Pac-12 South Scenarios

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Chicat

Re: Pac-12 South Scenarios

Post by Chicat »

catgrad97 wrote:Figures it would wait until after Arizona could play for the Rose Bowl. Hahahaaaaaaaaaaaa!
We can still play in the Rose Bowl.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Is it that time a year when we can hope to be bowl eligible?
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

catgrad97 wrote:Figures it would wait until after Arizona could play for the Rose Bowl. Hahahaaaaaaaaaaaa!
There's technically still a chance we could. I believe!
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

AZCatGirl wrote:
We all should believe!!!
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

AZCatGirl wrote:
Who thought we could play in the championship game a couple of weeks ago? Everything had to fall in place.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Fiesta no matter what or am I wrong?
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Main Event wrote:Fiesta no matter what or am I wrong?

there's a chance we get to the CFP
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Yeah but that's not THE Rose Bowl right? Not even the semis?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

catgrad97 wrote:Yeah but that's not THE Rose Bowl right? Not even the semis?
Depends on the committee.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

it could be
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Main Event wrote:Fiesta no matter what or am I wrong?
At this point the rose, fiesta and Alamo are all in play.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

No it's still THE rose bowl. Just is also a playoff game too.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

I voted for 10 games, and have been vindicated as a straight up Kook Aid drinker. Fuck all y'all!!
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

wyo-cat wrote:I voted for 10 games, and have been vindicated as a straight up Kook Aid drinker. Fuck all y'all!!
I said 10 with the bowl game. I'm alright with this!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

The Butcher

Post by The Butcher »

I'm not even sure what we need to happen in order to sneak into this 4 team play off. I think Kstate needs to kill Baylor and Iowa State beating TCU would be awesome. The committee is LOOKING for a reason to drop FSU down, and they almost had it today.

As it is, Miss St just took themselves out of it, and Baylor looked really bad vs a horrible Texas Tech team. Ohio State just lost their qb and Whisky winning would be great.

Other than that, I don't know what to hope for. But consider this: How on earth is the committee going to keep the Pac 12 Champ out of the final 4? Especially after that champ survived the Pac 12 South - arguably the toughest division in college football?

Somehow a Pac 12 team has to be represented in the final 4 - whether it's Oregon or Arizona. You can't leave a team out of one of the 2 toughest conferences in the country...can you?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

So for arguements sake let's say we move up to #8 this week ahead of UCLA, Georgia and Miss St.

That means the following teams will be in front of us:

Alabama
Oregon
FSU
Baylor
TCU
tOSU
Michigan State

I don't think Alabama is out even if they lose to Mizzou. I'm even on the fence that FSU would be out if they lost a close one to GT. Remember, they are the only team that is still undefeated at this point.

We would not only have to beat the ducks but MSU, tOSU, Baylor and TCU would have to lose as well. That would take an act of god imo.

Heading to Church this morning. ;)
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

EastCoastCat wrote:So for arguements sake let's say we move up to #8 this week ahead of UCLA, Georgia and Miss St.

That means the following teams will be in front of us:

Alabama
Oregon
FSU
Baylor
TCU
tOSU
Michigan State

I don't think Alabama is out even if they lose to Mizzou. I'm even on the fence that FSU would be out if they lost a close one to GT. Remember, they are the only team that is still undefeated at this point.

We would not only have to beat the ducks but MSU, tOSU, Baylor and TCU would have to lose as well. That would take an act of god imo.

Heading to Church this morning. ;)
MSU is done playing, and in my opinion should not continue to be ahead of the Cats. In their last 8 games they've played two ranked teams, beating a now unranked Nebraska and losing to OSU. Meanwhile the Cats beat the team MSU lost to, just beat two ranked teams (one on the road and one which was essentially the Pac12 South championship game), and play in a much tougher division and conference. Keeping MSU ahead of UA would indicate some pretty strong biases on the committee.

Ohio State could definitely lose to Wisconsin, which would eliminate the Big10 from consideration for the playoff altogether because Wisconsin's 2 losses are pretty bad.

Baylor looked bad against TTech and could definitely lose to KState. TCU is going to beat Iowa State. No illusions about that one.

So in that scenario we'd have Alabama, FSU, TCU, and the winner of Oregon/Arizona.

Dream big gentlemen...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Chicat wrote:Keeping MSU ahead of UA would indicate some pretty strong biases on the committee.
I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see Miss. St. and Mich. St. both ahead of us. in the next poll, which I think is dumb as among 2 loss teams we have by far the best resume, but it still wouldn't surprise me all that much to see it happen (hell, Mich. St. shouldn't have been ahead of us in the last poll). Biases will run strong.

::::and before anyone brings it up, yes I know Miss. St. has a pretty strong resume as well, but they only play 8 conference games (and how many of those teams they beat are still ranked?) and their OOC was worse than ours.

ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

It is not the next poll I am worried about, but the final one.

First we have to win, but the PAC 12 champ will be in the final 4.

I'm trying to figure out how we work our way into the Rose Bowl game. Not just because it is the Rose Bowl, but it would give us the best chance to win game 14 and play in game 15 for the National Championship!
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

ANGCatFan wrote:It is not the next poll I am worried about, but the final one.

First we have to win, but the PAC 12 champ will be in the final 4.

I'm trying to figure out how we work our way into the Rose Bowl game. Not just because it is the Rose Bowl, but it would give us the best chance to win game 14 and play in game 15 for the National Championship!
Ang, I think we have to be worried about the next poll, as it will give some indication as to what is possible in the final poll.

I'm not one who believes that the pac12 champ will automatically be in the Final 4. I think the SEC will get a team in no matter what, but the pac12? Nope, I don't think it's automatic. Especially if the winner is us. If they slot us at #8 for example, and no upsets happen above us except Oregon losing to us....I could easily see them only moving us up a few to #5 and then the Pac12 gets screwed.

Perhaps I just don't have faith in a system where voter bias has already been shown.

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I don't think anyone wants to see a scenario where the winner of one of the two best conferences in the country is left out of the Playoff in its inaugural year, least of all the committee. So while we've provided them with an easy excuse to leave us out by not playing anyone in the OOC, I don't think they'll use it.

The Pac champ gets in even if it's Arizona. Wins at Oregon, at Utah, against ASU, and then against Oregon at a neutral site are better than any win a team like Mississippi State can put up for comparison.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Go back and watch how the committee has worked this year. Team's have jumped based on the quality of wins. There is not a team left with a better opponent to play except for Missouri (who has a terrible loss on their resume).

If, and it is a huge if and the most important thing to worry about, we beat Oregon we would have 4 top 25 wins and no bad losses and be the champions of the 2nd best conference in college football. Someone will have to explain to me how we would not be in the final 4 with that resume with a better explanation than, "It's Arizona and we always get screwed in the end."
prh

Post by prh »

Miss St doesn't really have a good resume. They beat one team that will be ranked this week. Their losses are better than ours but that single win can't touch @OU, @UU, and South championship vs ASSU.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

You guys just have a lot more faith in the voters than I do :lol:

I think this next ranking will be telling.

::::

as an example of what I'm thinking:
http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... ll-playoff
Next four in contention
3. Arizona: The Wildcats won the Pac-12 South after they defeated rival Arizona State 42-35 and Stanford upset No. 8 UCLA 31-10 on Friday. Arizona would need some help in reaching the playoff, but upsetting Oregon for the second time this season would make for a compelling case.
so this guy would have us at #7, and yet still "need some help" even WITH a win again over Oregon.

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

The committee has stressed that they are looking at how you are playing now when ranking and that winning your conference championship will matter when determining who is going to what bowl.

Beat Oregon and I think we are in great shape.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

I want to post this image one more time to show how amazing it was that we won the South: (1 chance out of 12, 8.3%)

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

ANGCatFan wrote:Go back and watch how the committee has worked this year. Team's have jumped based on the quality of wins. There is not a team left with a better opponent to play except for Missouri (who has a terrible loss on their resume).

If, and it is a huge if and the most important thing to worry about, we beat Oregon we would have 4 top 25 wins and no bad losses and be the champions of the 2nd best conference in college football. Someone will have to explain to me how we would not be in the final 4 with that resume with a better explanation than, "It's Arizona and we always get screwed in the end."
Exactly. I agree with this and everyone else saying we'd be in with a win versus Oregon. Oregon already has huuuge respect from the committee being top2 most of the year. If we beat them twice, road and neutral?? Forget about it, we will be bumped to top4 guaranteed!
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

I am convinced.. Aside from beating UO, the only "help" we need is for tOSU to lose.

We will not pass a 0 or 1 loss Big 5 conference champion. If FSU, Bama, tOSU, and either Baylor or TCU win we won't make it, even with a win. FSU and Bama might likely still be in even if they lose.

No way do Baylor and TCU both make the playoff. The Big 12 does not have enough National respect to see that happen. I'll be more comfortable if K-State beats Baylor just to be safe, but will not we worrie even if they don't.

We would have the best win of the coming week... Would have the 2 best wins of the college season among teams in contention... We would have the most "respectable losses" among 2 loss teams in the conversation (save Mich St but they are not in contention for other reasons) because USC & UCLA will both be ranked... We represent a conference that is widely regarded as th 2nd best in FBS....And we come from a region that is otherwise not represented in the playoff.

As for that last point, so is tOSU - but they are on the bubble now, and they do not move up with a loss. Wisconsin will be below us in the polls, and do not jump us with a win over a lower ranked opponent.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

We're still behind MSU in the coaches poll lol
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Ohio State also lost their QB for the year. Unless the back-up plays like a star this weekend they will not have a chance at the playoffs. Oh, and losing to Va Tech at home should bump them out anyway.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »