Fiesta Bowl Discussion Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ANGCatFan

Re: Fiesta Bowl Discussion Thread

Post by ANGCatFan »

SB Nation with Arizona wearing red jerseys, blue helmets vs. Boise State. Pants are still to be decided.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Press conference story of the Boise St RB making his announcement.
Doubt that it effects that game at all, but I would not have been happy if Ka'Deem or Coach Rod had announced last year that the bowl game was about marketing Ka'Deem for the NFL.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Wonder how that worked for Andre Williams last year? Once again, the NFL scouts will see a better performance from our RB than theirs, only this time they can't have him for two more years!
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

ESPN Blog Q and Q with Jared "Tucson Good" Tevis
What’s the pulse of the team coming off the loss in the Pac-12 championship game?

Jared Tevis: We’re refocusing and just trying to take advantage of this big opportunity we have and to show what we’re capable of on Dec. 31. We’ve switched gears. But at the same time, we know we have a lot of work to put in so we’re just focused on getting ready.

First thoughts on Boise State?

JT: They are a great team. I think they’ve gotten better throughout the season and we have to shut down their run game. They have a great back (Jay Ajayi, who declared Sunday for the NFL draft). It’s going to be a tough battle.

They say bowl games are all about motivation. What’s Arizona’s motivation?

JT: I think just to show how far we’ve come as a program, especially for these seniors. We want to go out on the right note and show that a legacy is beginning here at Arizona.

You’re a three-time All-Academic. How have you been able to balance all of that along with football?

JT: You said it right there. It’s all about balance. As a student-athlete, it’s tough. Especially at this level. But you have to make everything important to you. Every assignment, every test. You can’t slip up on anything. Just keep grinding away.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

new year's eve is taking forever to get here.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Only UofA sports between now and the new year. That seems odd in itself
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

Really bummed about this being on New Year's eve. I have a ton of work that has to be finished before the first of the year. I am not even sure I will be able to watch let alone go. I had thought all along this would be a New Year's Day bowl, but I guess it got bumped for the playoff games.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

splitsecond wrote:Really bummed about this being on New Year's eve. I have a ton of work that has to be finished before the first of the year. I am not even sure I will be able to watch let alone go. I had thought all along this would be a New Year's Day bowl, but I guess it got bumped for the playoff games.
Yep, the Peach and Orange are also on New Years eve. However, the Cotton is on New Years day.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

splitsecond wrote:Really bummed about this being on New Year's eve. I have a ton of work that has to be finished before the first of the year. I am not even sure I will be able to watch let alone go. I had thought all along this would be a New Year's Day bowl, but I guess it got bumped for the playoff games.
Same. If it was the next day I would 100% be going. Now, I will probably miss watching the first half
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Saturday's practice.

ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Clips of Coach Dews speaking at the FCA breakfast and then an interview with Anu and Casey.

ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Disambiguator

Post by Disambiguator »

Does anyone happen to know whether practices at SCC are closed or open? I think there is a media event tomorrow as well. I live nearby and will likely haul my family over there if we can catch a practice.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

The practical reason Casteel became an expert in the 3-3-5 thanks to FSA.
-- Casteel on why West Virginia decided to look into a new defensive scheme: "Our head coach (Rich Rodriguez). Head coach says, 'I'd like to play that.' I never heard of it. I figured, if I want to continue to coach, I better listen to the head coach and go learn it."
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

ANGCatFan wrote:The practical reason Casteel became an expert in the 3-3-5 thanks to FSA.
-- Casteel on why West Virginia decided to look into a new defensive scheme: "Our head coach (Rich Rodriguez). Head coach says, 'I'd like to play that.' I never heard of it. I figured, if I want to continue to coach, I better listen to the head coach and go learn it."

And the funny add on to that story is Brittney Graham was the co defensive coordinator and also went on the road ro learn it with Castee l
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
SCCat

Post by SCCat »

Gilbertcat wrote:The roof hasn't ever been opened for a Fiesta Bowl. If it was though, the sun would directly be on Az's side. Having been to a Card's game in late December when it was opened, I am not a fan. You have shaded areas that makes it hard to see the field and if in the upper areas, the sun would be in your eyes for the first half.

http://archive.azcentral.com/community/ ... eover.html
Can anyone who knows a bit about this give me some information on it; if they're talking about the home side potentially getting sun, would that be the section 105-112 side generally?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

SCCat wrote:
Gilbertcat wrote:The roof hasn't ever been opened for a Fiesta Bowl. If it was though, the sun would directly be on Az's side. Having been to a Card's game in late December when it was opened, I am not a fan. You have shaded areas that makes it hard to see the field and if in the upper areas, the sun would be in your eyes for the first half.

Can anyone who knows a bit about this give me some information on it; if they're talking about the home side potentially getting sun, would that be the section 105-112 side generally?
It's supposed to rain Wed. so I seriously doubt the roof will be open.
-JB
SCCat

Post by SCCat »

UAEebs86 wrote:
SCCat wrote:

Ok. But if it was open and it was sunny at that time of day, where would I want to avoid sun wise?
Machina

Post by Machina »

SCCat wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:
SCCat wrote:

Ok. But if it was open and it was sunny at that time of day, where would I want to avoid sun wise?
Sun will be in the western sky, so you will want to avoid seats on the east side of the stadium if you are scared about the sun.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

SCCat wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:
SCCat wrote:

It will be cloudy so you'll be fine! :)

We'll have to have one of the Cards season ticket holders weigh in I guess.
-JB
VegasCatFan

Post by VegasCatFan »

Is it temperature controlled? Or if it's cold outside it's going to be cold inside too.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

supposed to be about 50 degrees and pouring rain in Glendale during the game on Wednesday. Good thing there aren't a bunch of Midwest folks coming for the game to get upset!
illcat

Post by illcat »

SCCat wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:
SCCat wrote:

Leave Arizona............. :lol:
I mean I am not complaining but it must suck for good ugly girls.
--Officer Craig

You'll forgive DW99, he's used to the methed-out slores in Tempe ...
--Reydituto
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

"It's a trap!", says ESPN, they are just not sure who is walking into the trap.
But what about a hangover?

“Hell, that’s a month ago,” [Coach Rod] said. “If there’s a hangover, it must have been a pretty hard night. Well, it was a hard night for us. But if we have to get motivated for any bowl, any game, let alone a Big Six Bowl game, we’ve got the wrong guys. This is a great game and a great opportunity and a great venue that’s going to have a bunch of Arizona fans. It’s a great situation for us and a great opportunity.”
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

http://www.azcardinals.com/stadium/sun-studies.html

Those videos are pretty accurate for that time of day in regards to the sun's location
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Athlon Sports with a game preview.
Three Things to Watch

1. What does Anu Solomon look like?

2. Scooby Wright III vs. Jay Ajayi

Few bowl games will offer an individual matchup like the one the Fiesta Bowl affords when Boise State is on the field. National defensive superstar Scooby Wright III is charged with stopping one of the most productive backs in the nation in Jay Ajayi. The BSU tailback finished ninth in the nation at 129.9 yards per game and was second with 25 touchdowns. During Boise's eight-game winning streak, Ajayi topped 100 yards seven times and scored multiple touchdowns seven times. Both are overachievers who have gotten the most of their ability and the head-to-head battle should be fun to watch.

3. Can Arizona run the ball?

Boise State was strong against the run this fall, holding opponents to less than 100 yards on the ground seven times. Over the last three games, the Broncos allowed 259 yards on 109 carries for just 2.4 yards per carry. The best way Rodriguez can help his young quarterback is to run the football. But in losses, the Cats have been stymied on the ground. USC (77 yards allowed), UCLA (80) and Oregon (111) were all able to stop the Arizona rushing attack and it led to the Cats only three defeats of the year. If Boise State wins the battle up front on defense, it will fall to the freshman Solomon to make plays.

Final Analysis

These two teams have lost a total of five times this year and those defeats featured three of Arizona's worst four rushing performances and two of Boise State's three worst rushing performances of the season. This isn't a vintage Broncos team in terms of talent, giving Arizona a slight edge in personnel — and fan support.

Prediction: Arizona 35, Boise State 27
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Boese State coach full final interview.

Jeff Worthy interviewed by the Boise press.

ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Coach Rod's final interview (excerpts from official site).

Carter Wood joins the media and interviews his teammates.

The starters at media day.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Jay Ajayi (Boise's star RB) talks to the media.

Arizona Daily Star video preview.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Good WSR story by Steve Buchanan on why Boise St has been such a good program.
How good is Boise State Football? Try this: since 1999, it has the highest percentage of wins (85%) of any FBS (formerly Division-1) program. The Broncos have won 204 games, while losing only 31 games in 16 seasons.

How good? 2013 was the worst season for the Broncos during that time period, and they were 8-5.

How good? Since 1999, the Broncos have missed going to a post-season bowl only once. The season was 2001 when they finished with a record of 8-4.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Jason Bartel with the final 3 keys of the season. It has been a fun, innovative way to look at each game.
For our Boise band, it's going to be Built to Spill. Formed in 1992, the Boise rockers have put out nine albums, so there's plenty of material to use for our three keys.

Without further ado, this is the source for the reasons why Arizona will bring the Fiesta Bowl trophy back to Tucson.

1. Center Of The Universe

Arizona will be without starting center Steven Gurrola for the first half after being ejected against Oregon. That means Carter Wood will be getting the ball to Anu Solomon for the first 30 minutes. Last time we saw Carter Wood, he was throwing up on the football. Hopefully that's not the case this time as Arizona will need to get out to a decent start to have a chance in this game. It'll also be interesting to see if the running game can establish itself with the smaller, less-experienced Wood at center.

2. Terrible / Perfect

In Boise State's two losses, quarterback Grant Hedrick has thrown four interceptions in each of those games. In the other 11 games this season, he has thrown a total of five picks. If Arizona is able to disrupt him in the ways that Air Force and Ole Miss were able to this season, that will be huge. Since it's Tra'Mayne Bondurant's final game in an Arizona uniform, I almost expect him to get a pick-six in this game, or at least an interception and a forced fumble.

3. Car

Jay Ajayi is basically a car coming through the line out of the backfield. Stopping that car has to be priority number one for Jeff Casteel and the Arizona defense. If the likes of Scooby Wright III, Dan Pettinato, and Reggie Gilbert can get some stops on Ajayi to force Boise to pass, the likelihood of an Arizona win goes way up.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Gilbertcat wrote:http://www.azcardinals.com/stadium/sun-studies.html

Those videos are pretty accurate for that time of day in regards to the sun's location
Looks like those who bought tix from AZAthletics will have no problem with the sun if was going to be sunny...since it will be cold, cloudy, and rainy with the roof closed, this is a non-issue.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

FWIW the roof will be closed on the stadium Wednesday.

Gimino, Tucson's best sports writer, on the progress of Arizona's 2010 recruiting class.
The Arizona Wildcats' 2010 recruiting class didn't look like much on paper.

Scout.com ranked the group 43rd in the nation and ninth in the Pac-10 (ahead of only Oregon State) and even put the Wildcats below future conference member Utah.

Mike Stoops' efforts at Arizona had begun to ebb, even after two consecutive bowl seasons, and the talent gap between his teams and those at the top of the conference would eventually lead to his firing halfway through a 2011 season that ended with a 4-8 record.

And yet that 2010 class, misjudged and now all grown up, keeps on giving.

The Senior Seven of offensive tackles Mickey Baucus (51 career starts) and Fabbians Ebbele (50), safeties Jourdon Grandon (39) and Jared Tevis (36), cornerback Jonathan McKnight (35), defensive lineman Dan Pettinato (26) and receiver Austin Hill (26) have combined for 262 career starts -- and that doesn't even count multi-year starter Chase Gorham, a long-snapper.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ANGCatFan wrote:Good WSR story by Steve Buchanan on why Boise St has been such a good program.
How good is Boise State Football? Try this: since 1999, it has the highest percentage of wins (85%) of any FBS (formerly Division-1) program. The Broncos have won 204 games, while losing only 31 games in 16 seasons.

How good? 2013 was the worst season for the Broncos during that time period, and they were 8-5.

How good? Since 1999, the Broncos have missed going to a post-season bowl only once. The season was 2001 when they finished with a record of 8-4.
I like Boise St, but would they have anywhere near those numbers if they were in a P5 conference? Utah says hi.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Boise wouldn't be terrible but they would be averaging about 8 wins instead of 11-12 if they had been in a power conference
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

SB Nation talks to their Boise State beat writer about the game.
3. What is the greatest strength of Kamalei Correa's game on the defensive line?

It is surprising that a defensive lineman who is just 247 pounds was able to break the line of scrimmage and end up leading the Mountain West with 10 sacks. He has just found a way to split the offensive line with his size, or lack there of, and speed. His greatest strength is how he is able to break through the line and that goes back with his speed.

4. Is there one guy that maybe hasn't lit up the box scores that Arizona fans should be aware of as a potential breakout player?

Freshman running back Jeremy McNichols is that guy. He is a versatile player who will line up at wide receiver or as a second running back. He came on late midway through the season to help with wide receiver depth due to injuries. He might get only four to 10 touches per game but he makes those count by averaging just over 10 yards per carry, and has seven of his 30 touches have been for 15 or more yards.

Also, anyone who has a position named after as "The Weapon" has a chance to have an impact.
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

azgreg wrote:
ANGCatFan wrote:Good WSR story by Steve Buchanan on why Boise St has been such a good program.

I like Boise St, but would they have anywhere near those numbers if they were in a P5 conference? Utah says hi.
Irrelevant. Whether BSU, App State or North Dakota State, these schools dominate those with similar resources. That is why they're impressive.

