Catinfl's Way To Early Depth Chart.

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

catinfl

Catinfl's Way To Early Depth Chart.

Post by catinfl »

Still a little salty about yesterdays game so I'm going to look forward to next year..

QB- Anu/Dawkins or Randall

To all those Dawkins conspiracy theorists I don't really believe it. I think they'll be a "competition", but RR knows who's starting next year and that's Anu.

RB- Wilson/ Baker or Bradford.

Wilson is a stud. He's going to be really really really good. Problem is he's been injury prone since highschool.. I like what I've seen from Baker and I think Bradford is going to be a good one also.

Slot 1: Phillips/Ellison or Debowskie
Slot 2: Neal/Johnson
Outside 1: Jones/Richards
Outside 2: Grant/ Griffey.

I've heard some good things about Debowskie and Ellison. They could get in there, but I'm not really sure beyond that. Jones will be a year more mature and will be good. Excited to see the jump if any Richards and Griffey can make. Neal has the potential can he put it together? TJ Johnson will be a 2nd year guy and I'm sure RR will find somehow to get his speed involved. Phillips has to recover, but he was one of our more consistent receivers and we missed him near the end of last year. Grant was our best receiver. He gets open and will be really good next year. All in all we're in good shape at receiver.

OT: Tagoloa/Friekh
OG: Bundage/ Hemilla
C: Walton/Wood
OG: Alsadek/Kosinski
OT: Maiva/ Poland

The offensive line may get mixed up a lot. I've heard some things about Bundage maybe moving to center and Maiva not starting would be a shock. Tagoloa will be a beast and one of our best guys right away. If Bundage doesn't gain 12 pounds in three days again he'll be our best run blocker. Walton has a mean streak and I've heard good things. Alsadek is a big guy and will put in work and be a solid guy. Heard some good things about Poland and he may slide into a starting spot also.

DE: Fotu/Allen
NT: Melvin/Fumiano
DE: Gilbert/ Zellers or Griffin

Fotu is gonna be a monster. Melvin was our best NT before he got suspended. Fumiano came on late this year and was pretty solid. Another year in S&C and he might have a breakout year. Calvin Allen has the size to be good. Gilbert coming back WOULD BE HUGE. I'm banking on it happening. I think moving Zellers to the edge might be good. Hopefully he gains some weight. Heard some good things about Griffin. Timmy Hamilton might get in there also.

OLB: Turituri
MLB: Scooby
OLB: Miller or Ippo

Cobb, Matthews, and Ware will get some time also. Scooby won't come out the game so they'll sub for one of those four. Line backers should be a strong spot on the defense next year. Gonna be able to get to the quarterback which is always good.

CB: McCall/Brewer
Bandit: Parks/???
Spur: Jones/Lopez
CB: Denson/ Holiday
FS: Cruikshank/ Price

Magiolore will play somewhere and I wouldn't be surprised for him to play at Spur. I like Tellas Jones and think he can be really good. Cruikshank can play corner and saftey, but I heard he's coming as a saftey from what I've heard. I have no clue how Casteel will move them around, but they're all athletic and will have a lot higher upside than the other guys.....

I'm gonna miss Bondy :(
azcat49

Re: Catinfl's Way To Early Depth Chart.

Post by azcat49 »

No Allah? Are you talking about Jared Baker?. Dude disappeared after he fumbled that kick off against Wazzu

CATINFL, who is that freshman that might contribute. Seems we always have one or two that make an impact (Bundage, Scooby, Phillips and Grant, Wilson this year)
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

azcat49 wrote:No Allah? Are you talking about Jared Baker?. Dude disappeared after he fumbled that kick off against Wazzu

CATINFL, who is that freshman that might contribute. Seems we always have one or two that make an impact (Bundage, Scooby, Phillips and Grant, Wilson this year)
Yeah. If not Baker than who else? We don't have many proven commodities other than Wilson there. Completely forgot about Allah he'll be in the mix. I just like Price a lot and think he has some potential.

