THE Washington Huskies Discussion & Predictions Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Merkin

Re: THE Washington Huskies Discussion & Predictions Thread

Post by Merkin »

Stanford went from 94,000 in 1935 to 50,424 today capacity.

Good For You

Post by Good For You »

Merkin wrote:Stanford went from 94,000 in 1935 to 50,424 today capacity.

That stadium was such a dump. Can't believe they had the Super Bowl there.
Good For You

Post by Good For You »

azcat49 wrote:Smaller stadiums also increase demand that also drives up ticket prices and profitability. We have the lowest ticket prices in the conference at this time and Oregon has the most expensive

I'd like to see us replace all the benches in Arizona Stadium with individual seats which would reduce capacity while making those seats more comfortable. Get our capacity down to about 50k. Win more games, drive up demand, raise ticket prices, make more money.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Love Martin (weather permitting). No bad seats when it's that small.
Right where I want to be.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Good For You wrote:That stadium was such a dump. Can't believe they had the Super Bowl there.
Merkin wrote:94,000
Oh, I can believe it. That's a lot of ticket sales.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

gumby wrote:
dmjcat wrote:Regarding the low attendance I think quite a few of the fans here are missing the obvious issue that Tucson is a minimum wage town. These numbers are dated but I remember reading that the average salary in Tucson was $28,000/yr while the average wage in the East Valley was over $45,000. People in Tucson just don't have the disposable income to drop on a football game. There are a whole host of reasons for the low wages in Tucson (over-regulation, over taxation, open hostility to business) and until they are dealt with (change in politics) many folks will never have the extra cash for football tickets.
The Southeast is a minimum wage region.
Scummy Dick Douglas wrote:
Salty wrote:asu had huge pockets of empty seats against ND.

This is just how college football is now. It's not Arizona, it's the sport in general.
and its the Pac 12 in particular. Fanaticism is not quite the norm in this part of the country.
Exactly.
Tucson is a VERY minimum wage area. The following is an article with a rather depressing statistic regarding Tucson:

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/ ... n-cns.html
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

This is just how college football is now. It's not Arizona, it's the sport in general.
ASU reported attendance was the same as the stadium capacity. I didn't get a look at the crowd on TV. They were charging outrageous prices for those tix and must of made a mint.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Scummy Dick Douglas wrote:
and its the Pac 12 in particular. Fanaticism is not quite the norm in this part of the country.
I guess this is what I'm saying but not as concise or diplomatic, Tucson and the west in general, aren't as fanatical about football and I wish we were. :cry:
cats101

Post by cats101 »

UALoco wrote:

ASU reported attendance was the same as the stadium capacity. I didn't get a look at the crowd on TV. They were charging outrageous prices for those tix and must of made a mint.
Yes one would think that's why, because that game was sold out ages ago and ND actually requested more tickets. Scalpers are so ridiculous these days.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Line is up to -10.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

You know you've made it when you make the game day cartoon. Congrats Scooby!

Javier Morales with his 5 OTBP storylines.

For Jason Bartel's 3 keys he chose Death Cab for Cutie as inspirations and passed on Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Jimi Hendrix, Heart, Macklemore, and Dave Matthews who also have Seattle connections. So the day is already starting a little crazy.

Brad Allis' pre game podcast (also with a recap of last night's basketball game).

Now back to the 3 keys of the game. I'm too old to care who Death Cab for Cutie are, but I'm guessing they will not have the staying power in musical history of the Wilson sisters. So here is my one key to the game. This is the last lower tier team we will play this year and our last chance for a bad loss, so lets not take any chances and put together a complete game on both sides of the ball. Lets come out unbelievably strong and play with heart the entire game. It is time to go crazy on you Washington!

gumby

Post by gumby »

Football attendance in the South is greater even though the seven poorest states in the union are in the South. So income is only one factor. Another is fanaticism. It's just not the same in the West.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Another factor is most of the more predominate universities in the west are in large metropolitan areas: LA, the bay area, Phoenix, etc. Most of the SEC teams are in smaller communities: Tuscaloosa, Fayetteville, Auburn, Gainesville, etc. There is more competition for the entertainment dollar in the bigger cities.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

gumby wrote:Football attendance in the South is greater even though the seven poorest states in the union are in the South. So income is only one factor. Another is fanaticism. It's just not the same in the West.
6 lowest educated states are in the south too. http://www.foxbusiness.com/personal-fin ... ed-states/

So not that many alums.

NASCAR.

Obesity.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Even a team like Notre Dame couldnt fill that stadium. Probably 4k short even after decreasing stadium size. Probably their fault for trying to make up a 10 million dollar athletic budget shortfall in one game.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
gumby

Post by gumby »

Merkin wrote:
gumby wrote:Football attendance in the South is greater even though the seven poorest states in the union are in the South. So income is only one factor. Another is fanaticism. It's just not the same in the West.
6 lowest educated states are in the south too. http://www.foxbusiness.com/personal-fin ... ed-states/

So not that many alums.

NASCAR.

Obesity.
So if we routinely filled the stadium it would be a sign of devolution.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Chicat wrote:
Firefighters informed them that the Up button worked. They replied, "We know, but we were on our way down."
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

SB Nation with all the numbers (except Peterson's when to take a knee chart) from the Washington game.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat wrote:

Why do football players even think about taking the elevator? I, as an 56 year old fart doesn't take the elevator.

The UDub fans don't think so. She looks fine by the way.