Post by azgreg »

azgreg

Re: Official Pac-12 Championship discussion thread

Post by azgreg »

Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

azgreg wrote:
Forecast for the next 30 hours? How does MM throw in the rain? Anu doesn't throw as hard, so perhaps an advantage if it is raining?

Go Cats!!
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Kickoff tomorrow is forecasted to be 60 degrees with a 75% chance of rain and light winds from the south
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

scumdevils86 wrote:Kickoff tomorrow is forecasted to be 60 degrees with a 75% chance of rain and light winds from the south
Cat weather.

ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Javier Morales with his 5 OTBP story lines.
“I think we played two terrible games against Arizona,” Oregon running back Byron Marshall said. “We haven’t given them a good game in I don’t know how long. That kind of eats at us knowing that they beat us, but we weren’t at our best.”
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

PAC 12 Blog with a story on Oregon's defense wanting revenge.
“I think as a whole we understand that we need to practice harder because that’ll help us play better,” Washington said. “Last time we played Arizona, we made a lot of stupid mistakes and that led to some big plays. Understanding where we need to be and what we need to do -- those are the biggest differences.”
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

ESPN does a spree cast with Ted Miller and several other conference bloggers. There are some volume challenges with the host, but more championship week talk for the obsessed. Arizona Oregon discussion begins at 14 minutes.
Last edited by ANGCatFan on Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

28 hours to go so here is my favorite way to look back at the last 2 games.

3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

ANGCatFan wrote:28 hours to go so here is my favorite way to look back at the last 2 games.

Damn I would love that beast Kadeem running the ball in this games thats for sure!!!
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

ANGCatFan wrote:“I think we played two terrible games against Arizona,” Oregon running back Byron Marshall said. “We haven’t given them a good game in I don’t know how long. That kind of eats at us knowing that they beat us, but we weren’t at our best.”
This reminds me of SDSU in basketball. Players keep talking about how they should've won instead of looking at why they lost. In fact, Oregon reminds me of SDSU of last season. Regular season win at their place where we were in command pretty much the whole time, second time a neutral site where it was a close game but we did enough to win. Friday will probably be like the Sweet 16 game.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

Yup. Contrast that with RR when asked when the Cats would beat the Devils: "When we're better than them." Simple. Turned out to be this year!

Go Cats!!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

Anyone know how we have done on tickets?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Nice Q & A with Daniel Burke over at The Oregonian.

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.s ... e_ari.html
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

The believe factor with b our guys must be incredible. They have a coach that if you can play doesn't care if you were a 5 star guy or not recruited and walked on. They have a QB who has never not won a championship and has them at the door step of a championship never won in AZ football history.

Oregon may have more talent, more depth but in no way can they match our resolve. From the 36 point 4th quarter comeback against Cal to the Hill - Mary to the improbable UDUB implosion, we will find a way.

Oregon, get ready for your worse nightmare, 60 minutes of Arizona
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

azgreg wrote:
lol...no it won't. Love my CATS but that stadium is soul less.
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

CalStateTempe wrote:
azgreg wrote:
Terrible design for noise... And will likely only be around 40k in the stands.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Neutral is best
SportsMind

Post by SportsMind »

People bring up our play against Oregon in the last 2 years, but we kept that game 3 years ago pretty competitive until the end. We were only down 0-13 at half despite a bad snap on a FG, a missed 31 yd fg and a turnover on down despite having a 1st and goal on the 2. Lost 0-49 but it was 0-13 until the 7 min mark in the 3rd and out defense held them to 4 offensive TD's. Just sayin.
1560s Guy

Post by 1560s Guy »

You lost me at "Lost 0-49 but ..."

