use of a 4 man front and dropping the 3-3-5 for the WSU game. I merely pointed out that the UO's lack of a starting offensive line was key to holding them to 24 points.......which it was.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

BearDown89 wrote:
dmjcat wrote:
OSUCat wrote:
dmjcat wrote:
So by your logic if the UA were to lose Baucus, Ebbeles, Gurrola, and Bundage for this Saturdays UCLA game it would have no effect on how Solomon/Wilson/WR's play????? Riiiiiiiiggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttt!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Sorry buddy, I never stated that it had "no effect" on the game. I was showing that their are more parts of the game than one position, which you are not recognizing. Also, if Oregon was starting a RS QB at Arizona and a Freshman RB I would think it would be a game breaker, but it was at Oregon with a Heisman Candidate and 4/5 stars across the board. It was also three offensive lineman that they knew would be out, it is Oregon fault for not game planning correctly. Oregon could have one 5 wide and just short pass us to till death, but they didn't. Oh, I will stop. Is clear that pessimism runs deep in you. Not giving Arizona any credit for the win is not realistic.
"It was also three offensive lineman that they knew would be out, it is Oregon fault for not game planning correctly" So Oregon needs to plan better and not have the majority of their offensive line get hurt??? OMG, :lol: :lol: :lol:
Talk about reading comprehension. That's not what he said. He suggested a strategy in the very next sentence.

Just admit you're an Assu fan. Nothing but criticism and "realism" for the Cats and praise for Cracker's D. Whatever dude.
"He suggested a strategy in the very next sentence"....LOL, Sorry, but you can have all the strategies in the world and its not going to compensate for missing the vast majority of ones offensive line. If you don't understand or comprehend that Oregons lack of an offensive line didn't contribute heavily to our victory then I'm wondering if YOU aren't an asu fan (they are not too bright)
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

dmjcat wrote: "It was also three offensive lineman that they knew would be out, it is Oregon fault for not game planning correctly" So Oregon needs to plan better and not have the majority of their offensive line get hurt??? OMG, :lol: :lol: :lol:
Man, you should check your reading comprehension.

I did not suggest that the offensive line injury's was due to Oregon's planning. What I said was that Oregon knew that they were going to miss three offensive lineman against Arizona. What that means is that Oregon had the choice to pick plays that would hide that weakness, (I.E. quick throws ect.) or not. Oregon had enough time to put additional plays in as they had a bye week before the Arizona game. Oregon had two weeks to put in the right plays, get their backups first reps, and to hide the fact that they had three starters out.

Do you really not get this?

Again, I'm not stating it didn't effect the game, never had, but Oregon wasn't shocked by these injuries and didn't know about them before hand. If Oregon is really three Offensive lineman away from being Colorado, than I guess the world has seriously over stated Oregon's recruiting.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

OSUCat wrote:
dmjcat wrote: "It was also three offensive lineman that they knew would be out, it is Oregon fault for not game planning correctly" So Oregon needs to plan better and not have the majority of their offensive line get hurt??? OMG, :lol: :lol: :lol:
Man, you should check your reading comprehension.

I did not suggest that the offensive line injury's was due to Oregon's planning. What I said was that Oregon knew that they were going to miss three offensive lineman against Arizona. What that means is that Oregon had the choice to pick plays that would hide that weakness, (I.E. quick throws ect.) or not. Oregon had enough time to put additional plays in as they had a bye week before the Arizona game. Oregon had two weeks to put in the right plays, get their backups first reps, and to hide the fact that they had three starters out.

Do you really not get this? Do you really not get that there really isn't much "strategy" that one can employ when missing most of ones offensive line????

