Tech by 20.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
84Cat

Re: Texas Tech at Arizona discussion thread

Post by 84Cat »

Wash St won by 21 and they play ASU next week so we should have a pretty good idea what we're up against. The honeymoon will be over if we lose to TT at home. Hopefully we don't get too banged up at Utah
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Carcassdragger wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 12:49 pm Tech by 20.
Get fucking real
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

84Cat wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 12:52 pm Wash St won by 21 and they play ASU next week so we should have a pretty good idea what we're up against. The honeymoon will be over if we lose to TT at home. Hopefully we don't get too banged up at Utah
Loser talk back in full force
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

I don't care if this is "loser talk" we are super fucked:
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

AZCatGirl wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 1:29 pm I don't care if this is "loser talk" we are super fucked:
Pathetic
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Keep root root rooting for for legacy townie below average coaches. But helps the old guard feel good cause he’s a Tomey guy.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

There is no other way to look at it. We are not a good team and it's because of this coaching staff.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

CalStateTempe wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 1:45 pm Keep root root rooting for for legacy townie below average coaches. But helps the old guard feel good cause he’s a Tomey guy.
This has to be coming from a big donor to recreate the Tomey era. I imagine the guys here that know, know who it is.

I was just thinking of Tomey earlier when it was posted that the Cats missed 17 tackles last night. Reminded me of The Pigskin Classic, where Tomey had sort of gave up recruiting, and didn't have enough personal so he didn't have any tackling practice to avoid injuries. So the Cats go to Happy Valley, and instead of tackling the PSU ball carrier, they thought they could put a shoulder into him and knock him down. We all know what happened. That was the beginning of the end for Tomey. That and unwilling to go for it on 3rd and long. So definitely coaching.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Once again Merk doing his Jethro Tull.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CalStateTempe wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 1:45 pm Keep root root rooting for for legacy townie below average coaches. But helps the old guard feel good cause he’s a Tomey guy.
Cut a check then big boy
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Brennan was Heeke's choice 4 years ago. Not sure if that's really a townie pick.
Not sure who else would have come to in at a time when it was expected that the whole roster might leave.

Maybe they should have had Tate pick the new coach.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Brennan was a grad assistant under Tomey at Arizona.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Carcassdragger wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 2:00 pm There is no other way to look at it. We are not a good team and it's because of this coaching staff.
No, its because of the last coaching staff that left town and took a good chunk of the team with them.

It bears repeating, but our defensive front seven was GUTTED by the coaching change.

We also lost 3 offensive players to the NFL.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

And we're left with a first team All American WR, a top 10 QB, the leading tackler from the PAC 12, a future NFL DB, a future NFL kicker, and another high draft pick offensive linemen.

Get it?
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Carcassdragger wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 6:38 pm And we're left with a first team All American WR, a top 10 QB, the leading tackler from the PAC 12, a future NFL DB, a future NFL kicker, and another high draft pick offensive linemen.

Get it?
You don't lose your ENTIRE starting defensive front (and the top 2 backups) and not have a drastic drop off in talent/performance, especially if you are Arizona. We are not Alabama/Oregon with lots of $$$$$$$$$ and a bench full of 5 Star players.........Got it?????

On offense we lost 3 NFL level players with no backup even close to their level. Included in that was our Left Tackle, the most important spot on the offensive line. Rhino gave up at least 5/6 pressures on Fifita last night. I'm not sure what to tell you. This is going to be a rebuilding job. If you don't have the patience for that (and the knowledge that the UA doesn't have the $$$$$$ to quickly rebuild with NIL) then perhaps you should cheer for another team. It is what it is. I wish Elon Musk were a UA grad who likes sports.
AZarchery

Post by AZarchery »

dmjcat wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 7:07 pm
Carcassdragger wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 6:38 pm And we're left with a first team All American WR, a top 10 QB, the leading tackler from the PAC 12, a future NFL DB, a future NFL kicker, and another high draft pick offensive linemen.

Get it?
You don't lose your ENTIRE starting defensive front (and the top 2 backups) and not have a drastic drop off in talent/performance, especially if you are Arizona. We are not Alabama/Oregon with lots of $$$$$$$$$ and a bench full of 5 Star players.........Got it?????

On offense we lost 3 NFL level players with no backup even close to their level. Included in that was our Left Tackle, the most important spot on the offensive line. Rhino gave up at least 5/6 pressures on Fifita last night. I'm not sure what to tell you. This is going to be a rebuilding job. If you don't have the patience for that (and the knowledge that the UA doesn't have the $$$$$$ to quickly rebuild with NIL) then perhaps you should cheer for another team. It is what it is. I wish Elon Musk were a UA grad who likes sports.
Do you really think the current staff can build the team back to a more talented team than we have now? And if they do will that team play up to their potential? To my untrained eye our team looks lost most of the time and they definitely were not lost last year.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

AZarchery wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 7:31 pm

Get it?

Do you really think the current staff can build the team back to a more talented team than we have now? And if they do will that team play up to their potential? To my untrained eye our team looks lost most of the time and they definitely were not lost last year.
Given time and $$$$$$$$$, yes. The $$$$$$ are a big question. The UA is now in a completely different world than just a few years ago. Up until NIL the UA historically had to recruit against more successful programs with better facilities. Now we have to recruit against more successful programs with better facilities and a HELL of a lot more NIL$$$$$$$$.......which makes it MUCH, MUCH harder to recruit for the current staff from a historical perspective. From a long term prospective the UA faces the very real possibility of the football program sliding down to a MWC/WAC/Club level unless something changes drastically (We get a miracle invite to the SEC/B1G (don't see that happening), Congress steps in and restores some level of amateur sports to College, Elon Musk takes an interest in UA sports, etc.)

I am also afraid that we are going to see the same thing gradually happen to the basketball program. Every team in the B1G/SEC can outbid us for any player they want. Coach Lloyd is facing a very uphill battle going forward.
AZarchery

Post by AZarchery »

dmjcat wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 7:42 pm

Get it?

Given time and $$$$$$$$$, yes. The $$$$$$ are a big question. The UA is now in a completely different world than just a few years ago. Up until NIL the UA historically had to recruit against more successful programs with better facilities. Now we have to recruit against more successful programs with better facilities and a HELL of a lot more NIL$$$$$$$$.......which makes it MUCH, MUCH harder to recruit for the current staff from a historical perspective. From a long term prospective the UA faces the very real possibility of the football program sliding down to a MWC/WAC/Club level unless something changes drastically (We get a miracle invite to the SEC/B1G (don't see that happening), Congress steps in and restores some level of amateur sports to College, Elon Musk takes an interest in UA sports, etc.)

I am also afraid that we are going to see the same thing gradually happen to the basketball program. Every team in the B1G/SEC can outbid us for any player they want. Coach Lloyd is facing a very uphill battle going forward.
So no.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

AZarchery wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 7:57 pm

Get it?

So no.
DMJ doesn't get that this roster is full of potential and won't be any better for years. The fact we are one of the most penalized teams in the country by itself shows this staff is failing miserably.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Carcassdragger wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 8:35 pm

So no.
DMJ doesn't get that this roster is full of potential and won't be any better for years. The fact we are one of the most penalized teams in the country by itself shows this staff is failing miserably.
Carcassdragger doesn't seem to understand that the entire starting defensive line portaled on down the road, not to mention that we lost 3 NFL players on offense which have not been replaced (even remotely).

There also seems to be a complete lack of understanding that Coach Brennan is the 1st UA coach hired in the post NIL world. Whoever the UA football/BBall coach is going forward is going to have a MUCH harder time being competitive in recruiting. People need to adjust their expectations based on this new reality.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

dmjcat wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 8:40 pm

So no.
Carcassdragger doesn't seem to understand that the entire starting defensive line portaled on down the road, not to mention that we lost 3 NFL players on offense which have not been replaced (even remotely).

There also seems to be a complete lack of understanding that Coach Brennan is the 1st UA coach hired in the post NIL world. Whoever the UA football/BBall coach is going forward is going to have a MUCH harder time being competitive in recruiting. People need to adjust their expectations based on this new reality.
And your excuse for the pathetic and penalty ridden offense with the best WR, an elite QB, a potential high draft pick lineman?
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Carcassdragger wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 8:44 pm

So no.

And your excuse for the pathetic and penalty ridden offense with the best WR, an elite QB, a potential high draft pick lineman?
3 guys do NOT make an offense carcassdragger.

I certainly agree that some of the penalties can be cleaned up.........but thats not going to remotely make up for the loss of Cowing/Machlacan/JMorgan. And there is NOTHING thats going to make up for our defensive front 7 being decimated.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

So no.

Oh and let's not forget a special teams unit that his declined significantly including a very long TD run back.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

dmjcat wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 8:47 pm

So no.

I certainly agree that some of the penalties can be cleaned up.........but thats not going to remotely make up for the loss of Cowing/Machlacan/JMorgan. And there is NOTHING thats going to make up for our defensive front 7 being decimated.
We lose three good players on offense and return almost everybody else and scored once, ONCE, last night while getting penalized up the ass. Great job.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Carcassdragger wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 8:51 pm

We lose three good players on offense and return almost everybody else and scored once, ONCE, last night while getting penalized up the ass. Great job.
Better count again. We were also missing Magnuson and Pulido on the offensive line, not to mention our top running back due to eligibility issues. Baker & Rhino were also both nursing injuries. The OL has been in tatters the past 2 weeks and we do not have any quality depth there.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Merkin wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 5:48 pm Brennan was a grad assistant under Tomey at Arizona.
I get that. I think of a townie selection more like making Matt Scott the HC.
I guess someone is a townie if they don't do well but if successful, we call it a coaching tree.
AZarchery

Post by AZarchery »

dmjcat wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 8:56 pm

Better count again. We were also missing Magnuson and Pulido on the offensive line, not to mention our top running back due to eligibility issues. Baker & Rhino were also both nursing injuries. The OL has been in tatters the past 2 weeks and we do not have any quality depth there.
We get it. We lost great players. But we still have awesome players and they seem to suck in this system. Imagine how bad this would be if Brennan inherited rich rods tiny teams. Brennan will never have more talent than he has now and we still suck. It’s only going to get worse.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

dmjcat wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 8:56 pm

Jordan Morgan, Tanner McLaughlin, Jacob Cowing, Jonah Coleman, Michael Wiley, Bill Norton, Ephesians Prysock, Martell Irby, Taylor Upshaw and Raymond Pulido all gone. All major contributors - most far better than anticipated pre-season.

Arizona NIL replacements, well, you get what you pay for (especially before coaching up and integrating into new team)...

And, most teams with an unexpected year like last season are likely candidates for "REGRESSION TO THE MEAN" (the statistical phenomenon stating that the greater the deviation of a random variate from its mean, the greater the probability that the next measured variate will deviate less far.)
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Postmaster wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 10:43 pm
Merkin wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 5:48 pm Brennan was a grad assistant under Tomey at Arizona.
I guess someone is a townie if they don't do well but if successful, we call it a coaching tree.
Is Brennen the absolute best we could have gotten given the conditions in the ground?

Or did a milquetoast AD acquiesce to rich boomers who feel good about the glory days and want to “rah rah rah we love Tomey” to wins in the modern era?

If he’s the best we could get, that I guess that’s what it is. We’re just stuck.

Is it BB season yet?
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

CalStateTempe wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 9:16 am
Is Brennen the absolute best we could have gotten given the conditions in the ground?

Or did a milquetoast AD acquiesce to rich boomers who feel good about the glory days and want to “rah rah rah we love Tomey” to wins in the modern era?

If he’s the best we could get, that I guess that’s what it is. We’re just stuck.

