THE Washington Huskies Discussion & Predictions Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

UAdevil

Re: THE Washington Huskies Discussion & Predictions Thread

Post by UAdevil »

HaCats wrote:7-2, ranked #14 by the committee with 3 games left to play.......and we're going to draw about 45,000. Pathetic.

Call it a dick measuring contest by some of us all you want. If you live in Tucson, are a Cats fan or grad, and you're not dirt ass poor......and you don't go to games......then yeah, you are a bad fan. Sorry. Why is it sacrilege to call some of you bad fans? If you are.....you are. Doesn't make you a bad person, you're just a bad fan.

'The product isn't entertaining enough'. 'Historically, I always get let down'. 'The Washington game is meaningless'. I don't even know where to start with the absurdity of some of these.....so I won't even try.

I know before the season when I saw this game sandwiched between Homecoming and the asu game, that Tucson wouldn't show. It feels exactly like the wsu game last year, that was sandwiched between UCLA and Oregon home games. The stadium was half full with zero energy, and the players came out of the locker room and played with no energy. (And no I'm not saying that players level of effort should be dictated by how many people are in the stands.....but there is some human nature at play there). I sure hope this game turns out better than that one did.

I love how since our chances of winning the South are pretty remote, that suddenly the next two games before assu are 'meaningless'. It's a F*&%ING conference game and we're trying to take a huge jump this year from an 8 win program.....maybe to a 10 win program. Do you not F*&%ING see why that's important for the program moving forward???

Go ahead and just play pocket pool at your house during every home game, unless we're ranked in the Top 4 and are 3 games in front in the Pac South. Sorry that the thought of going to watch your team play an important conference football game in 75 degree sunshiny weather on a Saturday afternoon....is such a chore.
So to be a 'good' fan I must attend every home game from now to eternity? :lol: I'm a huge fan of Ozzy / Sabbath. Am I bad fan if I do not catch the gig every time they pass through the state? I'll be enjoying the UW game from the comfort of my couch, with plentiful beer, no crowds, no lines for food or restrooms...heaven. Don't feel a bit bad about missing UW. UA got $250 for me and a buddy to go see the ASU game...

What is your metric for a 'good fan'? Go to every home game? Go to 4? 3? Buy merch every year? Follow the games on TV? Seriously.

You'd do well to not push away the less fanatical amongst the fanbase. If you ever want to see consistent sell outs you need us. Otherwise shrink the stadium to 35k and only let in those that pass the 'fan test'.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Latest addition of the Sports Guys.

Good show, but could be great with more Jake.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Not sure historically what the average attendance has been at mid afternoon games in Tucson but I would bet its not good. For many of us I am not sure where I would want to be more then out in the sun watching some football but people do have families and other events.

My guess would be that the 4-6pm time slot is best suited to Tucsonans for whatever reason. Unfortunately we do not hav the luxury of telling TV when we want to play.

I know RR took great exception to last years Wazzu game when it was such a nice day and no one showed. Seems the core fan base is around 45-48K and for family weekend and homecoming we get 50K and then when we have a big name opponent or we are in contention or its ASSU we sell out. Here is hoping that we have a really big walk up traffic on game day
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

azcat49 wrote:Not sure historically what the average attendance has been at mid afternoon games in Tucson but I would bet its not good. For many of us I am not sure where I would want to be more then out in the sun watching some football but people do have families and other events.

My guess would be that the 4-6pm time slot is best suited to Tucsonans for whatever reason. Unfortunately we do not hav the luxury of telling TV when we want to play.

I know RR took great exception to last years Wazzu game when it was such a nice day and no one showed. Seems the core fan base is around 45-48K and for family weekend and homecoming we get 50K and then when we have a big name opponent or we are in contention or its ASSU we sell out. Here is hoping that we have a really big walk up traffic on game day
I have band practice every Saturday 10-2pm. That usually takes priority for me.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

UAdevil wrote:
HaCats wrote:7-2, ranked #14 by the committee with 3 games left to play.......and we're going to draw about 45,000. Pathetic.

Call it a dick measuring contest by some of us all you want. If you live in Tucson, are a Cats fan or grad, and you're not dirt ass poor......and you don't go to games......then yeah, you are a bad fan. Sorry. Why is it sacrilege to call some of you bad fans? If you are.....you are. Doesn't make you a bad person, you're just a bad fan.

'The product isn't entertaining enough'. 'Historically, I always get let down'. 'The Washington game is meaningless'. I don't even know where to start with the absurdity of some of these.....so I won't even try.

I know before the season when I saw this game sandwiched between Homecoming and the asu game, that Tucson wouldn't show. It feels exactly like the wsu game last year, that was sandwiched between UCLA and Oregon home games. The stadium was half full with zero energy, and the players came out of the locker room and played with no energy. (And no I'm not saying that players level of effort should be dictated by how many people are in the stands.....but there is some human nature at play there). I sure hope this game turns out better than that one did.

I love how since our chances of winning the South are pretty remote, that suddenly the next two games before assu are 'meaningless'. It's a F*&%ING conference game and we're trying to take a huge jump this year from an 8 win program.....maybe to a 10 win program. Do you not F*&%ING see why that's important for the program moving forward???

Go ahead and just play pocket pool at your house during every home game, unless we're ranked in the Top 4 and are 3 games in front in the Pac South. Sorry that the thought of going to watch your team play an important conference football game in 75 degree sunshiny weather on a Saturday afternoon....is such a chore.
So to be a 'good' fan I must attend every home game from now to eternity? :lol: I'm a huge fan of Ozzy / Sabbath. Am I bad good fan if I do not catch the gig every time they pass through the state? I'll be enjoying the UW game from the comfort of my couch, with plentiful beer, no crowds, no lines for food or restrooms...heaven. Don't feel a bit bad about missing UW. UA got $250 for me and a buddy to go see the ASU game...
UADevil and POM...We'll give you guys a grade(measure your dick per se)..let's say a C for average for not going to the game..that and the way you throw in the towel so fast when the Cats are down...cop to it..you do! Oh, and Ozzy thinks you should be at every show in the State, he is the Prince of Darkness for Christ sakes. You don't have to agree or like it. HACats is spot on. BTW..I will give myself a B. I am above average but not Excelling. I've been to all the home games but did leave the Cal game 4 min early to get back to Phoenix w/o falling asleep in the I10 (i've come very close a few times!) and missed the comeback and Hill Mary. I have paid my penance for that. Oh, I only tailgate sporatically. Sorry guys, I let you down!! Relax guys, we fans are just getting pumped for a huge game. This game is really important for the argument that we are showing progress. If we lose this, what chances do you think we have away against Utah, or at home against the scum devils. UDub should be a sellout. Tucson should fill the stadium for this one. It is an opinion, take it for what it is worth.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

The attendance will be similar to the CU game ~51K. I mean people in Tucson and Arizona just aren't all that "get up" about Az football, gonna take consistent winning and less let downs to change that. Don't know why that's so hard for you all to get. People have priorities and to some Az football ain't it. Not everyone is going to be super fanatic like most of us. I will say if you're in Tucson, with the money for tickets and will just watch at home then yes, you're a piss poor fan. This is UW, not some cream puff.

I'll be there and enjoy myself but I'm not shocked it's not close to a sell out

P.S. This game does have a feel of WSU, except I think that was at 11. Every thing from the crowd to the play on the field was embarrassing. I felt like I wasted 4 hours of my life that day. Let's hope that doesn't happen again.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Geek Stuff:
Arizona and UDub have played four common opponents this season - Cal, Buffs, Ducks, UCLA

Arizona 3-1
UDub 2-2

Here's some stat lines that compare how both teams fared within those common opponent games. Likely doesn't mean much. Maybe little since matchups so key. But what the Hell.

DEFENSIVE Stats (Avg Per Game)
................AZ Avg/UW Avg/Stat Winner
Avg Score Against 26.50 29.75 AZ
Total Defense 458.00 473.25 AZ
Opponent Yards Per Play 6.03 5.70 UW
Opponent Pass Yards 282.50 314.00 AZ
Opponent Pass Att 32.00 43.25 AZ
Opponent Pass Yards Per Att 8.83 7.26 UW
Opponent Pass Completion Pct 64.84% 71.68% AZ
Opponent Pass TDs 2.25 1.50 UW
Interceptions Gained 0.75 0.25 AZ
Opponent Rush Yards 175.50 159.25 UW
Opponent Rush Yards Per Att 3.94 3.98 AZ
Opponent Rush TDs 1.00 2.00 AZ
Opponent Third Down Conv Pct 38.46% 52.86% AZ
Sacks 3.75 2.75 AZ
Opponent Redzone Scoring Pct 90.00% 75.00% UW
Opponent Redzone TD Scoring Pct 50.00% 45.00% UW