Again, I'm not stating it didn't effect the game Your original statement inferred that, all I am saying is that UO's shell of an OL should not be mistaken for a great UA defensive performance, never had, but Oregon wasn't shocked by these injuries and didn't know about them before hand. If Oregon is really three Offensive lineman away from being Colorado, than I guess the world has seriously over stated Oregon's recruiting.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

To me the biggest thing is the AZ defebnse has not given ip a big play in the 3 years Casteel and RR has played Oregon. They live off that and everyone else gets shredded by them at some point (Furd excepted)

In no way does that win deserve an asterick and after we beat UCLA I want to see the list of 2 road win teams that are as impressive as AZ . Going to be a short list
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

[quote="dmjcat"You gave ASU's defense credit for stopping a bad play against us" I won't even try to analyze the grammar (or logic) in that statement. Where exactly, did I criticise the UA defense a single time in this thread (today)??? As a matter of fact I praised the use of a 4 man front and dropping the 3-3-5 for the WSU game. I merely pointed out that the UO's lack of a starting offensive line was key to holding them to 24 points.......which it was.[/quote]

Grammar? That's your defense? Okay, please do analyze my bad grammar, son. This should be fun.

Anyway, no logic in my statements. They're simply the analysis of what you wrote in two separate posts. In the first instance, you claim that ASU's defense is good and then give them credit for stopping an admittedly bad play by Matt Scott. In the second instance, you refuse to give UA's defense credit for performing well against Oregon, because Oregon had injuries. I doubt I am the only one who finds those two posts contradictory.

And please note that I never claimed you criticized UA's defense. I said you did not give them credit. There is a difference.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

dmjcat wrote:Do you really not get that there really isn't much "strategy" that one can employ when missing most of ones offensive line????
This is silly. Of course there is.

If your backups have issues holding blocks you throw quick slants and hitches on three step drops. Draw plays and QB rollouts would be effective as well.

And let's not pretend for a second that Arizona's defensive line is chock full of All-Americans. How much does Zellers weigh again?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Chicat wrote:
dmjcat wrote:Do you really not get that there really isn't much "strategy" that one can employ when missing most of ones offensive line????

If your backups have issues holding blocks you throw quick slants and hitches on three step drops. Draw plays and QB rollouts would be effective as well. News Flash - Oregon is primarily a running team, quick slants and hitches won't solve the root problem of not having an OL

And let's not pretend for a second that Arizona's defensive line is chock full of All-Americans. How much does Zellers weigh again?
Agree, 247 pounds

Bottom line, lets not confuse luck: (UO missing their OL, Hail Mary against Cal) for being good
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Great teams make plays. I can of some pretty good teams that came up big on hail mary's (CU vs Mich, BC, vs Miami, ASSU vs USC). I don't think that is luck. They all went up and got it
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

dmjcat wrote:
Chicat wrote:

If your backups have issues holding blocks you throw quick slants and hitches on three step drops. Draw plays and QB rollouts would be effective as well. News Flash - Oregon is primarily a running team, quick slants and hitches won't solve the root problem of not having an OL

Agree, 247 pounds

Bottom line, lets not confuse luck: (UO missing their OL, Hail Mary against Cal) for being good
Such horseshit. As usual. Nothing lucky about that Hail Mary. Cats battled back with 36 points in the 4th, or was that all luck too? Then they made a play. Great throw and catch. Sucks for you I guess not being able to enjoy your team's success. The Cats are your team right? It's hard to tell.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

dmjcat wrote:
Chicat wrote:

Agree, 247 pounds

You've had some really dumb posts but this might top the list. You're down to "luck"? After all the talk from you about not being able to replace KaDeem's numbers (which we have with Grigsby and Wilson), to Anu being a 2nd teamer and not being able to count on him - that's all you have left? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pathetic comes to mind.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
I say luck is when an opportunity comes along and you're prepared for it.

Denzel Washington
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

azcat49 wrote:Great teams make plays. I can of some pretty good teams that came up big on hail mary's (CU vs Mich, BC, vs Miami, ASSU vs USC). I don't think that is luck. They all went up and got it
So now AZ is a "Great Team???"

Wow, pass the Kool-Aid, it must be double spiked with some really potent crack cocaine! :D
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

It's amazing how lucky good teams get.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

dmjcat wrote:
azcat49 wrote:Great teams make plays. I can of some pretty good teams that came up big on hail mary's (CU vs Mich, BC, vs Miami, ASSU vs USC). I don't think that is luck. They all went up and got it

Wow, pass the Kool-Aid, it must be double spiked with some really potent crack cocaine! :D
sometimes you just gotta admit defeat and that you've been wrong on everything
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

ASUHATER! wrote:
dmjcat wrote:

sometimes you just gotta admit defeat and that you've been wrong on everything
You are absolutely correct. I've been all wrong. The 2014 UA football team is great. They are the PAC12 equivalent of the 62 Packers!!! Buwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

dmjcat has absorbed the essence of Cogent, uacats, and DallasCat and become the ur-pessimist. :-)
jollything

Post by jollything »

There's always at least one on the boards. Smh.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

He's beyond pathetic. He literally has nothing left as everything he said would happen hasn't. UTSA was going to beat us. Then Oregon was going to beat us. And then Wazzu was going to beat us because..... wait for it..... They beat us LY.

