Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

TuiTouchdown

Re: 2015 recruits/commitment thread

Post by TuiTouchdown »

Newportcat wrote:
whatisee wrote:Goodbye Kendrick Jackson...not an OKG
I thought this was pretty well known

Do we have any LB's in this class???? We need the Hulk now
Yeah there's 3* Kendal Franklin who's committed. Hulk would be a great get at this point.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

UAEebs86 wrote:Two kids from Hamilton just announced they are walking on, a CB and a lineman. Are we starting to break in there finally?
Doubt it.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Arthur Mcginnis looks like he may be making a decision tonight according to Twitter
TheBlackLodge

Post by TheBlackLodge »

whatisee wrote:Arthur Mcginnis looks like he may be making a decision tonight according to Twitter
Formerly McLurvin
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

I'm not a huge star effer, but damn, ranked 9th by Rivals in PAC12 recruiting classes. That's disappointing. I love what this team has accomplished but I can't help but think we will need to do better than that to get over the hump. :(
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

And the reason you clam he is not an 'OKG'?
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Tezino de-commits from WSU.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

Harvey Specter wrote:
And the reason you clam he is not an 'OKG'?
Because he's not coming to Arizona. Scheer stated that it's been that way for a while now.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

UALoco wrote:I'm not a huge star effer, but damn, ranked 9th by Rivals in PAC12 recruiting classes. That's disappointing. I love what this team has accomplished but I can't help but think we will need to do better than that to get over the hump. :(
Really young team. Not making excuses but guys can read a depth chart. Look at the LB's from LY's class that redshirted TY. RS frosh QB and true Frosh RB starting also make it difficult to recruit a QB (which we didn't) and a RB (just Bradford) so two spots that you would expect us to get highly ranked guys based on past performance didn't happen. Both Anu and Wilson are 4* guys as an example.

Along the OL we get the best OT in the State in Walker and one of the top OT's in the west. Eldridge is ranked as the number one OG in the state. Add Harper Sherman, Cody Creason and Kosinski and you're probably looking at 2 starters (Walker and Eldridge)and some always needed depth along the OL from this class. Also, keep in mind that Eddie T will start at tackle and I've heard nothing but good things about the OL guys from the class of 2014. Jordan Poland has lost a lot of weight and instead of weighing 335 he's down to the 305 range. Freikh and Walton are also highly thought of.

Where this class is really going to help is in the guys we have coming in that can play in the secondary. Here's where I could give a crap in regards to how many stars these guys have because of the D we play. You have guys with the skill set to play multiple positions and guys with size and speed. We're bringing in 7 guys that play in the secondary with 4 of those as playing safety and 3 as CB's. I'm not going to bore you with the details but you have some guys that will battle for starting positions this upcoming season and then some guys that will RS but certainly look like they will contribute down the road. RR and company are building depth in the secondary and the size and speed needed to play safety. We had a guy in Tevis who was undersized and was great against the run but couldn't cover anybody to save his life. Grandon came on late with some big plays but our safeties were either a step or two slow in coverage or bit on the run and left our CB's out to dry in deep passes. The guys we have coming in have the combination of size and speed and the ability to cover from the safety position. The guy who takes Bondurants spot has to be able to play like a LB against the run and a cover safety in passing downs. I think we're starting to get those guys when you look at the guys from the 14 class and the guys coming in TY.

Then you look at the LB's and remember that Cobb and Ware both redshirted LY so depending on how they developed this past season you have those 2 highly touted guys competing for playing time this year. Both were 4 star guys LY and then McGinnis could be our only LB signee TY. The only senior LB's we have on the roster are Smothers and Sir Thomas Jackson. If you're a highly touted LB and you can read a depth chart then you know that there was really only room for a couple of LB's. If McGinnis signs with Arizona and Cobb and Ware have developed then you have to like the talent and youth that we have at the LB position.

Go to the official Arizona site and I count 9 guys with DL next to their name. Jeff Worthy and Reggie Gilbert are the only seniors. Turituri and Scooby are listed as LB's but play rush ends on passing downs. Then you have Fotu, Hamiliton, Williams, Franklin, and Connolly that aren't listed as yet on the official roster but are here or will be here by the summer. That's 14 guys not counting Turituri and Scooby.

