Solomon is not the future.

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

gumby

Re: Solomon is not the future.

Post by gumby »

cats101 wrote:His reads are a big deal and a reason he is not the future. Hello!
Because nobody ever learns and improves ....
Right where I want to be.
gumby

Post by gumby »

dmjcat wrote:Some serious post-loss over reaction in this thread.

No, Solomon is not Joe Montana and will never be.................but, there were other reasons other than Solomons play that cost us this game:

1) The defense didn't show up to play and spotted BS 21 points
2) Both Casteel RRod were clearly out-schemed. We didn't change a thing offensively for this game and Boise State was well prepared for everything we threw at them..............and we were not prepared for the statue of liberty play??? Really?? With Boise State as the opponent??
3) The play calling was rather vanilla........how many times do you call roll outs once Boise State has demonstrated they know how to defend it?. I was waiting for RRod to stretch the field.....send 2-3 receivers deep, drag the coverage with them, and then run a receiver/tailback underneath but we never did. I thought we could have thrown under the coverage all day and didn't really try. I would have loved to see a wheel route from Wilson but we never even tried.

The QB competition will clearly be open for spring/fall camp but I would place money that Solomon will win out. The guy with the experience is always hard to beat out, especially with RRods scheme.

Another thought on the season, not connected to this thread. We got mighty LUCKY to win 10 games. I am
openly wondering if we would have been better off losing the Cal/Washington games (two games we should have lost). What would have been the result?:

1) We could have enjoyed watching Oregon slaughter asu in the PAC12 title game
2) We would have drawn a lesser opponent in a lesser bowl game, very possibly winning
3) We could have ended the season with 2 wins on national TV, as opposed to two losses
4) We would have still ended the season with a better record (9 wins) than the past two seasons
5) RRod would have better momentum down the stretch for recruiting
6) This thread would not exist.

Just a thought.
Lordy. Pass the smelling salts.
gumby

Post by gumby »

What were Foles' numbers as a frosh? Scott? :mrgreen:
cats101

Post by cats101 »

gumby wrote:
cats101 wrote:His reads are a big deal and a reason he is not the future. Hello!
Hopefully we don't have to find out.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

He's a freshman. Fuck, how many Jamis Winstons do you people think are out there anyways?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

azgreg wrote:He's a freshman. Fuck, how many Jamis Winstons do you people think are out there anyways?
I guess some think is would have been better to play JS, JR, CB, or BD and go 6-6 and not even be in a position to lose a NY6 game on the last play to a top 20 team that has now beaten 3 Big 5 teams in that same bowl.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

azgreg wrote:He's a freshman. Fuck, how many Jamis Winstons do you people think are out there anyways?
Jameis Winston is one of the dumbest people alive, and he would have thrown it through the back of the endzone. The rest of the mistakes, even the INT, don't bother me as much as I think they are things that can be learned and that better playcalling can correct.

But to not throw that ball away on 3rd and goal worries me he may lack some very basic instinct that can't be taught.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

splitsecond wrote:
Jameis Winston is one of the dumbest people alive, and he would have thrown it through the back of the endzone. The rest of the mistakes, even the INT, don't bother me as much as I think they are things that can be learned and that better playcalling can correct.

But to not throw that ball away on 3rd and goal worries me he may lack some very basic instinct that can't be taught.
I have no problem with a 26-0 dumbass QB.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

This post is perfectly hilarious:
dmjcat wrote:Some serious post-loss over reaction in this thread.

No, Solomon is not Joe Montana and will never be.................but, there were other reasons other than Solomons play that cost us this game:

1) The defense didn't show up to play and spotted BS 21 points
2) Both Casteel RRod were clearly out-schemed. We didn't change a thing offensively for this game and Boise State was well prepared for everything we threw at them..............and we were not prepared for the statue of liberty play??? Really?? With Boise State as the opponent??
3) The play calling was rather vanilla........how many times do you call roll outs once Boise State has demonstrated they know how to defend it?. I was waiting for RRod to stretch the field.....send 2-3 receivers deep, drag the coverage with them, and then run a receiver/tailback underneath but we never did. I thought we could have thrown under the coverage all day and didn't really try. I would have loved to see a wheel route from Wilson but we never even tried.

