Every. Damn. Time.

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

UAEebs86

Re: Every. Damn. Time.

Post by UAEebs86 »

azpenguin wrote:
Merkin wrote:Why did TMZ have to show the Skowron flopping image of all the ones they could have used?
Would have preferred the one that shows the contact.
I heard it was the same ref that called Utah for running into the kicker last week.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Skowron needs to watch some soccer video and learn how to flop the right way.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Devil's advocate on Skowron: He doesn't flop until there's contact from the USC player. One thing coaches teach kickers that if you get so much as grazed, you go down. Shouldn't have done the ankle grab, though, that's the bad acting part.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Merkin wrote:Video of the flop:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-footbal ... ron-pac-12
Chicat wrote:
Merkin wrote:Why did TMZ have to show the Skowron flopping image of all the ones they could have used?
Because it's pretty funny.
:D It is, that flop was hilariously bad.

Just thought they were trying to get some sympathy for the kid yet smirking using that image.
My favorite was when he was yelling at the ref pointing to his foot like it had been snapped off at the ankle.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
gumby

Post by gumby »

There is no joy in Mudville ...
Right where I want to be.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

azpenguin wrote:Great find, ANG. I am horrified at the idiocy that's being sent Skowron's way - and proud as hell to see everyone, from Byrne on down, get his back.
Just when you thought TJ couldn't get more awesome. Love how he stuck up for him.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

Skowron is a great kid and will bounce back. I promise you all, he will win us a few of our remaining games.

He will be needed big-time and he will come through.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

CollegeSpun gathered some of the tweets to Skowron:

http://collegespun.com/pac-12/usc/arizo ... ake-injury
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

OMG merk, that is flat out embarrasing. I hope all of those twitter handles are bombarded with requests to apologize to the kid and I hope they do it
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Every.

Damn.

Time.

Oh, there's an opportunity hanging there, and we have a chance to reach out and pluck it from the air? Nah, we're Arizona Football.

Sigh.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Yup. It was a complete offense let down. RB couldn't make a move, O-line couldn't open up anything, and WR when hit would drop the ball, let aloe a QB that couldn't hit anything tonight.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

As much as UCLA wanted to lose this game, UA sure decided they wanted to lose it more.

Awful passes by Solomon, WR dropping the few good passes, and the FG team was worse than a junior high school unit.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

I hate to go there, but this is getting more depressingly predictable than an Arizona Cardinals playoff game.

At least Kurt Warner finally got the Cards to a Super Bowl. All we have left for company are the Chicago Choking Cubs.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Every damn time. Mora had a defemsive plan. We had no counter. Dominated on the lines yet again. Never getting to the next level until we solve that.
Last edited by gumby on Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Done with football after tonight. Hard to get excited over a New Mexico, Las Vegas, cactus, poinsettia or whatever the bowl game will be.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

I ain't gonna pile on; I'm not really the type that enjoys that. Tough night, but UCLA's gonna lose at least one more and Arizona's got this out of their system. Yeah, I've seen this happen too many times, but I'm not the fatalist type. Every game from here on out is winnable. Not easy but winnable. Still need USC to lose at least one to have a shot at the Pac-12 crown. This is what can happen with a young team, though.

For what it's worth, I thought at the end of the year last year that the Cats were going to lose a close on against UCLA this year but when the Bruins come to town in 2015 the Cats are going to flat destroy them. Still sticking with that. Pile on the team if you want, but that ain't my style.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I thought we would lose this game.

I didn't think we'd lose like THAT.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

azpenguin wrote:I ain't gonna pile on; I'm not really the type that enjoys that. Tough night, but UCLA's gonna lose at least one more and Arizona's got this out of their system. Yeah, I've seen this happen too many times, but I'm not the fatalist type. Every game from here on out is winnable. Not easy but winnable. Still need USC to lose at least one to have a shot at the Pac-12 crown. This is what can happen with a young team, though.

