Salty

Re: Solomon is not the future.

Post by Salty »

Cost us a ton of points.
77HoyaCat4Ever

Post by 77HoyaCat4Ever »

Not the present either

10 seconds left; no time outs, and he let's himself get sacked rather than throwing it away.

How the phuck can you be a football player and not know the game and clock situation?

CST - order an EEG - he's brain dead
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

I just don't get why he was so lost when there was a ton of time to prepare for this game. Mind boggling after the Oregon debacle.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

He made a mistake.. I feel for the kid he is really hard on himself as a player and I think this will motivate him for next year. Solomon is still the future of Arizona in my eyes. We didn't have Wilson the 2nd half either and that hurt.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

Agree. Hes just not fit for this offense. Too much thinking in such a short time frame I guess. He also can't run.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

He can't make any throws has little to no pockET presense and makes bad decisions. He is a less physically gifted matt scott.
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

You can't call that play a "freshman mistake" unless the player is maybe a freshman in high school.
I...drink...your...MILKSHAKE!

"I'm better at life than you." -RockyRaccoon/Richard Sherman

"Those that don't understand the importance of great coaching, don't understand the game." -RR

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

cold-water calorics, hoya?
77HoyaCat4Ever

Post by 77HoyaCat4Ever »

CalStateTempe wrote:cold-water calorics, hoya?
You work for an HMO or something? Trying to cut costs?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

77HoyaCat4Ever wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:cold-water calorics, hoya?
You work for an HMO or something? Trying to cut costs?
Unfortunately, it is the future of medicine and the "integrated health system". Could argue that to do anything else regarding Anu's QB skills and IQ would be futile.
77HoyaCat4Ever

Post by 77HoyaCat4Ever »

Can we put him on DNR status or do we need input from a Death Panel?
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

You guys are pathetic!!!
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

Not me. He is still our starting QB and has the experience to go with it. How can he not improve on his freshman year? The decision making will get a lot better going into next year and we will have a couple of really good backup QBs to go with it, unlike this year. Everyone needs to come back next year ready to go and no one should even contemplate leaving for the NFL early, because they are not ready.

Next year we will combat tough scheduling, but instead of making last minute comebacks, we will win by the third quarter instead. These last too games suck when you think about not winning, but this was a great game for the fans. Just think, our defense will be better, AND so will Solomon!
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Arizona QB is trending right now. Not a good game for Anu.
77HoyaCat4Ever

Post by 77HoyaCat4Ever »

Anu is not the right QB for this offense. He is a redshirt freshman, not a true freshman.

He makes bad decisions, bad reads, doesn't scan field well, doesn't even throw all that well.
Just not mentally quick or cerebral enough for this offense.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Man.

I've never seen so many wide open receivers get over thrown or just not seen by a QB in person in my life. Gonna miss Bondo
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Mabye he could take the punt returner position, that position should be up for grabs.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

Well look on the bright side guys. Our Cats are very consistent at one thing........we never miss a chance to put on a football shit-show for the national viewing audience and recruits.
Merkin

Fan's apology coming up next

Post by Merkin »

Last edited by Merkin on Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Is he the future of Arizona football? Fuck, I don't know. I do know that a majority here had him on the 2015 Heisman watch list after the Cal game.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Agree!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Saying "Anu sucks" on a semi-private BBS is a lot different than saying "Anu sucks" worldwide on Twitter.
CalStateTempe

Re: Fan's apology coming up next

Post by CalStateTempe »

Merkin wrote:
headcase.

echoing Hoya, not cerebral enough for this offense.
3goggles

Re: Fan's apology coming up next

Post by 3goggles »

CalStateTempe wrote:
Merkin wrote:
headcase.

It takes a leader to make these comments! I'm with everybody that this lose sucks but let's step back.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Hope all you guys have strong ankles.
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

2 years in the system now, tonight's performance was unacceptable, unless he was still playing hurt. Anu needs to make major strides before game 1 next year or else we have to go another direction. Last 6 games have been a real grind with Anu. Here's hoping to major improvement, or a change completely.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

...and that is why you all aren't D1 coaches....Anu was, is, and will be our best choice at QB. He will start next year, do a great job, and you all will be on his jock. I am sure that RR will "open" up the position in the spring but Anu will win it quickly. I do think we need to put in some packages for Randall and/or Dawkins next year so they're ready if Anu gets hurt again.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I have had a few hours to digest the game and all I can say is I was tremendously disappointed.

1) Did our defensive coaches even look at film because it didn't appear they did in the first half. That was even more apparent in the second half with BSU not scoring offensively and limiting them to less than 100 yards.

2) we ran 106 plays and lose? How? How does Anu carry 23 times? How does he underthrow Jones on the first pick by 10 yards and then throw a pick 6 inside his 15 when ball security is job #1?. And finally, how does he take a sack with no timeouts? I laughed when as someone said, "hey he is from Vegas, maybe a fixer got to him". Not so funny now.

3) Save the apologies Anu. Have that hard edge. Quit helping the opposition up after they hit you. Throwing that ball away was someyhing you learned in HS.

This is a game we gave away. Great season, tons of fun but we should have won that game
Last edited by azcat49 on Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Newportcat

Re: Solomon is not the future

Post by Newportcat »

So we win this game and get some big trophy and then what....we still beat asu and we still haven't made a rose bowl. Nothing changes for program. Literally nothing

We were picked fourth in the PAC 12 south and finished 1st

We won 10 games

Yes today sucked but at least we fought back. All I ever care about is that we compete and don't get blown out. If we compete and lose whatever, it happens. But we still will finish in the top 20 and our chances for the rose bowl next year didn't change at al

I get being pissed off for how we played against Oregon for sure as that actually meant something. This game means nothing, we win awesome we get a big trophy, we lose who cares. We didn't lose by 30.

Yes we had some bone head plays but our QB is a freshman. Theirs was a fifth year senior..major difference

Remember Matt Scott when he first got to zona at Iowa, my god terrible.

Anu will be fine and if not Dawkins takes his place
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
UofACat23

Post by UofACat23 »

Anu had a good, not great, season, which should be expected given he was a 4* recruit, had a RS under his belt to learn the system, had an experienced O-Line, elite WR's, and a great RB.

I don't know how anyone can look at his season and say with 100% confidence, "that's our guy!" There is no question that he needs to improve significantly before he can lead this team to the Rose Bowl. I am fairly confident he will improve this off-season, how much (and whether it's enough improvement) is yet to be determined.

I think anybody who claims that Anu is definitely our guy for the next 3 years is jumping the gun, but it's also premature to write him off.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

UofACat23 wrote:Anu had a good, not great, season, which should be expected given he was a 4* recruit, had a RS under his belt to learn the system, had an experienced O-Line, elite WR's, and a great RB.

I don't know how anyone can look at his season and say with 100% confidence, "that's our guy!" There is no question that he needs to improve significantly before he can lead this team to the Rose Bowl. I am fairly confident he will improve this off-season, how much (and whether it's enough improvement) is yet to be determined.

I think anybody who claims that Anu is definitely our guy for the next 3 years is jumping the gun, but it's also premature to write him off.
This is my take. He had his ups and downs. He got lucky. He got kicked in the teeth by bad luck. But he was a good freshman QB who showed upside, but also showed enough limitations to make that upside seem unlikely without a few drastic leaps forward.

1. Commit: make a decision and go with it. Don't try to do three things at once. If you see a lane, run. If you want to wait for a throw, wait. If you sense pressure, either run or throw the ball the fuck away. Don't hesitate, delay, half-speed, second-guess. Commit.

2. Make the right read: holy shit! Don't hand the ball to your running back if a defender is already plugging his gap. Don't force a pass because it was the primary. Make your reads.

3. Develop touch on deep ball: way too many under/over-throws. Work on four types of touch-based downfield throws. Pick positions in the field, simulate defense, develop frantic-firing-but-accurate muscle memory for those instances.

He does this, he'll take a gigantic leap forward.

He dicks around on anything else, he'll maybe improve, maybe not improve.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Whether Anu is the future or not, at least this board will always have the utterly entertaining CST post-loss menstruation to look forward to.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

While there are other issues with the game today, this one does fall squarely on Solomon.

I did notice a play on the first drive that could have set a completely different tone for the game, though, and it wasn't his fault as much as a lot of other stuff. On second down he was scrambling left. Griffey was near him and Solomon pointed at him to go. Instead, Griffey got indecisive and couldn't figure out where to go. If he takes off toward the end zone, Solomon has an easy throw over the top and it's probably a TD. Grant ran past the DBs in the third quarter in a similar situation and Solomon hit him.

The two picks were bad. Really bad. The second one was a dagger. He didn't see some wide open guys. And of course there was the play to end the game. That said, we've also seen what he's capable of, for example that methodical taking apart of the Ducks at Autzen. RichRod said that he will have to compete for the starting job next year and I think he wins it. Not every redshirt freshman will be the next Manziel or Winston, but that doesn't mean they won't do big things. Remember - Scroggins was a former five star and had as much time to learn the system, but he couldn't take that starting job. Arizona won ten games with Solomon behind center. He's got all off-season to work on things, and then an easy early slate to get into rhythm.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

77HoyaCat4Ever wrote:Anu is not the right QB for this offense. He is a redshirt freshman, not a true freshman.

He makes bad decisions, bad reads, doesn't scan field well, doesn't even throw all that well.
Agreed, although with 12 starts under his bel and a month to prepare - he is a 3rd year sophomore at this point. He was awful, and truthfully the QB position should be opened up to complete competition in the spring, I saw someone declare how we'll have quality backups next year; I'd love to know how that is happening; Scroggins (#2 this year) is gone (thankfully?)... Randall (#3) is not and will not ever be a QB... Brewer is likely gone. I'll hold my breath on Dawkins, but for the amount of talent we had on paper this season, QB play was a dsiappointment overall despite some big moments. Anu's play in the latter half of the season was mostly suspect; I attributed much of that to injury, but after today I am not sure.

I feel very bad for the kid and the team... But this was a very disappointing performance, and a bit embarrassing, this was not a great BSU team with a 1st year coach, and the "out-talented" argument does not hold water. The play calling at critical times was awful, and certainly lacked the imagination I would expect from a coach of RR's pedigree in a game this big. Although I attribute much of that to the fact that RR can not open up the playbook with a QB who plays brain dead for stretches and misses a lot of reads and passes.

I am sure the kid cares, but I don't ever again need to see him laughing when something goes horribly wrong. And he was lucky we got a first down on the play when he decided mid-handoff NOT to give the ball to the RB and instead have both of them head for the LOS together olding the ball in tandem. Pretty sure I have never seen that before.

As bad as the D was in the first half, they were terrific in the second... And as always, the team never gave up. After the frustration of this loss subsides, there will be more positives than negatives on the season overall. But today was a step back and huge opportunity lost... And I think QB is a big ? Heading into next
season.

I wasn't at the game, but the atmosphere and fan support seemed quite I pressive on the telecast... So it does not appear the usual suspects can blame this loss on the fans.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

azpenguin wrote:While there are other issues with the game today, this one does fall squarely on Solomon.

I did notice a play on the first drive that could have set a completely different tone for the game, though, and it wasn't his fault as much as a lot of other stuff. On second down he was scrambling left. Griffey was near him and Solomon pointed at him to go. Instead, Griffey got indecisive and couldn't figure out where to go. If he takes off toward the end zone, Solomon has an easy throw over the top and it's probably a TD. Grant ran past the DBs in the third quarter in a similar situation and Solomon hit him.

The two picks were bad. Really bad. The second one was a dagger. He didn't see some wide open guys. And of course there was the play to end the game. That said, we've also seen what he's capable of, for example that methodical taking apart of the Ducks at Autzen. RichRod said that he will have to compete for the starting job next year and I think he wins it. Not every redshirt freshman will be the next Manziel or Winston, but that doesn't mean they won't do big things. Remember - Scroggins was a former five star and had as much time to learn the system, but he couldn't take that starting job. Arizona won ten games with Solomon behind center. He's got all off-season to work on things, and then an easy early slate to get into rhythm.
Disagree. The top three reasons for this loss are:
1. The defensive staff being out-coached and out-prepared. It took 15 minutes for the defense to get into the game, but by that time they'd given Boise an insurmountable lead. The players were simply not prepared.
2. The offensive line didn't pass block. Solomon didn't have much of a pocket all night.
3. Solomon made bad reads and missed any target more than 10 yards downfield. Turning the ball over twice inside his own 20 and taking that last sack were killers.

So yeah, Solomon was a reason we lost last night, but he was far from THE reason. Shame we didn't win the game, but it was still a hell of a season. Can't wait till next September!
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Puerco wrote:
azpenguin wrote:While there are other issues with the game today, this one does fall squarely on Solomon.

Disagree. The top three reasons for this loss are:
1. The defensive staff being out-coached and out-prepared. It took 15 minutes for the defense to get into the game, but by that time they'd given Boise an insurmountable lead. The players were simply not prepared.
2. The offensive line didn't pass block. Solomon didn't have much of a pocket all night.
3. Solomon made bad reads and missed any target more than 10 yards downfield. Turning the ball over twice inside his own 20 and taking that last sack were killers.

So yeah, Solomon was a reason we lost last night, but he was far from THE reason. Shame we didn't win the game, but it was still a hell of a season. Can't wait till next September!
Not sure if i agree with point #2 Puerco. I thought for the most part the o-line did a decent job at blocking.

Anu needs to learn not to freak out in the pocket when his first read is not there. Too often he puts his head down and starts running, usually into oncoming defensive lineman. I counted at least a half dozen times during the game where he tucked the ball and ran when no one was five yards near him.

He will learn. It was his first post-season bowl game even though some folks think he's a veteran at this point, which he is not. :roll:

Grant Hendrick is a RS Senior....notice the difference?
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

This is a ridiculous thread. No Solomon didn't have a good game, but we still were about 3 yards away from tying this thing up. He led us to our best season in more than a decade, as a Freshman, in a year when we had to replace our best RB in a generation? Come on guys. Cut the kid some slack. He will learn and get better.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Some serious post-loss over reaction in this thread.

No, Solomon is not Joe Montana and will never be.................but, there were other reasons other than Solomons play that cost us this game:

1) The defense didn't show up to play and spotted BS 21 points
2) Both Casteel RRod were clearly out-schemed. We didn't change a thing offensively for this game and Boise State was well prepared for everything we threw at them..............and we were not prepared for the statue of liberty play??? Really?? With Boise State as the opponent??
3) The play calling was rather vanilla........how many times do you call roll outs once Boise State has demonstrated they know how to defend it?. I was waiting for RRod to stretch the field.....send 2-3 receivers deep, drag the coverage with them, and then run a receiver/tailback underneath but we never did. I thought we could have thrown under the coverage all day and didn't really try. I would have loved to see a wheel route from Wilson but we never even tried.

The QB competition will clearly be open for spring/fall camp but I would place money that Solomon will win out. The guy with the experience is always hard to beat out, especially with RRods scheme.

Another thought on the season, not connected to this thread. We got mighty LUCKY to win 10 games. I am
openly wondering if we would have been better off losing the Cal/Washington games (two games we should have lost). What would have been the result?:

1) We could have enjoyed watching Oregon slaughter asu in the PAC12 title game
2) We would have drawn a lesser opponent in a lesser bowl game, very possibly winning
3) We could have ended the season with 2 wins on national TV, as opposed to two losses
4) We would have still ended the season with a better record (9 wins) than the past two seasons
5) RRod would have better momentum down the stretch for recruiting
6) This thread would not exist.

Just a thought.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

WTF, those thoughts are as stupid as some of Anu's decisions. Better off losing 2 games and not winning the south? Let ASSU win 2 straight south crowns. Go to a lower tier bowl instead of a top 6 bowl.

Is your brain scrambled this morning? Terrible take but standard for you and AZ football
Last edited by azcat49 on Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

So much fail on this board already.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Losing games to make your team better?

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Half of you are smoking crack. We had one of the most successful seasons in the history of the program and half of you want to burn it all down. Step away from the keyboard. Your team went 10-4, and will finish ranked in the Top 20. Great year IMO
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

azcat49 wrote:WTF, those thoughts are as stupid as some of Anu's decisions. Better off , losing 2 games and not winning the south? Let ASSU win 2 straight south crowns. Go to a lower tier bowl instead of a top 6 bowl.

Is your brain scrammbled this morning? Terrible take but standard for you and AZ football

No shit. WTF? No way we're better off losing two games and not winning PAC 12 South and playing in a big 6 bowl. Just wow.
eoe

Post by eoe »

Merkin wrote:Looking forward to the Dawkins era.
77HoyaCat4Ever wrote:Not the present either

10 seconds left; no time outs, and he let's himself get sacked rather than throwing it away.

How the phuck can you be a football player and not know the game and clock situation?

CST - order an EEG - he's brain dead
cats101 wrote:Agree. Hes just not fit for this offense. Too much thinking in such a short time frame I guess. He also can't run.
gronk4heisman wrote:He can't make any throws has little to no pockET presense and makes bad decisions. He is a less physically gifted matt scott.
77HoyaCat4Ever wrote:Anu is not the right QB for this offense. He is a redshirt freshman, not a true freshman.

gronk4heisman wrote:Mabye he could take the punt returner position, that position should be up for grabs.
CalStateTempe wrote:headcase.

TheGreatCatsby wrote:2 years in the system now, tonight's performance was unacceptable, unless he was still playing hurt. Anu needs to make major strides before game 1 next year or else we have to go another direction. Last 6 games have been a real grind with Anu. Here's hoping to major improvement, or a change completely.
2014 Season -- Anu Solomon
313 completions 540 attempts (58% completion) | 3793 yards passing | 28 TDs passing | 9 Ints | 2 TDs rushing

Top 10 in passing yards (Class breakdown of top 10: Seniors--5 | Juniors--3 | Sophomores -- 1 | Freshman -- 1 [Anu Solomon])

Top 15 in passing TDs (Class breakdown of top 15: Seniors--8 | Juniors--4 | Sophomores -- 3 | Freshman -- 2 [JT Barrett and Anu Solomon])

540 passes. 9 INTS: Good for one of the lowest ratios in the nation among qualified players

Keep in mind, Anu's numbers, especially TDs, come alongside an elite-tier RB who had another 16 TDs rushing. Anu racked up TDs even with a top RB getting a load of the scores. Anu broke numerous school records and did so in his 1st year as a player.

Anu was terrible yesterday and there were a ton of factors contributing to that. If Dawkins is better than him, I would be ecstatic as that means the dude's a fucking baller. I want to see the team win at any cost. However, to let one game impact an assessment of a player and the skills they possess is something a weak-minded pre-teen does, which many of you seem to have channeled. Losing a non-NY Bowl Game to a non-P5 is so low on the matter-meter, I can't imagine why the loss would muster anything more than a shoulder shrug. Insignificant. Yet, folks are acting as if we lost the damn championship.

Anyways, posts have been quoted for future reference (next season & beyond) and laughs. Let it be known that no excuses resembling "he was dog-shit then and my shit opinion was right, he just developed new skills!!!" will not be accepted as a cop-out. If you watch college football in any capacity, you know that Anu's performance this year was among the higher level of QBs and you can see what unique skills he brings to the table. He is not lacking in talent and anyone who has followed football for any extended period of time knows this. This is not a dissertation defending Anu's "honor"/"dignity"/"personality", if he wasn't our best option at his position I would want him ass benched ASAP. This is a football/sport analysis discussion. Anu has the tools to be a CS-winning QB.

His problem is his demeanor and mental approach. That is the key. One of the announcers noted last night "the way Anu takes off after his first read with no one near him to me shows that he doesn't trust his guys or the system". His zone reads in tight games are shit and in leads are perfect. He tries to be superman on every play in every game. That is a great trait when channeled properly. It is his kryptonite when he is scatter-brained like he was last night, vs. UO, vs. UCLA (injury aside), etc. My guess is we are "stuck" with him for a few more years unless an injury derails his ascent or a stud supplants him. Knowing our recruiting and the level of play and play-makers at the college level, I doubt that happens.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

His reads are a big deal and a reason he is not the future. Hello!
gumby

Post by gumby »

Chicat wrote:Whether Anu is the future or not, at least this board will always have the utterly entertaining CST post-loss menstruation to look forward to.
Yep. Certainly blows the stereotype of docs as calm, rational folks. Certainly funny when he calls someone else a "headcase."

BSU QB was 17-18, 272 yards in the first half. Damn you, Anu! Maybe he can move to cornerback.

Come back, Denker! All is forgiven.

Very fitting that our season ended in the red zone, because this offense sucks when the field is compressed. Need tight ends and backs as receivers to keep defenses off balance. Now, it's hand off or roll right. Then bring in the kicker.
Last edited by gumby on Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Right where I want to be.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Good stuff EOE.

Looking at his QBR, that would put him lowest on that list, but being the only FR that wouldn't really but all that bad.

Just for comparison reasons, looked up BJ as a senior. QBR of 126.8, lower than Solomon, but then again BJ had some incredible wheels. Anu looks like Willie Tuitama out there carrying the ball.

Andrew Luck (yes, Anu is no Luck) had a QBR of 143.5 as a RS FR. Jimmy Clausen, as a true FR had a QBR of 103.5.

139.5 QBR for Texas A&M true FR Kyle Allen from Scottsdale who actually peaked in December, unlike Solomon.

Russell Wilson 133.9 as a FR at NCST. RG III 142.0 as a FR at Baylor. Kellen Moore 157.1 at BSU as a FR.

Brett Hundley as FR 147.7 and so on.