We're 6-1 and ranked in the top 15 and I could give 2 shits whether dmj thinks it's dumb luck or not. Wouldn't bother me if we won via the Hail Mary every freaking game.
Disambiguator

Post by Disambiguator »

I read multiple boards on a daily basis, but I am a reluctant poster due to time constraints. I love to check in, but not get caught up in having to compose posts or banter back and forth. However, I registered for this board some time ago entirely to call out the pathetically transparent/deliberately obtuse dmj"cat". You have painted yourself into such a disingenuous corner at this point that you could never BS your way out of it. Please stop wasting your and everyone else's time with your dogmatic stupidity. You're screwing up the threads, you don't appear to know what you are talking about, and your whole schtick has become pure folly. Enough is enough, eh?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

How do you know we are not great? We should be 7-0 and not because we missed a FG but because we left 12-28 pts in the red zone.

We beat #2 at there place and have hung almost 50 twice on PAC defenses. Granted we are not a great defense but we have improved since Cal.

I expect to win the rest of our games. I am past hoping like you are, I am believing. Maybe your not hoping because the cats are not your team
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

Disambiguator wrote:I read multiple boards on a daily basis, but I am a reluctant poster due to time constraints. I love to check in, but not get caught up in having to compose posts or banter back and forth. However, I registered for this board some time ago entirely to call out the pathetically transparent/deliberately obtuse dmj"cat". You have painted yourself into such a disingenuous corner at this point that you could never BS your way out of it. Please stop wasting your and everyone else's time with your dogmatic stupidity. You're screwing up the threads, you don't appear to know what you are talking about, and your whole schtick has become pure folly. Enough is enough, eh?
Well said and you should post more often.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I'm just glad you bold your posts dmj. Wouldn't want anyone to miss them.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Reydituto

Post by Reydituto »

Chicat wrote:I'm just glad you bold your posts dmj. Wouldn't want anyone to miss them.
I tried to tell y'all, but noooooooooooo ... :lol: :lol: :lol:
But in my book, you gotta get to White Castle before the weirdos show up!
Tonight he gets Happy-Go-Jackie on the big white guy like a donkey eating a waffle!
Sweet Sassy Molassey, get out the checkbook and pay Grandma for the rubdown!
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

dmjcat wrote:
Chicat wrote:

Agree, 247 pounds

DMJ,

I'm not trying to pile on just for the sake of piling on, and lord knows I've been an overly cautious hard ass from time to time myself. Sometimes I was right and sometimes I was wrong.

But at some point after taking everything into consideration and weighting all the factors from the season so far, even you've got to admit that this Cat team has really earned their place to this point and holy crap do we have a coaching staff that can prepare a team. This roster is littered with hardcore overachievers everywhere. This team is easy to like.

I had my doubts, and I still don't think we're world beaters by any means. But we are pretty damn good for such a young team and we still to this day lack the depth the we will need to have in the years ahead.

All in all, we could shit the bed coming down the stretch here and lose three of five, who knows with such a brutal gauntlet of teams waiting in the wings anything can happen. But I think we are going to hold our own against them and at most suffer maybe, maybe 2 losses at the most to finish the year, but more likely we'll only suffer 1 loss if all goes well. I think that loss could be Utah, but we have beaten the odds before.

Honestly, if things play out like we all hope, I don't know how any cat fans could be pissed or upset. These young guys have played their hearts out.

Whether we end up a stunning and unexpected 11-1, 10-2 or even 9-3........holy shit, that is a good season and super cutting edge shit for this young developing group with our depth issues.

I think its time to get on board the Wildcat train bro and give some props where they are deserved, because this group of young warriors just might leave the train station on its way to the PAC12 championship game without you.

