Bondurant

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azgreg

Re: Bondurant no longer on the team

Post by azgreg »

Kiyama wrote:Briefly looked for any updates on Bondurant's status... did not find any details. Anyone know how long he will be "not with the team"?

I am curious what happened, as even with all the off-field stuff Carey was around and involved, he got to play in the second game of the season.
Bondo was only off the team for a day or 2. He has played in both games.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

William Parks has been playing really well too.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Kiyama wrote:Briefly looked for any updates on Bondurant's status... did not find any details. Anyone know how long he will be "not with the team"?

I am curious what happened, as even with all the off-field stuff Carey was around and involved, he got to play in the second game of the season.
Bondurant is still with the team. He has played in both the first 2 games with 1 tackle against UNLV. Not sure what happened to the old Bondurant, but Tevis and Parks are making it hard for him ever to regain his starting spot.
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

ANGCatFan wrote:

Bondurant is still with the team. He has played in both the first 2 games with 1 tackle against UNLV. Not sure what happened to the old Bondurant, but Tevis and Parks are making it hard for him ever to regain his starting spot.
That's what we call a life lesson there, boys. Hopefully he keeps pushing to claw his way up. Nothing wrong with competition.
jollything

Post by jollything »

TuiTouchdown wrote:
ANGCatFan wrote:

That's what we call a life lesson there, boys. Hopefully he keeps pushing to claw his way up. Nothing wrong with competition.
Maybe he could make a move to linebacker, and help us out a little bit.
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

Bondurant has tremendous instincts and physicality but he struggles in pass defense. Parks is a major upgrade in that sense but I do miss seeing Bondo blowing plays up in the backfield and causing turnovers.

I wonder if Casteel would ever consider experimenting with him at one of the three LB spots. Considering the "Spur" position plays closer to the line of scrimmage than safeties normally do, I don't think it's that crazy of an idea. I mean if you think about it, his first career start as a Wildcat was at LB when UA blew out UCLA in 2011.
I...drink...your...MILKSHAKE!

"I'm better at life than you." -RockyRaccoon/Richard Sherman

"Those that don't understand the importance of great coaching, don't understand the game." -RR

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UA football notes: Bondurant earning more playing time

http://tucson.com/sports/football/colle ... c9755.html
September 15, 2014 11:00 pm • By Daniel Berk

The Tra’Mayne Bondurant discipline experiment appears to be over — or at least winding down.

Coach Rich Rodriguez said Monday at his weekly news conference that Bondurant, a senior safety who started all 12 games he played in last season, could begin to see a larger role starting Saturday against Cal.

Bondurant, who had 72 tackles, seven tackles-for-loss and four interceptions last season, has played very few snaps through the first three games of this season. The Vallejo, California, product briefly left the team at the start of training camp after he failed to complete some offseason discipline handed down to him.

When he returned, Rodriguez said it wouldn’t be an easy road back and the safety would have to earn his spot.

He played in some third-down packages against UNLV and UTSA. Last week against Nevada, he played on most special teams units, and saw more snaps on defense, specifically at the end of the game.

“Tra’Mayne has worked hard in practice to get back into the fold,” Rodriguez said. “He’ll probably play more.”

The timing of his pending return makes sense. Against Cal last year, the Wildcats played two linebackers and six defensive backs nearly the entire game because the Golden Bears air it out so much.

Rodriguez obviously wouldn’t divulge his defensive game plan Monday, but a similar formation is certainly possible Saturday. The coach did say the team could “play more (defensive backs) and less bigger guys against spread teams like Cal.”

Bondurant would add a presence to the defense the Wildcats need. The UA has forced just two turnovers this season, and is surrendering 267 yards per game through the air.

The senior had three interceptions through two games last year. Fellow safety Will Parks said Bondurant’s best attribute is his instincts around the ball.

“He just knows where the ball is going to be,” Parks said. “I’m glad he’s coming back and starting to get back in the rotation. Tra’Mayne’s instincts, that’s what I’m looking forward to seeing — just that playmaking ability all over the field, whether it’s an interception or a forced fumble, or just causing somebody else to make a play.”

One issue for Bondurant — aside from the discipline — has been getting back in shape to be the impact player he was last season. He’s listed on the roster at 216 pounds, after playing last season in the 190s.

“The biggest thing was he has to work and get in shape as a couple of other guys had to,” Rodriguez said. “He’s doing a good job with that. He’s doing all the stuff we’ve asked him to do.”
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

We have to make a new Bondurant thread or change the title of this one. Every time this gets bumped I think he's off the team again.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

I have the same problem. My heart stops for a second every time this thread bumps to the top. Irish you can edit the original post and update the title.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote:We have to make a new Bondurant thread or change the title of this one. Every time this gets bumped I think he's off the team again.
ANGCatFan wrote:I have the same problem. My heart stops for a second every time this thread bumps to the top. Irish you can edit the original post and update the title.
I sent him a PM requesting just that.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I can do it.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
PieceOfMeat

Re: Bondurant

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Chicat wrote:I can do it.
Looks better, with the new title, on the main board...but this still shows with every response:

Unless one edits the subject in their reply
:lol:
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
Looks better, with the new title, on the main board...but this still shows with every response:

Only every post from before I changed it. Thankfully...
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Chicat wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:

Only every post from before I changed it. Thankfully...
My post where I typed that, was after you changed it, and it still said "no longer with the team" until I edited it. It has to do with who you're quoting I think.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

For example, when I quote this post, it still says "no longer on the team"

lol. just a quirk of message boarding I guess.

PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

but anyone doing a quick reply, it only shows "Re: Bondurant". so that's a plus!

UAEebs86

In case you didn't hear Bondo became a daddy today

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azpenguin

Re: In case you didn't hear Bondo became a daddy today

Post by azpenguin »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Considering that he was just about gone from the team, and then what he had to do to work himself back into playing time... what a year for him.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Id call the little one Pick in honor of today
gumby

Post by gumby »

Gotta be James. James Bondurant.
Right where I want to be.
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

How did Bondo not get Defensive Player of the Week from the coaches?

11 tackles, forced fumble, pick-six... I'd say he deserve it.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

TuiTouchdown wrote:How did Bondo not get Defensive Player of the Week from the coaches?

11 tackles, forced fumble, pick-six... I'd say he deserve it.
Long memories?

azpenguin wrote: Considering that he was just about gone from the team
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

Merkin wrote: Long memories?
Yeah, that was my thought. Wish we could just move on from the punishment. Guy did his penance. He lost his starting position. Let's give him props when he deserves it.
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

Lost in the shuffle of yesterday's disappointment was Bondurant once again coming up with a huge play when we desperately needed it.

The guy is a ball magnet. Would be curious to know his career turnover totals. He'll be missed and hope that he finds a home in the pros.
eoe

Post by eoe »

azthrillhouse wrote:Lost in the shuffle of yesterday's disappointment was Bondurant once again coming up with a huge play when we desperately needed it.

The guy is a ball magnet. Would be curious to know his career turnover totals. He'll be missed and hope that he finds a home in the pros.
Most underrated player on the team. Will be a huge loss. Single-handedly won us multiple games.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

An All-Time favorite Wildcat. I remember when he burst on the scene a few years ago. Was it UCLA? He was still wearing #27 and he was in on every play. I had to look him up on the roster to see who he was. He's been money ever since.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I've never known an Arizona defensive player with a better nose for the ball. He got his hands on more balls than some offensive players over the course of his career.