Scooby

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Chicat

Scooby

Post by Chicat »

Is he the second coming of Tedy Bruschi?

Obviously Tedy didn't play LB while at Arizona, but Scooby plays Tedy's NFL position and they are remarkably similar in size, tenacity, motor, speed, and so on.

If Scooby can stay healthy, I would venture to say that he can at least approach Tedy's career sack record as long as Casteel continues to give him the primary rush responsibility from the LB position. And I actually do expect Scooby to break Bruschi's single season sack record this year.

Anyway, I absolutely love the way this kid plays so I figured I'd give him his own thread. :)
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Re: Scooby

Post by Merkin »

If one person on defense deserves his own thread it's Scooby. He would have been a perfect fit for Desert Swarm.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

I really wish their was video of Scooby running the flag after the Cal win.

Scooby is on his way to being a Wildcat legend!
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

I have said it in another thread, but yes I think he is very much a player in the image of Tedy. Tedy didn't play LB because we were obviously running a much different defense, and frankly were undersized all over. And FYI he is 4th nationally right now in sacks with 9 and tied for 9th in total tackles with 49.

Also, this week's crazy numbers were partially because they put him on the line more than usual (*cough* doubleeagleflex *cough*) much like Tedy.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Scooby Wright's star is rising at Arizona

http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_/id ... at-arizona
When asked recently about the hardest hit he ever has taken, Cal quarterback Jared Goff had a surprising reply.

“In college or ever?”

Goff was sacked 32 times as a true freshman last year, so the concept that none of those measured up to something from high school was tough to accept. Then he explained.

“Because Scooby Wright hit me really hard in a high school game … that might have been it.”

Wright, who was named the Bronko Nagurski National Defensive Player of the Week after recording three sacks and three forced fumbles in Arizona’s 59-37 win against WSU on Saturday, remembers the game against Goff well. Not only because it was a playoff game that ended his team’s season, but because of what he endured in the process.

While playing offense in the middle of the second quarter, Wright fractured his ankle but stayed in the game.

“I attempted to play, let’s put it that way,” Wright said. “I wasn’t too active. My coach tried to take me out and I said no. I think I played the whole game.”

The whole game … with a fractured ankle. That’s not normal.

But for those who have watched Wright develop into one of the nation’s best linebackers, that Wright wasn’t willing to remove himself from that game probably isn’t all that surprising. Since starting Arizona’s first game last year as a true freshman, has developed a reputation for toughness and passion.

“It’s so fun to watch him play because every snap is going to be the last snap he ever plays,” Arizona coach Rich Rodriguez said. “You hope all your players emulate that, but he truly does all the time, even in practice, and I think that’s what makes him so effective.”

Through seven games, Wright ranks first in the country in forced fumbles (five), third in sacks (nine), third in tackles for loss (14) and No. 12 in tackles per game. Not bad for a guy who was mostly shunned by recruiters during his standout career north of San Francisco at Cardinal Newman High in Santa Rosa, California.

“Utah, Nevada, Boise State, San Diego State came by and saw my film, but I never really heard anything,” said Wright, whose light recruitment is honored by his Twitter handle, @TwoStarScoob. “Boise State didn’t think I was fast enough.”

Whether the lack of recruiting interest played a motivating role for Wright once he got to Arizona is insignificant, but, regardless, he arrived with a simple mindset: “Don’t let anyone outwork me.”

He hasn’t and opposing coaches are taking notice. Count UCLA coach Jim Mora, whose No. 22 Bruins host No. 12 Arizona on Saturday, as a big fan.

“I love him. First of all, I love his name and, secondly, I love the energy that he plays with,” Mora said. “He’s a tremendous player. I love those guys that play with their heart. I love the passion he has for the game. I think he plays the run well, I think he’s a good rusher, I think he can cover. But the thing I most respect about him is the energy and passion he plays with.”

While he got by on effort and instincts last season, when he was named honorable mention All-Pac-12, this year has been different. A significant amount of time in both the film and weight rooms has the 6-foot-1, 246-pound sophomore exceedingly more confident.

“It’s so much different this year because I actually know what I’m doing,” he said. “I am more comfortable with our scheme and am able to not play blind. I know what’s going on around me and can pick up on things the offense is doing.”

With just one loss, Arizona (6-1, 3-1 Pac-12) is one five teams that could still conceivably emerge from the Pac-12 South. That's the goal, and Wright said going to Oregon and winning -- which was sealed by his strip of Marcus Mariota -- proved that if they execute they can be as good as any team in the conference.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Bleacher Report's Ted Robinson with his thoughts on Arizona and the rest of the PAC 12 dark horse playoff contenders.

Here is why it is in this thread:
It was the first time I had seen Scooby Wright in person this season, and he impressed. The Wildcats often used four rush men spread wide (a technique often called Wide 9), and it helped sack Halliday four times.

Announcers often gauge a defensive player's impact by how many times that name is mentioned during a game. It isn't a perfect measure, but in this contest, Wright was involved in every significant Arizona defensive play.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Reading an old article on Scooby after his first game against NAU:

http://www.wildcat.arizona.edu/article/ ... dar-090413

“He’ll be an all-Pac-12 linebacker someday,” senior linebacker Jake Fischer said after the Wildcats’ 35-0 victory over NAU last Friday.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Scooby was awesome once again.

The rest of the team . . . not so much.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Yep, Scooby was great. The defense played well I thought. Got pushed around a little too much maybe but still a hell of an effort holding UCLA way under their average. Our offense and FG unit had plenty of chances and couldn't get anything going.

Imagine Sccob as a senior, he's pretty amazing already.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Biggest difference between Scooby and Bruschi so far is that Bruschi had worlds more support across the defense.

The d didn't play badly last night, but imagine what Sean Harris, Jim Hoffman and Brant Boyer could do on this unit.

To say nothing of Rob Waldrop. Seems like the last true tackle we've ever had.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

catgrad97 wrote:To say nothing of Rob Waldrop. Seems like the last true tackle we've ever had.
EMFM
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

19 tackles last night along with 3 more sacks. Dude is a beast
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

One guess as to who is not on the Butkus Award watch list. . .

http://www.thebutkusaward.com/watchlist/view.aspx?t=c

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. . ..
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

What was the comment last night about Scooby's height? One of them asked RR if Scooby was truly 6'1". RR said if he was standing on a box and had his cap on.

Something like that. Not that Scooby is 5'9" like Fischer.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ghostwhitehorse wrote:One guess as to who is not on the Butkus Award watch list. . .

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. . ..
That doesn't even make sense.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ghostwhitehorse wrote:One guess as to who is not on the Butkus Award watch list. . .

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. . ..

Wait, what? Shaq Thompson is on there? Don't they realize he switched to RB?

Hayes Pullard from SC does not have a single sack this season.

UCLA's Kendricks has 2.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ghostwhitehorse

http://www.arizonawildcats.com/ViewArti ... =209746696
Announced by the Maxwell Football Club on Monday, Arizona’s sophomore linebacker Scooby Wright is one of 20 semifinalists for the Chuck Bednarik Award, given annually to the most outstanding defensive player. Wright is one of five Pac-12 Conference players honored and one of six linebackers named to the list.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

azgreg wrote:
He is the defensive version of Kadeem. He doesn't have top end speed and size but will wear you out all game!
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Watching the run up to tonight's MNF game and they were doing a piece on Andrew Luck. He used 'Sccoby Wright' as part of his pre snap cadence. Possibly listen for it tonight :lol:
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ghostwhitehorse

http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_/id ... f-the-year
David Lombardi/@LombardiESPN:

A quick look at the Pac-12’s defensive statistical leaders should seal the case for Arizona linebacker Scooby Wright III. If numbers mean anything, Wright has clearly been the most productive defensive player in the conference. His 12.1 tackles per game top the conference by a clear margin. (UCLA's Eric Kendricks is in second place with 10.8.) His 1.5 sacks per game trail only Hau’oli Kikaha’s 1.72, and Kikaha happens to be the national leader in that category. Wright manages to gobble up ball carriers at league-best clip, but he’s also racked up 18.5 tackles for loss, an average of 2.31 per game, just 0.08 off the conference lead. Simply put, this Wildcat can be anywhere and everywhere on the football field at one time. He’s been the definition of a “one-man wrecking crew” in Tucson.

Icing on the cake: Wright has forced five fumbles. No other Pac-12 player has more than three. And there’s been a clutch factor here, too: One of those strips victimized Marcus Mariota late to seal Oregon’s only loss of the season.

Oh, and there’s no better name in this mix than Scooby Wright III. Case closed.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Tucson good.
UAtrue

Post by UAtrue »

Some writers back east are starting to notice..
Scooby Wright, Rashard Higgins and the best players in college football you've never heard of

....he may be the best defender in college football....

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/ ... d_wes.html
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

UAtrue wrote:Some writers back east are starting to notice..
Scooby Wright, Rashard Higgins and the best players in college football you've never heard of

....he may be the best defender in college football....

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/ ... d_wes.html
Generally speaking, the guys who make high-volume tackles are inside linebackers who aren't a part of the pass rush. And the pass rushers are ends or outside linebackers who aren't necessarily volume tacklers.

For Arizona, Wright is both and as such, he may be the best defender in college football -- and he probably makes most of his plays after you go to sleep.

The sophomore is third in the nation in total tackles (97), second in tackles for loss (18.5) and second in sacks (12), a rare combination of upfield playmaking and a lot of tackles.

In last week's 17-7 loss to UCLA, he had 19 tackles, 4.5 for loss, and sacked Hundley three times.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Great video!
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Hes in the top 5 of all thos stats.

Dude is on fire.
Zona_Soccer10

Post by Zona_Soccer10 »

The guy is a monster. After he's done ambushing the PAC, he's going to be a hell of a player in the league.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

From an interview with Sefo Liufau:

“I wouldn’t say keep an eye out,” Liufau said. “Obviously you’re aware of their playmakers on defense, but I wouldn’t say we’re going to be running the ball away from him…Every defense has a really good player and he’s just another one. So we’re just going to stay to our game plan, kind of take what they give us and attack what we think are weaknesses in their defense.”

http://cuindependent.com/2014/11/05/bea ... ible/57199?

Needs to choose his words a little more wisely, methinks.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Pretty bland stuff, but you're right. As the opposing QB I'd be praising Scooby all day, just in the hope he hits me a little less hard.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Puerco wrote:Pretty bland stuff, but you're right. As the opposing QB I'd be praising Scooby all day, just in the hope he hits me a little less hard.
Probably just best to say Scooby is a great player and you're looking forward to playing against him, but your premature surrender take is interesting too.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Bleacher Report article on the hottest and coldest players in college football.
Hot: Scooby Wright, LB, Arizona

If you're reading this on Saturday evening, there's a good chance Scooby Wright will have recorded a sack, a tackle for loss or forced a fumble before you've moved to the next slide. Possibly all of them.

The only player in FBS ranked in the top 20 in tackles (97), tackles for loss (18.5), sacks (11) and forced fumbles (five), according to Arizona's media relations Twitter account, the sophomore linebacker is coming off back-to-back performances in which he earned the Pac-12's Defensive Player of the Week honor. A semifinalist for both the Bednarik and Lombardi awards—despite not being on either's preseason watch list—Wright has been the anchor of the Wildcats defense all season.

''He's been everything and then some,'' Arizona coach Rich Rodriguez told Anthony Gimino of the Associated Press.

He's been particularly on fire of late, with 10.5 tackles for loss, six sacks and three forced fumbles in his last three games. In Arizona's win at Oregon in early October, Wright's strip-sack of Marcus Mariota in the fourth quarter sealed the upset.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azgreg wrote:Great video!
We market the fuck out of our guys and our team. I love it.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Remember when Manti Te'o was a Heisman candidate? In his 13 games.

Total Tackles: 113
Tackles for Loss: 5.5
Sacks: 1.5
Forced Fumbles: 0
Int: 7

Another player: UCLA 2012 Anthony Barr in 13 games
Total Tackles: 66
Tackles for Loss: 20
Sacks: 10
Forced Fumbles: 6
Int: 0

If Arizona only had one loss, I would be arguing that Scooby should be a Heisman candidate. How can someone not see the Mariota strip as a Hiesman moment?
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Kikaha got a half sack on the first drive and was injured on the play.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Scooby is the best LB in the conference and it's not close.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

One part of his game that can improve is pass coverage. Not ask to do much of that it seems given the scheme (5 DB's) but it would be nice to see him take some deep drops and maybe get a pick
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

catinfl wrote:Scooby is the best LB in the conference and it's not close.
Thankfully, he still needs to work on his coverage skills, so there's a reason for him to stay till Senior year... :D

Pfft... azcat49 stealing my thunder...
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

azcat49 wrote:One part of his game that can improve is pass coverage. Not ask to do much of that it seems given the scheme (5 DB's) but it would be nice to see him take some deep drops and maybe get a pick
I see where you're coming from. But I wouldn't take him out of his present role. He's insanely effective, a one man wrecking crew with his current role. I don't think we want to take him off the pass rush because it needs all the help it can get. Basically, the D is clicking, and don't screw with something if it's working.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I agree Penguin, just thinking about from his stats. He doesnt have a pick yet. We do need him assualting the backfield of the opponent. Lets hope he munches on Kelly's helmet on the 28th all game long
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

From Bruce Feldman's Weekly Article:
THIS WEEK’S SCOOBY WATCH

Arizona's terrific sophomore LB Scooby Wright had "only" 10 tackles, two TFLs and one sack in the Cats' win over Colorado. Wright now has 13 sacks through nine games. The year before he arrived at Zona, the Cats' whole team had just 16 sacks in 13 games.
MY HEISMAN TOP FIVE

1. Marcus Mariota, QB, Oregon

2. Dak Prescott, QB, Mississippi State

3. Melvin Gordon, RB, Wisconsin

4. Duke Johnson, RB, Miami

5. Scooby Wright, LB, Arizona

At this point Mariota has a decent size lead, I think, but it's not quite his Heisman to lose. I could see Prescott narrowing the gap quite a bit if he can lead MSU to a win over Bama. The other guys with a big opportunity: Duke Johnson and Jameis Winston, since Miami hosts FSU this weekend. Realistically, I think both are longshots to actually win the Heisman this year. They'd need both Prescott and Mariota to lose or at least really struggle. As I wrote a few weeks ago, I'm skeptical no matter how well Winston could play the rest of this season if enough Heisman voters would put him on their ballots.
http://www.foxsports.com/college-footba ... ure-110914
Zona_Soccer10

Post by Zona_Soccer10 »

The Heisman would be a ridiculous sized "Scooby Snack". He would also be the first defensive player since Woodson, and first linebacker I believe.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

A defensive player will never win the Heisman again.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I just hope he makes consensus first team all america. Could he become the first 3 time AA and show defensive recruits what we can do on that side of the ball
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azcat49 wrote:I just hope he makes consensus first team all america. Could he become the first 3 time AA and show defensive recruits what we can do on that side of the ball
That would be sweet!
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

At the very least he should be one of the 2-3 finalists for the Bednarik, Maxwell, Walter Camp,Butkus and Nagurski awards.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

I personally don't think our 3/3/5 is keeping big recruits from coming to AZ. I think scooby will show that you can be a stud in the defense and when we get some more speed and siZe we will start to blitz more I believe. We ran this defense at CDO and would blitz every down from every position and you never knew where the blitz was coming from!