OFFENSE Stats (AVG per Game)
................AZ Avg/UW Avg/Stat Winner
Avg Score 31.25 29.75 AZ
Total Offense 469.00 377.25 AZ
Total Offensive Plays 89.00 68.00 AZ
Yards Per Play 5.19 5.65 UW
Pass Yards 298.25 204.50 AZ
Pass Att 47.75 27.50 AZ
Pass Yards Per Att 6.25 7.44 UW
Pass Completion Pct 55.50% 66.36% UW
Passing TDs 2.75 1.50 AZ
Rush Yards 170.75 172.75 UW
Rush Att 41.25 40.50 AZ
Rush Yards Per Att 4.14 4.27 UW
Total First Downs 28.00 18.50 AZ
First Downs Passing 14.50 8.25 AZ
First Downs Rushing 8.75 9.50 UW
Third Down Conv Pct 38.16% 39.66% UW
Sacks Given Up 3.00 2.00 UW
Redzone Scoring Pct 71.43% 78.57% UW
Redzone TD Scoring Pct 52.38% 42.86% AZ
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

cats101 wrote:The attendance will be similar to the CU game ~51K. I mean people in Tucson and Arizona just aren't all that "get up" about Az football, gonna take consistent winning and less let downs to change that. Don't know why that's so hard for you all to get. People have priorities and to some Az football ain't it. Not everyone is going to be super fanatic like most of us. I will say if you're in Tucson, with the money for tickets and will just watch at home then yes, you're a piss poor fan. This is UW, not some cream puff.

I'll be there and enjoy myself but I'm not shocked it's not close to a sell out

P.S. This game does have a feel of WSU, except I think that was at 11. Every thing from the crowd to the play on the field was embarrassing. I felt like I wasted 4 hours of my life that day. Let's hope that doesn't happen again.
I get it...don't like it..but get it.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

If we get 50K I would consider thata success. I just have a hunch we might not get past 46K which is a real disappointment
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

UALoco wrote:Point is, UW should be a sellout.
Point is, you're just someone who wants to feel superior to others without even taking into consideration the various factors that impact attendance. (p.s., you pathetic $20 ticket example is more proof of that. Cause, you know, there are so many single alumni who live within walking distance of the stadium and therefore would only spend $20 to attend a game) It's not like it was hard to come up with examples of why you were wrong, and you still are. But you just want to feel smug and superior, so have at it, it's not hard to be a dick, especially on the internet.

azpenguin wrote:
azgreg wrote:
azpenguin wrote:It would have to be a realistic bid. You in a minivan? No
What if POM had 2 minivans? Would that be better? :mrgreen:
Depends. Can we put people on the roof?
Hell yeah, I've got rope to tie everyone down in place, you know, for "safety".

HaCats wrote: Call it a dick measuring contest by some of us all you want. If you live in Tucson, are a Cats fan or grad, and you're not dirt ass poor......and you don't go to games......then yeah, you are a bad fan. Sorry. Why is it sacrilege to call some of you bad fans? If you are.....you are. Doesn't make you a bad person, you're just a bad fan.
So, I'm wondering, how do you define "dirt ass poor"? Have you ever looked at what the average income is in this town? Hint, it's low. real low. But let's throw that discussion out of the window since you're obviously one who has money and doesn't give a shit about how other people prioritize their spending....

What about people with health issues? Guess they're bad fans. People with kids who have functions at the same time? Bad fans.

I think the real bad fan are fans like you. Guess what type of attitude DOESN'T ENCOURAGE the less hardcore fans to show up? yeah, that's right, yours. Hell, you should pony up the money for some commercials on behalf of the AD, "IF YOU DON'T COME TO THE GAME YOU'RE A BAD FAN, ASSHOLE!" See how much the AD appreciates your fanaticism.
HaCats wrote: .....so I won't even try.
Cool, you concede the points. good to know.
HaCats wrote: Go ahead and just play pocket pool at your house during every home game, unless we're ranked in the Top 4 and are 3 games in front in the Pac South. Sorry that the thought of going to watch your team play an important conference football game in 75 degree sunshiny weather on a Saturday afternoon....is such a chore.
More evidence that you don't get it. P.s., you do realize that attendance across the country (save a few places) is down, right? Nah, just a bad fan in Tucson thing.

UAdevil wrote: So to be a 'good' fan I must attend every home game from now to eternity? :lol: I'm a huge fan of Ozzy / Sabbath. Am I bad fan if I do not catch the gig every time they pass through the state? I'll be enjoying the UW game from the comfort of my couch, with plentiful beer, no crowds, no lines for food or restrooms...heaven. Don't feel a bit bad about missing UW. UA got $250 for me and a buddy to go see the ASU game...

What is your metric for a 'good fan'? Go to every home game? Go to 4? 3? Buy merch every year? Follow the games on TV? Seriously.

You'd do well to not push away the less fanatical amongst the fanbase. If you ever want to see consistent sell outs you need us. Otherwise shrink the stadium to 35k and only let in those that pass the 'fan test'.
Just saw UAdevil making a point I made, before my post. Exactly.
azcat49 wrote:Not sure historically what the average attendance has been at mid afternoon games in Tucson but I would bet its not good. For many of us I am not sure where I would want to be more then out in the sun watching some football but people do have families and other events.

Other things to do? families? whaaaaat?

Naw, just a bunch of bad, horrible fans.

UAdevil wrote: I have band practice every Saturday 10-2pm. That usually takes priority for me.
Bad fan! Bad fan!
UALoco wrote: UADevil and POM...We'll give you guys a grade(measure your dick per se)..let's say a C for average for not going to the game..that and the way you throw in the towel so fast when the Cats are down...cop to it..you do! Oh, and Ozzy thinks you should be at every show in the State, he is the Prince of Darkness for Christ sakes. You don't have to agree or like it. HACats is spot on. BTW..I will give myself a B. I am above average but not Excelling. I've been to all the home games but did leave the Cal game 4 min early to get back to Phoenix w/o falling asleep in the I10 (i've come very close a few times!) and missed the comeback and Hill Mary. I have paid my penance for that. Oh, I only tailgate sporatically. Sorry guys, I let you down!! Relax guys, we fans are just getting pumped for a huge game. This game is really important for the argument that we are showing progress. If we lose this, what chances do you think we have away against Utah, or at home against the scum devils. UDub should be a sellout. Tucson should fill the stadium for this one. It is an opinion, take it for what it is worth.
First off, I wouldn't have so many posts in game threads if I gave up. I'd be one of those people who say "screw this, I'm done" and don't post again cause they turned off the game. But let's not evidence get in the way of ...whatever it is you're trying to prove. P.s., you have zero fucking clue why I no longer go to games, and cost is less than half the reason. (I don't even get to go to softball games any more, which used to be a huge passion for me, but hey, you're too busy jacking off to the idea that you're the greatest fan int he world to look at the fact that life and reality aren't what you want them to be in fantasy land).

I'd give you a fan grade of D for your piss poor attitude towards other fans. But I guess we grade differently.
cats101 wrote:The attendance will be similar to the CU game ~51K. I mean people in Tucson and Arizona just aren't all that "get up" about Az football, gonna take consistent winning and less let downs to change that. Don't know why that's so hard for you all to get. People have priorities and to some Az football ain't it. Not everyone is going to be super fanatic like most of us.
Us people on message boards aren't fanatics. Or at least those of us who aren't able to attend. Haven't you been paying attention ;)
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

UALoco

Post by UALoco »

https://rivals.yahoo.com/video/college- ... 12-1130652

They talked about it here...Jake even says, "I don't understand why the stadium isn't full every single game." That is how our players and coaches feel. If they move on to Florida, don't complain.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
UALoco wrote:Point is, UW should be a sellout.
Point is, you're just someone who wants to feel superior to others without even taking into consideration the various factors that impact attendance. (p.s., you pathetic $20 ticket example is more proof of that. Cause, you know, there are so many single alumni who live within walking distance of the stadium and therefore would only spend $20 to attend a game) It's not like it was hard to come up with examples of why you were wrong, and you still are. But you just want to feel smug and superior, so have at it, it's not hard to be a dick, especially on the internet.

azpenguin wrote:
azgreg wrote:
azpenguin wrote:It would have to be a realistic bid. You in a minivan? No
What if POM had 2 minivans? Would that be better? :mrgreen:
Depends. Can we put people on the roof?

Hell yeah, I've got rope to tie everyone down in place, you know, for "safety".

HaCats wrote: Call it a dick measuring contest by some of us all you want. If you live in Tucson, are a Cats fan or grad, and you're not dirt ass poor......and you don't go to games......then yeah, you are a bad fan. Sorry. Why is it sacrilege to call some of you bad fans? If you are.....you are. Doesn't make you a bad person, you're just a bad fan.
So, I'm wondering, how do you define "dirt ass poor"? Have you ever looked at what the average income is in this town? Hint, it's low. real low. But let's throw that discussion out of the window since you're obviously one who has money and doesn't give a shit about how other people prioritize their spending....

What about people with health issues? Guess they're bad fans. People with kids who have functions at the same time? Bad fans.

I think the real bad fan are fans like you. Guess what type of attitude DOESN'T ENCOURAGE the less hardcore fans to show up? yeah, that's right, yours. Hell, you should pony up the money for some commercials on behalf of the AD, "IF YOU DON'T COME TO THE GAME YOU'RE A BAD FAN, ASSHOLE!" See how much the AD appreciates your fanaticism.
HaCats wrote: .....so I won't even try.
Cool, you concede the points. good to know.
HaCats wrote: Go ahead and just play pocket pool at your house during every home game, unless we're ranked in the Top 4 and are 3 games in front in the Pac South. Sorry that the thought of going to watch your team play an important conference football game in 75 degree sunshiny weather on a Saturday afternoon....is such a chore.
More evidence that you don't get it. P.s., you do realize that attendance across the country (save a few places) is down, right? Nah, just a bad fan in Tucson thing.