The QB competition will clearly be open for spring/fall camp but I would place money that Solomon will win out. The guy with the experience is always hard to beat out, especially with RRods scheme.

Another thought on the season, not connected to this thread. We got mighty LUCKY to win 10 games. I am
openly wondering if we would have been better off losing the Cal/Washington games (two games we should have lost). What would have been the result?:

1) We could have enjoyed watching Oregon slaughter asu in the PAC12 title game
2) We would have drawn a lesser opponent in a lesser bowl game, very possibly winning
3) We could have ended the season with 2 wins on national TV, as opposed to two losses
4) We would have still ended the season with a better record (9 wins) than the past two seasons
5) RRod would have better momentum down the stretch for recruiting
6) This thread would not exist.

Just a thought.
Thanks buddy, I needed that laugh.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Senior Bryce Petty just took two sacks and topped it off with a pick straight to the LB at the end of his last bowl game when all his team needed was FG. Bet he isn't getting anywhere near the flack our freshman QB is getting on this board.
-JB
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

UAEebs86 wrote:Senior Bryce Petty just took two sacks and topped it off with a pick straight to the LB at the end of his last bowl game when all his team needed was FG. Bet he isn't getting anywhere near the flack our freshman QB is getting on this board.
Well Bryce Petty is not the Future of Baylor... so there.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

What does Austin Hill say?

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/c ... f12d1ccac7

"You know, I thought underneath was pretty open all day today. I think we could have thrown a lot of pull-ups against the Boise State defense. We decided to throw it deep. It happened to work with Cayleb (Jones) late in the game, which was a plus.

"But, yeah, you know as a receiver it's definitely frustrating when you know you're open but the QB decides to throw something else, especially when it doesn't work out. It's always good when it works out or it's a touchdown but when it's an incomplete pass and you're wide open as a receiver you're always wondering, 'Why not me?'
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Alieberman wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:Senior Bryce Petty just took two sacks and topped it off with a pick straight to the LB at the end of his last bowl game when all his team needed was FG. Bet he isn't getting anywhere near the flack our freshman QB is getting on this board.
Well Bryce Petty is not the Future of Baylor... so there.
So I posted in the wrong Anu sucks thread I guess. My bad.
-JB
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Anu will be the starter next year unless he has an injury he will be improved.. He gets the summer to work with the receivers and get everything down and everything I've heard about Anu is that he is a hard worker. He'll fix a lot of things and will watch endless amounts of film. When was the last time a QB didn't improve after the first year starting?
illcat

Post by illcat »

I'll give him a chance there's enough blame to go around from the coaches on down.
I mean I am not complaining but it must suck for good ugly girls.
--Officer Craig

You'll forgive DW99, he's used to the methed-out slores in Tempe ...
--Reydituto
eoe

Post by eoe »

Merkin wrote:What does Austin Hill say?

"You know, I thought underneath was pretty open all day today. I think we could have thrown a lot of pull-ups against the Boise State defense. We decided to throw it deep. It happened to work with Cayleb (Jones) late in the game, which was a plus.

"But, yeah, you know as a receiver it's definitely frustrating when you know you're open but the QB decides to throw something else, especially when it doesn't work out. It's always good when it works out or it's a touchdown but when it's an incomplete pass and you're wide open as a receiver you're always wondering, 'Why not me?'
Wow, not a good look for Anu. Our biggest crime this year was underutilizing Hill and Richards. You have a legit NFL target in Hill and he's running short out routes and being targeted only a few times a game? Big oversight by Anu and the coaches. NFL scouts aren't making the same mistake. Not surprised some frustration is being aired.
gumby

Post by gumby »

catinfl wrote:Anu will be the starter next year unless he has an injury he will be improved.. He gets the summer to work with the receivers and get everything down and everything I've heard about Anu is that he is a hard worker. He'll fix a lot of things and will watch endless amounts of film. When was the last time a QB didn't improve after the first year starting?
Unacceptable. We ARE Arizona. Quarterback U. Have a rich -- but not Rich -- tradition to uphold. If this does occur, we need to Occupy The Athletic Department.
gumby

Post by gumby »

cats101 wrote:
gumby wrote:
Hopefully we don't have to find out.
I thought your posts would get better. Next!
cats101

Post by cats101 »

"But, yeah, you know as a receiver it's definitely frustrating when you know you're open but the QB decides to throw something else, yespecially when it doesn't work out. It's always good when it works out or it's a touchdown but when it's an incomplete pass and you're wide open as a receiver you're always wondering, 'Why not me?'

But but he's a freshman! He'll get better. Forget the fact that his reads are questionable in an offense that requires someone to make decisions on the spot.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

cats101 wrote:

"But, yeah, you know as a receiver it's definitely frustrating when you know you're open but the QB decides to throw something else, yespecially when it doesn't work out. It's always good when it works out or it's a touchdown but when it's an incomplete pass and you're wide open as a receiver you're always wondering, 'Why not me?'
But but he's a freshman! He'll get better. Forget the fact that his reads are questionable in an offense that requires someone to make decisions on the spot.
BJ Denker improved on his reads. Why can Anu not do the same?
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

CalStateTempe wrote:next...
Is only good for 10 wins a season.
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

PHXCATS wrote:
cats101 wrote:
Merkin wrote:
BJ Denker improved on his reads. Why can Anu not do the same?
Anu won 10 games. How about BJ?
UofACat23

Post by UofACat23 »

Daryl Zero wrote:
Is 10 wins the goal? I thought the goal was the Rose Bowl or possibly even a national championship.

It's like the basketball fans claiming "don't criticize the team we're 8-0." 8-0 is great but that doesn't make you a Final Four contender, which we finally saw @UNLV.

Currently he's not good enough to get us to the Rose Bowl, maybe he'll improve enough, maybe he won't, but that's where we're at right now.
gumby

Post by gumby »

UofACat23 wrote:
Daryl Zero wrote:
Is 10 wins the goal? I thought the goal was the Rose Bowl or possibly even a national championship.

It's like the basketball fans claiming "don't criticize the team we're 8-0." 8-0 is great but that doesn't make you a Final Four contender, which we finally saw @UNLV.

Currently he's not good enough to get us to the Rose Bowl, maybe he'll improve enough, maybe he won't, but that's where we're at right now.
Currently, the team isn't good enough. Going to take more than an improved QB. Seems premature to say "next", no? Our defensive numbers are worse than our offensive numbers. Jettison all current defenders?
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

UofACat23 wrote:
Daryl Zero wrote:

The goal is a lot loftier than ten win seasons. However, if we'd have told you when RR was hired that the Cats would win ten in his third year, you'd have taken that every day. Right now the goal is building on the foundation that's been laid. 8 wins with a no-defense squad, then 8 wins with Denker at QB, and then 10 wins with a bunch of freshmen and sophomores and a freshman QB who was going to take some lumps. Yeah, the team missed a chance to do even bigger things this year, but to go from 4-8 to 10-4 and contendin over three years... they've got bigger goals and they're working up to that level.
gumby

Post by gumby »

azpenguin wrote:
UofACat23 wrote:
Daryl Zero wrote:

The goal is a lot loftier than ten win seasons. However, if we'd have told you when RR was hired that the Cats would win ten in his third year, you'd have taken that every day. Right now the goal is building on the foundation that's been laid. 8 wins with a no-defense squad, then 8 wins with Denker at QB, and then 10 wins with a bunch of freshmen and sophomores and a freshman QB who was going to take some lumps. Yeah, the team missed a chance to do even bigger things this year, but to go from 4-8 to 10-4 and contendin over three years... they've got bigger goals and they're working up to that level.
Bingo. And how many people predicted 10 wins this year? Didn't get No. 11 ... and ... dump the QB! Emotions are funny.