Not saying its likely, but its certainly possible.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

dmjderp missed his bus again.

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Getting back on topic....

Is it possible our defense is actually improving?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Alieberman wrote:Getting back on topic....

I don't know. It's hard to tell from last week. We threw a wrinkle at a one dimensional team that we had another week to prepare for. We'll know a lot more after this week for sure.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Alieberman wrote:Getting back on topic....

Year-on-year? Absolutely. I'm not sure how a defensive-minded coach like Stoops let it get as bad as it got, but we were putrid.

Unfortunately we've had a lot of guys play a lot of snaps and I don't feel like improvement the defense has made so far this year will continue. Injuries will mount and our lack of depth will hurt us. How much remains to be seen. But luckily we have an offense that can put up a bunch of points in a hurry so we can win some shootouts.

The improvement I've seen over last year has been tackling. The number of times you see someone out in space try to arm tackle a WR or RB as they are running by has dwindled down to almost nil. Obviously the coaches are stressing fundamentals and work in the weight room. That is definitely going to take us far.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat wrote: Unfortunately we've had a lot of guys play a lot of snaps and I don't feel like improvement the defense has made so far this year will continue. Injuries will mount and our lack of depth will hurt us. How much remains to be seen. But luckily we have an offense that can put up a bunch of points in a hurry so we can win some shootouts.
Scooby and Tevis take a pounding every game

I don't see the Cats D stopping Hundley and Perkins, besides Jack which the Cats had no answer for last year. Hopefully UCLA will keep Jack on defense where the Cats can tire him out. Best the UA can hope for is to get a couple of 3 and outs, and not get any themselves.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

Merkin wrote:
Chicat wrote: Unfortunately we've had a lot of guys play a lot of snaps and I don't feel like improvement the defense has made so far this year will continue. Injuries will mount and our lack of depth will hurt us. How much remains to be seen. But luckily we have an offense that can put up a bunch of points in a hurry so we can win some shootouts.
Scooby and Tevis take a pounding every game

I don't see the Cats D stopping Hundley and Perkins, besides Jack which the Cats had no answer for last year. Hopefully UCLA will keep Jack on defense where the Cats can tire him out. Best the UA can hope for is to get a couple of 3 and outs, and not get any themselves.
Seriously? That's the best we can hope for?

We were suppose to not have an answer for Oregon either? Wazzu was suppose to beat us as well. I think Ucla is our toughest match-up because they've had our number in regards to stopping us offensively the last 2 years. Last year we lost 31-26 and everybody remembers how quickly the wheels came off 2 years ago. Two years ago we had beat ucla 5 straight and they came out with they're hair on fire and we didn't come close to matching their intensity. Comparing TY to '12? I don't see anything comparable? They've beaten us 2 straight and I don't think anybody has to be reminded what happened the last time we played at ucla.

The difference between TY and LY for Arizona as it's been for every game thus far is Anu. We had no problem running the ball against ucla LY as KaDeem had 149 yards and Denker ran for 82 yards. Both averaged over 5 yards a rush. Denker threw for 186 (20-33) with 2 TD's and an int. So what happens TY if Anu throws for 300+ and our rushing numbers are similar to LY? Do we score more than 26 this time?

Speaking of Myles Jack, he had 6 carries for 120 yards and busted one for 66. Those were his first carries of the season in game 9. TY Perkins and Hundley are 1, 2, in regards to rushing yards for Ucla. We held Perkins in check last year with 56 yards and Hundley also had 56 yards. I'm sure Ucla is confident that they can run on us TY and they probably feel like they don't need Jack to do so. Wouldn't be surprised if Jack saw time on offense and why not. shame on us if we aren't ready for him.

At the same time we have Anu and a bevy or WR's that nobody has stopped thus far. Ucla gives up on average 30 points per game so I'm curious why you think ucla will move the ball on us but we won't move the ball on them? They're last in the conference in getting to the QB and if you let Anu have time back there he will find guys open and get them the ball.
The other big difference is Anu can pass from the pocket which certainly wasn't Denkers strong suit.

The biggest difference between TY and LY is LY Ucla got pressure on the QB and our QB was Denker who usually averaged 5 yards or less per pass attempt. Anu doesn't run like Denker but he averages almost 3 yards more per attempt than Denker did.