For what it's worth, I thought at the end of the year last year that the Cats were going to lose a close on against UCLA this year but when the Bruins come to town in 2015 the Cats are going to flat destroy them. Still sticking with that. Pile on the team if you want, but that ain't my style.
Amen!!! We are young as fuck we are just seeing barely seeing what this team will look like next year and beyond like buzz lightyear shit
KOQSTRONG

Post by KOQSTRONG »

7 freaking points?? At least the RichRod articles to Florida might die down now.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

We basically got shut out. The only scoring drive was due to helpful penalties that kept the drive going.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

KOQSTRONG wrote:7 freaking points?? At least the RichRod articles to Florida might die down now.
That's right!
AZarchery

Post by AZarchery »

Is there anyway way we can win a conference title without having to play in the spotlight? That is where my hope resides.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

NYCat wrote:We basically got shut out. The only scoring drive was due to helpful penalties that kept the drive going.
Crazy thing is it only counts as one loss! On to the next brobeans!!!
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

You know I don't think ASSU is all that good and obviously hate them. But I like the way they play! The play balls to the wall all game
Good For You

Post by Good For You »

Queue drunken rant:

You know, if ucla had come out and played well and beat us 35-31, that would be fine. ucla has the talent. They always do. We will always be in an uphill battle with them and the $poiled Children. Unfortunately that's not what happened here. This was a total shit fest. Even on the ONE drive we scored on. The first drive. The ONLY drive. That was totally ucla handing it to us save one play. My god. All the talk about how important this game was. How 2012 was eating at Richrod. And this is what we get? Seriously? This is the effort and execution we get? Our VETERAN offensive line gets skull fucked the entire game? We had, what, one standard running play that went 10 yards? ONE? I don't know how much blame to put on Anu. Kid was pressured on every play and the receivers, you know our AMAZING receivers, dropped how many passes?

I should qualify this rant to some degree. The defense played their asses off. Going into the game I was concerned about the defense because of injuries. Figured our offense would score but wasn't sure the defense could make enough stops. Boy was I wrong.

Bottom line is this is the Arizona football. They suck you in and then disappoint EVERY DAMN TIME. Rich Rod is by far the best coach we have ever had and even he can't overcome the Arizona mojo. I realize this wasn't necessarily supposed to be the year and we should be happy to be 6-2 with a very good shot at 8-2 but mark my words, we'll probably win the next 3 and go into the assu game needing a win to take the south, and then Arizona football will shit all over our dreams once again.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Chicat wrote:I thought we would lose this game.

I didn't think we'd lose like THAT.
Just when you think you know how a game's gonna go...it doesn't!

:lol:

I thought it would be a high scoring shootout.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

gumby

Post by gumby »

I'm celebrating that 2015 victory tonight.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

gumby wrote:I'm celebrating that 2015 victory tonight.
I already rushed the field!
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

Now all that's left for me to root for is beating ASU. I know that when the going gets tough, we choke, but RR, please just beat TG. Just this once. I know you'll let us down whenever we get too high, but I'm not asking for much. Just once could you beat the Scum?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Well at least it wasn't 66-10, progress right :)
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

So does Arizona have post grad course that Utah doesn't have so he can transfer and be our kicker next year? Just a thought
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

azpenguin wrote:I ain't gonna pile on; I'm not really the type that enjoys that. Tough night, but UCLA's gonna lose at least one more and Arizona's got this out of their system. Yeah, I've seen this happen too many times, but I'm not the fatalist type. Every game from here on out is winnable. Not easy but winnable. Still need USC to lose at least one to have a shot at the Pac-12 crown. This is what can happen with a young team, though.

We are going to "destroy" UCLA in 2015??? The Kool-Aid drinking for next year has started a bit early. The UCLOWNs return just about everyone on both the OL/DL. The Cats lose our two 5th year seniors and our center on the OL. On the DL we lose our best two players (Pettinato and Gilbert) and we sure have hell haven't recruited or developed anyone to take their place.

Bottom line we will probably get our asses kicked on both lines of scrimmage again next year by the Ruins
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

The talent gap tonight was ENORMOUS.

Looked a lot like the SC game expect being on the road compounded it.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the roster is just not very good still. The lack of speed kills a lot of what Rich Rod wants to do in his scheme but even more disappointing/disturbing was the way the O-line was whipped.
I...drink...your...MILKSHAKE!

"I'm better at life than you." -RockyRaccoon/Richard Sherman

"Those that don't understand the importance of great coaching, don't understand the game." -RR

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

KOQSTRONG wrote:7 freaking points?? At least the RichRod articles to Florida might die down now.
Mora to the NFL! TG to the SEC! Let the rumors start now!
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

DMJ give it a rest please. Do you want yo say hey you b were right. We lost big shit.

Rocky, I would agree with your post. Well done
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

3goggles wrote:So does Arizona have post grad course that Utah doesn't have so he can transfer and be our kicker next year? Just a thought
Just missed two in a row. Way to jinx him.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azpatnca

Post by azpatnca »

Ain't nothin changed.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

UAEebs86 wrote:
3goggles wrote:So does Arizona have post grad course that Utah doesn't have so he can transfer and be our kicker next year? Just a thought
Just missed two in a row. Way to jinx him.
Right! What was I thinking!
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Thoughts on the horrible game.

----

This is worst then a blowout, they just didnt show up to play.

What the hell is up with UCLA painting their faces?

UCLA committing a lot of mistakes, which Arizona didn't take advantage of. Had all the opportunities and chances on a silver platter, offense didn't capitalize off it.

Bend but don't break defense held UCLA to under 20 which is surprising. But they were getting run over on the ground game. They got routinely beat on short passes & screens all day. The qb draws hurt, and 3rd down defense was bad.

Anu couldn't deal with pressure all game which is obviously hard to do. He is also very relaxed and calm which is helpful because he doesn't get fazed or rattled but didn't play with any urgency in crucial moments. Too content

Anu still sucks at reads, he has to keep the ball once in a while. Feeding the tailbacks to a defensive rush repeatedly doesn't help the drive with small rushes.

The receivers couldn't catch a cold if they tried, didn't do Solomon any favors.

Offense was just horrible, run game, passing game, play calling, execution, etc. Why are you running down 2 scores on 1st and 2nd down! Only had two meaningful drives, one which led to the only score was only possible because of UCLA penalties. The second the fg was missed.

Time of possession was huge, UCLA dominated and slowed the game down never letting the cats offense to get any kind of flow.
TOP: UCLA 38:09 Arizona 21:51

Team looked too laid back/soft

UCLA held the cats to 6 yd or less on 5+ drives And bunch of 3 & outs, and/or short drives that did nothing but give the ball back to UCLA.

When Casteel did sent pressure, they got TFLs, and held UCLA or short plays huh.

Vs USC and now USC the talent & size gap is evident and an important factor. They just own both sides of the lines of scrimmage

Season low in yards, points.

3 sacks - only allowed 15 entering this game, second-best in the Pac-12.

3 man rushes again. No pressure allowed Hundley to sit in the pocket if he wanted to or break out a huge draw. How do receivers get open with 8 men in coverage? Soft coverage aka prevent defense aka prevent win defense.

70+ yrd touchdown pass was a dagger, if not for that lapse in the secondary - Arizona might have had a chance.

Red zone offense sucks

Can't keep relying on late 4th qtr comebacks. Playing atrocious for the the whole game (Cal, USC, UCLA) then trying to catch on fire late is a losing formula.

UCLA is undisciplined, if Arizona's offense showed up probably would've won by a decent margin.

Rado up next, ugh should be a blowout at home. UDub has a great defense which might beat up Arizona, but they have no offense and its at home. Then @ Utah which who knows how that will go, good defense no offense (passing game), but road game. Should be 8-3 or 9-2 when ASU and Graham come to town.

Another crappy bowl most likely, USC & UCLA have tiebreakers. Utah & asu maybe as well

Scooby is amazing

Basketball season is almost here.

Fuck ASU
Last edited by NYCat on Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Great job my man! On to the next one and basketball season! This team has passed my expectations so far! Gotta get the next 2 games at home!
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

That 70 yard pass wasn't the dagger, the offense's play was the dagger. To that point UCLA only has 10 points, and you can't expect the defense to hold them completely down the whole game. If your defense holds a team like that to 17 you should win.

I still think one of the biggest plays of the game was the offensive pass interference call on Grant. That negated a huge gain at a time when the offense was starting to click. If Grant doesn't throw that early block then Arizona probably scores on that drive.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

azpenguin wrote:That 70 yard pass wasn't the dagger, the offense's play was the dagger. To that point UCLA only has 10 points, and you can't expect the defense to hold them completely down the whole game. If your defense holds a team like that to 17 you should win.

I still think one of the biggest plays of the game was the offensive pass interference call on Grant. That negated a huge gain at a time when the offense was starting to click. If Grant doesn't throw that early block then Arizona probably scores on that drive.
The play before that was no call on targeting hill!
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Good God... This is the same sh*t every year. People make more excuses for this program than the most obnoxious Little League Mom.