I have a couple guys that might see the field early. I love Shun Brown. I was skeptical about him at first, but after he tore up Louisiana at receiver and is kicking ass at DB at the Semper Fi All-Star game I think he can find his way onto the field. I think Bradford is good enough to take over RB #2 also. Watch out for Alex Kosinski also. He's enrolling early and his senior film was just him straight dominating on both sides of the ball. For a more obvious one I'll go with Keenan Walker because he's the top offensive lineman in the west.

Other freshman that may play: Darick Holmes, Kendal Franklin, and Demetrius Flannigan.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I like Baker but it seemed the coaches didn't have much confidence in him.i thought he would be the starter this year.

We do need a couple of guys because I also am worried about NW durability. His concussion issues really seem worrisome.

Ihave heard some good things about Banda and Allen. I think they will contribute.do you have some thoughts on our OLine next year. Improved? Nastier? Better at run blocking or pass protection?
UAEebs86

Reggie Gilbert

Post by UAEebs86 »

The reason the staff is confident that Gilbert will get another season:
(I guess they will have to present all game tapes to NCAA).

http://www.foxsports.com/arizona/story/ ... not-122214

TUCSON, Ariz. -- Arizona defensive end Reggie Gilbert is one of only six players left from Mike Stoops' final recruiting class in 2011. He might not be done yet either in a Wildcats uniform.

Signs look good that Gilbert, listed as a senior on the roster, will receive a medical hardship for his freshman season. The school lists him as appearing in six games that year, including one after the midway point of the season -- typically, too much playing time to qualify for a medical redshirt -- but those participation charts can be a bit sketchy, especially for a reserve lineman as he was at the time.

Gilbert says he's "pretty sure" he played in only four games. If so, and assuming none of those appearances came after the halfway point of the season, he fits the hardship criteria. He suffered a torn meniscus that year, he said, ending his season.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

azcat49 wrote:I like Baker but it seemed the coaches didn't have much confidence in him.i thought he would be the starter this year.

We do need a couple of guys because I also am worried about NW durability. His concussion issues really seem worrisome.

Ihave heard some good things about Banda and Allen. I think they will contribute.do you have some thoughts on our OLine next year. Improved? Nastier? Better at run blocking or pass protection?
I think we'll have some growing pains, but by the end of the season it'll be a better group. Tagoloa and Poland are plenty nasty and so is Walton.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Appreciate your thoughts and I know you know your sh*t. I am already missing cats football and yesterday was really disappointing.

We need a playmaker at Bondo's spot. Always thought Parks could be that guy and that TJones could replace Tevis but Parks struggled this year earlyinBondo's spot. That is such acritical position. What about Lopez there?
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

azcat49 wrote:Appreciate your thoughts and I know you know your sh*t. I am already missing cats football. And yesterday was really disappointing.

We need a playmaker at Bondo's spot. Always thought Parks could be that guy and that TJones could replace Tevis but Parks struggled this year earlyinBondo's spot. That is such acritical position. What about Lopez there?
Magilore might move there and he's good. 6'2 215 and could be destructive moving around in Bondo's spot. TJones seems to make plays with the run game, but struggles in coverage.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Seems like Richards has been around a very long time but looking him up he will be a RS SR.
catinfl wrote: To all those Dawkins conspiracy theorists I don't really believe it. I think they'll be a "competition", but RR knows who's starting next year and that's Anu.
I have no doubt that RR already knows who is QB is going to be no matter what he says otherwise, and if it's Solomon so be it. I actually suspect so since he stayed with an awful Solomon so long in the Fiesta Bowl, when he could have given minutes to a Scroggins who no longer has any eligibility just as a reward for sticking with the program.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Couple comments
catinfl wrote:Still a little salty about yesterdays game so I'm going to look forward to next year..

QB- Anu/Dawkins or Randall - I think its Anu, then Randall, then Dawkins, then Brewer. I think Randall has a better shot at the starting job then Dawkins as Dawkins was very raw out of high school

To all those Dawkins conspiracy theorists I don't really believe it. I think they'll be a "competition", but RR knows who's starting next year and that's Anu.

RB- Wilson/ Baker or Bradford. - Our RB depth is definitely lacking and surprised we did not get a JC recruit here though i know we potentially had two at one point. Jones Grigsby was a very good back up this year. Hopefully Baker steps up but Wilson is injury prone

Wilson is a stud. He's going to be really really really good. Problem is he's been injury prone since highschool.. I like what I've seen from Baker and I think Bradford is going to be a good one also.

I think Neal kind of sucks honestly at WR. Big disapointment. I think Ellison or Debowskie come in an contribute too but love our depth here

I've heard some good things about Debowskie and Ellison. They could get in there, but I'm not really sure beyond that. Jones will be a year more mature and will be good. Excited to see the jump if any Richards and Griffey can make. Neal has the potential can he put it together? TJ Johnson will be a 2nd year guy and I'm sure RR will find somehow to get his speed involved. Phillips has to recover, but he was one of our more consistent receivers and we missed him near the end of last year. Grant was our best receiver. He gets open and will be really good next year. All in all we're in good shape at receiver.

OT: Tagoloa/Friekh - Did Friekh red-shirt, i know he played a little early
C: Walton/Wood - Heard Walton is a stud
OG: Alsadek/Kosinski - I think Kosinski stays at Tackle and TD Gross backs up Alsadek

The offensive line may get mixed up a lot. I've heard some things about Bundage maybe moving to center and Maiva not starting would be a shock. Tagoloa will be a beast and one of our best guys right away. If Bundage doesn't gain 12 pounds in three days again he'll be our best run blocker. Walton has a mean streak and I've heard good things. Alsadek is a big guy and will put in work and be a solid guy. Heard some good things about Poland and he may slide into a starting spot also.

DE: Fotu/Allen - What about Jeff Worthy? And what ever happened to Luca Bruno

Fotu is gonna be a monster. Melvin was our best NT before he got suspended. Fumiano came on late this year and was pretty solid. Another year in S&C and he might have a breakout year. Calvin Allen has the size to be good. Gilbert coming back WOULD BE HUGE. I'm banking on it happening. I think moving Zellers to the edge might be good. Hopefully he gains some weight. Heard some good things about Griffin. Timmy Hamilton might get in there also.

OLB: Miller or Ippo - Missing Miller all year sucked and i think Smothers could work his way back into some time next year too

Cobb, Matthews, and Ware will get some time also. Scooby won't come out the game so they'll sub for one of those four. Line backers should be a strong spot on the defense next year. Gonna be able to get to the quarterback which is always good.

CB: McCall/Brewer - thought Brewer was a safety. What about Mascheck, thought he had big upside at CB
Bandit: Parks/??? - Allah?
FS: Cruikshank/ Price - Cruikshank did not look good on his tape and is a summer transfer so doubt he starts.

Magiolore will play somewhere and I wouldn't be surprised for him to play at Spur. I like Tellas Jones and think he can be really good. Cruikshank can play corner and saftey, but I heard he's coming as a saftey from what I've heard. I have no clue how Casteel will move them around, but they're all athletic and will have a lot higher upside than the other guys.....

2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Who will be our punt returner because Neal was flat awful.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

catinfl wrote:Still a little salty about yesterdays game so I'm going to look forward to next year..

Generally agree with most of your conclusions but I wince when I read statements about Tagaloa being a "Monster" and Fotu is a "beast". With regards to Tagaloa this is the same fellow who was demoted to 2nd team right guard on a really, really bad Cal team..........primarily because he couldn't pass block and was getting Goff killed. The Portland State DE abused Tagaloa. After reading some of the recent comments regarding Anu maybe some of our posters have an ulterior motive in wanting Tagaloa as the starter at LT!

Regarding Fotu I believe someone on this board referred to last years JC DL recruit Worthy as being a "beast" and we all know how that turned out and don't even get me started on Louis Holmes. JC recruits are largely a crap shoot. Lets all hope that Fotu is a serviceable player but lets kill the "monster"/"beast" talk on folks who haven't even suited up yet.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

dmjcat wrote:

Generally agree with most of your conclusions but I wince when I read statements about Tagaloa being a "Monster" and Fotu is a "beast". With regards to Tagaloa this is the same fellow who was demoted to 2nd team right guard on a really, really bad Cal team..........primarily because he couldn't pass block and was getting Goff killed. The Portland State DE abused Tagaloa. After reading some of the recent comments regarding Anu maybe some of our posters have an ulterior motive in wanting Tagaloa as the starter at LT!

Regarding Fotu I believe someone on this board referred to last years JC DL recruit Worthy as being a "beast" and we all know how that turned out and don't even get me started on Louis Holmes. JC recruits are largely a crap shoot. Lets all hope that Fotu is a serviceable player but lets kill the "monster"/"beast" talk on folks who haven't even suited up yet.
So obviously you haven't been paying attention for this last year. Well to recap you Freddie Tagoloa has consistently won the scout team player of the week and is the strongest lineman on the team. People around the program all expect him to be one of our best lineman next year and Tagoloa pretty much gave up on Cal.. He and his new head coach didn't get along to well then Sonny fired Jim and that's a big reason and which is why he transferred. Everything I've heard from Tagoloa since he got in this program has been positive and some even ventured to say he was the best lineman on the team, but believe what you will.

JC players are a crapshoot I agree with you there, but Fotu isn't Worthy. Could he bust and not play next year? Sure it's very possible, but he is 6'4 285 and did very well at his JUCO and won his team's defensive MVP. I think him being on campus is huge for him and we'll see very soon if he is as advertised.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

catinfl wrote:
dmjcat wrote:

So obviously you haven't been paying attention for this last year. Well to recap you Freddie Tagoloa has consistently won the scout team player of the week and is the strongest lineman on the team. People around the program all expect him to be one of our best lineman next year and Tagoloa pretty much gave up on Cal.. He and his new head coach didn't get along to well then Sonny fired Jim and that's a big reason and which is why he transferred. Everything I've heard from Tagoloa since he got in this program has been positive and some even ventured to say he was the best lineman on the team, but believe what you will.

JC players are a crapshoot I agree with you there, but Fotu isn't Worthy. Could he bust and not play next year? Sure it's very possible, but he is 6'4 285 and did very well at his JUCO and won his team's defensive MVP. I think him being on campus is huge for him and we'll see very soon if he is as advertised.
Do you know why Sonny fired Jim? Serious question. Jim is reputed to be an OL guru, and RR picked him right up. Also, our OL hasn't been great, perhaps just barely good, since Jim's arrival. Is any of that on Jim?
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Offensive line wasn't performing and sonny wanted his guy. Don't know about the OL but he got 5 commits and 3 last year so let's see how he develops them before judging
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

catinfl wrote:
dmjcat wrote:

Well said.

Not to mention that Tagoloa hated the new OL coach that Dykes brought in to Cal. It was a different system and one he felt didn't fit his needs. Tagoloa can play at the next level but when you play for Leach and or Dykes you don't get to do a lot of run blocking. For a guy that has aspirations of playing at the next level it's not a surprise that he followed Jim Michalczik to Arizona. A guy that has put plenty of OL in the pros.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

catinfl wrote:
dmjcat wrote:

On the contrary I have been paying very close attention. Its just that I put more weight on how a player actually performs against actual competition in conference.......as opposed to scout teams where one might be matched up against walk ons. Against actual competition........1st team PAC12 DE's.....Tagaloa had his head handed to him in pass blocking. Dykes had to demote him to 2nd team to save Goffs life. As far as your claim that Tagaloa "Gave up or quit" on the new coach is that the type of "OKG" guy that we want on our team......a guy that "Quits" on his coach??? Its quite possible that RRod might find a way to use him more efficiently than Dykes did......perhaps at OG where his pass blocking deficienies might be covered up??? But please don't try to convince me that "Scout Team" performances are more indicative of how a lineman might play as opposed to actual live play against real opponents.