Still. Don't know which is stranger: This "Twilight Zone" feel or the 14.5 spread.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

SportsMind wrote:People bring up our play against Oregon in the last 2 years, but we kept that game 3 years ago pretty competitive until the end. We were only down 0-13 at half despite a bad snap on a FG, a missed 31 yd fg and a turnover on down despite having a 1st and goal on the 2. Lost 0-49 but it was 0-13 until the 7 min mark in the 3rd and out defense held them to 4 offensive TD's. Just sayin.
Yeah, are you trying to find a nugget of gold in a steaming pile of turd? There's nothing to find...
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

CalStateTempe wrote:
azgreg wrote:
The design of that stadium bugs me. You see the one side with the upper deck and then you see the other side with the massive skybox suites structure. I've been to a game in a skybox and you're so far removed from the atmosphere and the action on the field, and yet this is where they put the emphasis when they built the stadium. They might be able to get the Silicon Valley tech giants to shell out for the suites but they're doing this at the expense of creating a real home atmosphere.

That said, this should truly be a neutral site. Not a bad thing.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

azpenguin wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:
azgreg wrote:
The design of that stadium bugs me. You see the one side with the upper deck and then you see the other side with the massive skybox suites structure. I've been to a game in a skybox and you're so far removed from the atmosphere and the action on the field, and yet this is where they put the emphasis when they built the stadium. They might be able to get the Silicon Valley tech giants to shell out for the suites but they're doing this at the expense of creating a real home atmosphere.

That said, this should truly be a neutral site. Not a bad thing.
I'm not a niners fan by all means, but what is happening is the Silicon tech giants come for about half the game and then leave. The lower bowl looks so pitiful at the start of the 4th for most niners games.
waysouthcat

Post by waysouthcat »

Lets do this Cats! Maybe Oregon will beat us, but by god it won't be for lack of heart!

Bearing down in Saudi Arabia now, might have to change my handle to wayeastcat?
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Game day you sons of bitches!! T-minus 13 hours. Gonna be a longggg day in the office.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
cats101

Post by cats101 »

CalStateTempe wrote:
azgreg wrote:
:lol:

And the conference is locked in through 2017.

Rockin is MGM last year when you walked in and could hear the roar of the crowd 5 minutes before tip. I don't give Larry credit for that either, it was an obvious move from Staples Center.
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

Irish27 wrote:Prove the so-called experts wrong.
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... ight-up/15
I'm glad to see that, because 3 out of 4 guys on this panel picked us, which creeped me the hell out.
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... ed-to-know
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

azthrillhouse wrote:
Irish27 wrote:Prove the so-called experts wrong.
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... ight-up/15
I'm glad to see that, because 3 out of 4 guys on this panel picked us, which creeped me the hell out.
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... ed-to-know
I don't see the panel you're speaking of in that link. the author of the article picks oregon?
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

It's in the video at the top of that link

PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

azthrillhouse wrote:It's in the video at the top of that link

Ahhh thanks. I've got Flash disabled so I didn't even realize there was a video, just read the article. D'oh! :lol:
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Duck fans still carrying on about us cheering when Dixon went down. Dipshits.
Good For You

Post by Good For You »

I've seen 7 'Official' predictions and 5 of them are for Arizona. Fuck all this respect.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

I've been lucky because my schedule has allowed me to read, listen, and watch everything I could find on this weeks game. Sadly, or maybe as you would expect, most national media just repeat the same information and appear to have gotten all their Arizona knowledge from each other and watching highlights. AG and the local writers have been good, but I still think they have missed on some important points for this game.

So, based on my overconsumption of PAC 12 Championship game information and 20+ years of emersion in Wildcat football here is a collection of points I don't think have been emphasized enough or said at all about this game except maybe on Wildcat message boards.

First, this is one of the most important games in Arizona Football history. This can not be empahsized enough! We are playing in what amounts to a quarter-final game for the national championship. People are excited around town, but not yet Elite Eight excited. Much of Tucson has yet to grasp what the football team is playing for today and how a win could put Tucson and Arizona football in the national spotlight.

It shocks me that this next point hasn't been the lede on every national story. Today we get to watch the best offensive player in the country go head to head with the best defensive player in a championship game. How often does that happen?

Most of the country knows that Marcus Mariota is a great player, but they only know Scooby because of his unique name. Well, Phillip Wright III gets a chance to show the nation tonight that he is more than just a cute name with gaudy stats. He gets a chance to show the nation why he is on the Heisman ballot and a Walter Camp finalist and should be a consensus all-American along with Mariota.

Ok, now for some of the things the national media is saying. Did you know it is tough to beat the same team twice in one season? How about that Jake Fischer (the nation's most indispensable tackle) didn't play the first time Oregon and Arizona met? Or that Marcus Mariota wasn't 100% the first game? Maybe you haven't heard that Oregon has won all their games since losing to Arizona? How about that now Oregon really wants to beat Arizona? Well, if you take all that information and add in that Coach Rod was fired from Michigan and that Scooby is a beast you have 95% of most national stories on the game.

What isn't the media telling you about the first game? First and foremost, Arizona did not nearly play their best game. Anu was only in his 5th college game and only his second road game. We lost Bundage, maybe our most physical offensive lineman, during the game. And who was it that was taking advantage of Oregon's depleted offense line? Parker Zellers a 6 foot 245 pound walk-on, redshirt Freshman, nose tackle on his second start. We were a yard below our season average in yards/rush and 3 yards below our yards/catch average and had 3 more penalties for 15 more yards than average. When we beat Oregon at Arizona Stadium in 2013 we played a nearly perfect game, but this year we played just good not nearly great. We still have more to give Oregon tonight.

Finally, the worst analysis I heard was from a couple of Oregon guys and one from the national media. Their theory is that the only reason we won in Oregon is because Scooby Wright played the game of his life and since he won't be able to do that again Oregon has a big edge. All this shows is that the only Arizona game they have seen is when we played Oregon.

Scooby had 7 tackles, 1 sack, 1 TFL, 1 forced fumble, and 1 fumble recovery when we played Oregon. Pretty good stats, but not very impressive when you realize that the sack, forced fumble, and fumble recovery were all on one play. Take away the Scooby Sack and this was statistically his worst game of the year.

Tonight not only do the Ducks have to face the best individual defensive player in the country playing at his best, but a much improved Arizona defense that has been playing with Scooby's aggression and passion more and more each game.

Also, Arizona's offense still hasn't put together their best game. Could tonight be the night? To me the Wildcat offense is the key to the game. If we can execute, hit the open man, run the ball and play a complete offensive game we will win the PAC 12 Championship and spend the weekend worrying about if we will play in the Sugar or Rose Bowl.

All that said, I still think Oregon is the better team and the best bet to win, but, shoot, I thought that the last 2 times we played also. On the positive side, tonight is the first time since Oregon became the dominant power on the west coast that I think we have a good chance to beat them. We have nothing to lose. Arizona has already vastly exceeded everyone's expectations for this year and Oregon has to prove that they can finally win the big game.

Coach Rod and the Arizona Wildcats will be playing to win and Helfrich and the Ducks will be playing not to lose again to a team that could cost them a national championship 2 years in a row.

Bear Down! Demolish the Ducks! Win and we are in!
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I'm running through that brick wall for your AngCATFAN! Great write up the type of stuff that this website will need when we finally go big and live.

BEAR DOWN.

Nice write up again. wow.
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

Good For You wrote:I've seen 7 'Official' predictions and 5 of them are for Arizona. Fuck all this respect.
Those bastards!! There is no possible way we will win this game. None! We are a basketball school, and Oregon has really good players! Hell, I heard they practice 3 or 4 days a week! It is total BS that anyone would pick the Cats to even compete in this game, let alone win it. You would think if you got paid to do this prognostication stuff that you might do a little bit of research!

Bastards.

Go Cats!!
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Good post ANG! Time to put the country on notice tonight.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

1,000 reps to you Ang! You're the King of the board in my book!

BEAR DOWN!!!
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

Pac-12 Championship: How Arizona's offense can outpace Oregon

By John Harris
December 5, 2014

Don't call the Pac-12 title game yet. John Harris loves some Arizona offense, and if the Ducks aren't careful, they could be watching the College Football Playoff instead of playing in it.

Watching Rich Rodriguez's offense for years, I'm enamored with the number of wrinkles he consistently integrates into his schemes. It started over 20 years ago when his QB at Glenville State bobbled a shotgun snap and ran the other way. From those humble beginnings, it's evolved into one of the most complex (and hardest) offenses in the nation to stop. If Oregon doesn't find a way to slow it down in any fashion, it'll be watching the college football playoff instead of playing in it.

Earlier this season, Arizona was playing USC in the late slot on ESPN. Having spent all day watching games and having to work all day the next day with the Texans, I was ready to call it a night shortly into the game, but I wanted to see a little bit of Leonard Williams on the USC squad.

So I decided to watch Arizona’s first offensive drive of the game.

Let's just say that after the first play of the series, I quickly changed course and rationalized that I would watch Williams later. The Wildcats, under the direction of redshirt freshman QB Anu Solomon, ran something even more impressive than any option play I'd ever seen. We've all seen triple option football, but this was ridiculous. This was a split zone option read against USC that nearly accounted for a TD on the first drive of the game.

At last count, Solomon had five different options on one play: handoff, pull, pitch, throw to #1 (on the slant) or throw to #2 (up the sideline on the wheel). I ran it back 20 times. As long as Solomon read each step quickly and accurately, he had a buffet of options open to him. It was stealing six yards a pop and Solomon made it look much easier than it really was.

The fact that college offensive linemen "get" three yards of space to work without being ineligible downfield makes this offense nearly impossible to stop. OL can fire out at the line of scrimmage and make everything Arizona runs look like it's going to be a run. The ruse, if you will, sells linebackers and safeties on run, and then the Wildcats throw to open receivers all day. Auburn's Gus Malzahn and Rhett Lashlee are also maestros at utilizing the three yards of space for their OL, as well. Rodriguez has been doing it for a while in the college game and his offenses continue to expand, uh, let's say, their options.

So, here's a look at how Arizona utilized ALL of its options on one play. The OL blocked as a standard inside zone run with split zone blocking (bringing the slot No. 29 back across the formation in case the OLB closed down). Block zone run to the left.

The QB appeared to know, pre-snap, that he was going to pull the rock and then read through the OLB to the safety for his run or throw reads. He "ride and decided" the running back into the line then attacked the perimeter at a 30 degree angle to see if he'll get attention from the contain player, WLB or nickel safety, in this case OLB No. 58.

The WRs then ran a slant-wheel against what looks like quarters coverage. The #1 (outside receiver drove hard inside to draw the CB away from the sideline. The safety to that side who should’ve run with the wheel was drawn by the quarterback pulling the ball on what, to him, was zone read. He sprinted into the alley the entire way. The problem was that No. 58 had zone read responsibility on the QB as he played zone read perfectly. The safety didn’t and that left the #2 receiver up the sideline on the wheel WIDE open. Had the Arizona WR not stepped out of bounds a few yards upfield, it would’ve been an easy six points.

Stop all those options and then Arizona still has a few more cookies in the jar. Against Oregon, Rodriguez dialed up wheel routes by the RB from the backfield two separate times. The first resulted in a huge gain to set up a touchdown, while the second resulted in a touchdown.

Both times, the Ducks played press man on the two receivers into the short side of the field. Both receivers ran slant routes to create interference on the linebacker that had the RB in man coverage. Unfortunately for the Ducks, he forgot he had the back out of the backfield both times. But, had he remembered and ran over the top to get to a coverage spot and not get beat deep, the running back was taught to run the wheel stop - start up the sideline, see the LB downfield and break the route off at ten yards (or at a designated distance).

**If you're even, leave him, if he's waitin', he's bait**

Any offense can be stopped, that's clear, but Oregon's only lost to two teams in the Pac-12 the past two years. One (Stanford) found a way to slow down Oregon's multiple, fast-paced offense. The other is Arizona, and now you know why.

http://www.thesidelineview.com/columns/ ... ace-oregon
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

That may be the best football article ever written. Time to take a break, have a cigarette and a shower then I will be ready to read it again in 15 minutes.

Love articles breaking down our offense!

Bear Down! Maul the mallards! Win and we are in!

Oh, and Georgia Tech wins and we are talking Roses!
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Scooby is getting the attention and deservedly so, but Berk posted the stats on the safeties the past four games. Parks and Grandon have really come up big lately. If the safeties continue to play this well, Arizona's dangerous. I don't believe the Ducks can keep Arizona's offense in check for four quarters so this is going to be a time for the defense to shine.

Obviously we want to see AZ get into the playoff, but if anyone deserves this it's Tevis. He was a walk-on. He was a huge part of the success of 2012. And then 2013. And then 2014. For the past two offseasons people have been saying he's going to lose his starting spot because he's not as good as the rest of the safeties that have been coming up. He just keeps making plays (and don't forget that he was likely robbed of a fumble against Oregon last time around because the Ducks haven't put up a proper goal line camera system.) Win or lose, I expect the Cats to bring it tonight.
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

ANGCatFan wrote: First, this is one of the most important games in Arizona Football history. This can not be empahsized enough! We are playing in what amounts to a quarter-final game for the national championship. People are excited around town, but not yet Elite Eight excited. Much of Tucson has yet to grasp what the football team is playing for today and how a win could put Tucson and Arizona football in the national spotlight.
Epic post, liked this part especially. Honestly I think that our fan base was mentally unprepared for this level of success, and it just hasn't sunk in yet. I think Gimino did the math that the odds against us being here based on where we were 2-3 weeks ago would be like 1 in 1000 (UCLA beating USC and then losing to Stanford, us pulling out the UW game, etc.) If you're a casual fan, it's not like there was this gradual buildup of buzz that we were championship-caliber.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

I agree with Berk that the DBs have stepped up their game, but so has the defensive line since Sani Fuimaono became a significant part of the rotation. Sani has played great and given Zellers chances to rest allowing him to play better.

I think the biggest factor is that the team is following Scooby's lead. Be smart, be in position, and then go all out on every play. The "just do what Scooby do" defense.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

azthrillhouse wrote:
ANGCatFan wrote: First, this is one of the most important games in Arizona Football history. This can not be empahsized enough! We are playing in what amounts to a quarter-final game for the national championship. People are excited around town, but not yet Elite Eight excited. Much of Tucson has yet to grasp what the football team is playing for today and how a win could put Tucson and Arizona football in the national spotlight.
Epic post, liked this part especially. Honestly I think that our fan base was mentally unprepared for this level of success, and it just hasn't sunk in yet. I think Gimino did the math that the odds against us being here based on where we were 2-3 weeks ago would be like 1 in 1000 (UCLA beating USC and then losing to Stanford, us pulling out the UW game, etc.) If you're a casual fan, it's not like there was this gradual buildup of buzz that we were championship-caliber.

exactly...i don't think people realize the magnitude of this quite yet. hell i'm an az sports addict and probably am more invested than 95% of the population and I still can't really grasp it. if we win tonight...well I can not even fathom how awesome it is going to be leading up to our game to play for a football champ. wow

but i won't be too sad if we lose...haha
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

scumdevils86 wrote:
azthrillhouse wrote:

exactly...i don't think people realize the magnitude of this quite yet. hell i'm an az sports addict and probably am more invested than 95% of the population and I still can't really grasp it. if we win tonight...well I can not even fathom how awesome it is going to be leading up to our game to play for a football champ. wow

but i won't be too sad if we lose...haha
If we win...I will be at a Jan 1st game. Book it.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

no one on the main board really gives us a shot. the ohio state fans are a riot. they are convinced that there is no way that AZ would get into the playoff over them and think that AZ is a "cute" little team.
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

scumdevils86 wrote:no one on the main board really gives us a shot. the ohio state fans are a riot. they are convinced that there is no way that AZ would get into the playoff over them and think that AZ is a "cute" little team.
Fuckeye fans leave me sympathetic towards UM. Annoying.