THE Utah Utes Discussion & Predictions Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Merkin

THE Utah Utes Discussion & Predictions Thread

Post by Merkin »

UAEebs86

Re: THE Utah Utes Discussion & Predictions Thread

Post by UAEebs86 »

Like the early kickoff - think that will benefit the 'Cats.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Dammit
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I figure Utah will be favored by just a couple points
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

I expect this game to be a blood bath. There are going to be bodies all over the place. This will be one of the hardest hitting games of the year.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Utah wins this one by double digits.
Anu does his usual first half disappearance and Utah gets up early and stays ahead.

It's time for the usual AZ choke.

The only bigger choke possible would be to be Utah, have ucla beat usc, then the next week to have furd beat ucla...only to have us lose to ASsU. But I doubt it gets to that.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

illcat

Post by illcat »

Gladiator Cat wrote:I expect this game to be a blood bath. There are going to be bodies all over the place. This will be one of the hardest hitting games of the year.
After watching utah and furd it is not going to be a game for the squeamish. Utah takes the Cats lunch money and shoes.
I mean I am not complaining but it must suck for good ugly girls.
--Officer Craig

You'll forgive DW99, he's used to the methed-out slores in Tempe ...
--Reydituto
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

I am looking forward to this game. I am not worried as much as other games and it is not likely that Utah offense goes for 28 points against Arizona. I really doubt that the offense will keep sputtering the rest of the season, and it's not a typical choke situation. Outside of long throws (will Arizona be unbeatable next year if he can hit these?) Anu really needs to keep some of the read options for himself. I saw a handful of time where he could have ran for ten instead of wilson for 2.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Arizona wins with potent kicking game.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Utah's special teams are key. There punter (yes the punter) is amazing. Dude can dictate field position like no other guy I have seen. Dick Tomey has yo love him.

That return guy is a real weapon and there FG kicker only misses in the state of Arizona it seems.

I have no idea of how we will win but I think we get our offense untracked for the first time since Wazzu and put up 30+
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

OSUCat wrote:I am looking forward to this game. I am not worried as much as other games and it is not likely that Utah offense goes for 28 points against Arizona. I really doubt that the offense will keep sputtering the rest of the season, and it's not a typical choke situation. Outside of long throws (will Arizona be unbeatable next year if he can hit these?) Anu really needs to keep some of the read options for himself. I saw a handful of time where he could have ran for ten instead of wilson for 2.
I think some of that is the nagging ankle injury. Scheer also tweeted looking back it looked like he didn't plant as well as he normally could because of the ankle.
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

azcat49 wrote:Utah's special teams are key. There punter (yes the punter) is amazing. Dude can dictate field position like no other guy I have seen. Dick Tomey has yo love him.

That return guy is a real weapon and there FG kicker only misses in the state of Arizona it seems.

I have no idea of how we will win but I think we get our offense untracked for the first time since Wazzu and put up 30+
I think we have to get the tempo going and get 30+, hard to see us winning another meatgrinder on the road. P.s. While the daytime kick is everything we could ask for, it does look like there will be a very good chance of rain that day, which isn't ideal.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Utah just went up against Stanford for an overtime game and those two beat the hell out of each other. That could end up being a factor. Arizona needs to find some drives to keep the defense off the field for a little while. The Cats have shown all year that they're well conditioned, and they'll need it with the extra 2000 feet of elevation.

The daytime start is a good thing in that it won't be quite as cold as it would be at say 7:30 at night; still chilly at 1:30 but not as bad as it could be. FWIW, the weather is looking to be pretty similar to what it was last time the Cats went to Salt Lake. I don't know that the weather favors either team really. Travis Wilson shows flashes of doing good things but he's never been consistent. He's a gamer, though. The Utes can run the ball pretty well and Booker has had a knack for breaking long ones. Arizona will need to get the passing game going, especially the short passing game, and if it gets wet out that could be a factor. If they can't establish the run and they can't hit the short routes then this could be a long day.

Special teams is... interesting. Utah is a threat to return anything for a TD with Kaelin Clay. They've allowed one return TD all year, which was Adoree Jackson of USC breaking a kickoff return. The Cats have 2 returns, both against Wazzu, although one of those was the freak onside return by Cayleb Jones. The Cats haven't allowed any return TDs this year. Utah has had solid punting all year with Hackett, who is third in the nation and leads the conference... but Arizona has as well. Riggleman is second in the Pac-12 and seventh nationally. Riggleman's rugby kicks were carrying really well yesterday. They're better at FGs but Skowron has to be feeling a lot more confident after yesterday. While this one could come down to special teams, I don't know that it will, and if it does it will likely be the field position battle instead of FGs.

Utah has been a sack machine this year, which could pose some problems for Arizona, since Solomon has had some trouble throwing under pressure these last few games. They've been averaging over 4 sacks a game in conference play. (Interestingly, if you remove the UCLA game from both teams' stats, Utah has 21 sacks in the other six conference games and AZ has 17. They had 10 sacks against UCLA.) I'm not seeing good things from the O-line against the good defensive fronts this year, so there's cause for concern. Both teams do about as well as the other at protecting the QB. Turnovers are an area where AZ has done a bit better; they're +6 in conference while the Utes are +3. The Cats force more turnovers and if the ball gets slippery, some fumbles may find their way into the stats.

I think RR learned a few things against UCLA and while it wasn't always apparent, they did some good things against UW that they couldn't do against the Bruins. (That third TD was a genius playcall.) Also, he's done really well scheming against Whittingham's D-lines. If Solomon and the receivers get in sync this could be a solid win. However, while Arizona doesn't get rattled, Utah specializes in winning ugly. This is a game I had pegged as a win for AZ going into the season, but I've been impressed at Utah so far this year. I will call this at Utah 27, AZ 20 and I hope to hell I'm wrong (which has been known to happen.)
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Utah open at -3.5 and UCLA OPENS at -3 against USC. Remember we have to be bruin fans this week
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

This'll be an uphill battle from the get-go.

As usual UA will start slowly before needing a big 2nd half to keep up and hope Utah pulls some Cal/Washington level blunders to give us a shot. Considering that Utah's defense is much better, and that Utah is a mentally tough team, Saturday has the makings of a long day.

If we start out trading punches I like UA's chances.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Weather is supposed to be about 35-40 degrees for kickoff with scattered showers and mixed frozen crap.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

scumdevils86 wrote:Weather is supposed to be about 35-40 degrees for kickoff with scattered showers and mixed frozen crap.
I wonder if UA v. Utah will outdraw UW v. UA?

That is just miserable weather for anything.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Merkin wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:Weather is supposed to be about 35-40 degrees for kickoff with scattered showers and mixed frozen crap.
I wonder if UA v. Utah will outdraw UW v. UA?

That is just miserable weather for anything.

Not a chance. With a max capacity of 45,807 it'd have to be a standing room only affair to get even close to the UA/UW draw.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Sucks, but that's gonna be cold and miserable for both teams. Utah might be up in colder country but they practice indoors so I don't know that they'll have much of an advantage over AZ with the weather. Boston College comes from a cold climate but Arizona dominated them in 35 degree weather. We'll see how the Cats can handle that again.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Still think this is a good game to throw Randall out there. Utah seems to have an issue defending the zone read and Randall would be a true threat.

If it is wet and slippery he might be a good option at some point for a few series.
Last edited by azcat49 on Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Good chance of snow actually now that I look more.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

scumdevils86 wrote:Good chance of snow actually now that I look more.
Nice. Wunderground is predicting 80+% chance of rain and snow towards the end of the game or after.

http://www.wunderground.com/q/zmw:84101.1.99999
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

azcat49 wrote:Still think this is a good game to throw Randall out there. Utah seems to have an issue defending the zone read and Randall would be a true threat.

If it is wet and slippery he might be a good option at some point for a few series.
Agree. If the conditions are going to be that bad then you need to be able to run the ball and Anu is not going to be able to do that. Should be interesting to see what RR and company come up with.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

I don't know. Do you guys really see him trying anything new or mixing it up? We've seen one Randall wildcat play that I can remember a couple of game ago. For naught and not to be tried again.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Has Randall "got it" yet? I recall him saying that trying to learn RR's playbook is the hardest thing he has ever had to do. There is a reason why Anu redshirted last year.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

BearDown89 wrote:I don't know. Do you guys really see him trying anything new or mixing it up? We've seen one Randall wildcat play that I can remember a couple of game ago. For naught and not to be tried again.
without an injury, no, I don't see him mixing it up at this point in the season. Anu is his guy.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Running the ball. I think Arizona needs to find ways to improve in this area for next 3 games. Especially the next two. I know there have been injuries but the end result is the same. Rushing has been so key to RichRod's teams over his career. I've posted his record when his teams rush for under 100yds/game and under 150/game. They're bleak.

Yes, he adjusts to the skill of his QB but can't rely on Solomon passing 70+ times a game which he has done twice TY. Balance breaks down, so does the threat options toward opposing defenses. I really don't care much which position the rushing yards gets produced from.

Keep in mind Arizona has a WINNING record. A good one thus far. I'm not complaining. I'm just referencing for rest of season. I believe opposing defenses are concentrating on stopping our run game, putting pressure on Solomon to put it all on the freshman QB. Yes, O-Line, injuries etc. Remember preseason so many of us talking (and media writing) how worried staff was about RB position. If not just for depth.

TY Rushing stats:
Non-con games att-yds 130-805 - 6.2ypp
Conference gms att-yds 270-1050 - 3.9ypp (COL game inflates this number)
ALL games att-yds 400-1855 - 4.6ypp

Conf Play Rushing:
CAL 32-107 3.3
ORE 55-208 3.8
USC 29-77 2.7 L
WAZZU 36-157 4.4
UCLA 31-80 2.6 L
COL 47-288 6.1
WASH 40-133 3.3

Rich Rod Teams Rushing Stats over his Career:
2014 4.6 #46
2013 5.3 #11 647-3444 W season record
2012 5.4 #15 544-2961 W
2010 5.9 #13 556-3101 W
2009 4.5 #25 494-2234 L season record
2008 3.9 #59 453-1771 L
2007 6.2 #3 628-3864 W
2006 6.7 #2 590-3939 W
2005 5.2 #4 625-3269 W
2004 5.1 #7 590-3034 W
2003 4.6 #13 600-2762 W
2002 5.2 #2 714-3687 W
2001 4.2 #36 475-1992 L

Sorted by yards per play avg. (the #number is where team ranked nationally y/p/g)
2006 6.7 #2 590-3939 W season record
2007 6.2 #3 628-3864 W
2010 5.9 #13 556-3101 W
2012 5.4 #15 544-2961 W
2013 5.3 #11 647-3444 W
2002 5.2 #2 714-3687 W
2005 5.2 #4 625-3269 W
2004 5.1 #7 590-3034 W
2003 4.6 #13 600-2762 W
2014 4.6 #46
2009 4.5 #25 494-2234 L season record
2001 4.2 #36 475-1992 L
2008 3.9 #59 453-1771 L

I think it's phenomenal that this likely be the 2nd "worst" ranked rushing team in RR's history (y/p/g) AND have such a good record.
Last edited by RazorsEdgeAZ on Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Machina

Post by Machina »

So amped for this game. Reminder if you are in Phoenix, K O'Donnell's is the place to be for this game and there will be a raffle for two lower level Gonzaga basketball tickets.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Machina wrote:So amped for this game. Reminder if you are in Phoenix, K O'Donnell's is the place to be for this game and there will be a raffle for two lower level Gonzaga basketball tickets.
oh no...
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Going for some popcorn. BRB...
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
BearDown89 wrote:I don't know. Do you guys really see him trying anything new or mixing it up? We've seen one Randall wildcat play that I can remember a couple of game ago. For naught and not to be tried again.
without an injury, no, I don't see him mixing it up at this point in the season. Anu is his guy.
That's where I'm at with RR. We've had 3 seasons of speculation that RR's going to do this for a few games and then he's going to do that, and then he's going to open up the play book and put this guy in. Multiple QBs will get reps over the early games, blah, blah, blah.

Bottom line is that RR sticks to his program and keeps things pretty simple and vanilla. I suppose that's a talent level/readiness thing. We heard all sorts of pre-season hype about all these creative ways the staff was going to get Neal the ball, they'd find a way to get Randall on the field because he was too talented to keep on the sidelines. There was shifty speed, talent and deception everywhere. I was expecting an offensive chaos of jet sweeps, wildcat packages and reverses to complement the deep WR corps that no one would be able to match up against with the trusty up-tempo zone read at the foundation of it all. A red zone nightmare. How would I keep track of it all?! Oh the trusty up-tempo zone read, where have you gone, what has become of you? The playcalling is between the tackles on the ground and quick to the sidelines through the air for the most part. The word predictable has been uttered and it hasn't felt very explosive in quite some time.

I know. I know. Injuries. Lots of bum ankles to go around this year. Offensive line struggles, etc. The talented but still RS Frosh QB and young players all around. Nonetheless, the Cats are 8-2. These kids play hard, they don't give up and they're well-conditioned and coached. Winning close in year 3. Finding a way where teams under previous regimes wouldn't have.

I'm not too worried about Travis "Alligator-Arms-Passer" Wilson beating us. Booker on the other hand can gash us badly if we don't find a way to contain him. The Utes will be a tough out at their place - they've been impressive thus far. The D needs to just keep doing what it's been doing and the offense must find a spark.
Good For You

Post by Good For You »

Good take on Neal. I've come to the conclusion that Davonte Neal is really just Bug Wright trolling us, but I digress.

edit: I'm an idiot. same thing already put out there about Randall.
Last edited by Good For You on Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Not surprised all that much about Devonte Neal, but what happened to Austin Hill? He has less than half the pass completions of 2012, with 1/3 the TDs.

Is he not fully recovered?

None of the WRs get the separation I thought they would, especially with S Grant and T Johnson being the fastest guys on the field.

Go Nick Wilson!!!
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Going to need to run the ball vs.Utah
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

Hopefully the offense can pick it up, its becoming extremely predictable. If not, I don't see Arizona going to SLC and getting a win.
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

Merkin wrote:Not surprised all that much about Devonte Neal, but what happened to Austin Hill? He has less than half the pass completions of 2012, with 1/3 the TDs.

None of the WRs get the separation I thought they would, especially with S Grant and T Johnson being the fastest guys on the field.
I wonder if this has more to do with the lack of variety of routes that we run. I get the sense that we keep things pretty simple, so if the opposing team scouts us well enough, they can anticipate the possible routes and blanket our guys. I almost fell out of my chair when Anu hit Grant on the post pattern against CU.....need more of that in order to keep the CB's honest on those deep fades that we seem to like.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

do you think they're still just keeping it simple for anu to get him through his first year of starting then unleash him next year 100%? I'm hoping that's the case I guess.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

azthrillhouse wrote:
Merkin wrote:Not surprised all that much about Devonte Neal, but what happened to Austin Hill? He has less than half the pass completions of 2012, with 1/3 the TDs.

I wonder if this has more to do with the lack of variety of routes that we run. I get the sense that we keep things pretty simple, so if the opposing team scouts us well enough, they can anticipate the possible routes and blanket our guys. I almost fell out of my chair when Anu hit Grant on the post pattern against CU.....need more of that in order to keep the CB's honest on those deep fades that we seem to like.
I think that's probably part of it, but also Anu's accuracy issues are a part of it as well.

PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

scumdevils86 wrote:do you think they're still just keeping it simple for anu to get him through his first year of starting then unleash him next year 100%? I'm hoping that's the case I guess.
I don't think that's the case.

One thing I've noticed, over the years, is that fans always seem to think coaches holding back the playbook, that there's going to be some magical moment when when the playbook gets opened up and all of these secret weapons get unleashed. Never happens.

Might see some minor tweaks/changes here and there, either within a season or from season to season, but nothing major. I know, people will say "well RR hasn't had the same QB over years yet, so let's see what happens with Anu coming back!" etc etc. I'll be shocked if the play calling looks much different next year.

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:do you think they're still just keeping it simple for anu to get him through his first year of starting then unleash him next year 100%? I'm hoping that's the case I guess.

One thing I've noticed, over the years, is that fans always seem to think coaches holding back the playbook, that there's going to be some magical moment when when the playbook gets opened up and all of these secret weapons get unleashed. Never happens.

Might see some minor tweaks/changes here and there, either within a season or from season to season, but nothing major. I know, people will say "well RR hasn't had the same QB over years yet, so let's see what happens with Anu coming back!" etc etc. I'll be shocked if the play calling looks much different next year.
Agree wholeheartedly here. From what I know about the run-option spread attack, the routes are fairly vanilla for the receivers. What keeps the pressure on the DBs is that with how much the RBs and QB run the ball, they have to always have their eyes in the backfield to come up in run support. That's why that play where Anu runs up to the line and then throws is so deadly. You've got the safeties and cornerbacks crashing in to help stop the run and before they know it a WR is behind them for a big gain.

The other thing to remember is that routes have to be fairly simple because plays don't take long to develop in this system. You're not going to see 5 step drops to allow the WRs to execute pick plays and double moves. It's one step and then go. That's why we also don't throw deep all that often unless it's a designed roll-out. There just isn't enough time for them to get open when the ball is in the air 2 seconds after the snap.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

The front sevens of both UCLA and UW had a lot to do with the performance of the offense in those games. Anu was under pressure a lot of the time and getting the run game going was an uphill battle. The O-line was getting overmatched. We have another ridiculous D-line to face this week. However, let's see how this one goes; we're more similar to Oregon than any other team and Utah couldn't hang as the game went along. You also saw UW start to have trouble in the fourth quarter, and a lot of those holds were because they were having trouble dealing with the Cats' quickness. The weather is going to be a big wildcard. As for Randall, I wonder if RR is seeing enough from him yet to be comfortable giving him the keys for a few series. It might be that he's not there yet, and if that's the case then he'll be out when the coaches feel like he's ready. (Remember last year when everyone was wondering why we hadn't seen Trey Griffey yet... the coaches said they still liked him but they had to work on a few things. They felt he was ready when the Wazzu game hit and he had a good first game.)
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

With the weather being so poor, and Anu with a tweaked ankle I wonder if we will see Randall run a few series? Just keep it on the ground.

Didn't Chuck Levy have a game where he only attempted one pass, and that was to stop the clock? Beat Oregon doing that, 35-10 or something.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Chicat wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:

Agree wholeheartedly here. From what I know about the run-option spread attack, the routes are fairly vanilla for the receivers. What keeps the pressure on the DBs is that with how much the RBs and QB run the ball, they have to always have their eyes in the backfield to come up in run support. That's why that play where Anu runs up to the line and then throws is so deadly. You've got the safeties and cornerbacks crashing in to help stop the run and before they know it a WR is behind them for a big gain.

The other thing to remember is that routes have to be fairly simple because plays don't take long to develop in this system. You're not going to see 5 step drops to allow the WRs to execute pick plays and double moves. It's one step and then go. That's why we also don't throw deep all that often unless it's a designed roll-out. There just isn't enough time for them to get open when the ball is in the air 2 seconds after the snap.
Also the linemen don't always know if the QB is going to hand off, run or throw. They often end up in run blocking by default but they still have to give the QB some time. If the QB throws they're liable to get flagged for ineligible man downfield if they're not careful. This is another factor in keeping it vanilla.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

NWS now says 44 and rain on Saturday. Still miserable.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

A couple notes on the game from the ESPN blog:
Utah's 47 sacks are the most for an FBS team over the first 10 games of a season since at least 2004.
Utah running back Devontae Booker leads the Pac-12 with 133.4 rushing yards per game in conference games. Booker also has the most carries for zero or negative yards (36).

Utah DE Nate Orchard is on pace for 21.5 sacks this season (including a bowl game), which would fall a few shy of Terrell Suggs' NCAA record of 24 in 2002. The NCAA began keeping sacks as an official stat in 2000.

Dating back to 2004, only Arizona State's Andrew Walter (30) and Oregon Marcus Mariota (28) had more touchdown passes than Anu Solomon over their first 10 career games.

Solomon is one of just two quarterbacks in the country (with at least 440 pass attempts) over the past 10 years not to fumble as a result of a sack.
The last note shocked me. Now that the stat is out, ESPN has probably jinxed Anu as we get ready to face 2 of the most aggressive defensive fronts of the year. It also emphasizes that although our offense may have slowed down, they have been great at not turning the ball over.
Machina

Post by Machina »

I have not watched too much of Utah this season, but I remember hearing that while they are very good on the defensive front 7, they are not as big and physical as USC, UCLA or Stanford but play very well and are very fast. Is that accurate? If so, this seams to be a defense the Cats can do well against, a la Oregon.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Machina wrote:I have not watched too much of Utah this season, but I remember hearing that while they are very good on the defensive front 7, they are not as big and physical as USC, UCLA or Stanford but play very well and are very fast. Is that accurate? If so, this seams to be a defense the Cats can do well against, a la Oregon.
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/uta ... 110aaa.pdf

LEFT END
49 Hunter Dimick (6-3, 266, So., 1VL)
85 Greg Reese (6-5, 253, Sr., 1VL)
TACKLE
57 Sese Ianu (6-2, 290, Sr., 1VL)
45 Filipo Mokofi si (6-3, 275, Fr., RS)
NOSE TACKLE
93 Lowell Lotulelei (6-1, 310, Fr., HS)
98 Viliseni Fauonuku (5-11, 285, Jr., 2VL)
RIGHT END
8 Nate Orchard (6-4, 255, Sr., 3VL)
50 Pita Taumoepenu (6-1, 230, So., 1VL)
STUD LINEBACKER
51 Jason Fanaika (6-3, 270, Jr., RS)
52 Hayden Clegg (6-1, 232, So., RS)
MAC LINEBACKER
13 Gionni Paul (5-10, 227, Jr., RS)
58 Marcus Sanders-Williams (5-11, 222, So., 1VL)
ROVER LINEBACKER
41 Jared Norris (6-2, 237, Jr., 2VL)
40 Jacoby Hale (6-0, 230, Sr., 3VL)
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Machina wrote:I have not watched too much of Utah this season, but I remember hearing that while they are very good on the defensive front 7, they are not as big and physical as USC, UCLA or Stanford but play very well and are very fast. Is that accurate? If so, this seams to be a defense the Cats can do well against, a la Oregon.
Their front four may be as good as anyone in the country. As far as front sevens go, Washington probably has a more complete unit especially at linebacker. But Utah has been able to slow a lot of teams down this year. They're very opportunistic on defense and have a knack for getting the timely turnover. Oregon did run away from them after a while but they had to work to get there, so RR is probably looking at the Oregon game film (seeing that our style isn't too far off) and seeing what Utah did right and wrong against them. He's also probably looking at ASU because Utah dragged them through the mud before losing there.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

Utah has one of the best defenses in all of college football. They are a hard hitting, aggressive, tough as nails unit that is as well coached as any in the PAC12.

They aren’t Desert Swarm era kind of good, but they are good enough to beat a hell of a lot of teams in the National Top 25 if their offense is making plays. Utah should have beat both ASSU and WSU.

If the Cats come out of Utah with a win, honestly I will be somewhat surprised. If Utah’s defensive scheme is on point and they sack, disrupt and contain Anu, combined with Booker gashing our front seven for first downs and good gains, which I think he will to some degree.

It will be a long night.

But by no means will we roll over.

This is going to be a hard hitting, who wants it more type of an affair with both teams still playing with a lot on the line. If we win I'm wondering if we will have enough healthy bodies for the following week against the ASSTards!
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Bleacher Report with a look at the odds this weekend.
Why the Arizona Wildcats can cover the spread

Outside of a 17-7 loss November 1 at UCLA, Arizona has won all of its other road games, going 3-0 with a 2-1 mark ATS. The biggest road win for the Wildcats came October 2 at Oregon, as they handed the Ducks their only loss of the season so far 31-24 as 21.5-point underdogs. They also pounded Washington State 59-37 on the road as two-point favorites before losing to the Bruins, which remains their lone setback since losing 28-26 at home October 11 to USC.

Arizona has won the last two meetings with Utah by double digits, including a 34-24 victory at Rice-Eccles Stadium two years ago in a similar spot as a three-point road underdog.

Why the Utah Utes can cover the spread

The Utes suffered a 51-27 home loss to Oregon in their last home game two weeks ago as 9.5-point home underdogs, but they bounced back in a big way last Saturday at Stanford with a 20-17 overtime victory as 10-point road dogs.

The win against the Cardinal showed again how much character and heart this Utes team has, as they were able to score more touchdowns in the OT periods (two) than they did in regulation in a game that went to the first extra session tied at 7-7. Utah is 5-1 ATS in its last six games and 8-2 vs. the line overall this season.