As for the "talent disparity", funny how it never showed this season, with either team, until tonight. UCLA dominated the LOS on both sides; I would consider the "talent excuse" (especially in the trenches) argument if the 7 prior weeks had given any indication that this argument is legitimate. They haven't.

And if We are so undermanned that we just couldn't do anything against UCLA, the. we might end the season with 5 straight losses. I do not believe we should.

The offensive play calling and execution was PUTRID. The players and coaches can share equally in the blame for tonight's loss.

As for our "lack of speed".. What about all that "explosive speed that is underrated due to size" that I have read people crowing about these last 3 years?

Al is not lost. We will lose at Utah, but this will still be a terrific season if we finish off with 3 straight wins. I am not holding my breath, but I am holding out hope.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

Last time I ever "travel" for the football program.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

But RR skipped recruiting the LA area!
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

Harvey Specter wrote:Good God... This is the same sh*t every year. People make more excuses for this program than the most obnoxious Little League Mom.

As for the "talent disparity", funny how it never showed this season, with either team, until tonight. UCLA dominated the LOS on both sides; I would consider the "talent excuse" (especially in the trenches) argument if the 7 prior weeks had given any indication that this argument is legitimate. They haven't.

And if We are so undermanned that we just couldn't do anything against UCLA, the. we might end the season with 5 straight losses. I do not believe we should.

The offensive play calling and execution was PUTRID. The players and coaches can share equally in the blame for tonight's loss.

As for our "lack of speed".. What about all that "explosive speed that is underrated due to size" that I have read people crowing about these last 3 years?

Al is not lost. We will lose at Utah, but this will still be a terrific season if we finish off with 3 straight wins. I am not holding my breath, but I am holding out hope.
USC dominated both lines in the exact same fashion as UCLA.

"Those that don't understand the importance of great coaching, don't understand the game." -RR

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

RockyRaccoon wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:Good God... This is the same sh*t every year. People make more excuses for this program than the most obnoxious Little League Mom.

USC dominated both lines in the exact same fashion as UCLA.
Great point. Please name all the other teams that UCLA has dominated on the LOS. Then list the records of those teams.

Just because we made them look like future All-Pro's does not mean they are. Especially when this is the first time in 8 games they have looked that way.

Look, as pissed as I am, I am trying to keep some perspective. This season is not lost. But stop trying to make it seem like UCLA is some dominant team at the LOS when tonight is the ONLY time this season they have looked like one.

Yes, they hammered ASU, but ASU also gained 620 yards on them. Not a powerful team in the trenches...

Then, afte you explain how our line play is the reason for the loss, expand on why next year we will be so much better when we lose 4 starters, who have collectively started over 100 games between them, next season.
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

I'm not saying USC/UCLA have dominant lines but that doesn't mean they didn't dominate UA's lines when they went up against them.

No one on UA's O-line is All Pac-12 caliber. They aren't physically dominant and wont be blowing many people off the line.

That being said, they are in tremendous shape and if the tempo gets going they will wear down even the best of teams. That didn't happen tonight because of a variety of things (poor play calling, Anu off on a few throws, dropped passes, penalties, etc).

I've been saying it all year (and was mostly killed for it after the USC game) but the biggest weakness on the offense is a lack of speed/explosiveness. It is difficult to spread a defense out when no one on the receiving corp (expect TJ Johnson, and maybe Neal) can blow past anyone. I really think it has curtailed some of RR's play calling and I really hope it changes in the next few years.

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Thank god I went to bed and didn't stay up for that abortion of a game.

Now I'm refreshed for today rather than tired and pissed.

Cats101, I hear you, it's tough to travel and support a team that consistently lets you down.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Nights like the last remind me why football can be an athletic department's greatest liability even more than its greatest revenue generator.

This wasn't just laying an egg against UCLA. This was an offensively non-competitive performance devoid of on-field adjustment that makes you hate the very sport.

The "line play" excuse smacks of covering for personnel deficiencies which depend on being schemed around to win- ultimately what ended Stoops here.

Can't blame lack of facilities anymore. You can get all the OKG's in the world, but you won't ever beat the big dogs in this conference unless you step up and recruit with them.

Or admit that you can't. And Arizona, really, never has. So all the LA schools have to do is get in a scrum with you and wear the defense down.

Same as it ever was. It's becoming like asking a dead man to pass a driving test. What fresh new whitewash will cover this latest failure going forward?