Catstatic

Re: 2015 recruits/commitment thread

Post by Catstatic »

Had my teenage boys watch this. Their response: "That kid is a genius!"

Go Cats!!
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Kind've a bum recruiting weekend - LB Thomas reaffirms his commit to ASU after mulling over UA & McClatcher commits to Washington after being a heavy UA lean.

So sick of Washington recruiting all of our commits.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

CatsbyAZ wrote:Kind've a bum recruiting weekend - LB Thomas reaffirms his commit to ASU after mulling over UA & McClatcher commits to Washington after being a heavy UA lean.

Bear Down or Get Down! Fuck em! We will roll them both next year! On to the next one!
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Catstatic wrote:
Had my teenage boys watch this. Their response: "That kid is a genius!"

Go Cats!!
My favorite part is when he's actually in the game and drops the pass. Awesome :lol:
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

CatsbyAZ wrote:Kind've a bum recruiting weekend - LB Thomas reaffirms his commit to ASU after mulling over UA & McClatcher commits to Washington after being a heavy UA lean.

Meh...we have a plethora of short fast guys, so not so sad to see McClatcher go. To bad for Thomas...should be fun watching our O make a clown out of him for the next 4/5 years.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Looks like D. Young is a Cornhusker commit!
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

3goggles wrote:Looks like D. Young is a Cornhusker commit!
What a waste!

Did we just flat out not recruit him?!?!

How in the world he ends up at a fledging Nebraska program while our linebackers are winning national awards!
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

I am a little discouraged right now that we cannot pull some of the kids of late. We are at an all-time high for this program and we are losing kids to UW, ASSU, NEB and possibly WAZZU. I just thought with our strong season and Scooby's stock raising it would've tanslated in recruiting!
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

3goggles wrote:I am a little discouraged right now that we cannot pull some of the kids of late. We are at an all-time high for this program and we are losing kids to UW, ASSU, NEB and possibly WAZZU. I just thought with our strong season and Scooby's stock raising it would've tanslated in recruiting!
I'm not discouraged at all. I want 3 DE/DT's to fill our remaining spots. I'm more interested to see how we did with that 4* DT we had in this weekend
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

whatisee wrote:
3goggles wrote:I am a little discouraged right now that we cannot pull some of the kids of late. We are at an all-time high for this program and we are losing kids to UW, ASSU, NEB and possibly WAZZU. I just thought with our strong season and Scooby's stock raising it would've tanslated in recruiting!
I'm not discouraged at all. I want 3 DE/DT's to fill our remaining spots. I'm more interested to see how we did with that 4* DT we had in this weekend
Who do you really seeing us landing? R. Williams(MSU Hard Lean), JoJo Wicker(OU, UCLA Hard Lean), Fotu(UDUB Hard Lean). Its going to be very hard to land any of those kids listed. Whats the word on Brian Calhun from Deer Valley 3*. He is 6-7 260. Big Kid any skill to go with his size?
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

whatisee wrote:
This past weekend is a letdown anyway you look at it.

-Loss of a highly talented LB. Worst part is he confirms commitment to our biggest rival.
-Loss of a long time UA lean who decides to stick around a down-trending UW program. Worst part is his motivation to academically qualify was in large part motivated by UA coaches.
-Now, the loss of a talented instate prospect who would've been a 3-4 year staple in the LB corps. Worst part is he goes to a Nebraska program where other AZ signees have flamed out - DL Avery Moss serving longterm suspensions and DL Peat unable to crack the two-deep.

Any one of these three prospects would've instantly been the 2nd highest rated commit (behind Keenan.) The argument isn't, well, it's just one recruit. It's the overall picture of in-aggregate losing out on what would comprise a reliable core of talent.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

3goggles wrote:
whatisee wrote:
Who do you really seeing us landing? R. Williams(MSU Hard Lean), JoJo Wicker(OU, UCLA Hard Lean), Fotu(UDUB Hard Lean). Its going to be very hard to land any of those kids listed. Whats the word on Brian Calhun from Deer Valley 3*. He is 6-7 260. Big Kid any skill to go with his size?
Well we had Wicker on campus this weekend, so hopefully that went well. Not sure how we're doing with the rest of the guys, but i think it's still a little early to panic. Might be able to snag a transfer or two as well, so i'm going to stay patient
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

CatsbyAZ wrote:
whatisee wrote:

-Loss of a highly talented LB. Worst part is he confirms commitment to our biggest rival.
-Loss of a long time UA lean who decides to stick around a down-trending UW program. Worst part is his motivation to academically qualify was in large part motivated by UA coaches.
-Now, the loss of a talented instate prospect who would've been a 3-4 year staple in the LB corps. Worst part is he goes to a Nebraska program where other AZ signees have flamed out - DL Avery Moss serving longterm suspensions and DL Peat unable to crack the two-deep.

Any one of these three prospects would've instantly been the 2nd highest rated commit (behind Keenan.) The argument isn't, well, it's just one recruit. It's the overall picture of in-aggregate losing out on what would comprise a reliable core of talent.
Thomas was already committed to the scum, so i don't look at that as a loss. Not to mention the LB corp is pretty solid next year. Which is why the AZ kid went to Nebraska to be a black shirt i imagine. That defense is worse than ours. And like i said before. We have enough 5'8" guys right now. We need DT/DE's. When we start losing all those guys color me worried.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

whatisee wrote:
3goggles wrote:
whatisee wrote:
Well we had Wicker on campus this weekend, so hopefully that went well. Not sure how we're doing with the rest of the guys, but i think it's still a little early to panic. Might be able to snag a transfer or two as well, so i'm going to stay patient
No panicing on my end being a little disappointed with the weekend is okay. I thought we had a good shot at Young and McClatcher. There are still plenty of kids to go after. Call me foolish to think with the week we had in the spotlight with all the award shows I thought it may sway those few kids our way.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

McClatcher was never coming to Arizona. Dedrick is a hit, but I don't think it's a huge one. He's a player, but they're are other guys out there and I think that we'll end the class well regardless. Fotu isn't a UW lean.. Calhoun isn't happening.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

catinfl wrote:McClatcher was never coming to Arizona. Dedrick is a hit, but I don't think it's a huge one. He's a player, but they're are other guys out there and I think that we'll end the class well regardless. Fotu isn't a UW lean.. Calhoun isn't happening.
Why is Calhoun not happening. I know nothing about him. Is he not skilled enough? Just Curious.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

catinfl wrote:McClatcher was never coming to Arizona. Dedrick is a hit, but I don't think it's a huge one. He's a player, but they're are other guys out there and I think that we'll end the class well regardless. Fotu isn't a UW lean.. Calhoun isn't happening.
so we are 33.34% with Fotu?
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

3goggles wrote:
Why is Calhoun not happening. I know nothing about him. Is he not skilled enough? Just Curious.
Coaches pulled his offer a long time ago.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Fotu left his trip early @UW to come to Arizona and was sitting right by RR at the basketball game.
rickyk

Post by rickyk »

Fotu has been saying for weeks his top 3 were UW, AZ and Miss. State. The fact that he liked, but did not particularly love his trip to Seattle and cut it short to visit us can only be viewed as a positive. If we land him--he's supposedly signing on Wednesday (somewhere)--and Wicker, to go with McGinnis I will be thrilled.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

catinfl wrote:
3goggles wrote:
Coaches pulled his offer a long time ago.
cool good to know!
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

rickyk wrote:Fotu has been saying for weeks his top 3 were UW, AZ and Miss. State. The fact that he liked, but did not particularly love his trip to Seattle and cut it short to visit us can only be viewed as a positive. If we land him--he's supposedly signing on Wednesday (somewhere)--and Wicker, to go with McGinnis I will be thrilled.
Any chance that having McGinnis's teammate coming to UA will help us? What chance to you give us to bring him in?
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

catinfl wrote:Fotu left his trip early @UW to come to Arizona and was sitting right by RR at the basketball game.
Thats awesome to hear!
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

And it gets worse! Yes, blah, blah, blah, we've known for a while, but Ricky McCoy confirmed his commitment with Washington.

What happened with McCoy's recruiting anyway? Fresno has produced quality talent for the Pac 12 and we could've used another DT.

Washington continues to pillage UA targets and commits.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

CatsbyAZ wrote:And it gets worse! Yes, blah, blah, blah, we've known for a while, but Ricky McCoy confirmed his commitment with Washington.

What happened with McCoy's recruiting anyway? Fresno has produced quality talent for the Pac 12 and we could've used another DT.

UDUB is closing on ASSU with my current hate!!! Seriously FUCK UDUB!!!
The Ooh Aah Man

Post by The Ooh Aah Man »

CatsbyAZ wrote:And it gets worse! Yes, blah, blah, blah, we've known for a while, but Ricky McCoy confirmed his commitment with Washington.

McCoy is a DE/TE not a DT and Arizona stopped recruiting him because he wanted to take other visits after committing. Standard RR move. Not a big loss.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

CatsbyAZ wrote:
whatisee wrote:

Agree on the let-down comment. I've said before that I'm sold on RRod except for his recruiting. I had high hopes during the Desert Swarm era that we might finally break through......at least with defensive recruits, but it never materialized. The better defensive recruits kept on signing with the usual suspects (SC/UCLA/UDub). What did Tony Mason say about his SC counterpart......."He's selling Heismans and I'm selling Cactus"? Bottom line is that previous successful years never translated into better recruiting.

I think we'll know for sure if the recent on-the-field success translates into improved recruiting by fall camp. RRod likes to lock recruits up early. If we have six 2 star recruits and a couple of 3 stars on board then we'll know that the program has likely topped out under the present regime. We have to get better players, especially lineman, if we hope to consistently compete with the upper echelons of the PAC12. USC is not going to stay down for long, asu is killing it on the recruiting trail and UCLA/UDub/UO are signing the usual list of highly ranked players.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

OMG, the Debbie downer if AZ football has Spoken once again. No doubt we won't win at Wazzu or at Utah and we won't be favored after our OOC season is over. 6-6 will be a great season.

I think RR and staff know what there doing and they have a south crown and a BCS bowl game to prove it. I doubt it will be there last one with us
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

azcat49 wrote:OMG, the Debbie downer if AZ football has Spoken once again. No doubt we won't win at Wazzu or at Utah and we won't be favored after our OOC season is over. 6-6 will be a great season.

I think RR and staff know what there doing and they have a south crown and a BCS bowl game to prove it. I doubt it will be there last one with us
I think you need to pull your head out of your rose colored arse and take a deep breath.
If it were not for a Hail Mary miracle and a UDub coach stupid enough not to take a knee we finish with 8 wins (and thats not counting playing UO with 1/5th of their starting offensive line). We could just as easily be 7-5 without the LUCK we had this year. If you can't handle the truth then I can't help you.

Bottom line, we need to recruit better or SC/UCLA/UDub/UO (the teams that dominated us at the LOS) will continue to do so.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

The fact is dick weed that did happen (UDUB and Cal) and this coaching staff did win 10 games and counting. The sky isn't falling like you think.

Sure we all want 5 star kids but we get who we get. Michigan is full of 4 and 5 star kids and they can't win crap.

RR is the best combo of coach and recruiter this school has seen. You haven't been right all year. Go root for ASSU if you like there class so much
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

azcat49 wrote:The fact is dick weed that did happen (UDUB and Cal) and this coaching staff did win 10 games and counting. The sky isn't falling like you think.

Sure we all want 5 star kids but we get who we get. Michigan is full of 4 and 5 star kids and they can't win crap.

RR is the best combo of coach and recruiter this school has seen. You haven't been right all year. Go root for ASSU if you like there class so much
Yes Udub and Cal did happen.........and once again if you can't handle the truth that both wins were incredibly
LUCKY then i can't help you. Perhaps you should find another board to post on where everyone blindly agrees with you...........Dick Weed.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Bottom line is we got it done and you were wrong all year long. You only come around to post your doom and gloom. It is a pitiful existence that you live in and those around you must be miserable.

I am sure you will take Boise St and post long and hard should they win.
eoe

Post by eoe »

dmjcat wrote:
azcat49 wrote:The fact is dick weed that did happen (UDUB and Cal) and this coaching staff did win 10 games and counting. The sky isn't falling like you think.

Yes Udub and Cal did happen.........and once again if you can't handle the truth that both wins were incredibly
LUCKY then i can't help you. Perhaps you should find another board to post on where everyone blindly agrees with you...........Dick Weed.
If USC wasn't so lucky our kicker missed an easy FG and UCLA didn't have the fortune of playing against a very beat up Arizona, we are 12-1 and in the playoffs right now at worst or 13-0 as the no.1 if it weren't for Anu's ankle screwing us vs UO in the championship.

Your stupidity knows no bounds my friend. Being objective means looking at everything, not just the events that fit your narrative.

That said, Rich Rod's recruiting has been terrible on paper. Somehow, we won 10 games with guys like Matthews at LBer, Zellers at NT (easily the most shocking), Tevis at Bandit, a litany of no names on the DLine, two freshman at DB, etc. Not sure how they have made it work, but it's incredibly impressive none-the-less.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

dmjcat wrote:
azcat49 wrote:OMG, the Debbie downer if AZ football has Spoken once again. No doubt we won't win at Wazzu or at Utah and we won't be favored after our OOC season is over. 6-6 will be a great season.

I think you need to pull your head out of your rose colored arse and take a deep breath.
If it were not for a Hail Mary miracle and a UDub coach stupid enough not to take a knee we finish with 8 wins (and thats not counting playing UO with 1/5th of their starting offensive line). We could just as easily be 7-5 without the LUCK we had this year. If you can't handle the truth then I can't help you.

Bottom line, we need to recruit better or SC/UCLA/UDub/UO (the teams that dominated us at the LOS) will continue to do so.
Let me know when style points count and "what if's" actually mean something?

Stay with me on this, Wazzu didn't beat us even though you thought they would because they beat us LY (it was stupid when you said it and it's even more so now).

Utah was suppose to beat us as well because they have a great running game and oh ya, their DL was going to stuff our run game. That game was never in doubt and we were 3 yards short of hanging another 300 yards rushing on them for the third straight year.

If anybody needs to pull it's head of their ass it's you. Nothing you predicted TY was even close to being true. Our QB was going to suck as would our run game because you don't replace a Kadeem Carey. Our DL sucked so our D was going to suck as well.

Now our recruiting sucks as well? I wonder if it helps to show recruits how our staff can coach up a 2 star player into the best defensive player in the country? No, you're right it probably won't help at all. Not now or in the future. Seriously though, other than all of the above, you're killing it. You continue to prove my point in regards to you being the poster child for suck ass UA football fan. Slow golf clap for you!!
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

azcat49 wrote:Bottom line is we got it done and you were wrong all year long. You only come around to post your doom and gloom. It is a pitiful existence that you live in and those around you must be miserable.

Yes, we did "get it done"................and there are at least a few Wildcat fans that have the brains to realize that we were LUCKY to "get it done". Pitiful existence???.........ROTFLMAO!!! I was on hand for both the Cal and UW games and cheered the Cats on to victory in both games. I had the good sense to realize, however, that we should have lost both games. I'm not a fan boy who thinks we are the 2nd coming of Alabama on the west coast.

By they way, I think we will beat Boise State.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

eoe wrote:
dmjcat wrote:

If USC wasn't so lucky our kicker missed an easy FG and UCLA didn't have the fortune of playing against a very beat up Arizona, we are 12-1 and in the playoffs right now at worst or 13-0 as the no.1 if it weren't for Anu's ankle screwing us vs UO in the championship.

Your stupidity knows no bounds my friend. Being objective means looking at everything, not just the events that fit your narrative.

That said, Rich Rod's recruiting has been terrible on paper. Somehow, we won 10 games with guys like Matthews at LBer, Zellers at NT (easily the most shocking), Tevis at Bandit, a litany of no names on the DLine, two freshman at DB, etc. Not sure how they have made it work, but it's incredibly impressive none-the-less.

Objective???? Suuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeee. Objectively, I'm sure that RRod planned all along to win the Cal game on a one in a thousand Hail Mary pass. And I'm sure that RRod "objectively" planned to recover a fumble against a UW squad that could have simply taken a knee and won the game.

ROTFLMAO!!!
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Back to recruiting.........which is the point of this thread.

I realize that coaches are slit-throat when it comes to recruiting but I have to wonder what sleaze-ball coaches spoke with McCoy.

http://washington.scout.com/story/14924 ... o-uw?s=147

Specifically I am referring to this quote:

"After I had committed to come play tight end, when I talked to some other coaches they let me know that (UA) were signing other tight ends as well," said McCoy. "This doesn't sound right; maybe they want to switch my position? I had no idea. After that, I decided to start looking around and got some new offers."
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

dmjcat wrote:Back to recruiting.........which is the point of this thread.

I realize that coaches are slit-throat when it comes to recruiting but I have to wonder what sleaze-ball coaches spoke with McCoy.

"After I had committed to come play tight end, when I talked to some other coaches they let me know that (UA) were signing other tight ends as well," said McCoy. "This doesn't sound right; maybe they want to switch my position? I had no idea. After that, I decided to start looking around and got some new offers."
Wow!! That's some crazy stuff right there. Is that it? That's the story?

So Cloy didn't expect Arizona to have any TE's on the roster or did he just not expect Arizona to recruit any other TE's at all? It's called competition. All that and this kid wanted to take additional visits after committing to Arizona and RR as has always been the case said thanks but no thanks. So I guess we're screwed next year because we didn't get Cloy? Damn, who knew that the TE position would prove to be so critical? SMH
eoe

Post by eoe »

dmjcat wrote:
eoe wrote:
dmjcat wrote:

Objective???? Suuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeee. Objectively, I'm sure that RRod planned all along to win the Cal game on a one in a thousand Hail Mary pass. And I'm sure that RRod "objectively" planned to recover a fumble against a UW squad that could have simply taken a knee and won the game.

ROTFLMAO!!!
Not the point whatsoever. Stay with me here, the fact that you tout yourself as an objective observer and 49 as a biased, rose-colored glasses owning fan is fucking asinine. You can't on one hand rattle off games that went our way, while completely ignoring games where extrinsic factors and poor luck doomed us.

Arizona lost to USC on a second missed FG and our two star players were banged up half the year, especially in a couple of critical games (Oregon in the CS game and @UCLA). That's not an excuse for losing, we earned the losses we have.

You are a shit poster and you should feel bad. Arizona had games and events go their way some times and other times not. What you're left with is a 10-3 record and our 1st Pac-12 south title. Take the L and eat crow. It's okay to be terribly wrong.
eoe

Post by eoe »

Honestly, if McCoy wasn't going to be playing at DE, who the hell cares. No need for that many TEs.

The prospects we target on the offensive end are mind-numbingly stupid half the time. It's gotten to the point I hope we miss out on kids or have someone else recruit them (we don't need 15 5'9 Ath/DB/WRs on the roster).

Recruit for the DLine and maybe another DB for depth and call it a wrap. We can recruit offense heavy next year.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

dmjcat wrote:Back to recruiting.........which is the point of this thread.

Dmj, you're way out there. 'OMG, RichRod is recruiting another kid at my position? And he TOLD me about it? What a sleaze ball!' :roll:
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

dmjcat wrote:
azcat49 wrote:Bottom line is we got it done and you were wrong all year long. You only come around to post your doom and gloom. It is a pitiful existence that you live in and those around you must be miserable.

Yes, we did "get it done"................and there are at least a few Wildcat fans that have the brains to realize that we were LUCKY to "get it done". Pitiful existence???.........ROTFLMAO!!! I was on hand for both the Cal and UW games and cheered the Cats on to victory in both games. I had the good sense to realize, however, that we should have lost both games. I'm not a fan boy who thinks we are the 2nd coming of Alabama on the west coast.

By they way, I think we will beat Boise State.
Oh sh*t, we are doomed as you havn't been right all year. Hopefully this time you are.

Let me remind you that football games are 60 minutes long and every play counts. The Hill-Mary and the UDub handoff all count.

If you want to be selective or call a team lucky then I guess Bama, who should have lost to LSU (kick off OOB put them at the 40 with a short field for a tieing FG) and Florida St should be about 7-5. Hey but guess what, neither is and both are playing for a NC. Thats football.
Scummy Dick Douglas

Post by Scummy Dick Douglas »

I have yet to witness a championship run in which the championship contenders do not have at least a few lucky breaks go their way. Its the nature of the game. Can anyone recall a championship team that completely dominated every game of a season/post season? I am not sure it has ever happened.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Scummy Dick Douglas wrote:I have yet to witness a championship run in which the championship contenders do not have at least a few lucky breaks go their way. Its the nature of the game. Can anyone recall a championship team that completely dominated every game of a season/post season? I am not sure it has ever happened.
1995 Nebraska team. One of the greatest of all-time.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Irish27 wrote:
Scummy Dick Douglas wrote:I have yet to witness a championship run in which the championship contenders do not have at least a few lucky breaks go their way. Its the nature of the game. Can anyone recall a championship team that completely dominated every game of a season/post season? I am not sure it has ever happened.
1995 Nebraska team. The greatest of all-time.
Fixed that for you. They trailed once all year long. Averaged 400 yards rushing and opponents averaged 72. Average margin of victory was 38 points. There's so many mind-boggling stats about that team (example, allowed 5 punt returns all year for a total of 12 yards), but I don't think we'll ever see a team that dominant again.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Just watching the U Part 2 that Miami team in '01 was pretty dominant. Had a close game at VT though. The Nebraska team in '95 was unreal though. They dropped 77 on the Scum lol, Nebraska was up 63-21 at the half!
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

Any team that kicks the shit out of ASU is alright by me.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Tezino committed to the Pirate.