UAdevil wrote: So to be a 'good' fan I must attend every home game from now to eternity? :lol: I'm a huge fan of Ozzy / Sabbath. Am I bad fan if I do not catch the gig every time they pass through the state? I'll be enjoying the UW game from the comfort of my couch, with plentiful beer, no crowds, no lines for food or restrooms...heaven. Don't feel a bit bad about missing UW. UA got $250 for me and a buddy to go see the ASU game...

Just saw UAdevil making a point I made, before my post. Exactly.

Other things to do? families? whaaaaat?

Naw, just a bunch of bad, horrible fans.

UAdevil wrote: I have band practice every Saturday 10-2pm. That usually takes priority for me.
Bad fan! Bad fan!
UALoco wrote: UADevil and POM...We'll give you guys a grade(measure your dick per se)..let's say a C for average for not going to the game..that and the way you throw in the towel so fast when the Cats are down...cop to it..you do! Oh, and Ozzy thinks you should be at every show in the State, he is the Prince of Darkness for Christ sakes. You don't have to agree or like it. HACats is spot on. BTW..I will give myself a B. I am above average but not Excelling. I've been to all the home games but did leave the Cal game 4 min early to get back to Phoenix w/o falling asleep in the I10 (i've come very close a few times!) and missed the comeback and Hill Mary. I have paid my penance for that. Oh, I only tailgate sporatically. Sorry guys, I let you down!! Relax guys, we fans are just getting pumped for a huge game. This game is really important for the argument that we are showing progress. If we lose this, what chances do you think we have away against Utah, or at home against the scum devils. UDub should be a sellout. Tucson should fill the stadium for this one. It is an opinion, take it for what it is worth.
First off, I wouldn't have so many posts in game threads if I gave up. I'd be one of those people who say "screw this, I'm done" and don't post again cause they turned off the game. But let's not evidence get in the way of ...whatever it is you're trying to prove. P.s., you have zero fucking clue why I no longer go to games, and cost is less than half the reason. (I don't even get to go to softball games any more, which used to be a huge passion for me, but hey, you're too busy jacking off to the idea that you're the greatest fan int he world to look at the fact that life and reality aren't what you want them to be in fantasy land).

I'd give you a fan grade of D for your piss poor attitude towards other fans. But I guess we grade differently.
cats101 wrote:The attendance will be similar to the CU game ~51K. I mean people in Tucson and Arizona just aren't all that "get up" about Az football, gonna take consistent winning and less let downs to change that. Don't know why that's so hard for you all to get. People have priorities and to some Az football ain't it. Not everyone is going to be super fanatic like most of us.
Us people on message boards aren't fanatics. Or at least those of us who aren't able to attend. Haven't you been paying attention ;)
Guess we hit a chord..sorry to hurt your feelings. You are a good fan..there there. :lol:
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

UALoco wrote: Guess we hit a chord..sorry to hurt your feelings. You are a good fan..there there. :lol:
Just too old and too tired to take people's shit.

Oh, and attendance (other than a select group of schools) is down EVERYWHERE (even at Florida, although they're starting from a number much higher number)

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... wn-in-2014

::::edit

and AZ's attendance is UP
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Can you guys create your own "bad fan" thread?

I keep wanting to read up on the game but all this drivel gets in the way.

btw, I would go to every game but I hate the ???-Outs and gimmicks, so there.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Merkin wrote:Can you guys create your own "bad fan" thread?

I keep wanting to read up on the game but all this drivel gets in the way.

btw, I would go to every game but I hate the ???-Outs and gimmicks, so there.
There's a game? ;)

AZ needs to win this game and get to a guaranteed winning conference record for the season.

p.s, you hate the gimmicks, you're a bad fan ;) ;)

UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Ok guys, here is my last post on the subject...I know I am not the most savvy board member...probably just a misguided but well intentioned fan...

Letter from Greg Byrne sent minutes ago...

GOOD OR GREAT SEASON?

With three games left on the schedule, we’re down to the fourth quarter of the 2014 football season. Two of those three will be played here in Tucson. Whether this year is remembered as a good season or a great one will be determined in the next three weeks. We need Arizona Stadium to be full and loud for these last two home games. It looks like the Nov. 28 game vs. our rivals is sold out, but there are plenty of seats for Saturday’s game versus a good Washington team.

Coach Rodriguez has the program ranked 14th in the college football playoff poll and we’ve been in the national conversation all season. The team plays hard and competes for 60 minutes in every game. Saturday’s game will be the first day game of the season with a 1:30 p.m. kickoff. The forecast is calling for a picture-perfect day in Tucson with clear skies and 75 degrees. Our ticket prices are very competitive with our Pac-12 peers. Tickets for Saturday’s game start at $20 for adults and $10 for kids 12 and under. Here is a look at entry prices for the other Pac-12 games this weekend:

Cal at USC $50 for adults, no youth ticket price.
Utah at Stanford $40 for adults, no youth ticket price.
ASU at Oregon State $55 for adults, no youth ticket price.
Washington at Arizona $20 for adults, $10 for kids 12 and under.

I know the majority of you reading this support our program by going to the games and as Wildcat Club members, but to those who live in the area and are still on the fence, we need you in the stadium. We need you to be a part of the 11+1 equation. We need you to “Be The One.”

I want to challenge all of our fans to fill Arizona Stadium on Saturday. If you’re a season ticket holder or already bought your tickets, thank you. We appreciate your support. Please share this message with your friends, neighbors, co-workers, etc. and encourage them to come to the game. If you don’t have tickets yet, please visit the McKale Ticket Office, call (520) 621-CATS or click HERE to buy online. With the Nov. 28 game being sold out, this Saturday is your last chance to see a home game at Arizona Stadium this fall. Don’t miss it!
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Keeping an eye on the LA schools. If both lose a game the Cats win the south by winning out. One's going to lose because they play each other. Have to wonder if this is the weekend Cal pulls a rabbit out of their hat and beats USC. I doubt it, but they are kind of due. Getting that shot to win the South is a long shot, but crazier things have happened. Still, win this weekend and we've got 8-2... rarefied air.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

i'm a terrible fan. I have a prior commitment at 4pm on Saturday that was established well before the kick of time of the game.
gumby

Post by gumby »

It helps to be a bad person to be a great fan.

Prior commitment? What does that even mean! You block out all Saturdays in the fall. How hard is that? If someone has a beef, you ignore them. If they persist, you file for divorce or make your kids cry. Or both! It's work-related? Quit! Isn't it time you were your own boss anyway?

If it were easy to be a great fan, it wouldn't be so rewarding.
Right where I want to be.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

That's a pretty rough injury report. RichRod usually (not always) doesn't play guys listed as questionable. Considering Parks had a concussion I think we won't see him.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Its good to have fans whether they sit on their couch or at the stadium. But man it sucks to see a program like Stanford getting more people in the seats. 50K is not that much and I guess the good team angle will be blown out the window if we win 10 nut can't average 50K+. Not sure what more GB could do but I like the argument of improving parking. That is an issue
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg wrote:

Did they purposely forget Nate Phillips?
Machina

Post by Machina »

What exactly is the parking issue? I pay $5 to park on the west side of campus and just walk and have no issues. Of course I usually go to Bens or No Anchovies for a bit before. Is it that bad right by the stadium?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin wrote:Did they purposely forget Nate Phillips?
I don't believe they mention guys who are gone for the year on these reports.

UA football: Phillips out for rest of season

http://tucson.com/sports/blogs/uafootba ... 0eee0.html
November 11, 2014 12:17 pm • By Daniel Berk

Rich Rodriguez confirmed on today's Pac-12 coaches teleconference that receiver Nate Phillips will miss the rest of the season with a broken foot.

Phillips, who was the UA's leading receiver last season, injured his left foot in the first half of Saturday's game against Colorado. He exited after catching one pass for five yards.

He finished the game in street clothes on the sideline on crutches, and in a walking boot.

The receiver will have surgery to repair the foot today.

Phillips had 25 catches for 272 yards and two touchdowns this season before being injured. He had played in all nine games and started five.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

azgreg wrote:
Trevor Ermisch was the big surprise to me. He was reported out for the year after the Cal game with his arm injury. I hope this means he could be back for ASSu or any of our post season activity.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

ANGCatFan wrote:
azgreg wrote:
Trevor Ermisch was the big surprise to me. He was reported out for the year after the Cal game with his arm injury. I hope this means he could be back for ASSu or any of our post season activity.
Whoa, good catch there. I missed that. As long as he's healthy and good to go I'd love to see him get some time on the field.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Regarding the low attendance I think quite a few of the fans here are missing the obvious issue that Tucson is a minimum wage town. These numbers are dated but I remember reading that the average salary in Tucson was $28,000/yr while the average wage in the East Valley was over $45,000. People in Tucson just don't have the disposable income to drop on a football game. There are a whole host of reasons for the low wages in Tucson (over-regulation, over taxation, open hostility to business) and until they are dealt with (change in politics) many folks will never have the extra cash for football tickets.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

My son and his friends met BJ at the Cal game and they all think he's awsome because he hung out with them and had a couple of photos taken together. He still talks about it.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Looks like the ice cream truck was not the only new thing after Thursday's practice. Coach Rod also changed up the training table according to College Spun.
Arizona’s football players ate very, very well this afternoon.

Following the Wildcats’ practice, Rich Rodriguez treated his team to a host of tasty treats. The coach brought an ice cream truck to the field and had a buffet of Pizza Hut, Chick-fil-A, Famous Dave’s barbecue and more waiting for the team once they got inside their facility.

It’s gotta be good to be a Wildcat.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

dmjcat wrote:Regarding the low attendance I think quite a few of the fans here are missing the obvious issue that Tucson is a minimum wage town. These numbers are dated but I remember reading that the average salary in Tucson was $28,000/yr while the average wage in the East Valley was over $45,000. People in Tucson just don't have the disposable income to drop on a football game. There are a whole host of reasons for the low wages in Tucson (over-regulation, over taxation, open hostility to business) and until they are dealt with (change in politics) many folks will never have the extra cash for football tickets.

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

Chicat wrote:
dmjcat wrote:Regarding the low attendance I think quite a few of the fans here are missing the obvious issue that Tucson is a minimum wage town. These numbers are dated but I remember reading that the average salary in Tucson was $28,000/yr while the average wage in the East Valley was over $45,000. People in Tucson just don't have the disposable income to drop on a football game. There are a whole host of reasons for the low wages in Tucson (over-regulation, over taxation, open hostility to business) and until they are dealt with (change in politics) many folks will never have the extra cash for football tickets.

That had me laughing out loud. Thanks for that.

That being said, I do think dmjcat makes a valid point. For the longest time walkup ticket sales were a big deal for Arizona football. The UA AD staff could count on a walk-up crowd for every home game - the bigger the game the bigger the walk-up crowd. Those days are gone. I think that has everything to do with disposable income.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

dc4azcats wrote:I do think dmjcat makes a valid point.
Who are you and what have you done with our ol' dc4? ;)

What I'm seeing is that I just don't know how much more the AD can do. This is a good team, they've worked to make prices affordable, they've worked on the game day experience, they've worked to stay in front of the community as much as possible, etc. (They can't drop football prices too much because you've gotta support the rest of the department, although we're fortunate to have a hoops team that carries as much financial weight as it does as well.) There's minor nitpicks here and there and they tend to do what they can to address them. Some people complain about "gimmicks" such as whiteouts etc, but I don't get that; first they complain that the opponent isn't much of a draw and then they complain that the department is doing something to try to get some more interest. I'm just hoping the program is successful, RR stays (hard to ask for a better face for the program) a while, and people start showing up no matter the opponent.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

azpenguin wrote:
dc4azcats wrote:I do think dmjcat makes a valid point.
Who are you and what have you done with our ol' dc4? ;)

What I'm seeing is that I just don't know how much more the AD can do. This is a good team, they've worked to make prices affordable, they've worked on the game day experience, they've worked to stay in front of the community as much as possible, etc. (They can't drop football prices too much because you've gotta support the rest of the department, although we're fortunate to have a hoops team that carries as much financial weight as it does as well.) There's minor nitpicks here and there and they tend to do what they can to address them. Some people complain about "gimmicks" such as whiteouts etc, but I don't get that; first they complain that the opponent isn't much of a draw and then they complain that the department is doing something to try to get some more interest. I'm just hoping the program is successful, RR stays (hard to ask for a better face for the program) a while, and people start showing up no matter the opponent.
You're right and I can tell you that GB and the AD have racked their brains trying to figure out why more fans aren't coming out. They understand that the current state of affairs regarding not just the local economy but the state and national as well play a very big roll. They've had focus group after focus group to try and figure it out and it's a combination of everything you hear on this board and then some.

But, we live in a metro area that has over a million people and we can't get 45k non students to come to 6 to 7 games a year? Forget how many people are in Phx that are UA fans, there's enough in the metro Tucson area where we really shouldn't have difficulty selling out each and every football game. Fan apathy like what is on this board is certainly a part of it as that fan will find any number of excuses to not attend a game. From they don't like our OOC games, to the games are to late, to I can watch it on TV and on and on.

As I said in a previous post, I've never come close to the feeling I get watching a game live and in person then I do watching from my couch. It's not even close.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

dc4azcats wrote:I can tell you that GB and the AD have racked their brains trying to figure out why more fans aren't coming out.
Yeah, they've clearly been doing everything they can. I don't buy the "competing with basketball" excuse either. There's a small amount of tickets left for a few of the non-conference games, so it's not like thousands and thousands of sports fans are sitting on their wallets to get those. The game days on the schedule don't conflict at all. The first few games are cupcake games. I don't exactly think people in this town have the game against UC-Irvine circled on their calendar.

The state of the football program is unlike anything we've seen before. A lot of people who know a lot more than I do agree with that thought. It's a shame so many people are missing it.
Salty

Post by Salty »

asu had huge pockets of empty seats against ND.

This is just how college football is now. It's not Arizona, it's the sport in general.
Scummy Dick Douglas

Post by Scummy Dick Douglas »

Salty wrote:asu had huge pockets of empty seats against ND.

This is just how college football is now. It's not Arizona, it's the sport in general.
and its the Pac 12 in particular. Fanaticism is not quite the norm in this part of the country.
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

Scummy Dick Douglas wrote:

and its the Pac 12 in particular. Fanaticism is not quite the norm in this part of the country.
Oregon seems pretty packed. If RR keeps going the way he is, I truly believe packed stadiums will follow. Patience.

Go Cats!!
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Imagine how bad it would have looked had they not cut 10k seats from their stadium.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Yep, both Cal and Stanford made smaller stadiums when they replaced their obsolete big ones.
gumby

Post by gumby »

The Southeast is a minimum wage region.

Exactly.
Last edited by gumby on Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gumby

Post by gumby »

ANGCatFan wrote:Looks like the ice cream truck was not the only new thing after Thursday's practice. Coach Rod also changed up the training table according to College Spun.
Arizona’s football players ate very, very well this afternoon.

Following the Wildcats’ practice, Rich Rodriguez treated his team to a host of tasty treats. The coach brought an ice cream truck to the field and had a buffet of Pizza Hut, Chick-fil-A, Famous Dave’s barbecue and more waiting for the team once they got inside their facility.

It’s gotta be good to be a Wildcat.
Like the juxtaposition of Hard Edge with the bountiful buffet.
Scummy Dick Douglas

UAdevil wrote:

Imagine how bad it would have looked had they not cut 10k seats from their stadium.
If they were smart they would cut capacity to 55k. Outside of SC, no team in the Pac should have more than 55k capacity. (Isnt Oregon like 53k?)
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UAdevil wrote:

If they were smart they would cut capacity to 55k. Outside of SC, no team in the Pac should have more than 55k capacity. (Isnt Oregon like 53k?)
http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/c ... /13084089/

Seating capacity of Pac-12 stadiums

•USC's Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum: 93,607
•UCLA's Rose Bowl: 91,136
•Washington's Husky Stadium: 70,138
•ASU's Sun Devil Stadium: 67,704 (after removal of sections in upper north end zone; previous capacity: 71,706)
•Cal's Memorial Stadium: 63,186
•Arizona's Arizona Stadium: 56,037
•Oregon's Autzen Stadium: 54,000
•Colorado's Folsom Field: 53,613
•Stanford's Stanford Stadium: 50,000
•Oregon State's Reser Stadium: 45,674
•Utah's Rice-Eccles Stadium: 45,017
•Washington State's Martin Stadium: 35,117
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I will say the NEZ is now pretty full every game and bustling with activity. Besides for reasons all ready mentioned it might be that the amenities at other areas of yhe stadium are not compelling to get people to the game.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

In reality there needs to be three tiers of stadium capacity in the Pac 12. Washington State, Oregon State, Utah and Colorado need to have 35 to 45 thousand seat stadiums. Arizona, Arizona State, Cal and Stanford need 50 to 55 thousand seat stadiums. USC, UCLA, Oregon and Washington need 65 to 70 thousand seat stadiums.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

azgreg wrote:
UAdevil wrote:

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/c ... /13084089/

Seating capacity of Pac-12 stadiums

•USC's Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum: 93,607
•UCLA's Rose Bowl: 91,136
Washington's Husky Stadium: 70,138
•ASU's Sun Devil Stadium: 67,704 (after removal of sections in upper north end zone; previous capacity: 71,706)
•Cal's Memorial Stadium: 63,186
•Arizona's Arizona Stadium: 56,037
•Oregon's Autzen Stadium: 54,000
•Colorado's Folsom Field: 53,613
•Stanford's Stanford Stadium: 50,000
•Oregon State's Reser Stadium: 45,674
•Utah's Rice-Eccles Stadium: 45,017
•Washington State's Martin Stadium: 35,117
That is surprising. Never would have guessed Husky stadium was that big.

Go Cats!!
Scummy Dick Douglas

ASUHATER! wrote:In reality there needs to be three tiers of stadium capacity in the Pac 12. Washington State, Oregon State, Utah and Colorado need to have 35 to 45 thousand seat stadiums. Arizona, Arizona State, Cal and Stanford need 50 to 55 thousand seat stadiums. USC, UCLA, Oregon and Washington need 65 to 70 thousand seat stadiums.
I disagree. Oregon has a perfect set up for them, why expand on it. Its not like they have a large market nearby to draw more fans from. Most people attending a UO game are coming from out of town as is, no reason to change a good setup. UW hasnt been filling its stadium up, UCLA almost never fills the rose bowl, and though SC has the largest attendance every year, I could see them having trouble filling up the coliseum.

To be fair, I am a proponent of the smaller, intimate game day experiences. I am thoroughly impressed by the game day atmosphere at UO games given the smaller size of the stadium.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Smaller stadiums also increase demand that also drives up ticket prices and profitability. We have the lowest ticket prices in the conference at this time and Oregon has the most expensive