Why I'm Not Worried

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

TuiTouchdown

Why I'm Not Worried

Post by TuiTouchdown »

I'm not worried because we lost. In fact, coming out of a stretch that included Oregon, SC, Wazzu, and UCLA, I think that even the most optimistic fans would have accepted going 2-2.

I'm not worried because I look at our 2 losses and see that we lost the two games by a total of 12 points. In those losses, it isn't that we're getting completely manhandled or blown out, we just aren't executing the way we should be. But in one way or another, we're still in these games until the whistle blows.

I'm not worried because our team is filled to the brim of young talent. Anu, Nick, Caleb Jones, Griffey, Tyrell Johnson, Grant, Phillips, and Neal are all offensive weapons that will just keep getting better. On D, which is was the cause of a lot of hand-wringing at the beginning of the season is playing better than expected. It wasn't the reason we lost at UCLA and hell, we could have beat SC with a field goal. McCall and Densen will keep getting better. Scooby will be an absolute beast in the years to come.

I'm not worried because in the big scheme of things, this is the "win small" stage of Rich Rodriguez's coaching process. We've talked about this before and it does require some patience, but RichRod is 16-10 at Arizona since coming to Tucson. Even pessimistically this year's record looks to equal our 8-5 record of the previous two years and optimists could still see a 10-2 finish. Under Stoops we were 12-20 after 3 seasons. I also think it's important to add that there's a great deal of feeling that RichRod is nowhere near his ceiling and that once he gets all of his guys in, we will see where he can take us.

Still more football to play. I love this team. Bear Down!
BMalo

Re: Why I'm Not Worried

Post by BMalo »

With those 8 wins in the past 2 years coming from bowl wins, if we surpass 8 regular season wins I consider it progress in year 3.
Machina

Post by Machina »

This is where we all expected the Cats to be, if not better, at this point in the year. Football has a big way, more than any other sport, of getting too up on wins and too down on losses. Sports talk radio always says over-reaction Monday during the NFL season, and it is completely true for college football as well.

Excited for Basketball Season to start in December but it is ARIZONA FOOTBALL SEASON!

Bear Down Arizona and beat the Buffalos
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

Mmmm. .. Buffalo Burgers. . ..
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Still on track for 9-3.

Chafes my hide that Arizona is two FGs and a touchdown away from being one of the top five teams in the country, though.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Bummed but win the next 2 and blue skies all around heading into 2 tough ones.

Still moderately concerned with recruiting, especially on the defensive side of the ball. ASSU is killing us in that aspect
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Machina

Post by Machina »

azcat49 wrote:Bummed but win the next 2 and blue skies all around heading into 2 tough ones.

Still moderately concerned with recruiting, especially on the defensive side of the ball. ASSU is killing us in that aspect
Scooby Wright.

While I would love higher star guys, I am not concerned at all with RR and crew getting the right guys for them and coaching them up.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I get what your saying Machina, but expectations change with a season.

I predicted 9-3 for the season, but like CG97 said, this could've been a dream season. We are certainly due for one.

Given my personal deflated expectations for what will be a "good season", I'll still watch all the games and cheer my ass off, but truth be told, I'm looking towards the start of BB.
Machina

Post by Machina »

CalStateTempe wrote:I get what your saying Machina, but expectations change with a season.

I predicted 9-3 for the season, but like CG97 said, this could've been a dream season. We are certainly due for one.

Given my personal deflated expectations for what will be a "good season", I'll still watch all the games and cheer my ass off, but truth be told, I'm looking towards the start of BB.
Even with the kick in the junk vs both So Cal schools, I still do not give one single care for basketball season. Hopefully when the games start my excitement will come.

If the Cats win out, which they very well can, there is still a good shot of playing in Levi's Stadium.

Also a huge bowl game is still within grasp.

I know we have seen this movie before, but I refuse to accept that this season will turn out like that 100%.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

azcat49 wrote:Bummed but win the next 2 and blue skies all around heading into 2 tough ones.

I'm liking what I'm seeing defensively. At corner McCall is improving and growing up fast. Denson is going to be good. The line is showing some improvement and reinforcements are on the horizon. Ippolito and Turituri are figuring things out in a hurry and making plays. If you look at the roster and look at who's freshman and sophomore, and remembering that some of these guys are redshirting... I'm not worried about the defense.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Machina wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:I get what your saying Machina, but expectations change with a season.

Even with the kick in the junk vs both So Cal schools, I still do not give one single care for basketball season. Hopefully when the games start my excitement will come.

If the Cats win out, which they very well can, there is still a good shot of playing in Levi's Stadium.

Also a huge bowl game is still within grasp.

I know we have seen this movie before, but I refuse to accept that this season will turn out like that 100%.
I dunno, after police academy 3 i could've told your how the rest would go. :)
cat77

Post by cat77 »

azpenguin wrote:

I'm liking what I'm seeing defensively. At corner McCall is improving and growing up fast. Denson is going to be good. The line is showing some improvement and reinforcements are on the horizon. Ippolito and Turituri are figuring things out in a hurry and making plays. If you look at the roster and look at who's freshman and sophomore, and remembering that some of these guys are redshirting... I'm not worried about the defense.
I agree. My only question is what kinda size do we have coming in for the d line?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Here's what our 2015 class looks like so far:

Finton Connolly DT 6'3" 255
Kendal Franklin DE 6'3" 240
cat77

Post by cat77 »

azgreg wrote:Here's what our 2015 class looks like so far:

Ugh....
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

cat77 wrote:
azpenguin wrote:

I agree. My only question is what kinda size do we have coming in for the d line?
First off, and this was mentioned on the other site by Scheer, losing Dwight Melvin for the year due to academic issues was a huge loss and is why Zellers ended up getting PT instead of red shirting. Lots of folks were saying that the light came on for Melvin and was ready to make a big leap. He will get that chance next season to make the leap.

Sani the poly kid who came back from his mission this past summer will definitely be in the mix as well with a full year of coaching and S&C under his belt.

Worthy has another year as well then you have a bunch of young guys who are getting coached up and getting stronger by red shirting in Calvin Allen, Jack Banda, Luca Bruno, Marcus Griffin (listed at 6'2 300 and red shirting) then add in Williams who nobody really knows what his situation will be but he's been posting videos as if he's coming in and will be ready to go. Getting him on campus in January will help big time as he will go through Spring practice and have 9 months of S&C under his belt.

Catinfl mentioned on the other sight that Reggie Gilbert might have a strong case for another year which would further strengthen our DL. We're getting there and we're closer than you think. Look at Scooby Wright and the jump he made from LY to TY and he gives a ton of credit to Fischer and Flowers for constantly giving him pointers and insight.

Now look at our DL and where do the guys on the DL go to get the knowledge from guys who have played the position LY or 2 years ago? Our first year in the D was a waste because we were going from a 4 man front to a 3 man front and our guys didn't have a clue as to what they were doing. Last year Tui and Hood graduate just as they were getting the hang of how to play in this D. So the 2 guys who could've really helped in schooling the young guys are gone and we're back to square one in a sense. Worthy is in his first year in this D, Zellers the same. Pettinato is a senior but for the first time is finally healthy and getting meaningful minutes but will be gone after this season. Gilbert, same as Pettinato. Once we get some consistency and guys being in the system and playing together for an entire season not just a couple of games, you will see the DL make some big strides.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Arizona fans are so typical talking about Bball so early...hate that. I don't watch bball until after New Years...
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Thanks for the info dc.
Machina

Post by Machina »

UALoco wrote:Arizona fans are so typical talking about Bball so early...hate that. I don't watch bball until after New Years...
This type of attitude from fans does not help keeping RR at Arizona
Scummy Dick Douglas

Post by Scummy Dick Douglas »

dc4azcats wrote:
cat77 wrote:
azpenguin wrote:

First off, and this was mentioned on the other site by Scheer, losing Dwight Melvin for the year due to academic issues was a huge loss and is why Zellers ended up getting PT instead of red shirting. Lots of folks were saying that the light came on for Melvin and was ready to make a big leap. He will get that chance next season to make the leap.

Sani the poly kid who came back from his mission this past summer will definitely be in the mix as well with a full year of coaching and S&C under his belt.

Worthy has another year as well then you have a bunch of young guys who are getting coached up and getting stronger by red shirting in Calvin Allen, Jack Banda, Luca Bruno, Marcus Griffin (listed at 6'2 300 and red shirting) then add in Williams who nobody really knows what his situation will be but he's been posting videos as if he's coming in and will be ready to go. Getting him on campus in January will help big time as he will go through Spring practice and have 9 months of S&C under his belt.

Catinfl mentioned on the other sight that Reggie Gilbert might have a strong case for another year which would further strengthen our DL. We're getting there and we're closer than you think. Look at Scooby Wright and the jump he made from LY to TY and he gives a ton of credit to Fischer and Flowers for constantly giving him pointers and insight.

Now look at our DL and where do the guys on the DL go to get the knowledge from guys who have played the position LY or 2 years ago? Our first year in the D was a waste because we were going from a 4 man front to a 3 man front and our guys didn't have a clue as to what they were doing. Last year Tui and Hood graduate just as they were getting the hang of how to play in this D. So the 2 guys who could've really helped in schooling the young guys are gone and we're back to square one in a sense. Worthy is in his first year in this D, Zellers the same. Pettinato is a senior but for the first time is finally healthy and getting meaningful minutes but will be gone after this season. Gilbert, same as Pettinato. Once we get some consistency and guys being in the system and playing together for an entire season not just a couple of games, you will see the DL make some big strides.
So you do understand that teams and players change from year to year...
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

Scummy Dick Douglas wrote:
dc4azcats wrote:
cat77 wrote:
azpenguin wrote:

So you do understand that teams and players change from year to year...
I do but matchups and schemes play a big roll as well. We've had Utah's number the last 2 seasons mainly because I think we have a better scheme offensively with much more balance between running and passing. On D we've proven that we can shut them down in regards to running the ball effectively and TY that becomes magnified with their lack of ability to complete a forward pass.

Ucla and Mora seem to have our number and I'm sure that it irks RR to no end. We've beaten Oregon 2 years in a row and you could argue that we don't match-up with them on either side of the ball talent wise LY or TY and really have no business beating them and yet we have - two years in a row.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

Machina wrote:
UALoco wrote:Arizona fans are so typical talking about Bball so early...hate that. I don't watch bball until after New Years...
This type of attitude from fans does not help keeping RR at Arizona
Winning big would change that. Until then...
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Talking about going to a FF with an improved line-up in basketball is more exciting the debating whether we are going to be in the Vegas, Hunger, or Sun bowls.
Machina

Post by Machina »

CalStateTempe wrote:Talking about going to a FF with an improved line-up in basketball is more exciting the debating whether we are going to be in the Vegas, Hunger, or Sun bowls.
Maybe, but this team can still go to a New Years Bowl or Alamo.

I would trade 2 national titles in basketball for a Football Playoff Appearance in a second.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Don't forget Sharif Williams who was class of 2014 but got injured and grayshirted, gets here in January.

6'2" 300
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Machina wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:Talking about going to a FF with an improved line-up in basketball is more exciting the debating whether we are going to be in the Vegas, Hunger, or Sun bowls.
Maybe, but this team can still go to a New Years Bowl or Alamo.

I would trade 2 national titles in basketball for a Football Playoff Appearance in a second.
And I sure as hell would not/ :o
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Machina wrote:

What does this comment mean? First, we don't have 2 national titles to trade.

Second, you'd sacrifice a championship for an appearance?

Third. I don't like you, nor the things you think and write.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I would trade 2 NCs in baseball or softball for a Rose Bowl appearance.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Yeah, I agree with that Merkin, but in basketball...Get out of town.

And I historically, if I had to choose, would follow FB before BB. But the Miller Era, especially the last two season, has changed that.

Part of that might be that my wife will watch BB games with me and get into it, follow players, pick up on things that I miss due to blind fandom, whereas watching FB remains, largely a solitary affair.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

CalStateTempe wrote:And I historically, if I had to choose, would follow FB before BB. But the Miller Era, especially the last two season, has changed that.
I'm big into both of them. I never got the "well, it's almost basketball season" bit. I love going to the stadium, even when the team has been down. I like having a whole week to pick a game apart. Basketball will be going for three months after football is done, and that's when it's getting into conference play which is where things really start getting interesting. Whatever the bowl game is, hey, it's another football game and I'd rather have a lower tier bowl than no more football.

But this season isn't over yet. If either UCLA or USC loses, and the team that loses beats the other in the battle for LA, then Arizona goes to the Pac-12 title game by winning out. Still a lot of football left. (And I think UCLA is going to lose one, and beat SC.)
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azpenguin wrote: I'm big into both of them.
Same here. I watch every single FB and BB game. Have not watched another UA sport in years, going back to when the UA softball team had awfully good looking players.
Machina

Post by Machina »

CalStateTempe wrote:Yeah, I agree with that Merkin, but in basketball...Get out of town.

And I historically, if I had to choose, would follow FB before BB. But the Miller Era, especially the last two season, has changed that.

Part of that might be that my wife will watch BB games with me and get into it, follow players, pick up on things that I miss due to blind fandom, whereas watching FB remains, largely a solitary affair.
Just my personal preference. U of A has a very rich history even without the 1997 title. College football is so much bigger than college basketball and football is much more of a community and experience than basketball in my opinion.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

Your opinion sucks as usual.

But hey, Arcadia is better than McKale on game days, so at least you have that.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Machina wrote: I would trade 2 national titles in basketball for a Football Playoff Appearance in a second.
This type of attitude from fans does not help keep Sean Miller at Arizona. Fortunately there do not appear to be many (any?) who care to join you on your solitary island.

It's loser talk; you must not ba able to relate to a program Like UA BB that represents years of superiority and dominance. You'll have to adopt a new program in a few years when FB is a consistent contender and you can no longer relate to that program either.

People who don't fully support BOTH programs aren't real Cats. Coaches Rodriguez and Miller are pulling the rope in the same direction... Too bad all our fans can't do the same.
cat77

Post by cat77 »

dc4azcats wrote:
cat77 wrote:
azpenguin wrote:

Thanks DC. What I was really hoping to see was some size waiting in the wings. Looks like we have that. If I remember correctly Sani is a big kid as well as Williams. Hope Williams is coming along nicely from his leg injury in high school.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

cat77 wrote:

Ugh....
Yeah we're not done on the DL. Also Kendal Franklin is going to play LB at Arizona. Look out for Timmy Hamilton and Raequan Williams.
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

catinfl wrote:
cat77 wrote:

Ugh....
Yeah we're not done on the DL. Also Kendal Franklin is going to play LB at Arizona. Look out for Timmy Hamilton and Raequan Williams.
I'd absolutely love adding Raequan, but isn't he a heavy lean to Mich. State now that they offered?
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Harvey Specter wrote:
Machina wrote: I would trade 2 national titles in basketball for a Football Playoff Appearance in a second.
This type of attitude from fans does not help keep Sean Miller at Arizona. Fortunately there do not appear to be many (any?) who care to join you on your solitary island.

It's loser talk; you must not ba able to relate to a program Like UA BB that represents years of superiority and dominance. You'll have to adopt a new program in a few years when FB is a consistent contender and you can no longer relate to that program either.

People who don't fully support BOTH programs aren't real Cats. Coaches Rodriguez and Miller are pulling the rope in the same direction... Too bad all our fans can't do the same.
Summed up my thoughts nicely. Bandwagons are such comfortable places, aren't they?
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Machina

Post by Machina »

Puerco wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:

Summed up my thoughts nicely. Bandwagons are such comfortable places, aren't they?
I am pretty sure I support both programs to a very good degree. Just saying that football titles mean a lot and preferring football titles more than basketball ones is not loser talk.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

TuiTouchdown wrote:
catinfl wrote:
cat77 wrote:

Ugh....
I'd absolutely love adding Raequan, but isn't he a heavy lean to Mich. State now that they offered?
I wouldn't say he's a lean. We have the family factor and they have their pedigree with putting lineman in the NFL. If Raequan values PT early he'll come here.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

catinfl wrote:
TuiTouchdown wrote:
catinfl wrote:
cat77 wrote:

Ugh....
I wouldn't say he's a lean. We have the family factor and they have their pedigree with putting lineman in the NFL. If Raequan values PT early he'll come here.
Family Factor?
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Yeah we're not done on the DL. Also Kendal Franklin is going to play LB at Arizona. Look out for Timmy Hamilton and Raequan Williams.[/quote]

I'd absolutely love adding Raequan, but isn't he a heavy lean to Mich. State now that they offered?[/quote]

I wouldn't say he's a lean. We have the family factor and they have their pedigree with putting lineman in the NFL. If Raequan values PT early he'll come here.[/quote]
Family Factor?[/quote]

He has family in Tucson and apparently the parents are pushing for us. So we'll see. He plans to drag his recruitment on for awhile. He's playing basketball for his school so we won't know more until he starts officially visiting.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

catinfl wrote:
cat77 wrote:

Ugh....
In case everyone not aware... Raequan Williams top 5 - Mich St, Arizona, Iowa, Oregon and Missouri. Williams said last week "All the schools are really even right now". Wants to take all his officials and then make a decision (If he can). Some difficulty because of distance and some of his games on Saturdays.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

catinfl wrote:Yeah we're not done on the DL. Also Kendal Franklin is going to play LB at Arizona. Look out for Timmy Hamilton and Raequan Williams.
I'd absolutely love adding Raequan, but isn't he a heavy lean to Mich. State now that they offered?[/quote]

I wouldn't say he's a lean. We have the family factor and they have their pedigree with putting lineman in the NFL. If Raequan values PT early he'll come here.[/quote]
Family Factor?[/quote]

He has family in Tucson and apparently the parents are pushing for us. So we'll see. He plans to drag his recruitment on for awhile. He's playing basketball for his school so we won't know more until he starts officially visiting.[/quote]
Oh Cool I had no clue. Lets hope that RR rushes that in our favor. Its a good sign that his parents are Bearing Down! That would be a huge get! Dude is MASSIVE to steal that from the Basketball subforum!
gumby

Post by gumby »

You should try to catch that Duke game from last year. And Michigan and San Diego State. Florida ... Lyons at the buzzer. You missed that? Bummer.

We're 3-0 against Vegas, Reno and San Antone. Blew out one of them. Makes it easier to get to 8-5 or 9-4. Would rather RR tested the team against real opponents, even if it means a loss.
Right where I want to be.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Speaking of the D line. I'm looking forward to seeing Marcus Griffin in action next year. Glad we've saved him so far this year

Jamarde Cobb and Marquis Ware...we're waiting for you! Thinking Cobb is going to take Tui's spot, as me moves to the D line. Is Ware to big for the spur? Tezino would be perfect for the Spur if we can get him
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

What happened with Jerod Cody & Sani Fuimaono?
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Isn't Ware going to be a DE? I thought that was the last thing said.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

3goggles wrote:What happened with Jerod Cody & Sani Fuimaono?
Cody had to give up football. (Concussion issues)
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

3goggles wrote:What happened with Jerod Cody & Sani Fuimaono?
Sani is playing now. Saw him in the last game. He will be a factor next year. another year in the weight room to get stronger.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

OSUCat wrote:Isn't Ware going to be a DE? I thought that was the last thing said.
No idea really. Wouldn't be surprised if he was. Have a little speed and power off the edge. Tui just looks like he's going to continue to grow into a DE

Smothers is also starting to see the field, so he should be more involved this and next year