I don't have any doubts that Ucla will score on us, the question becomes whether they can stop us from scoring? If they can pressure Anu which they haven't pressured anybody thus far then they should win easily. If they can't get pressure on Anu and he's able to sit back in the pocket and find his WR's then we will be in this game till the end.
Last edited by dc4azcats on Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Last year Jack took us by surprise and by the time we came out of it, it was too late.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

dc4azcats wrote:. Ucla gives up on average 30 points per game so I'm curious why you think ucla will move the ball on us but we won't move the ball on them?
I don't think that DC, I was saying that the Cats need to score every possession. TJG + Wilson have more yards than Perkins does, who is having a great season. Anu is a lot more comfortable in away games, and also more comfortable in the 1Q as shown in Pullman. UA is going to score a lot of points.

Forget the exact ratings, but UCLA is something like 86th in total defense and the Cats 95th.

The O/U is 70. Bet it gets closer to 80.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I'm curious why you think ucla will move the ball on us but we won't move the ball on them?

No one said that.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

Chicat wrote:I'm curious why you think ucla will move the ball on us but we won't move the ball on them?

No one said that.
My bad. You were both concerned about our ability to stop Ucla but neither one of you mentioned Ucla's ability to stop us. Don't they go hand in hand?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

dc4azcats wrote:
Chicat wrote:I'm curious why you think ucla will move the ball on us but we won't move the ball on them?

No one said that.
My bad. You were both concerned about our ability to stop Ucla but neither one of you mentioned Ucla's ability to stop us. Don't they go hand in hand?
Not at all actually. Each team could score on every single possession and we could still lose. Especially with our red zone issues.

For the record I'm more concerned about the long term ramifications of Scooby, Will Parks, or Bondurant getting injured than I am with stopping UCLA's offense.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

You know I can't figure out how we win but I just think ANU finds a way to lead us to victory. We just are not physical enough to match up with UCLA but they can't stop anyone so far.

I think this is a shootout and we win on a FG at the end of regulation
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

If Arizona holds UCLA to 33 again this year, then the Wildcats win.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

dc4azcats wrote:He's beyond pathetic. He literally has nothing left as everything he said would happen hasn't. UTSA was going to beat us. Then Oregon was going to beat us. And then Wazzu was going to beat us because..... wait for it..... They beat us LY.

We're 6-1 and ranked in the top 15 and I could give 2 shits whether dmj thinks it's dumb luck or not. Wouldn't bother me if we won via the Hail Mary every freaking game.

I said UTSA was going to beat us????? Nooooooooooooooo, Did you miss applying your Exalon patch today?
Last edited by dmjcat on Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Disambiguator wrote:I read multiple boards on a daily basis, but I am a reluctant poster due to time constraints. I love to check in, but not get caught up in having to compose posts or banter back and forth. However, I registered for this board some time ago entirely to call out the pathetically transparent/deliberately obtuse dmj"cat". You have painted yourself into such a disingenuous corner at this point that you could never BS your way out of it. Please stop wasting your and everyone else's time with your dogmatic stupidity. You're screwing up the threads, you don't appear to know what you are talking about, and your whole schtick has become pure folly. Enough is enough, eh?

Sorry, but you can't have the position of the Marilyn vos Savant of the board, Reydituto has that title taken :lol:
Last edited by dmjcat on Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Gladiator Cat wrote:
dmjcat wrote:
Chicat wrote:

Agree, 247 pounds

DMJ,

I'm not trying to pile on just for the sake of piling on, and lord knows I've been an overly cautious hard ass from time to time myself. Sometimes I was right and sometimes I was wrong.

But at some point after taking everything into consideration and weighting all the factors from the season so far, even you've got to admit that this Cat team has really earned their place to this point and holy crap do we have a coaching staff that can prepare a team. This roster is littered with hardcore overachievers everywhere. This team is easy to like.

I had my doubts, and I still don't think we're world beaters by any means. But we are pretty damn good for such a young team and we still to this day lack the depth the we will need to have in the years ahead.

All in all, we could shit the bed coming down the stretch here and lose three of five, who knows with such a brutal gauntlet of teams waiting in the wings anything can happen. But I think we are going to hold our own against them and at most suffer maybe, maybe 2 losses at the most to finish the year, but more likely we'll only suffer 1 loss if all goes well. I think that loss could be Utah, but we have beaten the odds before.

Honestly, if things play out like we all hope, I don't know how any cat fans could be pissed or upset. These young guys have played their hearts out.

Whether we end up a stunning and unexpected 11-1, 10-2 or even 9-3........holy shit, that is a good season and super cutting edge shit for this young developing group with our depth issues.

I think its time to get on board the Wildcat train bro and give some props where they are deserved, because this group of young warriors just might leave the train station on its way to the PAC12 championship game without you.

Not saying its likely, but its certainly possible.
I agree with about 95% of what you posted. I certainly hope we win the rest of our games, its just that I realize that the statistical odds of that happening are relatively low. BTW, I have been on the "Train" since I first start attending UA football games back in 1972 when I was in grade school. Unfortunately the UA football train tends to run off the tracks more often than not! :lol:
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

dmjcat wrote:
dc4azcats wrote:He's beyond pathetic. He literally has nothing left as everything he said would happen hasn't. UTSA was going to beat us. Then Oregon was going to beat us. And then Wazzu was going to beat us because..... wait for it..... They beat us LY.

I said UTSA was going to beat us????? Nooooooooooooooo, Did you miss applying your Exalon patch today?
Try as you might it doesn't change how pathetic you are. But by all means keep posting as I think you're really making some headway with the other posters.

Just to recap, you thought we couldn't replace KaDeem's numbers and we have. You thought we couldn't rely on Anu and we can. You thought we would lose to wazzu because they beat us LY but upon further review you did have us beating Utsa. It's Utah and assu that you have us losing to.

Interesting reading your comments in regards to Assu and their DL. The only real up tempo team that they've played was Ucla who put a 62 on them. Usc to some degree is up tempo and SC controled the LOS for most of the game - if not for Sark being a bad coach they win that game. Then Assu plays Stanford which plays right into Assu's hands as their fat and out of shape DL doesn't get tired because Stanford huddles as does UW. Even Colorado who went up tempo at the end of the game was able to get back into the game because Assu's fat ass out of shape DL wasn't effective.

If Utah goes up tempo and they will, they will give Assu all they can handle and then some. Notre Dame goes up tempo as does Wazzu and UA. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if Wazzu beats Assu for that very reason. I have to give credit to excatdb for enlightening me as he brought this up on tos.
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

Just to dip my toe into this shitfest, I'd like to submit my opinion that Graham's 2013 and 2014 defenses aren't all that great. Now hear me out, this isn't because of Graham being at ASU, but merely his defense's over-reliance on the blitz last year and this year, and my opinion of that kind of defense.

2 years ago their defense was good. This was because they had a very good pair of LB's in Bradford and Burfict (stupid penalties aside, very physical player), some solid safeties, and a DL that included a gigantic Will Sutton. Now, it seems to me, that to compensate for the fact that ALL of the players that I just mentioned were gone by 2013, ASU has decided to throw 6-8 man blitzes at every opportunity. Now, against Denker, who couldn't deal with pressure consistently due to his terrible pocket presence and his reliance on extremely short throws, this was very effective. I don't think that a defense that gambles that much is especially good, and I think they get exposed against QB's that can keep calm in the pocket. Of course, inexperienced or poor QB's will get shredded, which means that a blitz-heavy defense will have a certain amount of success, but otherwise I think they'll be burned by the better/elite teams more often than not. Does anyone else agree with me, at least in schematic terms?
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

qwertyus wrote:Just to dip my toe into this shitfest, I'd like to submit my opinion that Graham's 2013 and 2014 defenses aren't all that great. Now hear me out, this isn't because of Graham being at ASU, but merely his defense's over-reliance on the blitz last year and this year, and my opinion of that kind of defense.

2 years ago their defense was good. This was because they had a very good pair of LB's in Bradford and Burfict (stupid penalties aside, very physical player), some solid safeties, and a DL that included a gigantic Will Sutton. Now, it seems to me, that to compensate for the fact that ALL of the players that I just mentioned were gone by 2013, ASU has decided to throw 6-8 man blitzes at every opportunity. Now, against Denker, who couldn't deal with pressure consistently due to his terrible pocket presence and his reliance on extremely short throws, this was very effective. I don't think that a defense that gambles that much is especially good, and I think they get exposed against QB's that can keep calm in the pocket. Of course, inexperienced or poor QB's will get shredded, which means that a blitz-heavy defense will have a certain amount of success, but otherwise I think they'll be burned by the better/elite teams more often than not. Does anyone else agree with me, at least in schematic terms?
I agree. Look at Stanford as an example, they played right into Assu's hand by trying to run the ball and then throw in long yardage situations and Hogan getting killed by the blitz. I really think Wazzu is going to give Assu trouble because they run up tempo and guys will be open because of Assu blitzing 6 guys. The big fat DT's will be useless in this game and you have to wonder whether CTG looks at what Arizona did (doubtful) and puts his fat DT's on the bench.
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

dc4azcats wrote:
qwertyus wrote:Just to dip my toe into this shitfest, I'd like to submit my opinion that Graham's 2013 and 2014 defenses aren't all that great. Now hear me out, this isn't because of Graham being at ASU, but merely his defense's over-reliance on the blitz last year and this year, and my opinion of that kind of defense.

I agree. Look at Stanford as an example, they played right into Assu's hand by trying to run the ball and then throw in long yardage situations and Hogan getting killed by the blitz. I really think Wazzu is going to give Assu trouble because they run up tempo and guys will be open because of Assu blitzing 6 guys. The big fat DT's will be useless in this game and you have to wonder whether CTG looks at what Arizona did (doubtful) and puts his fat DT's on the bench.
I look back at that Washington game, and the announcers were praising ASU for this supposedly super-stout defense that they were playing... Except the wind was so terrible Washington literally ran the ball the ENTIRE GAME, and even then, when they got Shaq in and started getting a drive going, the ASU defensive front got tired, then they just got pushed around big time. They were like a reverse WSU, except IMO the run is a lot easier to stop than the pass. Let's see how ASU does against more pass-happy offenses, like WSU, Arizona, and against a QB in Mannion that can stand in the pocket and deliver balls all over the field. I don't think OSU would win, but I think they could test this ASU defense a bit, certainly more than Washington...
Scummy Dick Douglas

Post by Scummy Dick Douglas »

Burfict's last season in Tempe was the 2011 season. Will Sutton is not gigantic. The dude is 6ft tall and about 290-300lbs. What made Sutton great was his quickness off the line, not his size/strength. And none of the players you mentioned except for Burfict were gone by 2013. After the 2013 season, more than half of their defense made the All Pac team, including Bradford and Sutton. The defense we faced last season was very effective. This is the year they are replacing most of the defense.
Last edited by Scummy Dick Douglas on Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scummy Dick Douglas

dc4azcats wrote:

The first time they used a heavier defensive front was the Stanford game. (It was their lighter "attacking" defense that got shredded by UCLA, a UCLA team that did not run an up-tempo by the way.) You will likely see them continue with the heavier front this week against Utah, another run heavy team.
Scummy Dick Douglas

qwertyus wrote:
dc4azcats wrote:

I look back at that Washington game, and the announcers were praising ASU for this supposedly super-stout defense that they were playing... Except the wind was so terrible Washington literally ran the ball the ENTIRE GAME, and even then, when they got Shaq in and started getting a drive going, the ASU defensive front got tired, then they just got pushed around big time. They were like a reverse WSU, except IMO the run is a lot easier to stop than the pass. Let's see how ASU does against more pass-happy offenses, like WSU, Arizona, and against a QB in Mannion that can stand in the pocket and deliver balls all over the field. I don't think OSU would win, but I think they could test this ASU defense a bit, certainly more than Washington...

Regardless of the conditions, the ASU defense gave up 3 pts, and the UW defense, (a defense that I believe has the best front 7 in the Pac), gave up 17 pts. I would say the ASU defense played pretty well.

The reality is, UA, ASU, and Utah are all trending upward. The next 6 weeks will be interesting.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

That was Troy Williams first start at QB for the Huskies. He saw a little action at the end of the Oregon game when Miles got hurt. I don't think he attempted a pass further than 10 yards the whole game.