Perspective from a girl

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Longhorned

Perspective from a girl

Post by Longhorned »

My wife said, "You should feel good because Arizona did so well this year and got so close."

I hope that made you feel as good as it did me.
FreeSpiritCat

Re: Perspective from a girl

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

That's funny. I usually get over these disasters fairly quickly. I'm already moving on. It won't ruin my evening. Maybe I act this way because I'm getting close to a senior citizen and I've seen this happen so many times in my life that it doesn't affect me like it used to. Opportunity lost and life goes on. I just wish the Cats would have competed.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

I stay an Arizona fan because the defense, even tonight, never stops fighting.

There were a few scary moments in the oughts and Mackovic mutiny, but I will stay as long as the D does.
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

catgrad97 wrote:I stay an Arizona fan because the defense, even tonight, never stops fighting.

There were a few scary moments in the oughts and Mackovic mutiny, but I will stay as long as the D does.
Yes. Defense doesn't quit.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Longhorned wrote:My wife said, "You should feel good because Arizona did so well this year and got so close."

I'm a girl and I think that's bull. Losing a close game is okay. Getting embarrassed on national TV is not.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
DaddyO'Cat

Post by DaddyO'Cat »

AZCatGirl wrote:
Longhorned wrote:My wife said, "You should feel good because Arizona did so well this year and got so close."

I'm a girl and I think that's bull. Losing a close game is okay. Getting embarrassed on national TV is not.
That's always my mindset too. Once in a while you may just be completely overmatched but you could tell it was mental with RR and Anu tonight until it got out of hand and gained a life of it's own. Bad.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

I must be a girl because that's exactly how I feel. Getting to the game was the accomplishment we could only have dreamed of. If someone told you at the beginning of the season we would get blown out by Oregon in the Championship Game after winning the Pac-12 South, would you take it?

F YEA!

Plus, our team is young, we have studs, especially on offense, who are freshmen. Anu and Wilson as seniors? Yes please.

We'll probably be favorites to win the south next year, and in the championship game, we won't be afraid of the stage.
Cactuscat

Post by Cactuscat »

Catintheheat wrote:That's funny. I usually get over these disasters fairly quickly. I'm already moving on. It won't ruin my evening. Maybe I act this way because I'm getting close to a senior citizen and I've seen this happen so many times in my life that it doesn't affect me like it used to. Opportunity lost and life goes on. I just wish the Cats would have competed.

Damn dude, this is exactly how I feel....nice post.

Am I upset, no....disappointed, yes
Luuuuuuuute

Post by Luuuuuuuute »

I agree with most of you, especially your wife Longhorned. I know it sounds like a defeatist soccer mom to say, "We're playing with house money so whatever happens, I'm happy," but that's how I felt going into yesterday. Before this season, I had a realisitcally optimistic W-L record of 9-3 and we exceeded that, won the South and beat asu. The Pac-12 title game was gravy to me, maybe because I really didn't expect to beat Oregon with the roll they've been on recently.

We were ranked 7th, in the national conversation the first weekend of December.... in FOOTBALL! Had I told you that 2 years ago when we were starting 5 walk-ons on defense, who wouldn't have signed up for that?!

Here's some more perspective: I look at last night and the Elite Eight game against Wisconsin similarly in that each had a Final Four berth on the line. The loss in March stung VERY BAD, and it still does, because I think we had a legit shot of winning it all. Last night feels different to me, because it was so unexpected, and rather than feeling like we blew a perfect opportunity I'm comforted by the fact that this year was only the beginning and it should only get better from here. This was the "win small" year in the 4-year plan, and we did that a lot.

Think of all the high-level recruits we were so excited about, and they redshirted this year. Rich Rod is building for the long haul, not a quick fix, and he has guys recruited for his system all over the field, and many of them are still frosh or sophomores.

The future is bright for both programs, but my expectation levels are still different. It's Rich Rod's job to change that to the point we EXPECT to compete for Final Fours, and it appears he's well on his way.

BEAR DOWN!
BMalo

Post by BMalo »

Was disappointed with the blowout but he'll of a season and I'm damn proud. I'm a little dejected and can't believe that there is still a chance for an 11th win. Very exciting times for UofA football in coming years.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

BMalo wrote:Was disappointed with the blowout but he'll of a season and I'm damn proud. I'm a little dejected and can't believe that there is still a chance for an 11th win. Very exciting times for UofA football in coming years.
Totally. Bear down

(What a difference some sleep makes for perspective)
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I'm not trying to be derisive of defeatists, let alone "girls." I hope the thread title and OP was funny and brought a little smile of self-awareness. When she said that to me, I was honestly appalled, while at the same time aware of what an ass I am for being appalled, and the stereotyped patterns of sports behavior that I've solidified in myself over time. Our earliest experience of disconnect in caring about sports-related outcomes commonly falls along the line that used to divide the boys from their sisters and their friends (who, by absurd convention, the boys didn't encourage to join them in the first place). We grow old but are still childish when it comes to sports, and you kind of have to be.

I think the more positive "girl's" perspective is right, and if we brought to the rest of life our high expectations for a sudden change to our football program, we'd live pretty stupidly as adults. Not a big deal to be disappointed with a big and consequential loss in football. But it is realistic to keep higher expectations for Arizona basketball. Oregon is a football school, Arizona is a basketball school, and it's not all bad to maintain that sense of order. College football is awesome, but the NCAA tourney for basketball is the biggest and craziest sporting event in America.
Scummy Dick Douglas

Post by Scummy Dick Douglas »

Bosy Billups wrote:

I must be a girl because that's exactly how I feel. Getting to the game was the accomplishment we could only have dreamed of. If someone told you at the beginning of the season we would get blown out by Oregon in the Championship Game after winning the Pac-12 South, would you take it?

F YEA!

Plus, our team is young, we have studs, especially on offense, who are freshmen. Anu and Wilson as seniors? Yes please.

We'll probably be favorites to win the south next year, and in the championship game, we won't be afraid of the stage.[/quote]

UCLA will be favored to win the South next year.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Yeah ucla should be the favorite. They return probably 8 guys on defense and 9 on offense. They'll be hyped even more than this year preseason especially if they win their bowl. If they do they'll probably be top 6 preseason with their only hole and major loss being hundley
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Forget about next year, UCLA probably jumped Arizona for bowl considerations this year.
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

Longhorned wrote:Forget about next year, UCLA probably jumped Arizona for bowl considerations this year.
I would agree with this. My guess is that Arizona is either going to the Alamo Bowl or Holiday Bowl.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Longhorned wrote:Forget about next year, UCLA probably jumped Arizona for bowl considerations this year.
Agree. We're 3rd on the list. Which is why i think we end up in the holiday

qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

Catintheheat wrote:
I would agree with this. My guess is that Arizona is either going to the Alamo Bowl or Holiday Bowl.
Why? Those assholes lost horribly to Stanford with everything to play for...at home!

10-3 is better than 9-3.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

qwertyus wrote: Why? Those assholes lost horribly to Stanford with everything to play for...at home!

10-3 is better than 9-3.
I think the "why" is because it's not the record of the teams that is the driving force behind a lot of bowl selections. If given the choice between a couple/few teams, they're going to pick the team that makes them the most money, not necessarily the one with the better record.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

qwertyus wrote:
Catintheheat wrote:
Why? Those assholes lost horribly to Stanford with everything to play for...at home!

10-3 is better than 9-3.
Ucla=more $$$$$$

That's all

Salty

Post by Salty »

UCLA barely travels to San Diego much less San Antonio.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

So we lost a game (badly). I still love this group of guys. What a fantastic season!!
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

i want Arizona to be a football school too. Having a great basketball program is great but College Football is God's Sport and the CFP made it even better. Now you don't have to be a nationally recognized powerhouse to get ranked high, you just need to win baby.