The team with the best win in college football this year

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Chicat

The team with the best win in college football this year

Post by Chicat »

... Is your Arizona Wildcats.

BEAR DOWN!!!!
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Alieberman

Re: The team with the best win in college football this year

Post by Alieberman »

I just hope no NFL player goes out and hits his wife or kids tonight to take away our spotlight.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

something magical just happened tonight!!!
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Bear The Fuck Down!
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

UAEebs86 wrote:Bear The Fuck Down!
right on!!!
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

wyo-cat wrote:something magical just happened tonight!!!
And I do not care if you live in Newfoundland: If you slept through this one, not a fan.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

catgrad97 wrote:
And I do not care if you live in Newfoundland: If you slept through this one, not a fan.
Never leave . . . . your TV/radio/illegal stream.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

We have more wins in the last 9 years against Oregon than any other Pac 12 team...

Usc and Furd have 3 and we have 4...
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Chicat wrote:
catgrad97 wrote:
I 'watched' it on game cast. :( Anyone know a site that streams video compatible with iPad?
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
waysouthcat

Post by waysouthcat »

Puerco wrote:
Chicat wrote:
catgrad97 wrote:
I 'watched' it on game cast. :( Anyone know a site that streams video compatible with iPad?
Yeah, ESPN game cast for me too. I haven't found any streaming services that weren't some combination of malware, hard to use, and generally not worth the effort.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

catgrad97 wrote:
Was up till 3am EST. Never felt better the AM. :)
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CalStateTempe wrote:
catgrad97 wrote:
Was up till 3am EST. Never felt better the AM. :)
I was up until 2:30 CDT, my kid came into our bed at 5:30 CDT after a nightmare and then proceeded to kick me for an hour, so I've been wide awake for a while and I'm still feeling great.

Maybe I'm still drunk...
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I admit I fell asleep sometime around midnight and woke up to a boner
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Yet another Channing bet. Ridnour this time:

http://websta.me/p/823083346676250477_21707908
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

College GameDay ‏@CollegeGameDay 5h5 hours ago
According to FPI, Arizona's 31-24 win over Oregon was the 8th-biggest upset in FBS this season and the 3rd-biggest between Power Five teams.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I made it until the end even though I had to get up at 5:30. :(

Great win, although when I watched Sportscenter to relish in the accolades that dickwad anchor from Oregon (Neil something) was doing the short highlights making excuses for the UO loss - prayer unsportsmanlike, Oregon's beat up o-line.

wtf?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Definitely positives to living in the Pacific time zone
Zona_Soccer10

Post by Zona_Soccer10 »

Duck hunting two years in a row.
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Gimino at tucsonnewsnow.com with the best road wins in Wildcat football PAC 10/12 history.
It's self-evident that a victory over the second-ranked Ducks in Autzen Stadium is a great win. How great? Let's count down the biggest Arizona triumphs on the road in the Pac-10/12 era.

5. Arizona 31, Washington 28 (1998)

This is the Ortege Jenkins' Leap by the Lake game. His last-second dash and flip into the end zone provided the margin of victory. The win pushed Arizona to 5-0 heading into a home showdown against UCLA. The Wildcats, until Thursday night, hadn't been 5-0 since then.

4. Arizona 16, Arizona State 13 (1985)

The 20th-ranked Sun Devils just needed a tie to advance to the Rose Bowl, but Arizona denied them for the second time in four seasons. The game is well-remembered for Byron Evans stripping the ball from punt returner Anthony Parker, with Don Be'Ans recovering for a touchdown, and for Max Zendejas' fourth-quarter field goals - 57 yards with 5:29 to play and from 32 yards with 1:43 left.

3. Arizona 16, Notre Dame 13 (1982)

The Wildcats further cemented their giant-killer reputation under Coach Larry Smith when, a week after tying No. 8 UCLA 24-24 in Pasadena, Zendejas kicked a last-play 48-yard field goal to stun the ninth-ranked Fighting Irish.

2. Arizona 31, Oregon 24 (2014)

The Scooby strip, the running attack, Anu Solomon's poise, a hard-hitting defensive effort - all while in the Thursday night national spotlight - well, you can see the highlights and read all about it here.

1. Arizona 13, USC 10 (1981)

The Wildcats were 24-point underdogs - nearly identical to the oddsmakers' line from Thursday night - but ended USC's 22-game home winning streak. USC's Marcus Allen rushed for 211 yards - his fifth consecutive game with more than 200 - but Arizona allowed the Trojans to cross midfield only once in the second half ... and then the Cats recovered a fumble. Tom Tunnicliffe and Vance Johnson connected on a 13-yard score late in the third quarter for the winning points as UA rallied from a 10-0 hole.
It's Gimino so you should read the entire article, but here are a couple of his other points.
3. Anu Solomon can handle anything. Arizona's quarterback might have a moment or two every game when you say, "Oh, yeah, I can tell he's a freshman," but he already has the most epic fourth-quarter in school history against Cal, and a win over the second-ranked team in the loudest stadium on the West Coast. The stage will never be too big for him.
Just to recap for the people staring at their smart phones while life is happening all around them, redshirt Freshman Anu Solomon in 5 games has now posted the best total offense performance in school history, the best passing performance in school history, the biggest comeback in school history, the most points in one quarter (say it with me) in school history, and now the 2nd best road victory. Is it me, our could there be something happening here?

Despite all of the records I believe this offense is just getting started. They are improving every week and still putting all the pieces together.

The defense is the area that has me most concerned, but hopefully the Oregon performance inspires them for the rest of the year. One key could be if a career game by Pettinato can be just a new normal for him.
1. Don't overlook the contribution of Dan Pettinato. The Arizona senior defensive lineman had the game of his career, with seven tackles and a sack/forced fumble of Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota. That stopped a potential scoring drive after the Ducks had reached the Arizona 33 late in the half. "We stayed together as a team," Pettinato said after the game. "I can't tell you how proud I am about our defense. We really stuck together."
Finally, here is the best game recap I found in my early morning search of the interweb.

ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Lots of Arizona relevant discussion in the Duck Hunter episode of ESPN's college football podcast. Just about every segment has some relevance to Arizona. Stay until the end for a short monologue on Coach Rod and Michigan.

azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

Kind of lost me right away when this idiot Zuban described Matt Scott and BJ Denker as "plodding, drop-back passers" in contrast to the mobile Anu Solomon.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

That didn't last very long
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

MrBug708 wrote:That didn't last very long
Unranked over a #2 on the road is bigger than #11 over #1 at home.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

azgreg wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:That didn't last very long
Unranked over a #2 on the road is bigger than #11 over #1 at home.
Yup.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Alabama is #3
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

NYCat wrote:Alabama is #3
In 1 poll, #1 in another.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Coaches poll is useless.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I've been racking my brain and I can't really think of a team with two better road wins than at Oregon and at Utah.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Chicat wrote:I've been racking my brain and I can't really think of a team with two better road wins than at Oregon and at Utah.

Stop racking...there isn't one.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Yeah but any sec road win, even over unranked teams are better than any other road wins
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

Olsondogg wrote:
Chicat wrote:I've been racking my brain and I can't really think of a team with two better road wins than at Oregon and at Utah.

Stop racking...there isn't one.
It's not even close and it's why Bruce Feldman has us in his top 10 for that very reason. He tweeted it earlier today that no other team has 2 better road wins than Arizona.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

I've felt since early last year that this team is almost better on the road than at home. They're 8-4 on the road dating to last season and two of those losses were Denker getting his "hello to the big leagues" moment. RR emphasizes the "business trip" aspect of road games and it seems like once these guys leave town they really feel like they've got something to prove. They circle the wagons and get it done.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

I think expecting Stanford to beat UCLA is wishful thinking... they have not beaten a single ranked opponent this season (0-5) and I would expect the Rose Bowl to be as fired up as it is ever going to get for a Bruin regular season game.

Anything can happen, and the Bruins could have a letdown after a big win vs their rival. That said, if they can't get up for this game with what's at stake, they have some issues.

Obviously we still have a chance to win the conference... but short of that, our best bowl scenario is to beat ASU and have UCLA get throttled by UO. Despite our head-to-head loss vs UCLA, a 2-loss Arizona team with 3 marquee wins is likely a more attractive team to the Fiesta Bowl than a 3-loss UCLA team after getting stomped by UO. Oregon goes into the playoff, and we are arguably the most attractive P12 team to the rest of the bowls - almost assuredly the highest ranked, with the best record and the most momentum. The fact that the Fiesta Bowl is in AZ doesn't exactly hurt, either.

The Fiesta Bowl is our ceiling even if we were conference champions, because we are not making the playoff - short of several miracles in the next 2 weeks. Our worst case scenario is that UCLA beats Stanford and then Oregon.

Lots of different scenarios to consider... bottom line, beat ASU and we will likely be going to the best bowl game we have been to in the lifetimes of most college students. This is the biggest Territorial Cup for both UA & ASU in the PAC era - and quite possibly, ever. I can't wait...
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

They might need help, but RichRod will still hold this line and he's right: Everything they want is still in front of them.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Generally speaking, bowls don't want local teams if they can avoid it. They want the out of towners to bring in money
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

MrBug708 wrote:Generally speaking, bowls don't want local teams if they can avoid it. They want the out of towners to bring in money
Yeah thats why the wanted ASSU before they lost to OSU!
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

MrBug708 wrote:Generally speaking, bowls don't want local teams if they can avoid it. They want the out of towners to bring in money
Between AZ alumni across the West and people who would travel up from Tucson for the game - I think AZ fans would "travel" better to the Fiesta Bowl than UCLA fans would. Either way, it's probably not different enough to be a deciding factor... it's not as if either team travels like Ohio State - but both fanbases will be fired up for the best bowl either program has seen in a long, long time.