For 3 positions and we usually rotate 6 guys along the DL not including Turituri and Scooby. 2 seniors in the group with 3 juniors (5 if you include DT and Scooby), 5 RS sophs and Griffin as the lone RS frosh and then 3 true frosh. It will be interesting to see where Griffin, Banda and Bruno are come spring camp? How have they developed etc. Sani Fui came on late last season so you have to like where he should be with a year of S&C under his belt and just more familiarity with the D. Everybody seems to be very high on Fotu and he's here on campus so he should have a chance to make some noise. The key here is depth and that we might finally have some. Williams is also here and it will be very interesting to see where he is come fall camp? Williams and Fui in the middle could really wreak some havoc if both are healthy. I can see Williams redshirting but you never know once Fall camp rolls around.

To summarize, I get that people might be down on this class but I don't get how you can just look at one class and say that's it - we suck. We redshirted some really good players from the 14 class - we had 5 4 star guys from that class according to Rivals and 3 of those Redshirted while Denson and Wilson played. But look at the 3 guys who redshirted and are considered RS frosh TY in Griffin who could be a huge help to the DL and the Ware and Cobb at the LB positions. Those are quality guys that could step in TY and be ready to play at positions of need. I think there will be plenty of guys from the 15 class who play major roles for this team down the road.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

I dont disagree with anything you said but honestly this is the challenge with our program.

We can recruit top level talent when we have open spots but when we dont, we tend to recruit marginal players. Look at Stoops, 2005 and 2006 classes were strong and then things starting falling off in 2007 and 2008 and slightly picked up again when we started winning.

This class feels just like one of those later Stoops classes where we could not sell playing time as much anymore to the higher recruited guys so we end up with a bunch of 2-3 star players who didnt have major offers and are praying they perform well. #OKG's

I could care less about stars, but I do think offer lists are a great way to compare how good a player is. If good teams want the guy then he probably has talent to be good. And typically if good teams have offered him he is higher rated.

Our staff does offer a ton of guys that are highly ranked but this year I guess we could not sell them on playing time so we took less ranked recruits who had some weak offer lists.

Programs like USC, Oregon, UCLA, etc recruit top players every year regardless of depth charts. We need to change that

Hopefully 2016 is much stronger but the same youth issues could be there too
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

i saw a stat somewhere today that said out of the 44 starters in the Superbowl. There were zero 5*'s, 4 4*'s, and 40 players at 3*'s and below coming out of high school.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

Newportcat wrote:I dont disagree with anything you said but honestly this is the challenge with our program.

We can recruit top level talent when we have open spots but when we dont, we tend to recruit marginal players. Look at Stoops, 2005 and 2006 classes were strong and then things starting falling off in 2007 and 2008 and slightly picked up again when we started winning.

This class feels just like one of those later Stoops classes where we could not sell playing time as much anymore to the higher recruited guys so we end up with a bunch of 2-3 star players who didnt have major offers and are praying they perform well. #OKG's

I could care less about stars, but I do think offer lists are a great way to compare how good a player is. If good teams want the guy then he probably has talent to be good. And typically if good teams have offered him he is higher rated.

Our staff does offer a ton of guys that are highly ranked but this year I guess we could not sell them on playing time so we took less ranked recruits who had some weak offer lists.

Programs like USC, Oregon, UCLA, etc recruit top players every year regardless of depth charts. We need to change that

Hopefully 2016 is much stronger but the same youth issues could be there too
Which player(s) are marginal? Since you brought it up - why do you consider what another coach thinks in regards to offers over what your own coaching staff thinks? Are we suppose to wait till the other schools decide before we offer a kid or are we suppose to offer but not accept him until other schools show interest?

News flash for you, our coaches don't wait for the 5* guys to decide if it's a 2* kid they like and want. They watch film, talk to coaches and coaches from other schools who played against said player and if they like him and offer him they will take him - why wouldn't they? If they went by what you're suggesting then Scooby Wright would have never played at Arizona.

Which recruiting sites have "loves football" or "plays with a ton of heart" as one of it's measurements? If it's just about Stars then why isn't Louis Holmes playing in the NFL right now? Guy had all the measurements you could want in a DE but didn't love football and had no desire to get better because everybody told him he was a 5 star already and you can't get any higher. There's a reason why both starting rosters for the SB were made up of 2 and 3 star players as they had the drive to continue to get better. Lot's of coaches get nothing but 2 and 3 star players and unfortunately for the player, the coach doesn't help him get better. It's a 2 way street where the player has to want to get better and the coaching staff has to help him get better. Scooby Wright is a perfect example. If Arizona doesn't come along where does he end up? Sac State? Does he dominate like he did LY knowing that he can dominate at that level and still not get noticed? RR says OKG for that exact reason, they want guys that have the heart and desire that you don't find listed on a recuiting site and that other coaches don't look for as they're stuck with a player having to be a certain size and a certain weight.

There isn't another coach in the country who could've taken BJ Denker and made him good enough to win 8 games at this level. A kid that nobody wanted at any level. Yet, you think the staff should wait to see who else offers before accepting a kid? You could say the same thing about Scooby Wright in regards to several schools had him on campus and right in front of them and yet they thought he wasn't good enough to play at this level. All RR and company saw was film and yet they offered 24 hours later after watching his film.

Lastly, we don't "sell playing time" like Stoops did. You don't have to be the smartest guy in the world to know that Anu will probably start at QB for the next 3 years. Same for Nick Wilson at RB. Biggest difference between Stoops and RR is that KaDeem would not have been behind Antolin when KaDeem was a Frosh. Stoops played the senior even though the frosh was better. RR will play the frosh if he's better than the senior and all you have to do is look at LY with Wilson the frosh and Grigsby the senior.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

whatisee wrote:i saw a stat somewhere today that said out of the 44 starters in the Superbowl. There were zero 5*'s, 4 4*'s, and 40 players at 3*'s and below coming out of high school.

Not making a blanket statement but it's hard to convince a player coming out of HS that everybody is already telling him he's the best, to want to work harder and get better. Not surprised by that stat because all of those 2 and 3 star guys had the desire tog et better because people were telling them that they weren't the best. It really does take a special player especially a 5* player to work even harder and to get even better once he reaches campus. Especially if he finds out early on that he's not the best and that he has a way to go to be the best on his team.

Saw a tweet today from Matty D where he said that Lopez and Scooby broke lifting records at their respective positions along with Turituri (who as RR says "can squat the bldg") who broke an overall lifting record regardless of position. Scooby just won every award you could win and yet he's still busting ass in the weight room. That's why guys like him end up starting in a Super Bowl some day.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Faxing still?
Scummy Dick Douglas

Post by Scummy Dick Douglas »

whatisee wrote:i saw a stat somewhere today that said out of the 44 starters in the Superbowl. There were zero 5*'s, 4 4*'s, and 40 players at 3*'s and below coming out of high school.
Are you hoping to send more players to the league or win college football championships? If its the latter, then stars and/or general recruiting rankings do matter. Just look at the PAC 110/2. In the last 10 years, how many times did a team incapable of regularly pulling top 25 classes win the conference?
eoe

Post by eoe »

Just looking at McGinnis at this point? Based off some very unreliable postulating, I think he ends up at OU.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

eoe wrote:Just looking at McGinnis at this point? Based off some very unreliable postulating, I think he ends up at OU.
Arizona
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Gabe Reid committed to Stanford.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
mytwocents

Post by mytwocents »

I assume we're all here waiting on AM...correct?
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Isn't McGinnis commiting tonight
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

UALoco wrote:Tezino de-commits from WSU.
Any chance RR goes after him
mytwocents

Post by mytwocents »

3goggles wrote:Isn't McGinnis commiting tonight
Yes...hence the AM.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

Scummy Dick Douglas wrote:
Are you hoping to send more players to the league or win college football championships? If its the latter, then stars and/or general recruiting rankings do matter. Just look at the PAC 110/2. In the last 10 years, how many times did a team incapable of regularly pulling top 25 classes win the conference?
Wow!! Please keep posting!! Can you point out where anybody said all we want or need is 2 and 3 star guys? At the same time, Ucla and SC have always had top 25 recruiting classes and yet they don't win their division every year nor do they win the conference championship every year. Otherwise what you posted was spot on.
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

Come on Hulk, we're not getting any younger here. It's a school night, young man.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

It's Oklahoma my gut was wrong :(
Scummy Dick Douglas

Post by Scummy Dick Douglas »

dc4azcats wrote:
Wow!! Please keep posting!! Can you point out where anybody said all we want or need is 2 and 3 star guys? At the same time, Ucla and SC have always had top 25 recruiting classes and yet they don't win their division every year nor do they win the conference championship every year. Otherwise what you posted was spot on.

Haha, a bit sensitive? Go read through the thread again and you will find several points in which people are justifying this years class as all RR needs.

Championship football requires coaching and talent. Though you noted UCLA and USC (both lacking in the coaching department imo), you failed to recognize that Stanford and Oregon are consistently pulling top 20 recruiting classes. RR clearly possesses the ability to coach. If he can couple that with a few classes sprinkled with top tier national talent, UA will be a real threat to win Rose Bowls and go to the playoffs. Until that happens, this years result (winning the South) is the ceiling for this team given the talent on the roster.
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

catinfl wrote:It's Oklahoma my gut was wrong :(
Well, fuck.

OK has great tradition but that program is in a nosedive & I don't see either Stoops being there 3 years from now, but hey, to each his own.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Oklahoma
Last edited by RazorsEdgeAZ on Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Does anyone else who is reasonable with regards to the reality of Arizona football recruiting feel like the guys who stand by Rich Rod no matter what and don't care about rankings simply yell SCOOBY at their top of their lungs as their only argument to why they are right.

Scooby is the exception not the rule

Scooby started getting tons of offer late in his recruiting too, thats why Rich Rod had to fly on a private jet to secure him before signing day.

Other schools missed him early and we landed him just like Ryan Dunn and Paul Elvira and Jerod Cody and Patrick Glover and Khari McGee and David Maka and basically the entire 2012 recruiting class.

Screw Hulk too, he was too highly rated
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Recruiting Louisana heavily i think will prove to be a waste of time just like recruiting Texas heavily was for all those years

Didn't get us to a rose bowl then and doubtful it will now
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

Newportcat wrote:Recruiting Louisana heavily i think will prove to be a waste of time just like recruiting Texas heavily was for all those years

Newportcat,

There is a reason why a school like LSU is not battling us for any of our Louisiana recruits. Pretty simple really, but please keep those unpleasant details on the down low.

We don’t want to get the homie natives in an uproar.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Gladiator Cat wrote:
Newportcat wrote:Recruiting Louisana heavily i think will prove to be a waste of time just like recruiting Texas heavily was for all those years

Newportcat,

There is a reason why a school like LSU is not battling us for any of our Louisiana recruits. Pretty simple really, but please keep those unpleasant details on the down low.

We don’t want to get the homie natives in an uproar.
We're actually going to be battling LSU and the like for his teammate next year in 4* WR Clyde Leflore. You have to create the relationships before you start waving your dick around in SEC country.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

A stud football player from the state of Louisiana with an LSU offer entertaining lesser offers from outside the SEC.

That might present an interesting opportunity for cooler heads to prevail by keeping your dick in your pants as reality sets in while roaming around SEC country.

Count me as highly skeptical.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

dc4azcats wrote:
What a ludicrous statement. How many times have USC & UCLA been to the Rose Bowl in the last 30 years? How many times has the UA been??

Recruiting (and stars) do matter.

Denial is not a river in Egypt.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

At this point are there any other potential recruits out there or is our class set?

I remember being fired up for signing day last year with the class we had coming in

This year not so much
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Newportcat wrote:At this point are there any other potential recruits out there or is our class set?

I remember being fired up for signing day last year with the class we had coming in

This year not so much
There's always guys out there and backup plans. We had a couple secret visitors that may come to fruition.
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

helpful reminder today:
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

One from the Louisiana pipeline, although he did not have a LSU offer:
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

catinfl wrote:It's Oklahoma my gut was wrong :(
Dammit!
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

Newportcat wrote:Does anyone else who is reasonable with regards to the reality of Arizona football recruiting feel like the guys who stand by Rich Rod no matter what and don't care about rankings simply yell SCOOBY at their top of their lungs as their only argument to why they are right.

Scooby started getting tons of offer late in his recruiting too, thats why Rich Rod had to fly on a private jet to secure him before signing day.

Other schools missed him early and we landed him just like Ryan Dunn and Paul Elvira and Jerod Cody and Patrick Glover and Khari McGee and David Maka and basically the entire 2012 recruiting class.

I know what you're saying, but it's not just Scooby. It's also Nate Phillips, Grant, and Tevis. And we've had 4*s who have not panned out, while those 2* players or walk-ons have gone on to do great things: Kyle Kelly and Logan Stott.

Stars matter in the off-season. It gives us something to obsess over. But what ultimately matters is on the field. 8-5 in 2012, 8-5 in 2013, and 10-4 in 2014 (while winning the South). At the end of the 2015 season, if we've taken a step then we can look back and say something went wrong.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Newportcat wrote:Does anyone else who is reasonable with regards to the reality of Arizona football recruiting feel like the guys who stand by Rich Rod no matter what and don't care about rankings simply yell SCOOBY at their top of their lungs as their only argument to why they are right.

Scooby didn't get "tons" of offers late. Cal called him and basically was seeing if they could sway him and that's it. One school.. Jerod Cody and Paul Elriva both retired due to medical. Glover, McGee, and Maka just quit
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Are there any examples of a B1G or P12 school making it to the Rose Bowl since online recruiting services tracking that have same, similar or lower ranking or avg star rating as Arizona over 2-3 consecutive years? Any?

Not points, which rankings use which imo is not best way to rank. It's based on star and quantity of class commits. Look at Stanford awhile back. Ranked lower (points) but only had (12) commits in class. But their class avg rating was well above 3 stars.

Maybe that's someplace the "Star" debate can reference to. If there are/is, we can go from there. If not, Team ratings/rankings should stay a strong example to reference to.

Not just individual players but team rankings. Depth.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Walk on?

http://recruiting.scout.com/story/13864 ... ton-barlow

http://www.sports360az.com/2014/04/brea ... es-spring/
Last edited by RazorsEdgeAZ on Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote: Walk on?

http://recruiting.scout.com/story/13864 ... ton-barlow

http://www.sports360az.com/2014/04/brea ... es-spring/
Should be. I don't think walk-ons sign anything though
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:Are there any examples of a B1G or P12 school making it to the Rose Bowl since online recruiting services tracking that have same, similar or lower ranking or avg star rating as Arizona over 2-3 consecutive years? Any?

Not points, which rankings use which imo is not best way to rank. It's based on star and quantity of class commits. Look at Stanford awhile back. Ranked lower (points) but only had (12) commits in class. But their class avg rating was well above 3 stars.

Maybe that's someplace the "Star" debate can reference to. If there are/is, we can go from there. If not, Team ratings/rankings should stay a strong example to reference to.

Not just individual players but team rankings. Depth.
I think we can look at Michigan State, which are pretty consistent without recruit rankings. They also went to the Rose Bowl in 2014 and beat Stanford.

2011 - Two 4*, Seventeen 3*, Two 2*
2012 - Three 4*, Sixteen 3*, One 2*, One no-star
2013 - Three 4*, Thirteen 3*, One 2*

(In 2010 and 2014 Mich St. had a 5* in each of their classes. But otherwise think it's pretty comparable with where we are.)

I think we can also look at the success of Kansas State, which has done pretty well on the field with recruits who would cause people on this board to lose some sleep.

Two 4* in 2010 (Finished 7-6)
Zero 4* in 2011 (Finished 10-3)
One 4* in 2012 (Finished 11-2, played in the Fiesta Bowl and lost to Oregon)
Two 4* in 2013 (Finished 8-5)
Two 4* in 2014 (Finished 9-4)

Those are just two I could think of at the top of my head.

**Rankings all based on Rivals
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Thx TuiTouchDown.

Good to have discussion imo. Because I had to look it up. Below are MichSt Rivals Team star ratings. Mich St last appearance in Rose Bowl prior to 2014 was 1988. I like the Mich St. example as an example on how a School can break through and get to the next step. Dantonio's first recruiting class with the Spartans was 2008. Going by Rivals rating, after he was on board Mich St ratings elevated. Stayed elevated consistently. Looking/hoping for Arizona to look much like this.

Again, no way I believe it's 1 or 2 classes. Not sure, but probably 3-4 solid consecutive classes. Great coaching which I believe AZ has. At this point I don't believe it's the highest rated classes either (where coaching comes in). But I do believe that TEAM classes with consecutive averages 3.00 above differentiate over teams that don't consecutively hit that mark. I believe recruiting service history supports that.

Thought is ONE key component in recruit evaluation is Size/Speed. Fundamental component. More subjective on evaluating their talent and their competition. Higher rated recruits do get invited to camps that get exposed to other recruits with similar or better size/speed. Just more exposure/practice to get adjusted to the size/speed.

MichSt:
2015 3.39
2014 3.27
2013 3.11
2012 3.11
2011 3.00
2010 3.05
2009 3.30
2008 2.71
2007 2.70
2006 2.54
2005 2.75
2004 2.94
2003 2.63
2002 3.10

Arizona comparison:

AZ:
2015 2.80
2014 3.09
2013 2.88
2012 2.88
2011 2.81
2010 3.04
2009 2.96
2008 2.96
2007 2.72
2006 3.28
2005 3.17
2004 2.38
2003 2.77
2002 2.76
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Scooby didn't get "tons" of offers late. Cal called him and basically was seeing if they could sway him and that's it. One school.. Jerod Cody and Paul Elriva both retired due to medical. Glover, McGee, and Maka just quit[/quote]

I had heard Scooby was offered by a couple pac-12 schools and thats why rich Rod got on the private jet to go see him. Scooby again is the exception not the rule

Ok will give you Jerod Cody and Elvira but what about Ryan Dunn and Kaige Lawrence and Javelle Allen and Jarrell Bennett and literally I can write 100 more names of 2-3 star recruits who never really did anything at Arizona.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

I dont want to be the exceptions to recruiting rules like Michigan State (Who if you look at their stars are recruiting better then us and have been playing in a weak Big 12) or Kansas State (Who have their own system of JC guys that is much different then ours) I want to follow the top teams in the Pac-12 like Oregon, USC, Washington, Stanford, UCLA, USC, and heck even ASU this year.

Look I think last years class was great, Top 25, good amount of 4 stars and high 3 stars with great offer lists coupled with some OKG's. Only thing I didn't like was how poor the JC recruits have performed as I think at a place like Arizona we need strong JC recruits to supplant our high school recruits.

I dont have illusions we will recruit Top 10 classes but Top 25 yes especially in a year like this where we just finished out a brand new football facility and went to the Fiesta Bowl.

To take a step back seems crazy to me. Now of course proof is in the pudding but still all I am asking for is a class like last year as you can already see guys like Wilson and Denson and Wood being studs for us.

Too many here make too many excuses for Arizona football. It is one of the biggest problems with our program as Arizona basketball fans don't make excuses like we do for football.
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

Newport, I understand your concern, but you said it - let the proof be in the pudding. Look at RR's first class he signed, the guys that will be seniors next year....it's garbage as a whole, basically Parks and Griffey are the only significant contributors. And yet, despite that, we've gone 8-5,8-5, 10-4. I think it's OK to be "meh" about this class, but thinking that this so-so class is some harbinger of doom is super premature given what this staff has been able to accomplish so far.

The basketball comparison isn't fair as the dynamics of the sport are vastly different....but I'll indulge it for a moment. A big part of recruiting in either sport is reputation, gravitas, prestige, etc. Where we are as a football program is basically where we were in basketball in 1987-88 when Lute was still building the basketball brand. I was much younger then but I don't remember people second-guessing Lute because guys like Matt Othick and Wayne Womack didn't seem like grade-A talent.

We are a promising and growing football brand, but we are still not a football destination. We aren't more prestigious than USC, UCLA, or (hate to say it) ASU from a football reputation perspective. The only ways we get better talent with lesser reputation are by working harder, taking risks, or cheating. I don't see us doing either of the latter and I believe this staff works damn hard, so the only way we jump up in the caliber of talent we can get is to increase prestige...and that takes YEARS.

Basically....it's a long process and it's not linear. I agree that on paper this class isn't very exciting. However, I don't think it's fair to draw any conclusions from that. This class might end up being the class that provides depth behind the studs in the 2014 class, or it might be the glue guys that mentor the super-talented 2016 class. Let's start judging this class on the beach in Honolulu in 2019 when these guys have completed their senior season.