What is your problem with the 3-3 Stack defense?

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

3goggles

What is your problem with the 3-3 Stack defense?

Post by 3goggles »

What about this scheme bothers you the most?
azpenguin

Re: What is your problem with the 3-3 Stack defense?

Post by azpenguin »

Not a lot (except on third and long... third and one or two and they'll stop you cold but third and 17, move those chains.) The defense has been improving as the season goes on. They've already matched last year's sack total. The two losses this year are not on the defense; they've given the offense a chance to win in every game except Cal (and they still won that one.) When the younger guys come around some more, look out. For example, Denson had an int in his hands; catch that and UCLA has seven less points. McCall and Denson are showing signs of learning how to ballhawk. These guys also play press coverage more than you think, but even with playing ten yards off the receivers they still seem to manage to stall drives out between the 30s. Casteel knows what he's doing.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

We don't seem to be able to recruit prototypical D linemen.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Not much really, and wasn't the reason why we lost last night.

I would love to find a Danny Shelton type nose to lead this group, but they're hard to come by.
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

whatisee wrote:Not much really, and wasn't the reason why we lost last night.

I would love to find a Danny Shelton type nose to lead this group, but they're hard to come by.
All of this. Our LB's are clearly our best position group and are excellent, but if we could just get slightly better DL, we'd be a real force. I think Grandon being out hurt us on that double move where Denson got burned. Other than that, we held them down to 17 points at home, and aside from padding the stats UCLA wasn't really doing too much on offense. It was broken plays that killed us. Jesus, if someone had told me that we'd hold UCLA to 17 points for the entire game, I'd have taken that in a heartbeat, but our offense was fucking terrible.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »