Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

3goggles

Re: 2015 recruits/commitment thread

Post by 3goggles »

Fuck All Star Games!!!!
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

looks like we are picking up ground with Arthyr Mcginnis according to 247sports. I think recruiting his teammate maybe helping
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Apparently this O lineman is walking on. Went to Pinnacle HS in north Phoenix. He was at a Scottsdale CC this year.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/r ... kis-144796

Jack Kness-Knezinskis 6'4" 286

He retweeted this from his buddy:
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
prh

Post by prh »

TuiTouchdown wrote:
UALoco wrote:With Jim Mora interviewing..wonder if we can pick up any UCLA commits at the last second....
I would think Utah recruits would also be in play with their coaching shake-up. They lost their DC, DL coach, and OC.
Yeah it's definitely a big mess up here. You've got newspaper guys trashing Whittingham for seemingly no reason and spewing the most insane BS. I wasn't around Tucson for the Hanson - Lute problems, but it's gone to ridiculous levels up here. They surpassed expectations this year, have a bunch of young guys, and dominated their bowl game. Players like playing for Whit and about the only people who don't like him are the writers and BYU fans. The AD wouldn't match a 7 year offer to their assistant that went to ntOSU and suddenly Whit needs to go. Pretty stupid (just like a 7 year deal for a DC)
Footballjunkie

Post by Footballjunkie »

prh wrote:
TuiTouchdown wrote:
UALoco wrote:With Jim Mora interviewing..wonder if we can pick up any UCLA commits at the last second....
I would think Utah recruits would also be in play with their coaching shake-up. They lost their DC, DL coach, and OC.
Yeah it's definitely a big mess up here. You've got newspaper guys trashing Whittingham for seemingly no reason and spewing the most insane BS. I wasn't around Tucson for the Hanson - Lute problems, but it's gone to ridiculous levels up here. They surpassed expectations this year, have a bunch of young guys, and dominated their bowl game. Players like playing for Whit and about the only people who don't like him are the writers and BYU fans. The AD wouldn't match a 7 year offer to their assistant that went to ntOSU and suddenly Whit needs to go. Pretty stupid (just like a 7 year deal for a DC)
Gabe Reid was a heavy Utah lean, does this give us a better chance of landing him?
He has an uncanny knack for blocking kicks.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/661543/highlights/207934402

If he's a Mormon though, it might be hard to pull him away from Utah. If his dad's alma mater, BYU, calls we might not be in the hunt. But what do I know.

Here's a good article about him. Seems his dad played for BYU and went on to the NFL. He's a Samoan and hopefully could bond with other Samoans that we have on the team.
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8655 ... tml?pg=all
The Ooh Aah Man

Post by The Ooh Aah Man »

Footballjunkie wrote:
prh wrote:
TuiTouchdown wrote:
Gabe Reid was a heavy Utah lean, does this give us a better chance of landing him?
He has an uncanny knack for blocking kicks.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/661543/highlights/207934402

If he's a Mormon though, it might be hard to pull him away from Utah.
He's actually a Stanford lean.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Reid is a Stanford lean, but the staff is hoping to get him on campus. Gonna be a tough pull, but if he visits I feel like we may be able to sway him.

We've offered Travis Custis out of Hutchinson Community College in Kansas. He was once a Georgia Tech Commit (former 4*), but couldn't get in there and went to JUCO. His highlight tape is pretty impressive and he was sharing carries with the best back in JUCO. Would love to get him he's a bruising type of back and our depth at RB is suspect. He has offers from Oklahoma State and Kentucky. Of course the staff would have to turn it up on him, but I think if they want him they can get him.
The Ooh Aah Man

catinfl wrote:Reid is a Stanford lean, but the staff is hoping to get him on campus. Gonna be a tough pull, but if he visits I feel like we may be able to sway him.

We've offered Travis Custis out of Hutchinson Community College in Kansas. He was once a Georgia Tech Commit (former 4*), but couldn't get in there and went to JUCO. His highlight tape is pretty impressive and he was sharing carries with the best back in JUCO. Would love to get him he's a bruising type of back and our depth at RB is suspect. He has offers from Oklahoma State and Kentucky. Of course the staff would have to turn it up on him, but I think if they want him they can get him.
Custis is a stud! He is high on my list right now. Some sites are showing him as a 2016 guy, but from what I read he just needed 1 math class to be eligible at most universities. Assuming he took and passed that class this last semester or will this upcoming semester, he should be good to go for 2015.
The Ooh Aah Man

Apparently Kendrick Jackson is visiting Arkansas at the end of the month. Wonder how the staff feels about this.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

The Ooh Aah Man wrote:Apparently Kendrick Jackson is visiting Arkansas at the end of the month. Wonder how the staff feels about this.
I'll trade him for McGinnis. I like Jackson but he's not a priority recruit and if he visits he'll probably get the axe.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Has an UA offer, but I doubt the UA even gets a quick thought.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin wrote: Has an UA offer, but I doubt the UA even gets a quick thought.
His twitter page says committed to ND.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Been a long time in the works. He's close with the Fertitta family.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

MrBug708 wrote:Been a long time in the works. He's close with the Fertitta family.
Does his dad have a gym that needs investors? ;)
-JB
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

???
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

MrBug708 wrote:???
Rumor during Davonte Neal recruitment to ND.
-JB
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Ah, no. Nico Fertitta and ALize Jones are super close so the draw is too much I guess. Hard to turn down your super rich friend though. We'll probably see him in a year or so back in LA like all the other West Coast kids who leave for ND
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Kendal Franklin just tweeted we might be getting his teammate soon. Who would that be?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Mmmmmmm.......

-JB
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Darrell Clarke and Arthur McGinnis are his teammates. Don't think he'd be tweeting about only Clarke.
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

Sounds promising...
Footballjunkie

Post by Footballjunkie »

catinfl wrote:Darrell Clarke and Arthur McGinnis are his teammates. Don't think he'd be tweeting about only Clarke.
McGinnis' demeanor reminds me of Nick Wilson. He speaks eloquently which shows he comes from a family and environment that values education. I would love to have this OKG join the program.
http://videos.nola.com/times-picayune/2 ... ahoma.html

here are some of his highlights:
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3244568/hig ... /218602381

The first highlight shows why he is a must get as he runs down a RB from the other side of the field.
Give this guy some reps at FB in goal line situations.

If he spoke like the HULK in short sentences and words, ASSU would be all over this kid as the face of the program.

Scooby do teams up with the HULK to solve the starting QB mystery.
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

McGinnis does have a trip to Norman booked so there's that..it's prob now or never.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

threenumberones wrote:McGinnis does have a trip to Norman booked so there's that..it's prob now or never.
Norman is a dumpster fire right now. Stoops was lucky to keep his job, and the D is in flux. Hopefully he sees all this as well.
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

I hope I'm wrong, but it doesn't seem the visit went too well:

https://mobile.twitter.com/amg_arthur/s ... 3810059264
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

TuiTouchdown wrote:I hope I'm wrong, but it doesn't seem the visit went too well:

He's not going to Lubbock:
-JB
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

UAEebs86 wrote:
TuiTouchdown wrote:I hope I'm wrong, but it doesn't seem the visit went too well:

He's not going to Lubbock:

Oh I was wrong! I love our chances now.
mytwocents

Post by mytwocents »

So.....?
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

He's gonna visit Oklahoma and TTU. I don't really find TTU as a threat, but Oklahoma could make things interesting. I still think we're leading, but that's just my gut at the moment. Matty D and Co are turning it up on McGinnis and they want him bad. Clarke will visit Southern Miss, but if he doesn't end up at UA then I'd be very surprised.
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

catinfl wrote:He's gonna visit Oklahoma and TTU. I don't really find TTU as a threat, but Oklahoma could make things interesting. I still think we're leading, but that's just my gut at the moment. Matty D and Co are turning it up on McGinnis and they want him bad. Clarke will visit Southern Miss, but if he doesn't end up at UA then I'd be very surprised.
Thanks CatinFL!

If you had a wish list to finish off the class, who would be on it?
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

TuiTouchdown wrote:
catinfl wrote:He's gonna visit Oklahoma and TTU. I don't really find TTU as a threat, but Oklahoma could make things interesting. I still think we're leading, but that's just my gut at the moment. Matty D and Co are turning it up on McGinnis and they want him bad. Clarke will visit Southern Miss, but if he doesn't end up at UA then I'd be very surprised.
Thanks CatinFL!

If you had a wish list to finish off the class, who would be on it?
McGinnis, Clarke, and I'm sure there is a surprise the staff always seems to have one.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

I sure hope there is a big surprise, preferable a highly recruited db or dl, because to say the current class is a disappointment would be an under statement.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

gronk4heisman wrote:I sure hope there is a big surprise, preferable a highly recruited db or dl, because to say the current class is a disappointment would be an under statement.
For filling needs it is an "adequate" or "serviceable" class. For going out and getting the best "accessible talent" it is a "disappointment."
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

CatsbyAZ wrote:
gronk4heisman wrote:I sure hope there is a big surprise, preferable a highly recruited db or dl, because to say the current class is a disappointment would be an under statement.
For filling needs it is an "adequate" or "serviceable" class. For going out and getting the best "accessible talent" it is a "disappointment."
In my opinion the need that needs to be filled is upping the talent level, we currently have one maybe two players that the USCs of the world would recruit. One of which has a torn acl. We won the pac 12 south yet have the 8th best class in the pac 12, most importantly well behind ASU.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

gronk4heisman wrote:
CatsbyAZ wrote:
In my opinion the need that needs to be filled is upping the talent level, we currently have one maybe two players that the USCs of the world would recruit. One of which has a torn acl. We won the pac 12 south yet have the 8th best class in the pac 12, most importantly well behind ASU.
I wish we were having ASU's recruiting cycle. They 1) addressed needs and 2) added talented players regardless of needs at that position. We only managed #1.

Also, really should not be getting out recruited by WSU and I'm sick of getting beat for recruits by bleeping Washington. Every bleeping year.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

CatsbyAZ wrote:
gronk4heisman wrote:
CatsbyAZ wrote:
I wish we were having ASU's recruiting cycle. They 1) addressed needs and 2) added talented players regardless of needs at that position. We only managed #1.

Also, really should not be getting out recruited by WSU and I'm sick of getting beat for recruits by bleeping Washington. Every bleeping year.
What recruits did Washington State or Washington beat us out for?
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

catinfl wrote:
CatsbyAZ wrote:
gronk4heisman wrote:
CatsbyAZ wrote:

What recruits did Washington State or Washington beat us out for?
I can think of losing Hale and McCoy (along with a bunch of DL recruits during the Stoops years) but that isn't the point. With the year AZ has had the coaches shouldn't be getting outrecruited by WSU, and should be able to recruit alongside the likes of ASU & Washington. Instead, both routinely sign better (sometimes significantly better) classes than AZ.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

I can think of losing Hale and McCoy (along with a bunch of DL recruits during the Stoops years) but that isn't the point. With the year AZ has had the coaches shouldn't be getting outrecruited by WSU, and should be able to recruit alongside the likes of ASU & Washington. Instead, both routinely sign better (sometimes significantly better) classes than AZ.[/quote]

Hale wanted to be a Wildcat. Thought the coaches were bluffing when they said they'd pull his scholarship. The staff gave up on McCoy. Washington State may have a better class on paper, but Arizona only seriously recruited one or two guys that they got. I counted 3 that we recruited that ended up at Washington. We have 5 that Washington seriously wanted. Tezino basically went to WSU because he had no other options other than Utah and Colorado.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

catinfl wrote:
Hale wanted to be a Wildcat. Thought the coaches were bluffing when they said they'd pull his scholarship. The staff gave up on McCoy. Washington State may have a better class on paper, but Arizona only seriously recruited one or two guys that they got. I counted 3 that we recruited that ended up at Washington. We have 5 that Washington seriously wanted. Tezino basically went to WSU because he had no other options other than Utah and Colorado.
None of your reasons mitigates signing an otherwise average class. I'm sure ASU & Washington lost a few guys to the LA schools, but they were able to fill in enough highly rated guys to have a class to call a success.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Additionally I hear a lot more big names as potential surprises for ASU then us. They are in on a handful of 4 and 5 Star kids waiting to announce.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

gronk4heisman wrote:Additionally I hear a lot more big names as potential surprises for ASU then us. They are in on a handful of 4 and 5 Star kids waiting to announce.
This adds to the point I'm getting at. As soon as the averageness of this signing class is brought up any number of regulars are quick with excuses. Point is UA missed a chance at doing a lot better. The above quote is another example of such.
The Ooh Aah Man

arizona had 95% of its class locked up before the season started. How would you expect this year's success to impact this recruiting class?

It's also very stupid to judge a class before the kids are on campus. If you've learned one thing during the RR era, it's that he has brought in multiple guys that have excelled at the Pac12 level who weren't highly sought after by other schools.

Scooby, Grant, Phillips, alsadek and on and on.

Truth is a class cannot be judged merely on paper. It takes at least 3 years to be able to put any kind of rating on a class. Even the highly rated guys get hurt, transfer, quit, or don't develop sometimes. You never know what you're going to get. All you can do is trust in your coach, and luckily for us Arizona fans we have a pretty darn good one.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Recruiting Data:

Hopefully this can open some dialogue. I have some area of concerns regarding recruiting/recruiting momentum.

First off most of this data comes from Rivals DB. Some from Scout and listed as such. Rivals only for most because it's easier nowadays to do multiple searches there. Scout's redisign more cumbersome/slower. At least for me...

One thing that stood out for me is according to both services, Arizona staff offered much LESS scholarships in 2015 class over the last two classes. Roughly 37-40% LESS over both 2013/2014.

Making assumption, less due to number of grey shirts, prep transfers and transfers in general.

Another item is the philosophy of accepting high percentage of verbals prior to season start. Months ahead of signing day. Not many predicted winning the pac12 South this season and Arizona thus far has 84% of exisitng verbals before this past season even began.

This "seems" to be a fairly new philosophy Rich Rod has taken while at Arizona or maybe he has adopted from someone/somewhere else.

In 2013, 84% of Arizona's class verbal[ed] prior to season start.
2014 class, 79%

Looking back Rich Rod's WVU and Michigan classes:
WVU
2004 25% prior to season start
2005 30%
2006 12%
2007 36%
2008 24%

UM
2009 45%
2010 63%

With the success Arizona had this season, would the staff had accepted verbals any differently? Who knows. I do know after the Oregon win, the staff were saying recruit interest in Arizona had spiked. Spike in interest and game visits requests.

I'll throw in after a grueling season (14) games and with success, injuries, transfers and other unanticipated things that occur during/after the season, isn't it possible that priorities and needs change than what verbals staff has prior to the season start? Maybe not.

With the lower number of Arizona offers this class, the numbers game lends itself that Arizona would land less 4/5 star recruits by percentage. Another argument, with success and spiked interest, the number of 4/5 stars landed could stay level or better then previous classes (momentum)

Again, for me recruiting classes are relative. I'm less concerned where Arizona ranks nationally. I'm more interested where Arizona ranks within the Pac12. How Arizona stacks up in recruiting with ASWHO. The competition for in-state recruits. How Arizona progressess landing highly ranked in-state recruits.

Sure, you can't fully judge a recruiting class right away. Yes, the development of players etc. But there's an argument Arizona misses on more 2/3 star recruits then they do on 4 star recruits (there's more of them). There's also a perception game with recruits themselves. Highly-ranked recruits tend to go to where other highly-ranked recruits go. I assume parents look at it as a risk factor. Look at Bama, Florida St, A&M, Oregon, USC, UCLA etc. An argument this recruit perception creates its own momentum among themselves. Once you start landing them with some consistency, it lowers the effort staff has to sell.

Again, look back at the last decades Rose Bowl teams. Look at their recruiting classes. Arizona doesn't rank like theirs. All teams miss on recruits. They're young men. Lots going on there. There's an argument that USCs, Oregons, UCLAs, Stanfords miss on just as many recruits as Arizona. Maybe more, but they have more concentration of 4/5 stars to fall back on. Numbers game? They do have Rose Bowl berths. Hell, UCLA hasn't been to the Rose Bowl since 1999.

Right now Arizona 2015 recruiting rank within Pac12:
Rivals 9th
Scout 7th

I don't think one average, below average class kills a teams future. Arizona had a great 2014 class and terrific transfers. But, Arizona just won the South. It doesn't scream recruiting progress either (9th / 7th).

Some more Data:

2013 class
84% verbal prior to season start
198 recruits offered
16 AZ recruits (HS/Juco) offered (5 AZ verbal/signed) ASU(1) <-- this AZ/ASU comparison are recruits AZ/ASU both offered
Rivals (81) 4/5 star offered (2) AZ verbal/signed
Scout (67) 4/5 star (3) AZ verbal/signed

2014 class
79% verbal prior to season start
210 recruits offered
28 AZ recruits (HS/Juco) offered (8) AZ verbal signed ASU(3)
Rivals (74) 4/5 star offered (6) AZ verbal/signed
Scout (60) 4/5 star offered (5) AZ verbal signed

84% verbal prior to season start
124 recruits offered
19 AZ recruits (HS/Juco) offered (5) AZ verbal/signed ASU(4)
Rivals (46) 4/5 star offered (0) AZ verbal/signed
Scout (52) 4/5 star offered (2) AZ verbal/signed
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Success translates to next year's class not this year. This year's guys provide a lot of depth and if we still have this problem next year it's worth concerning yourself about. IMO there's a lot of under-rated guys in this class and it will be a good one.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

catinfl wrote:Success translates to next year's class not this year. This year's guys provide a lot of depth and if we still have this problem next year it's worth concerning yourself about. IMO there's a lot of under-rated guys in this class and it will be a good one.
Like Shun Brown who should be a 4 star

I'm just hoping somone in the DB ranks is a lock down corner
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Kennan Walker got bumped down to a 3 starby Rivals. I like the Morrison kid alot. Wondering what you all think of him.

Hoping next years class has some better star power, including a big time QB and RB
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Just lost a lot of respect for rivals
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Agreed CATINFL. Kid has a stellar year and gets beat on one play and blows out his knee and he drops quite a bit. That seems harsh.

What do you think of Morrisson?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Gotta love the yearly "this class is a disappointment" thread. How will the Cats ever compete for the Pac-12 South?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azpenguin wrote:Gotta love the yearly "this class is a disappointment" thread. How will the Cats ever compete for the Pac-12 South?
If you're not recruiting at a high level, it does make it tough.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?