Pac-12 South Scenarios

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

PieceOfMeat

Re: Pac-12 South Scenarios

Post by PieceOfMeat »

am I the only one who finds that graphic a little difficult to read/follow?
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Lofty

Post by Lofty »

3goggles wrote:Possible not probable!
Absolutely agree with you. Not likely.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

PieceOfMeat wrote:am I the only one who finds that graphic a little difficult to read/follow?
I figured it out, but it took a while. :lol:
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

azgreg wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:am I the only one who finds that graphic a little difficult to read/follow?
I figured it out, but it took a while. :lol:
I still haven't!! I'm color blind so I'm fucked!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Just follow the lines out of the boxes. For example: The lines out of the USC side of the USC/UCLA box signify a USC win while the lines out of the UCLA side of the box signify a UCLA win. Using those 2 lines out of the USC side go to the WSU/ASU box. IF WSU wins USC wins the south. If ASU wins then wins the AZ/ASU game ASU wins the south.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I think our game vs ASU is on at the same time as UCLA / Stanford.

If UCLA wins tonight Arizona Stadium is going to be the craziest it's ever been.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Just beat ASU. I don't care about anything else. Just beat ASU.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Right now, I'm right there with OSUCat.

Winning the pac12 south....sure, I'd take it if it were to happen (with getting the help we'd need).

But beating ASsU....now THAT is what I want, regardless of what it means for the pac12 south.

FUCK ASsU
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

Alieberman wrote:I think our game vs ASU is on at the same time as UCLA / Stanford.

If UCLA wins tonight Arizona Stadium is going to be the craziest it's ever been.

Yes Sir, we need help from UCLA this week and help from Stanford next week.

But in the end just beat the freaking "Tempe Sphincter Tards" and let the chips fall where they may.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I only care about beating asu
azpatnca

Post by azpatnca »

So we want ucla to win tonight, then lose to Stanford, and we need to beat asu. Is that the only path? Because the tv guys said UA wants USC to win tonight. They probably weren't thinking it all the way through.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azpatnca wrote:So we want ucla to win tonight, then lose to Stanford, and we need to beat asu. Is that the only path? Because the tv guys said UA wants USC to win tonight. They probably weren't thinking it all the way through.
If USC wins we are out. We need UCLA tonight. Stanford next week, and of course for us to pound the AStUrds.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Alieberman wrote:I think our game vs ASU is on at the same time as UCLA / Stanford.

When we win they are going to put that game on the jumbotron and no one will leave but the asstard fans
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

azcat49 wrote:

When we win they are going to put that game on the jumbotron and no one will leave but the asstard fans
Furd will beat UCLA
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

9 and 2!

Beat ASSu!

9 and 2!

Beat ASSu!

9 and 2!

Beat ASSu!
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Yeah if ucla wins Arizona stadium will be crazy
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
The Butcher

Post by The Butcher »

Holy crap. UCLA did win. This is exciting. We win on Friday, UCLA gets curb stomped by Stanford...and then we dominant Oregon again. How far fetched is it to imagine we could be in the final 4 at 11 and 2? Take a look at our wins. And how we barely lost to USC by a wide right.

Okay, maybe a little cra cra with that last bit, but still..gah..USC..wide right..oh god.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Even assuming furd helps us out and beats ucla (which the last time a pac team helped us out in football was....never?) and assuming we stomp on ASsU, and then assuming we beat Oregon......I just don't see us getting into the top 4 and into the playoff. Too many SEC teams ahead of us, for example, or other teams ahead of us who don't really have difficult games remaining.

I mean, in that scenario, I could see making a strong argument to put us in....I just don't think the selection/ranking committee would do it.

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I actually do.

We beat oregon twice giving them their two losses, I would say they would have to give the cats a serious look. Especially since their first loss has been downgraded due to "injuries" while ours are not.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

I do too. I mean, it would be a shame if a PAC12 got left out of the playoffs.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

The PAC 12 champion will be in the 4, I guarantee it
Last edited by azcat49 on Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

If UCLA loses to Stanford the winner of the UofA/asu game plays Oregon in the Pac-12 championship.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

azcat49 wrote:The PAC 12 champion willbe in the 4, I guarantee it
If it's Oregon, yeah. if it's ucla, yeah. if it's us? that's where I'm not so sure. Given our current position in the rankings. Unless this win jumps us significantly upwards on tuesday or whenever the next ranking comes out. I think they'd use us as the pac12 champs as a way to just stick another sec team into the 4.

p.s. this is one of the reason I think a 4 team playoff is stupid. should have been at least 8.

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

A lot of prominent people are coming around to the idea that a four team playoff is far inferior to an 8 or 16 team version.

A two-loss Arizona team having beaten Oregon at Autzen and on a neutral field would be in the playoff. I'm 99.9% sure of that, especially coming out of the Pac12 South. It's ASU that might be left out with only one neutral field win over Oregon.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

How crazy will next Friday afternoon be?

On the one hand, we will be rooting for the Cats to be beat the Scummies while pulling for Stanford against the Bruins.

BUT, if it looks like we are going to lose (shudder the thought) we will need to quickly switch gears and pull for the Bruins as no way we want ASSU in the Conference Championship game.

I will need to rest up this week...
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Chicat wrote:A lot of prominent people are coming around to the idea that a four team playoff is far inferior to an 8 or 16 team version.

A two-loss Arizona team having beaten Oregon at Autzen and on a neutral field would be in the playoff. I'm 99.9% sure of that, especially coming out of the Pac12 South. It's ASU that might be left out with only one neutral field win over Oregon.
Good , maybe those prominent people can prompt a change...although I can't remember how many years this 4 team crap is locked in. 16 would be great, but I'd settle for 8.

I'll believe a 2 loss AZ team wold be in if they jump us fairly far in the next rankings. It would absolutely crack me up if assu were left out in the same scenario

scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Let's beat asu first
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

All I'm worried about is beating asu.. none of this matters if we don't.
illcat

Post by illcat »

JUST BEAT assu!!!
I mean I am not complaining but it must suck for good ugly girls.
--Officer Craig

You'll forgive DW99, he's used to the methed-out slores in Tempe ...
--Reydituto
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

illcat wrote:JUST BEAT assu!!!
It is the only thing Arizona can control. Everyone agrees, but what happens next? It doesn't take the focus off destroying the devils to think about what the possible consequences of victory are.

Going into the last week of the season 4 teams are in the running for the PAC 12 championship Oregon, UCLA, Arizona, and ASSu. I think everyone agrees if Oregon wins out they are in the final 4, so the question is how would the committee end up looking at a 2 loss PAC 12 South team who beats Oregon in the conference championship game?

If I was on the committee here is how I would look at each of these teams if they won out.

Ucla
Record 11-2
Best Wins: ASSu, Arizona, USC, Oregon
Bad Losses: None.

Arizona
Record 11-2
Best Wins: Oregon, Utah, ASSu, Oregon
Bad Losses: None

ASSu
Record 11-2
Best Wins: USC, Utah, Arizona, Oregon
Bad Losses: Ucla (62-27), Oregon St

I believe UCLA and Arizona would make the final 4 because they are the PAC 12 champs and have no bad losses. ASSu would be left out because of losing by 35 points to a good team and losing to a team that won't make a bowl game.

ASSu winning out is the only scenario where the PAC 12 would not have a team in the championship bracket, so nothing changes. Everyone in the conference should be rooting against the scummies.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

azgreg wrote:
Awesome, does he have that type of pull with GB?

8 Team playoff is perfect.

Win your conference you're in for the power 5.
3 at large with 1 designated to a bad ass team from a weaker conference (like when the Marshalls, ECUs, and Boise Sts of the nation have a banner year).

Still use rankings/SOS/head-to-head/committee rankings etc for seeding.

16 waters it down too much. in this proposal you have to win your conference if you are in a power 5. Continue to make the regular season a playoff.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

CalStateTempe wrote:
azgreg wrote:
Oh, I would think maybe juuuust a bit.
illcat

Post by illcat »

CalStateTempe wrote:
azgreg wrote:

8 Team playoff is perfect.

Win your conference you're in for the power 5.
3 at large with 1 designated to a bad ass team from a weaker conference (like when the Marshalls, ECUs, and Boise Sts of the nation have a banner year).

Still use rankings/SOS/head-to-head/committee rankings etc for seeding.

16 waters it down too much. in this proposal you have to win your conference if you are in a power 5. Continue to make the regular season a playoff.
AH YEAH!!
I mean I am not complaining but it must suck for good ugly girls.
--Officer Craig

You'll forgive DW99, he's used to the methed-out slores in Tempe ...
--Reydituto
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

It really irritates me that I have to keep hearing about Oregon's O-line injury when we played them. But no one brings up the fact that Nick Wilson didn't play against USC and wasn't 100% against UCLA.

I mean you don't think the player that scored 3 TD's in the game against Oregon would have made a difference in the following game against USC.

With that being said I hate the injury excuse being thrown at all in these rankings. Arizona went on the road at Oregon and beat a team that was favored by 24 points.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

No fluke either. Arizona controlled that game against the Ducks. They didn't just hang in there due to a few mistakes.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

UofAlum05 wrote:It really irritates me that I have to keep hearing about Oregon's O-line injury when we played them. But no one brings up the fact that Nick Wilson didn't play against USC and wasn't 100% against UCLA.
Injuries only matter if you're a media/national favorite I guess?

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
UofAlum05 wrote:It really irritates me that I have to keep hearing about Oregon's O-line injury when we played them. But no one brings up the fact that Nick Wilson didn't play against USC and wasn't 100% against UCLA.
Injuries only matter if you're a media/national favorite I guess?
Yep. Team Nike wants the Ducks in the playoffs, not Arizona.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I've seen at least 3 articles recently claiming our win over Oregon was a complete fluke. Really pisses me off
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

I mean you don't think the player that scored 3 TD's in the game against Oregon would have made a difference in the following game against USC.

With that being said I hate the injury excuse being thrown at all in these rankings. Arizona went on the road at Oregon and beat a team that was favored by 24 points.
One way to deal with the whole O-line thing is to point out that the 'Cats starting NG was a 6-1 237 lbs walk-on redshirt freshman going up against their all-world 6-3 297 lbs redshirt senior Center. . .
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

http://cfn.scout.com/2/1483866.html

You have got our undivided attention, Arizona.

The Wildcats reached their peak this season with an unexpected decimation of Utah on the road. Admit it, you weren’t that impressed with the ‘Cats prior to today. Sure, the 8-2 record was solid on paper, but the team had needed divine intervention earlier in the year to beat Cal and Washington. And the Oregon upset had a lot to do with a Duck O-line that had been gutted by injuries. Arizona still had a lot to prove to its critics today, which is exactly what it did in a four-quarter clinic.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Or TJG getting hurt in the U$C game...
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

One way to deal with the whole O-line thing is to point out that the 'Cats starting NG was a 6-1 237 lbs walk-on redshirt freshman going up against their all-world 6-3 297 lbs redshirt senior Center. . .
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

Um.. UO's O line? Wow. If I recall right, we ran up and down the field on them that game. What's that got to do with their O line?
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

ESPN blog on where everyone stands:
UCLA

Record: 9-2 (6-2)
Next big obstacle: Nov. Friday vs. Stanford

Reason for optimism: That Alabama and Oregon both have losses, yet are still ranked ahead of undefeated Florida State is a great sign for UCLA. It shows the selection committee is placing an emphasis on strength of schedule which gives hope for the Bruins that despite having two losses, they could jump one-loss teams with softer schedules. If UCLA wins out, it should expect to be in the playoff.

Cause for concern: Even if things break correctly, UCLA isn't assured anything. The committee could look back at some of its less impressive wins – double overtime against two-win Colorado doesn't scream “playoff team” -- and hold that against the Bruins should it come down to them or another team for the No. 4 spot.

Whom they'll be rooting for this week: No. 19 Ole Miss over No. 4 Mississippi State; Texas over No. 5 TCU; Michigan over No. 6 Ohio State; Texas Tech over No. 7 Baylor.

Arizona

Next big obstacle: Friday vs. Arizona State

Reason for optimism: If Arizona beats ASU and Oregon, it would be no lower than No. 7 and as the Pac-12 champion would receive a fair amount of consideration for the final spot. Neither of the Wildcats' losses – USC after a missed field goal and on the road against UCLA – are unforgiveable and Arizona benefits from the Pac-12's overall strength. Among teams with two losses or less, Arizona's road win against No. 2 Oregon is the most impressive.

Cause for concern: If Stanford doesn't beat UCLA, Arizona doesn't have a chance.

Whom they'll be rooting for this week: Stanford over No. 8 UCLA

Arizona State

Next big obstacle: Friday at Arizona

Reason for optimism: The Pac-12 champion, whoever it is, will be considered. That much has been clear by the committee's consistency in ranking Pac-12 teams favorably against the rest of the country. And because Arizona State is still in the mix to win the conference, a conceivable path to the playoff remains.

Cause for concern: The Sun Devils are ranked behind five two-loss teams, need UCLA to lose to Stanford, need to win on the road in the Territorial Cup and lost by 35 points (to UCLA) and to a team with a losing record (Oregon State). Their only win against a team ranked by the committee came at home against the No. 25 team (Utah) in overtime.

Whom they'll be rooting for this week: Stanford over UCLA
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Congrats on the South. Oregon has an Arizona problem
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Never thought it would happen with all the WHAT IFS.

UA is not that lucky.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

For once, the college football gods were on our side....
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Figures it would wait until after Arizona could play for the Rose Bowl. Hahahaaaaaaaaaaaa!
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

Chicat wrote:For once, the college football gods were on our side....

The absolute improbable happened!