By the way, here's a few instances of Tagaloa in action.

http://www.gazettetimes.com/sports/beav ... f887a.html

"A few drives later, Crichton blew by left tackle Freddie Tagaloa and slammed into Goff, knocking the ball loose in the process. The fumble was recovered by Mana Rosa at the Cal 15, setting up a quick OSU touchdown."

http://www.californiagoldenblogs.com/20 ... e-thoughts

"Think about how Freddie Tagaloa got beaten a bunch against Portland State, for example"

http://www.californiagoldenblogs.com/20 ... tt-cochran

"And now we move to offensive tackle, where there figures to be plenty of competition and a lot of question marks. With the decline of Tagaloa, Moore and Okafor had to spend a lot of time out here last season to try and learn on the job. It was rough, with plenty of blown coverages in pass protection and lots of quick pressure killing Cal in passing down situations"

"Freddie Tagaloa has had a miserable couple of weeks at left tackle, and didn't fare much better in this one. The man-child of a sophomore gave up consistent pressure off the edge, at least one sack, and had two penalties"
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

dmjcat wrote:
catinfl wrote:
dmjcat wrote:

On the contrary I have been paying very close attention. Its just that I put more weight on how a player actually performs against actual competition in conference.......as opposed to scout teams where one might be matched up against walk ons. Against actual competition........1st team PAC12 DE's.....Tagaloa had his head handed to him in pass blocking. Dykes had to demote him to 2nd team to save Goffs life. As far as your claim that Tagaloa "Gave up or quit" on the new coach is that the type of "OKG" guy that we want on our team......a guy that "Quits" on his coach??? Its quite possible that RRod might find a way to use him more efficiently than Dykes did......perhaps at OG where his pass blocking deficienies might be covered up??? But please don't try to convince me that "Scout Team" performances are more indicative of how a lineman might play as opposed to actual live play against real opponents.

"A few drives later, Crichton blew by left tackle Freddie Tagaloa and slammed into Goff, knocking the ball loose in the process. The fumble was recovered by Mana Rosa at the Cal 15, setting up a quick OSU touchdown."

"Think about how Freddie Tagaloa got beaten a bunch against Portland State, for example"

"And now we move to offensive tackle, where there figures to be plenty of competition and a lot of question marks. With the decline of Tagaloa, Moore and Okafor had to spend a lot of time out here last season to try and learn on the job. It was rough, with plenty of blown coverages in pass protection and lots of quick pressure killing Cal in passing down situations"

"Freddie Tagaloa has had a miserable couple of weeks at left tackle, and didn't fare much better in this one. The man-child of a sophomore gave up consistent pressure off the edge, at least one sack, and had two penalties"
So we're going back 3 years to when he was a soph? Kind of like how you had us losing to Wazzu TY because they beat us the previous year? 3 years later and from everything I've heard which is the same info that Catinfl has heard - which is that Tagaloa was our best OL this past season even though he had to sit the year out.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

dc4azcats wrote:
dmjcat wrote:
catinfl wrote:
dmjcat wrote:

So we're going back 3 years to when he was a soph? Kind of like how you had us losing to Wazzu TY because they beat us the previous year? 3 years later and from everything I've heard which is the same info that Catinfl has heard - which is that Tagaloa was our best OL this past season even though he had to sit the year out.
3 years ago????? Those articles were from the 2013 season..........all less than 15 months ago.

Once again, its obvious Tagaloa has "issues" with pass blocking. Your continued "he looks great on the scout team" don't hold as much water as his actual play in PAC12 action.
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

We're all cheering for him to dominate though, right? Let's see how he is, either way.
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

catinfl wrote:Scooby won't come out the game so they'll sub for one of those four.
I hope you're not right on this one. With the lack of a bye, I think being able to roll four lines (to use a hockey analogy) is going to be important, especially on defense. Scooby's a monster, but he's not superhuman. (side note, did we ever find out what was going on with him health-wise in the P12 Champ game?)

With our offensive style of play disregarding time of possession, we need to get close to a solid 2-deep, so I'm hopeful (based on prior hype) that Cobb makes the big leap and is a major impact player for us, allowing Scoob to sit occasionally (or bringing even more heat when both are in the game).
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

TuiTouchdown wrote:We're all cheering for him to dominate though, right? Let's see how he is, either way.
I think its likely he does better at the UA if only because RRod runs more of a run oriented offense where Tagaloa will have less pass blocking. Perhaps RRod moves Tagaloa to LG and moves Bundage to center? That would cover up his pass blocking deficiencies.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Somebody mentioned it on here a while back- I think the coaches should take a hard look at trying Neal out at cornerback. This may be where his highest potential and best shot at a NFL contract is.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
rickyk

Post by rickyk »

I think I mentioned it about Neal. Put him at corner and bring Cam back to receiver. Also curious about how anyone can say Melvin was our best NT? I saw him play in a couple of games in 2013 and if that was our best I guess I can understand how we gave up 59 to tempe in 2013. Melvin is nowhere near the NT that Sani is; Sani is much quicker, stronger and all around tougher. Did you watch him at all this past season? When he started getting meaningful reps is when our DL started looking semi-decent.
I would like to also say something about our two new Poly monsters that will be eligible next year. Jason Jewell, the OL coach at GCC says flat out that Freddie is our best OL after watching him this year in pre-season. Freddie and the OL coach that Sonny brought in had this deal about setting the line two steps back from the LOS and it gave Freddie fits. He made no bones about it. As for Fotu; have any of his critics here taken the time to watch his video? I have found that can be helpful in predicting how guys will play--JC or otherwise. It certainly told me what I needed to know about Scooby before he ever put on a pad for UA.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

rickyk wrote:I think I mentioned it about Neal. Put him at corner and bring Cam back to receiver. Also curious about how anyone can say Melvin was our best NT? I saw him play in a couple of games in 2013 and if that was our best I guess I can understand how we gave up 59 to tempe in 2013. Melvin is nowhere near the NT that Sani is; Sani is much quicker, stronger and all around tougher. Did you watch him at all this past season? When he started getting meaningful reps is when our DL started looking semi-decent.
I would like to also say something about our two new Poly monsters that will be eligible next year. Jason Jewell, the OL coach at GCC says flat out that Freddie is our best OL after watching him this year in pre-season. Freddie and the OL coach that Sonny brought in had this deal about setting the line two steps back from the LOS and it gave Freddie fits. He made no bones about it. As for Fotu; have any of his critics here taken the time to watch his video? I have found that can be helpful in predicting how guys will play--JC or otherwise. It certainly told me what I needed to know about Scooby before he ever put on a pad for UA.
Melvin was the best NT in the spring and summer and the coaches were high on him. He's come a long way from the DL coach ripping him to the media. Sani is going to be good now he has the spring and summer to get in better shape and it's never a bad thing to have two good Nose-Tackles. Fanae might be a factor on the OL from what I've heard.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

ESPN Blog on Arizona's position of need:
Arizona enjoyed a successful season, surprising many by winning the Pac-12 South and earning a berth in the Fiesta Bowl. There's still plenty of room for improvement in Tucson, so it's time to take a look at what the Wildcats can do better in 2015.

Position to improve: Depth. Yes, that's not a position in the traditional sense of the word, but that is the facet the Wildcats are most lacking. Arizona enjoyed a number of clutch end-of-game performances to help secure their 10-4 record, but they still struggled statistically against the Pac-12's fast-paced attacks because of general thinness on the defensive side of the ball. The team ultimately allowed 7.4 yards per pass attempt (94th in the nation) despite starting three capable fifth-year seniors in the secondary. That's a solid indication of fatigue.

Why it was a problem: Pac-12 offenses snap the ball frequently. Since Arizona's own attack is one of the many in the conference known for its speedy play, the Wildcats' defense is inevitably taxed. Anthony Gimino pointed out that Arizona defended 1,115 snaps this past season, the second-highest total in the nation. Despite this strenuous workload, only about 15 players saw regular defensive action.

