Scooby

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azcat49

Re: Scooby

Post by azcat49 »

Interesting Goggles and I hope you are right. Would love to see that aggressiveness
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Scooby Wright - Sophmore. 9 games in the season:

Not yet in Arizona Top 15 for CAREER - tackles, sacks etc. but should start to climb in some categories by years end.

[EDITED - UA announced today that a TFL and Sack taken away from Scooby (Housekeeping from Wazzu game). Stats below updated to reflect that.

Sacks- single-SEASON
1993 Tedy Bruschi 19
1995 Tedy Bruschi 14.5
1984 Steve Boadway 13
2014 Scooby Wright 12
1985 Danny Lockett, 12
1997 Joe Salave’a, 11.5

Tackles for Loss - Single-SEASON
1968 Tom Nelson, 29
1993 Tedy Bruschi, 27.5
1992 Rob Waldrop, 22
1970 Bill McKinley, 20
2014 Scooby Wright, 19.5
1995 Tedy Bruschi, 19.5

Forced Fumbles - Single-SEASON
1983 Ricky Hunley, 5
1988 Chris Singleton, 5
2014 Scooby Wright, 5
1977 Ken Creviston, 4
1978 Cleveland Crosby, 4
1981 J. Pace, 4
R. Hunley
1990 Jeff Hammerschmidt, 4
1998 Scooter Sprotte, 4
2004 Pat Howard, 4
Carlos Williams
2012 Jared Tevis, 4
Last edited by RazorsEdgeAZ on Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

well if Scooby continues on the same pace through 13 games he'll finish the season with
18.5 sacks (2nd all time...just barely)
41 tfl (1st all time)
7 forced fumbles (1st all time)
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

As Chi has said our marketing guys are great.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Now we riot.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
UAtrue

Post by UAtrue »

Chicat wrote:Now we riot.
Now that is a good reason for mayhem.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Chicat wrote:Now we riot.
Casteel's head on a pole!
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

http://www.foxsports.com/arizona/story/ ... ver-111214
The NCAA stats show Arizona linebacker Scooby Wright tied for second nationally with 13 sacks and first in tackles for loss (2.3 per game, 20.5 total).

But not really.

Arizona announced Wednesday a statistical change from the Washington State game, when Wright forced three fumbles and was credited with three sacks, which also count, by definition, as a tackle for loss. Those stats all came on the three plays, as Wright swatted the ball from the hand of quarterback Connor Halliday -- forced fumble, sack, tackle for loss.

But one of those fumbles was recovered by an offensive lineman and returned for no gain. According to college statistical guidelines, because the fumble was returned to the line of scrimmage, there is no sack and tackle for loss.

"Interesting," Wright said after practice Wednesday, although he merely shrugged. "I really don't care."

Wright's new totals heading into the this weekend's Washington game -- 12 sacks and 19.5 tackles for loss -- will be reflected when the NCAA releases new national stats Sunday.
Scooby's awesome.
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_/id ... a-then-who
Kevin Gemmell/@Kevin_Gemmell: Arizona LB Scooby Wright

Why can’t we talk about a defensive player for the Heisman? Arizona's Scooby Wright leads the Pac-12 in tackles per game, tackles for a loss per game and is second in the conference in total sacks. The first stat makes sense for a middle linebacker. But the other two don’t. Those premium stats behind the line of scrimmage are usually reserved for odd-front hybrids and even-front defensive ends.

In other words, Wright is transcending the traditional role of the middle linebacker. The Pac-12 blog is a huge fan of Eric Kendricks, who might be the best pure middle linebacker in the league. But he’s not wrecking it behind the line of scrimmage the way Wright is.

He’s first nationally in tackles per game among Power 5 conference players, tied for first in tackles for a loss (with Washington’s Hau'oli Kikaha) and second nationally to Kikaha in sacks per game.

I can hear the Shaq Thompson argument coming a mile away. And while the Washington running backer might be the best athlete in the country -- his two-way play has detracted from his defensive numbers in recent weeks. And that’s where he makes his bones.

Like many, I’m fed up sometimes that the Heisman has morphed into the dual-threat quarterback of the year award. But if anyone wants to have a serious conversation about a defensive player for the Heisman – then in 2014, it’s Wright.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Funny side note from Gimino's article at FSA
Bruce Feldman of FOXSports.com was in Tucson this week for a round of interviews, including with Wright.

"He thought I was going to be a lot shorter. It kind of offended me a little bit, I'm not going to lie," Wright said, laughing. "He said, 'I thought you were going to be shorter than me.'"

Just to be clear: Scooby was under-recruited, is not under-sized.

"I think it does make me a little angry or a little pissed off when people say I'm undersized," he said. "I'm 6-1, 247 pounds, that's pretty solid size."

Wright said his father called Tuesday night after watching analyst Rick Neuheisel on the Pac-12 Networks.
"He said, 'Rick Neuheisel just said you're 5-foot-9,'" Scooby said. "That was just funny."
Not sure how the "Scooby is too short" rumor got started, but maybe Feldman can help end it.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ANGCatFan wrote:Funny side note from Gimino's article at FSA
Bruce Feldman of FOXSports.com was in Tucson this week for a round of interviews, including with Wright.

"He thought I was going to be a lot shorter. It kind of offended me a little bit, I'm not going to lie," Wright said, laughing. "He said, 'I thought you were going to be shorter than me.'"

Just to be clear: Scooby was under-recruited, is not under-sized.

"I think it does make me a little angry or a little pissed off when people say I'm undersized," he said. "I'm 6-1, 247 pounds, that's pretty solid size."

Wright said his father called Tuesday night after watching analyst Rick Neuheisel on the Pac-12 Networks.
"He said, 'Rick Neuheisel just said you're 5-foot-9,'" Scooby said. "That was just funny."

Not sure how the "Scooby is too short" rumor got started, but maybe Feldman can help end it.

RichRod said it. Forgot the exact quote, but when one of the announcers asked him if Scooby was really 6'1", RR said that he was if he stood on a box and had his cap on. Something like that. Maybe it was Neuheisel who said that was RR's response.

It was a recent Neuheisel quote, but Slick Rick might be confused, and thinking about Jake Fischer last year who was listed at 6'0" but really a lot closer to 5'9".
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

Didn't he also have a fumble recovery against UCLA?
Mike Luke's burner account.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

KillerKlown wrote:Didn't he also have a fumble recovery against UCLA?
No, the one fUCLA fumble was recovered by Jamar Allah.
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

azgreg wrote:
KillerKlown wrote:Didn't he also have a fumble recovery against UCLA?
No, the one fUCLA fumble was recovered by Jamar Allah.
Ohhh. It feels great to finally find out. It's been getting at me for the past 2 weeks.
Mike Luke's burner account.
ghostwhitehorse

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Was at the game Saturday and noticed that every time Scooby made a play (even a routine play), the announcers would make a big deal out of calling out his name followed by the Scooby-Doo sound effect. They really don't make a big deal out of any other players making routine plays.

I'm not trying to make a Machina-like point here, but I couldn't help but think to myself, I wonder if there is any resentment from his teammates for the way he is treated?
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Alieberman wrote: I'm not trying to make a Machina-like point here, but I couldn't help but think to myself, I wonder if there is any resentment from his teammates for the way he is treated?
No.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

If Scooby were a less humble person, maybe. But I think most if not all of his teammates realize that Scooby battles on each and every play and makes them better by playing the way he does.

If I went to war, I'd want a kid like Scooby Wright in my foxhole.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I think so too, and I only brought it up because I thought it was odd that the PA announcer made such a big deal out of every single play that occurred around Scooby. If anything I would think that Scooby might be a bit ticked or embarrassed at all the "over" attention.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Scooby seems to have some intense focus out there. He might not even hear the PA over the sound of "KILL THE QB!!!" rolling around in his head. ;)
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Alieberman wrote:I think so too, and I only brought it up because I thought it was odd that the PA announcer made such a big deal out of every single play that occurred around Scooby. If anything I would think that Scooby might be a bit ticked or embarrassed at all the "over" attention.
Marketing. Arizona fans know how good he is but there's always journalists, bowl representatives, etc at the stadium and so you want to make your best player get noticed. The PA, the sound effect, the fans yelling "Scooooooby"... this gets noticed.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Finalist for Lombardi award.
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

On ESPN's Kick-Off Show Ted Miller just picked Scooby to win a College Football Hunger Games. Basically he just said he was a relentless animal. I totally agree.

Ted also picked our game against Utah as the must-watch game of the weekend.
Gimino

Post by Gimino »

From tonight's story...

TUCSON, AZ (Tucson News Now) - When Scooby Wright was in the eighth grade, he and his family met with an administrator from Cardinal Newman High School.

Cardinal Newman, in Santa Rosa, CA, close to the Wright's home in Windsor, is known for many things, including being recognized several years ago as one of the top 50 Catholic high schools in the country. And, oh yeah, its football program is a Northern California powerhouse.

The administrator asked the Wrights about their interest in the school.

"What do you want out of Cardinal Newman?" he asked.

Phil Wright, Scooby's dad, answered.

"We want an All-American linebacker."

"No, what do you really want?"

"That's what he really wants to do."

Phil Wright chuckled at the memory in a phone interview Thursday.

"The guy looked at me like we were crazy," Phil said. "Scooby was like, 'Did he think we were kidding?'"

More:

http://www.tucsonnewsnow.com/story/2744 ... f-schedule
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I remember a couple days before signing day and Casteel and RR flew out to speak with Scooby to insure his signing. I thought, who is this kid, he is just a 2 star, why are they spending budget on this kid. Sure enough he has been the real deal.

Got to credit the coaches on this. Not one other PAC 12 offer. Just wow
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
TheBlackLodge

Post by TheBlackLodge »

Great article AG, thanks for sharing.
Formerly McLurvin
ghostwhitehorse

http://tucson.com/sports/football/colle ... 937ba.html

Nothing new here. . .but. . .nice picture. "Holding, Washington, No.64, 10 yard penalty, still 2nd down"
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Great article AG. Sounds like Scooby comes from great stock. Loved the quotes about taking Arizona to the next level and representing the program.
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

This should fuel him to rape the AStUrds.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

He wasn't on the semifinal list that came out a few weeks ago, so I don't think they could make him a finalist now anyways.

Idiots. Just like when they didn't have Ka'Deem on the Doak Walker the year he led the nation in rushing.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

How the hell is Scooby not on that list (or the semifinalist list either)!? did an ASsU alumn make the list?

Ridiculous
UAEebs86 wrote: Idiots. Just like when they didn't have Ka'Deem on the Doak Walker the year he led the nation in rushing.
Do these morons just not know there's a team here that has had some pretty damn good players? Ug.

:::: although I thought the Deem thing was cause of his off-field issues. Maybe I'm remembering wrong.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

The three first team all pac12 LBers are all pretty much set in stone at this point.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Good article from David Fox at Athlon Sports on Scooby.
By season’s end, he’ll be the first Scooby to earn All-Pac-12 honors and perhaps other awards. Earlier this week, Wright was named a finalist for the Nagurski and Lombardi awards.

Wright ranks first nationally in tackles for a loss per game (2.2), third in sacks per game (1.2), fourth in tackles per game (11.8) and tied for first in forced fumbles (five).

With numbers like that, Wright may be on the verge of rare rise from recruiting obscurity to national prominence.

If Wright is a consensus All-American this season, he’ll be the sixth defensive freshman or sophomore since 2009 to earn that honor.

The others on the list are a who’s who of college and NFL stars: South Carolina’s Jadeveon Clowney, LSU’s Tyrann Mathieu, Georgia’s Jarvis Jones, Boston College’s Luke Kuechly and Texas’ Earl Thomas.

- See more at: http://athlonsports.com/college-footbal ... Kkiwx.dpuf
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

MrBug708 wrote:The three first team all pac12 LBers are all pretty much set in stone at this point.
kikaha, scooby and who?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Um..seriously?
Last edited by MrBug708 on Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

the real dill wrote:
Its nice to see a national voice supporting Scooby and the Cats! Go Bruce!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

:lol: :lol:
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

"And Scooby do what Scooby do"

lmfao

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

PieceOfMeat wrote:"And Scooby do what Scooby do"

lmfao
“To do is to be”—Jean-Paul Sartre.

“Do be do be do”—Frank Sinatra.
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

Merkin wrote:
“To do is to be”—Jean-Paul Sartre.

“Do be do be do”—Frank Sinatra.
"Scooby do what Scooby do" - Rich Rod.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Finalist for best defensive player but not a finalist for best linebacker. SMH
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

2014 Maxwell and Bednarik Award Finalists Announced

http://www.maxwellfootballclub.org/news ... -announced
2014 Chuck Bednarik Award Finalists
Vic Beasley - Clemson - Defensive End - Senior
Joey Bosa - Ohio State - Defensive End - Sophomore
Scooby Wright III - Arizona - Linebacker - Sophomore

Wright is the only FBS player to rank in the top-25 individually for each of these four categories (based on per game): tackles (117), tackles for loss (21.0), sacks (12.0) and forced fumbles (5). Wright has at least one tackle for loss in all 10 games this season and has had a sack in eight of the 10 contests. In Arizona’s 27-26 win over Washington on Saturday, Wright recorded 11 tackles and 1.5 tackles for a loss of five yards. Through 10 games, he totals 117 tackles, 21.0 tackles for 78 yards lost, 12.0 sacks for 61 yards lost, five forced fumbles and one fumble recovery.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

UAEebs86 wrote:Finalist for best defensive player but not a finalist for best linebacker. SMH
That does seem pretty stupid when you see it on paper!