Is it BB season yet?

Well the donors are the ones that fund our athletics programs, so yeah I would probably acquiesce to them too if I want to have any type of facilities and decently funded teams.

We're 3 games in to a new coach. I understand none of us are happy with the results but all we can really do is hope he figures it out and gets this ship righted.

Also, why did we make a post about an opponent 3 weeks out just so we could complain about the coaches?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

CalStateTempe wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 9:16 am

Is it BB season yet?

In true Heeke fashion. He went after a coach who had ties (see Chip Hale) to our university and would be a tough pull to leave. He was gunshy after losing Johnson and Fisch.

I also think he was Heeke’s first choice when Robbins pulled power and took Fisch. I really hate the fact he didn’t interview Odom from UNLV or the Texas St coach

Still I am more upset Brennen chose Babers as his OC. We need to go get the UNLV OC who runs a really neat offense or give the play calling to Adkins before this season is lost
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

R

E

L

A

X
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

To clarify, I don't think anybody is pissed that we lost. It's that we look so very undisciplined and haven't looked good in all three games. It's also that there hasn't been any overall improvement.
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

I think most people figured we'd likely go 2-2 in our first 4 games, but that assumed looking very good in the first 2, being respectable in the next 2 on the road, then doing very well, like a minimum of 5-3 and more like an assumed 6-2, in the rest of them. There was probably a bit of pride involved, that we could overcome the loss of a coaching staff and a number of key players without missing much of a beat after coming off one of the better years in school history; I certainly bought into it. But, it's true that at this point, there's no phase of the game you can hang your hat on. Offense can't block or score, defense can't tackle, we make sloppy penalties all over the place, and we saw the kicking game give up a punt return for a TD that shouldn't have happened. We're only 3 games in, and no doubt the team will grow over the course of the season, but that's not what was expected. Even after Utah, every team on the schedule looks at least as good as we are. Other than frustrated false-flag ASU fans looking for a cheap alternative to Viagra, there's not much doubt we'll win our share of those games. But, like it or not, it probably won't be as many as we'd hoped for, and rather than the overly optimistic smooth transition, we're back in building and fix-it mode.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

Well, we HOPE we're back in the building and fix-it mode and not the "every season a bit worse than the last" mode. Time will tell, but so far, this coaching staff hasn't shown that they can coach worth a damn.
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

The thing is, when a new coaching regime comes in here, the coordinators seem to have about the same expectation of 3-years of job safety as the head coach. That's absolutely not true at the biggest football schools, but it seems to be the case at Arizona, based on history. I don't particularly like the overrun-the-play approach of trying to re-create Desert Swarm with our current personnel, but players have always seemed to love Akina, so maybe late in life he can still be a decent DC. But, I've been skeptical about Babers since his first go-round here. After succeeding Homer Smith, I gave him some slack when Tomey decided to override about every other play call on his headset in 2000... because, you know, a punt can be a good thing. And this year, we have line problems. You can always find excuses. But, while we hate what the guy did, Fisch is a legit NFL play-caller, and we took what the defense gave us to move the ball and score. We'll see how it goes. Tomey had four bowl seasons where he got killed in a road game. It would just be nice if last year could be somewhat of a building block, versus a complete "start over" Year One of a new coach. Seems like there's a little more to fix than there should be during a bye week.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Still confused what any of this has to do with Texas Tech
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Outside of putting it together to give North Texas a beatdown, Texas Tech has looked less than mediocre, waffling in a 52-51 over Abilene Christian before getting routed by Washington State 37-16. TT is the type of opponent a preseason ranked team should be able to beat easily enough, and in fact, the rest of the Big 12 is saturated with mediocre football: UCF, Arizona State, BYU, Colorado, Baylor, Cincinnati, Texas Tech, Houston, Kansas, West Virginia, and us. It's the type of lackluster bloat that a competent, consistent program that does a few functions could very well run up 9-3 and 10-2 seasons on every year.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

They can definitely put some points on the board in a hurry.