No school could jump from Div-II to a Power-5 in a span of twenty years and win 85% of their games once in that P5 conference. What they CAN do is dominate a lesser BCS conference the way 99% of the schools on their level want to do but can't.

i think that's why everyone (who hasn't lost to them in a bowl game) likes Boise State.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

I had thought this game was on network t.v. (regular, OTA network, not cable), and tonight I saw it's on espn.....d'oh....and damn.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

PieceOfMeat wrote:I had thought this game was on network t.v. (regular, OTA network, not cable), and tonight I saw it's on espn.....d'oh....and damn.
All new year's 6 bowls are on the Espn. They paid a ton to be so.
UAEebs86

Arizona's 2010 recruiting class: From 43rd to Fiesta

Post by UAEebs86 »

http://www.foxsports.com/arizona/story/ ... sta-122914

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. -- The Arizona Wildcats' 2010 recruiting class didn't look like much on paper.

Scout.com ranked the group 43rd in the nation and ninth in the Pac-10 (ahead of only Oregon State) and even put the Wildcats below future conference member Utah.
Mike Stoops' efforts at Arizona had begun to ebb, even after two consecutive bowl seasons, and the talent gap between his teams and those at the top of the conference would eventually lead to his firing halfway through a 2011 season that ended with a 4-8 record.

And yet that 2010 class, misjudged and now all grown up, keeps on giving.

While Rich Rodriguez has replenished the younger classes -- All-American sophomore linebacker Scooby Wright, redshirt freshman quarterback Anu Solomon, sophomore receiver Cayleb Jones, freshman running back Nick Wilson -- the backbone of this season's breakthrough team has come from its stalwart fifth-year seniors.

The Senior Seven of offensive tackles Mickey Baucus (51 career starts) and Fabbians Ebbele (50), safeties Jourdon Grandon (39) and Jared Tevis (36), cornerback Jonathan McKnight (35), defensive lineman Dan Pettinato (26) and receiver Austin Hill (26) have combined for 262 career starts -- and that doesn't even count multi-year starter Chase Gorham, a long-snapper.

"I can remember back like it was yesterday," said fifth-year senior running back Terris Jones-Grigsby, who, like Tevis, joined the team as a walk-on. "It was our first 6 a.m. workout as freshmen and now we're waking up at 9:15 for breakfast at the Fiesta Bowl."

Cornerback Shaquille Richardson, who was a summer addition to the 2010 class after being dismissed from UCLA, never redshirted and was a fifth-round pick in the 2014 NFL Draft. Safety/linebacker Marquis Flowers also never redshirted; he was a sixth-round pick last season.
-JB
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Boise State Fiesta Bowl podcast from SB Nation. Always interesting to see how our opponents see us.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Text from my kid this morning:

"Boise airport is a toxic sea of blue and orange. sooo wishing I had some sort of Arizona gear on."
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Not sure if you all heard about this. I heard he was wearing Raiders gear - WTF?
-JB
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Javier Morales and his 5 storylines. Below are just the lead paragraphs, so go read his site. We need to support local, independent sports writers!
1. Precursor to bigger games for Arizona?

The only previous time Arizona has faced a conference champion in a bowl game was back in 1921, when the Wildcats lost to power Centre (Ky.) in the San Diego East-West Christmas Classic. Centre (10-1) was the champion of the Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Association and victors over Harvard, which was the equivalent of Alabama today.

2. Three different QBs, three straight bowl appearances.

That has never been accomplished in Arizona history. The Wildcats have advanced to bowl games in three consecutive years before, from 2008 to 2010, behind Willie Tuitama (in the 2008 Las Vegas Bowl) and Nick Foles (the 2009 Holiday Bowl and 2010 Alamo Bowl).

3. Roh, Roh, Roh your boat …

Boise State tight end Jake Roh had all the makings of a future Arizona player coming from Scottsdale Chaparral, which has produced more than a handful of talent for the Wildcat program in recent years.

Arizona was reportedly the first school to offer Roh a scholarship. The Wildcats wanted him to play defense, like his older brother Craig Roh did at the University of Michigan. However, Jake wanted to attend college out of the state. He went with Boise State. Most of Roh’s family is still in Scottsdale and they are expected to cheer on Boise State tomorrow.

4. Roof, or no roof, Fiesta Bowl will go on.

Somebody tweeted to Byrne this week if umbrellas will be allowed into University of Phoenix Stadium if it rains.

“Nope, dome will be closed if it rains,” Byrne responded.

5. Boise State a future Pac-14 opponent?

Boise State and San Diego State are two schools that are mentioned most as possible expansion institutions for the Pac-12. The two programs are in the Mountain West. They almost went to the Big East a couple of years ago.

The problem with adding the Broncos to the conference is Boise’s TV market. In a 2012 Nielsen market rating, Boise was ranked No. 113. From a competitive standpoint, Boise State would be a tremendous addition in football. Other than that, Scott might believe adding the Broncos is not worth the attempt.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

UAEebs86 wrote:Not sure if you all heard about this. I heard he was wearing Raiders gear - WTF?
:lol: :lol:
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Boise State and San Diego State are two schools that are mentioned most as possible expansion institutions for the Pac-12.

PAC presidents will never allow non-academic schools into the PAC.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »