2020 Season Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azgreg

Re: 2020 Season Thread

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote:You’re all very tough. And manly.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Alieberman wrote:As someone who was discussing these topics and disagreeing with Choo on several points, I never thought he was being a selfish prick and I thought we had a respectful back and forth.

This name calling bullshit is not helpful.
Agree, it isn't helpful at all
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
I'd prefer to be called pretty honestly Chi. Also did you just assume our genders?
I've known some very manly women. Even a few who would have been proud to be called as such.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
I'd prefer to be called pretty honestly Chi. Also did you just assume our genders?
I've known some very manly women. Even a few who would have been proud to be called as such.
I'm with it bud.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Nope... these young men are not seen as commodities.

If this is true....
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

^They also need some mask etiquette training.
Chicat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
My gay cousin when she married her fiancé wore a tux, and her spouse wore a traditional wedding dress. Wasn't invited, but the wedding looked very cool and lots of fun.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Alieberman wrote:Nope... these young men are not seen as commodities.

If this is true....
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Media trying to make stories instead of report the stories
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

This seems bad.

Parker said previously that there were no positive COVID-19 tests for athletes as of July 20. That number spiked to 16, including 11 football players, as of Sunday.

Players and staff confirmed there were 27 players, about a quarter of the team, missing due to COVID-19 at the last practice July 29 before the university voluntarily paused practices.

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Keep in mind that this is Addazio's first year at CSU. With new regime brings players that will fall out of favor and ones that will be favored as well as any staffers that were held on from the previous regime. There's 10000000 reasons to try to throw a new regime under the bus. There's also 10000000 reasons now to prioritize your own health and throw a bad regime under the bus. This literally could go any way and would explain the mixed results from players.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ChooChooCat wrote:Keep in mind that this is Addazio's first year at CSU. With new regime brings players that will fall out of favor and ones that will be favored as well as any staffers that were held on from the previous regime. There's 10000000 reasons to try to throw a new regime under the bus. There's also 10000000 reasons now to prioritize your own health and throw a bad regime under the bus. This literally could go any way and would explain the mixed results from players.
Well said Choo!

Such good words out of such a pretty person.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

It would be good if there was some oversight from the NCAA here. Earn those billions they rake in.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Merkin wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Keep in mind that this is Addazio's first year at CSU. With new regime brings players that will fall out of favor and ones that will be favored as well as any staffers that were held on from the previous regime. There's 10000000 reasons to try to throw a new regime under the bus. There's also 10000000 reasons now to prioritize your own health and throw a bad regime under the bus. This literally could go any way and would explain the mixed results from players.
Well said Choo!

Such good words out of such a pretty person.
;) :lol:
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Chicat wrote:It would be good if there was some oversight from the NCAA here. Earn those billions they rake in.
The NCAA is too busy building up that case against Sean Miller
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Especially since the Rams hiring of Addazio is the most underwhelming and unwelcomed HC hires going into this coming season.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

CatsbyAZ wrote:
Especially since the Rams hiring of Addazio is the most underwhelming and unwelcomed HC hires going into this coming season.
Oh yeah for sure. Both Colorado schools made awful hires
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

No surprise in small college ball.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

drip, drip, drip
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Alrighty then.

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

It is what it is.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Chicat wrote:
Anyone else suspect UConn's coaching staff gladly caved in? Or even lobbied behind the scenes to take the season off? The pandemic as an excuse allows Edsall & Co to extend their flailing employment into another season while getting paid for doing nothing this season. We'll see how a roster handles missing a whole season, but this might implode a shallow UConn program that's already at risk of extinction thanks to under-attended games, bad season after bad season, and ADs losing sleep over CTE liability. Edsall built UConn football and now he might be tearing it down.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Merkin wrote:Alrighty then.

There is no context (or information) in this article as to how the UCLA players contracted the virus. Did they show up for fall practice with the virus??? Did they contract it at the campus while working out???

One could easily make the case that the football players are better off in the controlled atmosphere of a college athletic department than they are living unsupervised by themselves. How many people here really believe that these kids have all been scrupulously quarantining themselves at home and not seeing friends (and girlfriends)?? Just judging from what I have observed in East Mesa/Gilbert over the past 4 months most Pre-21 year olds have been hanging out non-stop with their friends while NOT practicing social distancing/using masks or taking any other precautions.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

It doesn't matter where they got it. You can't hope to have a football season if everyone is getting sick. It just can't happen. This season just needs to be cancelled now.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

dmjcat wrote:
One could easily make the case that the football players are better off in the controlled atmosphere of a college athletic department than they are living unsupervised by themselves. How many people here really believe that these kids have all been scrupulously quarantining themselves at home and not seeing friends (and girlfriends)?? Just judging from what I have observed in East Mesa/Gilbert over the past 4 months most Pre-21 year olds have been hanging out non-stop with their friends while NOT practicing social distancing/using masks or taking any other precautions.
How do you see this playing out when they get into the “controlled atmosphere” of college campuses? They aren’t going to be quarantined inside some kind of NBA bubble.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Especially the athletes who never miss the Star Pass Pool Party.

dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:
dmjcat wrote:
How do you see this playing out when they get into the “controlled atmosphere” of college campuses? They aren’t going to be quarantined inside some kind of NBA bubble.
Do you really believe that they are quarantined in some sort of bubble outside of college campuses???

At least in college the coaches can enforce social distancing/mask wearing while they under their supervision.

If they aren't in college many are likely to be attending one of Merkins Pool parties :lol:
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Whoosh

Just judging from what I have observed in Tucson and with my family and the entire world around me, most post-50 year olds have been hanging out non-stop with their friends and strangers while NOT practicing social distancing/using masks or taking any other precautions.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Merkin wrote:Especially the athletes who never miss the Star Pass Pool Party.

Never opine against our best recruiting tool sir. Even if you have a point, how dare you!
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

CatsbyAZ wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Anyone else suspect UConn's coaching staff gladly caved in? Or even lobbied behind the scenes to take the season off? The pandemic as an excuse allows Edsall & Co to extend their flailing employment into another season while getting paid for doing nothing this season. We'll see how a roster handles missing a whole season, but this might implode a shallow UConn program that's already at risk of extinction thanks to under-attended games, bad season after bad season, and ADs losing sleep over CTE liability. Edsall built UConn football and now he might be tearing it down.
Not speaking anything for Edsall, but the move to the Big East and leaving the football program on an independent island was never going to work long term. I think they go down to FCS in a matter of years if this move didn't accelerate it to light speed.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

dmjcat wrote:
ByJoveByJingle wrote:
dmjcat wrote:
Do you really believe that they are quarantined in some sort of bubble outside of college campuses???

At least in college the coaches can enforce social distancing/mask wearing while they under their supervision.

If they aren't in college many are likely to be attending one of Merkins Pool parties :lol:
The coaches can’t enforce social distancing and mask wearing. A lot of the kids don’t live in the dorms and none of them are in the coaches’ presence 24/7.

The only advantage that comes with being involved with sports is the frequent testing.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Chicat wrote:
dmjcat wrote:
ByJoveByJingle wrote:
dmjcat wrote:

The coaches can’t enforce social distancing and mask wearing. A lot of the kids don’t live in the dorms and none of them are in the coaches’ presence 24/7.

The only advantage that comes with being involved with sports is the frequent testing.
Wrong.

Between breakfast/lunch/dinner/putting on pads/practice/weight training/studying game film, the players are spending at least as much time with the coaches as they are in the classroom.

Bottom line, a college football player with some daily supervision, and testing as you pointed out, is better off than being in a situation with little or no supervision and no testing.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

dmjcat wrote:
Chicat wrote:
dmjcat wrote:
ByJoveByJingle wrote:
dmjcat wrote:

Wrong.

Between breakfast/lunch/dinner/putting on pads/practice/weight training/studying game film, the players are spending at least as much time with the coaches as they are in the classroom.

Bottom line, a college football player with some daily supervision, and testing as you pointed out, is better off than being in a situation with little or no supervision and no testing.
Except for the fact that by the time they test positive it's too late because they've been with their teammates, coaches, training staff, etc. at breakfast/lunch/dinner/putting on pads/practice/weight training/studying game film, and in the classroom. You can't enforce physical distance while practicing a contact sport. You can't enforce mask wearing while people are eating. You also don't know what's happening with masks and distancing in the hours they aren't on campus.

Putting a bunch of people together, especially in a contact sport setting, is a recipe for spreading the virus. The only thing in question is how much risk the schools are willing to take on to have that sport happen. I'm guessing the answer to that will be different depending on the school.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

dmjcat wrote:
Wrong.

Not sure what your college experience was like, but I didn’t spend a lot of time wrestling, breathing heavily on and showering with large sweaty men.
prh

Post by prh »

This is super convenient for UConn, who really needs to completely shutter their football program, but could never get away with that from a PR standpoint in normal times. That program loses millions every year, it's impossible to run any department like that.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

prh wrote:This is super convenient for UConn, who really needs to completely shutter their football program, but could never get away with that from a PR standpoint in normal times. That program loses millions every year, it's impossible to run any department like that.
Agree. In almost all facets of having a football program they are behind the curve. The stadium is outdated, the fan attendance is abysmal, the local interest is bought off by NY/Boston pro sports, the team stinks, recruiting is in the tank, and on and on. UConn dropped from AAC to indy, and from there I expected an eventual drop to FCS. Now UConn might just be better off dropping football altogether and it's hard to disagree.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:
dmjcat wrote:
Wrong.

Not sure what your college experience was like, but I didn’t spend a lot of time wrestling, breathing heavily on and showering with large sweaty men.
So you weren’t in a frat?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:
dmjcat wrote:
Wrong.

There is a reason why large gatherings are banned... they are super spreaders.... this is a fact.

Why would a locker room full of many dudes be any different? It is utterly stupid to think so.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

:shock:
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

So Winger was Scheer? Sounds to me like he was backing Doyle as to his frustration with the situation
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

What an asshole.

Too bad you can’t pick your parents.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Big Sky delayed football until spring.

Alieberman wrote:
ByJoveByJingle wrote:
dmjcat wrote:
Wrong.

There is a reason why large gatherings are banned... they are super spreaders.... this is a fact.

Why would a locker room full of many dudes be any different? It is utterly stupid to think so.
100+ people in the meeting room too.

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Players all over the country are starting to opt out of the season too. 6 at UNC today. Purdue's star RB Rondale Moore who will be a junior this year opted out to focus on the NFL draft next April. Even if the season isn't cancelled tons of the junior and senior stars won't be playing.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Uh oh
"Today, we learned of some extremely troubling allegations of racism and verbal abuse from CSU's athletic administration generally and in the football program specifically.

Colorado State University is committed to being an anti-racist university, and we will not tolerate any behavior or climate that goes against that core value. Moreover, CSU Athletics is committed to the health and well-being of student-athletes above all other priorities, and this includes their mental health. We believe it is our responsibility to make sure that all student-athletes feel welcomed and valued as members of an inclusive athletics community.

I have consulted with President McConnell about these new allegations, which obviously deeply concern her as well. Effective immediately, and for the best interests of our student-athletes, I am pausing all football-related activities indefinitely. This includes practices, workouts, and team meetings. I have also asked President McConnell to expand the independent investigation she announced on Tuesday to include a comprehensive review of our athletic department and football program specifically related to allegations of racism and verbal abuse. While we have been working hard towards playing football this fall, the holistic well-being of our student-athletes is our unequivocal top priority. We must and will address these allegations before we focus on playing football."
-JB
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
azgreg

Post by azgreg »