How it can be fixed: Recruiting and continual player development are the keys here. Rodriguez inherited one of the worst defenses in program history after the 2011 season -- "bare cupboard" is an oft-used phrase to describe the state of the Wildcats at that time -- and it can take several years to amass enough talent when playing catch-up.

Early 2015 outlook: Arizona loses only Dan Pettinato along the defensive line, so there'll be a net influx of bodies in that crucial area. There's a tremendous amount of confidence emanating from the linebacker corps because of Wright -- and rightfully so (the guy is a monster). The defense will have to replace loads of proven experience in the secondary, but there is new talent coming in through the recruiting pipeline there. Junior college transfer Paul Magliore and incoming freshman Shun Brown are two names to watch. The Wildcats are trending upwards in regards to depth, but they must successfully develop as much talent as possible to pad the walls and see defensive improvement in 2015.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Dane Cruikshank is also another guy that should be making an impact. He's coming in the summer which hurts, but he has a lot of potential and has a lot of size. Our secondary should be a lot more athletic than last year, but not necessarily better. Denson should slide into the other CB role and he is as athletic as they come. I expect one or two pick sixes from him. Jarvis McCall should only get better and that's a good thing. He was a pretty dang good cover corner and got better throughout the year. Devin Holiday will finally be healthy and will provide some depth there. Watch out for Shun Brown at corner also. I think he's just a stud. Anthony Lopez and Tellas Jones could walk in and take Tevis and Bondurant's spots, but there are other kids that could slide in there. At free safety Jarmar Allah looks to be a front runner here, but watch out for David Price. Magiolore is going to play somewhere. I think he may take Bondy's spot. Will Parks should be the leader of the secondary.

Other kids to keep an eye on in the spring: Kwesi Mashack, Devon Brewer, and Jace Whittaker.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

catinfl wrote:Dane Cruikshank is also another guy that should be making an impact. He's coming in the summer which hurts, but he has a lot of potential and has a lot of size. Our secondary should be a lot more athletic than last year, but not necessarily better. Denson should slide into the other CB role and he is as athletic as they come. I expect one or two pick sixes from him. Jarvis McCall should only get better and that's a good thing. He was a pretty dang good cover corner and got better throughout the year. Devin Holiday will finally be healthy and will provide some depth there. Watch out for Shun Brown at corner also. I think he's just a stud. Anthony Lopez and Tellas Jones could walk in and take Tevis and Bondurant's spots, but there are other kids that could slide in there. At free safety Jarmar Allah looks to be a front runner here, but watch out for David Price. Magiolore is going to play somewhere. I think he may take Bondy's spot. Will Parks should be the leader of the secondary.

Other kids to keep an eye on in the spring: Kwesi Mashack, Devon Brewer, and Jace Whittaker.
Put Davonte in that defensive backfield!
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

carcassdragger wrote:
catinfl wrote:Dane Cruikshank is also another guy that should be making an impact. He's coming in the summer which hurts, but he has a lot of potential and has a lot of size. Our secondary should be a lot more athletic than last year, but not necessarily better. Denson should slide into the other CB role and he is as athletic as they come. I expect one or two pick sixes from him. Jarvis McCall should only get better and that's a good thing. He was a pretty dang good cover corner and got better throughout the year. Devin Holiday will finally be healthy and will provide some depth there. Watch out for Shun Brown at corner also. I think he's just a stud. Anthony Lopez and Tellas Jones could walk in and take Tevis and Bondurant's spots, but there are other kids that could slide in there. At free safety Jarmar Allah looks to be a front runner here, but watch out for David Price. Magiolore is going to play somewhere. I think he may take Bondy's spot. Will Parks should be the leader of the secondary.

Put Davonte in that defensive backfield!
Davonte can still be a really good receiver no need to give up on him yet.. He had a lot of other factors that prevented him from being fully focused this year and I believe he will turn it on this season and we will see his potential.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

I know it's not related to where he plays on either side of the ball, but I like having Neal as a punt returner. I think he's going to break a couple more this year if the blocking improves enough to give him a few yards to start. Most importantly, he doesn't show any fear when he's catching the ball and that's something Arizona has had trouble with in years past. He needs to make better decisions on what to catch and what to let go, but I think we have a legit threat.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

azpenguin wrote:I know it's not related to where he plays on either side of the ball, but I like having Neal as a punt returner. I think he's going to break a couple more this year if the blocking improves enough to give him a few yards to start. Most importantly, he doesn't show any fear when he's catching the ball and that's something Arizona has had trouble with in years past. He needs to make better decisions on what to catch and what to let go, but I think we have a legit threat.
Minus the muff against Asu which gave me a pulmonary embolism he was very consistent. Punt blocking was pretty terrible and never really gave him a chance. His run against WSU was pretty spectacular and showed his potential at the position. He'll be pushed in the fall by Debowskie, Denson, and Holmes. All three are very capable. One thing with RR is that we will have enough speedy shifty guys to return punts/kicks. TJ Johnson will be a homerun threat next year again.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

TJ breaks two next year. That dude is just flat out fast. Looking forward to seeing him getting more snaps as well this year. If Anu improves his deep ball, TJ and Cayleb will terrorize opponents secondaries.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

catinfl wrote: NT: Melvin/Fumiano
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Well Melvin done fucked up. Fumiano should do fine.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Yet Cal fans still think that Arizona looks the other way academically to get certain players.

DeSean Jackson says hello. How many academic casualties have the Bears had lately, with one of the lowest football grad rates in the conference?
ALASKACAT

Post by ALASKACAT »

catinfl wrote:Well Melvin done fucked up. Fumiano should do fine.
What does this mean? Is Melvin done screwing up or he screwed up again and is done with the program?
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

catgrad97 wrote:Yet Cal fans still think that Arizona looks the other way academically to get certain players.

DeSean Jackson says hello. How many academic casualties have the Bears had lately, with one of the lowest football grad rates in the conference?
They're probably confusing us with Arizona State.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

ALASKACAT wrote:
catinfl wrote:Well Melvin done fucked up. Fumiano should do fine.
What does this mean? Is Melvin done screwing up or he screwed up again and is done with the program?
He's no longer with the team.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

That's a shame and unfortunate.

Hopefully Sharif is further along than i think he is to play.

Sani should be a plug in the middle next year. Full year in the strength and conditioning program will make him a beast.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

whatisee wrote:That's a shame and unfortunate.

Sani should be a plug in the middle next year. Full year in the strength and conditioning program will make him a beast.
Freshman who suffer debilitating knee injuries in high school rarely show up to fall camp ready to start. I would expect that Williams, Connolly and Walker all wind up rehabbing their knees while redshirting next year.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

dmjcat wrote:
whatisee wrote:That's a shame and unfortunate.

Freshman who suffer debilitating knee injuries in high school rarely show up to fall camp ready to start. I would expect that Williams, Connolly and Walker all wind up rehabbing their knees while redshirting next year.
He's already been out a year rehabbing the knee, so i expect him to be further along than you. Learning the system is another thing altogether
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Way too early, but it's a forum...
13. Arizona Wildcats
2014 record: 10-4, 7-2 Pac-12

Returning starters: 7 offense, 5 defense, 2 special teams

Key personnel losses: WR Austin Hill, OT Mickey Baucus, C Steven Gurrola, RB Terris Jones-Grigsby, S Jared Tevis, CB Jourdon Grandon, S Tra'Mayne Bondurant

The skinny: There wasn't much excitement surrounding Arizona's recruiting class, which was ranked in the middle of the pack in the Pac-12, after the Wildcats finalized their class in mid-December and welcomed nine midyear transfers. Offensive tackle Keenan Walker is the highest-rated signee, but he's expected to miss the 2015 season with a torn ACL. Junior college defensive tackle Anthony Fotu might be able to provide some immediate help. The Wildcats are expected to bring back 12 starters on offense and defense, including quarterback Anu Solomon and All-American linebacker Scooby Wright. They'll spend the spring trying to replace three starters each on the offensive line and in the secondary.
Ranks:

#3 USC
#6 Oregon
#9 UCLA
#13 Arizona
#18 ASU