2015 Recruiting Class Poll

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

How do you feel about the 2015 Football Recruiting Class?

10 out 10
14%
9 out of 10
2%
8 out of 10
5%
7 out of 10
29%
6 out of 10
10%
5 out of 10
12%
4 out of 10
7%
3 out of 10
14%
2 out of 10
5%
1 out of 10
2%

Total votes: 42

Scummy Dick Douglas

Re: 2015 Recruiting Class Poll

Post by Scummy Dick Douglas »

My point was this year was a relatively weak year for AZ HS talent top to bottom, (outside of Kirk). Next year should be much better though.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

dmjcat wrote:Oh, I read quite well. Unfortunately, you have a comprehension problem (amongst other "issues")

NewportCat just posted the obvious in a post about our most recent recruiting class......it stunk. There are plenty of metrics (Scout/Rival/ESPN rankings) that support that FACT but you (as always) attacked him (as you do anyone that differs with your "The UA football sky is always blue") distorted view of reality.

And by the way, his suggestion that you move over to uasports.net was spot on. You would actually fit in quite well over there and would probably be much happier.

And I changed my signature today in your honor!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Again, the next time you post anything with any substance it will be the first time. I'm sorry, but I guessed I missed the facts that you and Newport brought to this thread? As an example you said this class didn't have any 4* players and in fact it did. I'm sorry, so because we're ranked in the 40's and none of these players have stepped foot on campus as yet that makes it a fact that they suck? Seriously? You seriously make this way to easy.

Which is why I brought up that RR had past recruiting classes in the 40's and 50"s at WVU yet he still had 11 win seasons. Not to mention that I mentioned how many guys had redshirted this past season that the same sites you mention above had them ranked as 4* players. How many guys from this current class will even step on the field this season? 4 or 5 tops? So most of the team that helped us win 10 games and the South are coming back along with some highly rated guys that redshirted LY and you and Newport are still pissed and can't understand why everybody else isn't jumping on your bandwagon? Sucks for you guys.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

Scummy Dick Douglas wrote:My point was this year was a relatively weak year for AZ HS talent top to bottom, (outside of Kirk). Next year should be much better though.
And my point is we really won't know that for a couple of years but, I do find it interesting that Arizona got 4 guys ranked number #1 at their position and top 15 in the West yet you're saying they really aren't that good? So is the cutoff at the top 10 guys in the west and everybody else isn't that good per position or is it just the Arizona guys that are weak? Walker is ranked #1 in the state and out West and 8th in the country by Scout. So are you saying it's just the top 7 OT's in the country that are good and everybody else sucks?

I'm not a big fan of recruiting sites and the star system but I'm curious as to where guys rank by position in the state, out west and in the country. Meaning if we have the OT that is ranked the 8th best in the country, that's not bad. Considering that almost every school in the country will add an OT TY. Same can be said for rankings out west. Being in the top 15 at your position for the entire west would seem to me to be quite an accomplishment but you're saying it's not because pretty much everybody after the top ?? are weak? Interesting.
Scummy Dick Douglas

Post by Scummy Dick Douglas »

dc4azcats wrote:
Scummy Dick Douglas wrote:My point was this year was a relatively weak year for AZ HS talent top to bottom, (outside of Kirk). Next year should be much better though.
And my point is we really won't know that for a couple of years but, I do find it interesting that Arizona got 4 guys ranked number #1 at their position and top 15 in the West yet you're saying they really aren't that good? So is the cutoff at the top 10 guys in the west and everybody else isn't that good per position or is it just the Arizona guys that are weak? Walker is ranked #1 in the state and out West and 8th in the country by Scout. So are you saying it's just the top 7 OT's in the country that are good and everybody else sucks?

I'm not a big fan of recruiting sites and the star system but I'm curious as to where guys rank by position in the state, out west and in the country. Meaning if we have the OT that is ranked the 8th best in the country, that's not bad. Considering that almost every school in the country will add an OT TY. Same can be said for rankings out west. Being in the top 15 at your position for the entire west would seem to me to be quite an accomplishment but you're saying it's not because pretty much everybody after the top ?? are weak? Interesting.
1. It depends on your position. What does Rivals or 247 have the AZ players ranked? And what constitutes "the west" when it comes to recruiting classes? I guess my point is AZ is not exactly a hot bed of HS talent, and this year in particular was not real stacked with talent (again outside of Kirk and maybe Walker). So while it might make you feel better to say UA got the best DT in the state, he is probably not as good as the 8th best DT in Texas or CA.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

dc4azcats wrote:
dmjcat wrote:Oh, I read quite well. Unfortunately, you have a comprehension problem (amongst other "issues")

NewportCat just posted the obvious in a post about our most recent recruiting class......it stunk. There are plenty of metrics (Scout/Rival/ESPN rankings) that support that FACT but you (as always) attacked him (as you do anyone that differs with your "The UA football sky is always blue") distorted view of reality.

And by the way, his suggestion that you move over to uasports.net was spot on. You would actually fit in quite well over there and would probably be much happier.

And I changed my signature today in your honor!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Again, the next time you post anything with any substance it will be the first time. I'm sorry, but I guessed I missed the facts that you and Newport brought to this thread? As an example you said this class didn't have any 4* players and in fact it did. I'm sorry, so because we're ranked in the 40's and none of these players have stepped foot on campus as yet that makes it a fact that they suck? Seriously? You seriously make this way to easy.

Which is why I brought up that RR had past recruiting classes in the 40's and 50"s at WVU yet he still had 11 win seasons. Not to mention that I mentioned how many guys had redshirted this past season that the same sites you mention above had them ranked as 4* players. How many guys from this current class will even step on the field this season? 4 or 5 tops? So most of the team that helped us win 10 games and the South are coming back along with some highly rated guys that redshirted LY and you and Newport are still pissed and can't understand why everybody else isn't jumping on your bandwagon? Sucks for you guys.
"As an example you said this class didn't have any 4* players and in fact it did" In fact it had ZERO 4 stars in Rivals, which is what Newport referred to as well as most of the other posters. Evidently, you missed that fact

"Which is why I brought up that RR had past recruiting classes in the 40's and 50"s at WVU yet he still had 11 win seasons" Which would be pertinent if the UA was playing in the Big East. News flash for DC, the UA plays in the PAC12. Please point out which PAC12 team has ever had sustained success hauling in classes ranked in the 40's/50's??

"How many guys from this current class will even step on the field this season? 4 or 5 tops?" So??? Go back, take a deep breath, and take a look at the title of this thread........it has nothing to do with how many players we have coming back or how many will see the field. Nor does it have anything to do with what Newport or myself posted. Your continued reading comprehension problems are really showing through! :lol: :lol: :lol:

"You and Newport are still pissed and can't understand why everybody else isn't jumping on your bandwagon? Sucks for you guys" I can't speak for Newport but I am hardly "pissed" nor am I trying to get everyone to jump on my bandwagon. I am merely expressing my opinion. You on the other hand, seem to be close to blowing a gasket everytime someone disagrees with your Rosy view of UA football. Given that there will NEVER be a time when everyone on this board will agree with you, it must REALLY SUCK to be you! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

"As an example you said this class didn't have any 4* players and in fact it did" In fact it had ZERO 4 stars in Rivals, which is what Newport referred to as well as most of the other posters. Evidently, you missed that fact
I guess I did since the only post I saw in the entire thread by anybody that mentioned Rivals was Gladiator Cat and he listed where the entire Pac 12 ranked and not any individual players. So one guy mentioning Rivals is the same as "most other posters"? Newport didn't mention Rivals once as far as I can tell in looking at this thread or are you talking about another thread?
dmjcat wrote:
"Which is why I brought up that RR had past recruiting classes in the 40's and 50"s at WVU yet he still had 11 win seasons" Which would be pertinent if the UA was playing in the Big East. News flash for DC, the UA plays in the PAC12. Please point out which PAC12 team has ever had sustained success hauling in classes ranked in the 40's/50's??
It is pertinent if the only guy who has defied the rankings by having recruiting classes in the 40's and 50's yet, still won 11 games 3 years in a row, won the Sugar Bowl and the Fiesta Bowl, finished both years ranked in the top 10, and is the same guy coaching Arizona. This is really difficult for you isn't it? Now I know why you don't post anything with any substance?

It's also pertinent when the same coach has proven time and time again that he recruits to his system and not based on the rankings by recruiting sites. He did it at WVU and he's doing it here.
dmjcat wrote:
"How many guys from this current class will even step on the field this season? 4 or 5 tops?" So??? Go back, take a deep breath, and take a look at the title of this thread........it has nothing to do with how many players we have coming back or how many will see the field. Nor does it have anything to do with what Newport or myself posted. Your continued reading comprehension problems are really showing through! :lol: :lol: :lol:
So what was Newport talking about when he said this:"Who really knows but I do know one thing

Since rankings first came out we typically recruit between a 2.5 to 3 star level for an overall class,"

And this: "I just cant help but think one major reason why we have not ever been there is we have not recruited high level players consistently enough."

Stay with me on this but if we put 8 guys on the field this season that were ranked 4* and will have 9 next season and RR has only been here all of 3 seasons why is it that we have 6 4* guys playing on D TY? If we typically only recuit 2.5 and 3 star guys? I mean if we have not recruited high level players consistently enough then how is it that we end up with 8 TY and 9 next year?
dmjcat wrote: "You and Newport are still pissed and can't understand why everybody else isn't jumping on your bandwagon? Sucks for you guys" I can't speak for Newport but I am hardly "pissed" nor am I trying to get everyone to jump on my bandwagon. I am merely expressing my opinion. You on the other hand, seem to be close to blowing a gasket everytime someone disagrees with your Rosy view of UA football. Given that there will NEVER be a time when everyone on this board will agree with you, it must REALLY SUCK to be you! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Interesting comment, I mean if you just look at the poll it shows that 23 people out of 39 gave our current class a 6 or higher. Not to mention that the highest percentage gave it a 7 out of 10.
Last edited by dc4azcats on Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

The sky is falling! The sky is falling! :roll:
After reading all of these comments I'd like to move my vote from 6/10 to 10/10.
8-)
Mike Luke's burner account.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Oh man that is a good article. Hope DMJ doesnt read it and go postal and all
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Kiyama

Post by Kiyama »

azcat49 wrote:Oh man that is a good article. Hope DMJ doesnt read it and go postal and all
That was a nice article... I did not know Walker had gotten hurt :( . Heard he looked really good, even dominant, and even going against the UnderArmor competition.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

Espn in it's post Signing Day top 25 poll has Arizona ranked 13th going into this season. Four teams from the South division ranked in the top 18.

USC #3
Oregon #6
Ucla #9
Assu#18

http://beta.espn.go.com/college-footbal ... 5-rankings
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

DC you know that means 6-6 and a probable road loss at CU and Wazzu will get us home because, well they did 2 years ago.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

azcat49 wrote:DC you know that means 6-6 and a probable road loss at CU and Wazzu will get us home because, well they did 2 years ago.
Throw out the records when Wazzu comes to Tucson - I'm sure they will be fired up because they beat us 2 years ago and of course who can forget the game back in 2004 when they also beat us at home 20-19?

I'm amazed by the fact that ESPN has us ranked 13th in the country before the season even starts yet our fans, our own fans will have us, as you say - 6-6 or 7-5. If only we had a better practice facility and better recruits, maybe we get ranked in the top 10 instead of the top 13? Get us an indoor facility and we're talking top 5.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

I get what you are saying, but come on. When the national media believes we'll be better than the fans do, then they know what they are talking about. When they don't rate us as highly, they are clueless.

And recent head-to-head records never matter when we've lost (new team, new year!), but they ALWAYS matter when we've won (same staff, same scheme!).

I hope the pundits are right... I see us being a borderline Top 20 team. I worry about the losses on the o-line & playmakers on D, depth at RB, and I am not NEARLY as sold on Anu as most are.

I love our WR corps, expect improved play from the LB with Scooby leading the charge, and am hopeful for our D-Line.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

dc4azcats wrote: I'm amazed by the fact that ESPN has us ranked 13th in the country before the season even starts yet our fans, our own fans will have us, as you say - 6-6 or 7-5. If only we had a better practice facility and better recruits, maybe we get ranked in the top 10 instead of the top 13? Get us an indoor facility and we're talking top 5.

Yes, It's way too early for a Top25. Rarely are they reliable or dependably accurate by mid-season. Sometimes even by post spring game. But why not...

What I noticed by the way too early was two other P12 South teams being ranked ahead of Arizona and Arizona with a no bye week schedule.

FWIW, here's Schlabach's Way too Early this time LAST year with P12 teams:
#3 Oregon
#9 UCLA
#11 Stanford
#18 USC
#25 Wash

Also had ND, Iowa, Texas, Florida, Oklahoma, Texas A&M and Michigan in top 25 and did not have TCU, Georgia Tech, Miss St, Miss, ASU, Utah, Missouri, Kansas St or Boise (others) that reflected CFP/AP poll
Last edited by RazorsEdgeAZ on Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

dc4azcats wrote:
azcat49 wrote:DC you know that means 6-6 and a probable road loss at CU and Wazzu will get us home because, well they did 2 years ago.
Throw out the records when Wazzu comes to Tucson - I'm sure they will be fired up because they beat us 2 years ago and of course who can forget the game back in 2004 when they also beat us at home 20-19?

I'm amazed by the fact that ESPN has us ranked 13th in the country before the season even starts yet our fans, our own fans will have us, as you say - 6-6 or 7-5. If only we had a better practice facility and better recruits, maybe we get ranked in the top 10 instead of the top 13? Get us an indoor facility and we're talking top 5.
Dont bring up that game from 2004 when Henry fumbled the ball 20 feet straight up in the air! Ugh then the Wisconsin game in the Monsoon!
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

Harvey Specter wrote:I get what you are saying, but come on. When the national media believes we'll be better than the fans do, then they know what they are talking about. When they don't rate us as highly, they are clueless.

And recent head-to-head records never matter when we've lost (new team, new year!), but they ALWAYS matter when we've won (same staff, same scheme!).

I hope the pundits are right... I see us being a borderline Top 20 team. I worry about the losses on the o-line & playmakers on D, depth at RB, and I am not NEARLY as sold on Anu as most are.

I love our WR corps, expect improved play from the LB with Scooby leading the charge, and am hopeful for our D-Line.
You had to know there was a little tongue in cheek there right? As for the O-Line, Tagaloa is not only one of the biggest plusses in regards to new faces for this season but he will be one of this teams leaders. Guy is a beast and is just what the doctor ordered when you lose both OT's from the previous season.

I hear ya with RB as Wilson had some injury issues this past season but I look at the fact that he was a true freshman and really didn't get the chance to bulk up in the off season to better handle the wear and tear that a RB getting 20 to 25 carries a game will handle. I think a lot of folks thought he would get some carries but I'm not sure if anybody had him penciled in for 1,000 yards rushing. I thought the rushing LY would come from a variety of places, WR sweeps, Randall running the option and Neal or somebody else getting handoffs out of the backfield. Instead it was pretty much Wilson, Grigsby and Anu. With no bye week it will be interesting to see if RR's incorporates more stuff to take some wear and tear off of guys? Like running some option with Randall?

I'm curious about the Dline as well but I also seem to remember folks talking about how our DL was going to suck LY because we lost Tui and Hood and how we wouldn't be able to replace them. Who had Scooby as a rush DE in passing situations? I have a lot of confidence in Casteel and we finally have some depth and some size along the DL that we haven't had in the first 3 years.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

dc4azcats wrote:who can forget the game back in 2004 when they also beat us at home 20-19?
Well, we've been trying to. /punts dc4 across the tailgate area
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Newportcat wrote:Puerco you are right in that I am disappointed but I guess I find it easier to moan on a Arizona message board then to my wife who could care less. I also agree one single class won't hurt you but just frustrated and more frustrated with some of the homer fans who feel the opposite of me and many others so feel the need to back up my position. But again no need to keep harping on this class as it is what it is
Okay, bud. I'm with you.

DMJ, on the other hand, bugs the hell out of me. :lol:
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Thanks Puerco and obviously I was pretty fired up on us not finishing with a stronger class for a host of reasons I do not need to bring up again. Lets hope in 2016 we have a strong, well ranked class we all like! I just want a Top 15 football program and to make a rose bowl and to me we need a combination of Great Coaching (which we have) and Great Talent (which we could always use more of)

I like DMJ and I am still curious if dc4azcats works in the athletic department. To passionate and too positive not to be. Former player maybe?

Here is to the 2015 recruiting class being done and on to spring football.
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Newport, DC does not work in the AD program and I can tell you he has many close ties to the program. Very close ties. We tailgate every game

He is a classy dude, unlike DMJ
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Not having met him but having read between the lines over the years - DC doesn't work with the department, but he knows what he's talking about, his info is solid, and he's one of the guys here that I pay particular attention to when he posts.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

azcat49 wrote:Newport, DC does not work in the AD program and I can tell you he has many close ties to the program. Very close ties. We tailgate every game

He is a classy dude, unlike DMJ
Figured had to be some connection. What I have found is you have to be careful when reading posters as understanding their connections/motivations etc. Having been a part of Goazcats when it first started, as mentioned before people associated with the program do read these boards and can get quite angry when false or negative information is out there. I am not close to this staff at all but had connections with both Mackovic's and Stoops. I know others had even closer relationships and would then use these boards to push agenda's from people within the program. Or they got to know people within the program and genuinely liked them like I know certain posters felt with Mike Stoops and his staff. They would hear things from them or only take a very positive outlook on things because of personal relationships. This is why I have typically enjoyed Greg Hansen when others do not because I feel he is fairly objective about his views on U of A sports and not the rose colored many of us are due to relationships.

I am not as connected anymore for a number of reasons so any of my insight, opinions, etc is more from an outsider perspective then it was certainly when I was in school and right afterwards (knew guys on the team, knew some of the coaching staff, knew the guys at goazcats who knew people well, knew a number of influential alumni etc.) I sort of distanced myself a little during the Stoops era because from my perspective I thought he was not a great coach but people close to the program liked him and always had his back which I felt jaded opinions. I also realized it is U of A football so why get all worked up about a program that has really never consistently delivered anything of substance ever.

In any event, DC is probably a great guy but I find it so comical/annoying he would attack me they way he does and some others for not being 100% positive about the program always. Just because you have great connections, does not mean your insights are correct or right. In my experience it can mean your insights are biased. Not always but I have seen first hand where it can be.
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS