Fired Casteel

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

cordera89

Re: Fire Casteel

Post by cordera89 »

UAEebs86 wrote:Va Tech keeping Foster as DC would probably be a great fit. Doubt RR would dump Casteel though.
Or VA tech promote Bud Foster to Head Coach or He retire with Frank Beamer.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Harvey Specter wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:Regardless, at least he will get to keep a portion of his retention bonus - even if he leaves. Never understood why that was accelerated, and damn sure do not agree with it. Same goes for Miller's.
He gets 25% if he is still employed by the school as head coach on March 15th, 2016. By then the coaching carousel will have stopped turning - no school is going to wait 3-4 months to hire a coach because by then you're past signing day and near the end of spring camp, so you're losing a season. He can collect another 25% in 2018. This change was a smart move because it's an immediate incentive. If he goes to another school after this year he'll be forfeiting the entire package. If he goes next year he'll get 25% and that's it. He would be paying a buyout to the school ($500k, and interestingly enough $1 million if the new job is WVU) and then would be looking at leaving another million on the table in three months.

This is not going to be a good season to be looking for a head coach if he were to leave. There are 10 FBS jobs open as of this writing and there will be several more. It's going to be a seller's market. A lot of people are high on Matt Wells, but if you want him, you're going to be up against a bunch of other schools to get him. Arizona is not likely to enter into a bidding war for anyone. RichRod staying is the best case scenario for many reasons but that's a really big one.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

dmjcat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:Scheer said it and there are plenty of other schools that will take RR even if the Cats go 5 and 7.
And exactly where would Scheer have access to that information ?

From RRod perhaps?? :lol: :lol:

I doubt very many AD's are communicating with Mr. Scheer.

I suspect even fewer AD's are actively seeking coaches with losing records for their next hire.
Don't you think that members of the Scout team talk to people at Miami VT Maryland Minnesota etc.?
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Really Doubt Scheer knows. We may know more than he does. He follows twitter like the rest of us in this category

Would be a risk for an AD to hire Rich Rod. More so for a SEC, Pac12, definitely B1G school. Maybe some schools trying to climb the ladder in Big12. Think most of the ACC would be willing to hire Rich Rod. Maybe not FSU.

But powerful booster in play with Head coaching changes lots of times. Rich Rod has lots of friends and lots of those friends powerful boosters (Ken Kendricks one of many examples).

Much of the Risk with Rich Rod is his defense. It takes lots of slack. Has everywhere he's been. Including WV. It has developed into a stigma.

But schools looking to be relevant or climb a conference ladder with a program that has been down for so long willing to take that risk.

With Rich Rod you get a genuine guy who's easy to like. He's connects with fans, shares stories, promotes family atmosphere, includes his family with his job and for the most part, his offenses are fun and exciting.

And the media loves Rich Rod. He gives great soundbites, he gets them clicks, not afraid to speak his mind or be controversial. Rich Rod OK making fun of himself. Rich Rod draws attention because fans either Love or Hate the guy. Rich Rod is a highly recognizable national brand name.

But he draws attention, Media helps him and that attention draws attention onto the program he's at. Helps mitigate the Risk portion if only for awhile or for a long time.

But not all schools can take on that risk. But ladder climbers and ACC could imo.

ACC needs help. That conference falling behind the others. Not only financially, but with perception. They have growing perception problem. Even ESPN wants to delay helping them with a conference Network. They need attention.

I personally think the ACC is a step back for Rich Rod. But only speaking from a competitive standpoint. Unless Playoff Committee expands playoff it will be harder for ACC than other conferences to win the big prizes. But maybe that's not a priority for Rich Rod. Maybe being one of a couple tops dogs in a conference good enough. I Don't know.

So this will be interesting. There are lots of openings. With all those openings, those schools will be jockeying for position to get top of available list of Head Coaches. They will want to move faster to be 1st in line. Head Coach Draft Order.

Interesting for me to watch Rich Rod's demeanor over next couple of weeks. Because honestly, If Rich Rod planning on leaving, it's beneficial for him and his family to NOT make a bowl game this season with the timing and couple of schools I think he may have any interest in. If any at all.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:Interesting for me to watch Rich Rod's demeanor over next couple of weeks. Because honestly, If Rich Rod planning on leaving, it's beneficial for him and his family to NOT make a bowl game this season with the timing and couple of schools I think he may have any interest in. If any at all.
RichRod is not going to take his eyes off the ball and if the team makes a bowl game, he'll still be able to take another job. In 2007 he left after the season and before a BCS bowl. Other posters have implied that RR has already started mailing it in and gotten ready to take another job that may even already have a "gentleman's agreement" in place. This sounds like the WV fans saying that RR tanked the Pitt game in 2007 so he could take the UM job, or that UM had him distracted. Uh, no. That game was for a national title spot for WV. No coach is going to half-ass that kind of opportunity. You win that and you have your pick of any job out there plus a crystal football on the mantle. While he's going to be one of the hot names out there, no job opportunity is guaranteed and it doesn't benefit him to coast through the rest of the season at all. There's still a good chance that he'll be here next year.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

azpenguin wrote:
RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:Interesting for me to watch Rich Rod's demeanor over next couple of weeks. Because honestly, If Rich Rod planning on leaving, it's beneficial for him and his family to NOT make a bowl game this season with the timing and couple of schools I think he may have any interest in. If any at all.
RichRod is not going to take his eyes off the ball and if the team makes a bowl game, he'll still be able to take another job. In 2007 he left after the season and before a BCS bowl. Other posters have implied that RR has already started mailing it in and gotten ready to take another job that may even already have a "gentleman's agreement" in place. This sounds like the WV fans saying that RR tanked the Pitt game in 2007 so he could take the UM job, or that UM had him distracted. Uh, no. That game was for a national title spot for WV. No coach is going to half-ass that kind of opportunity. You win that and you have your pick of any job out there plus a crystal football on the mantle. While he's going to be one of the hot names out there, no job opportunity is guaranteed and it doesn't benefit him to coast through the rest of the season at all. There's still a good chance that he'll be here next year.
I'm Saying he would leave before a Bowl if AZ made one IF RR wanted to take another job. I'm saying fans would be less angry with RR if no bowl game made because season would be over. RR (his family) would not have to leave his players, assistants to another program while his old AZ team went to a Bowl game.

I'm Not saying mail it in. But he's human. These rumors are all distractions for him. Already knowing he's taking another job prior to being announced is also a distraction. Changes a Human's behavior no matter how hard you try to hide it. Not faulting him for that either IF it ever panned out. Really think he loves his players and coaches. That a tough spot to navigate through.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:Really Doubt Scheer knows. We may know more than he does. He follows twitter like the rest of us in this category
I have no idea what he knows, but I do know that any coaching rumors or coaching search is amazing for business for him, so it benefits him greatly to push the agenda that RR could leave.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

ChooChooCat wrote:
RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:Really Doubt Scheer knows. We may know more than he does. He follows twitter like the rest of us in this category
I have no idea what he knows, but I do know that any coaching rumors or coaching search is amazing for business for him, so it benefits him greatly to push the agenda that RR could leave.
Agree 100%
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Agree 100%
If RR was not rumored for many jobs in the national media this year and last year you may have a point. I am sure he is trying to drum up business and not have journalistic integrity.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PHXCATS wrote:
RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Agree 100%
If RR was not rumored for many jobs in the national media this year and last year you may have a point. I am sure he is trying to drum up business and not have journalistic integrity.
He can drum up business by pushing the thought that RR could go no matter how realistic it is and have journalistic integrity by reporting who could seriously consider RR all in the same breath ya know.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

PHXCATS wrote:
RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Agree 100%
He is not a journalist; he is a fan who runs a fansite. Journalists do not poke fun at HS seniors because they decide to stay and play for the hometown school.

I don't think he makes stuff up... Just that he is a fan who speculates with a platform of publicity - and slightly better connections. But "an NCAA insider" he is not.

And his opinions will always err on the side of the coaches at the school he covers; he needs to maintain as much access as he can.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Hope RR never leaves. Im wondering though if the players have heard something and this part of the reason they're playing like this. It sure would be good to hear RR say again what he said the day he was hired - that Arizona is his last stop, if we'll have him till he retires.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

carcassdragger wrote:Hope RR never leaves. Im wondering though if the players have heard something and this part of the reason they're playing like this. It sure would be good to hear RR say again what he said the day he was hired - that Arizona is his last stop, if we'll have him till he retires.
Doubt they've heard anything - the chances something like that leaked out far enough where the players would get legit info on it are extremely slim. (Think of the future consequences for anyone truly in the know who would leak something like that on an active head coach. No one would deal with them again.) These guys wanna play and some of them have NFL hopes.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

It would benefit Scheer and others who get paid to share ideas that RR rides off into the sunset. No one buys the bs anymore.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

azpenguin wrote:
carcassdragger wrote:Hope RR never leaves. Im wondering though if the players have heard something and this part of the reason they're playing like this. It sure would be good to hear RR say again what he said the day he was hired - that Arizona is his last stop, if we'll have him till he retires.
Doubt they've heard anything - the chances something like that leaked out far enough where the players would get legit info on it are extremely slim. (Think of the future consequences for anyone truly in the know who would leak something like that on an active head coach. No one would deal with them again.) These guys wanna play and some of them have NFL hopes.
RR has not squashed any rumors during interviews about next year. Of course the players know, it has been reported locally and nationally that RR will be on several schools list. They know.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

It kind of true because he haven't shot down any of rumor of him being consider HC vacancy like most coaches have done to shut it up.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

PHXCATS wrote:
azpenguin wrote:
RR has not squashed any rumors during interviews about next year. Of course the players know, it has been reported locally and nationally that RR will be on several schools list. They know.
So do you really believe that lack of fan support will have been the straw that broke the camel's back if he is leaving?

He just better not head someplace where the fans are as passionate as they are in Ann Arbor.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

cordera89 wrote:It kind of true because he haven't shot down any of rumor of him being consider HC vacancy like most coaches have done to shut it up.
When has the question been asked? Unless it has and I just have not seen it... Then I feel better that he has not commented on it.

Usually an unsolicited answer to a question that has not been asked is provided with an agenda and ends up being a lie.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Harvey Specter wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
azpenguin wrote:
So do you really believe that lack of fan support will have been the straw that broke the camel's back if he is leaving?

He just better not head someplace where the fans are as passionate as they are in Ann Arbor.
Not sure if it will be THE straw but absolutely belive it will be a factor in him leaving if he does go to another school soon
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Harvey Specter wrote:
cordera89 wrote:It kind of true because he haven't shot down any of rumor of him being consider HC vacancy like most coaches have done to shut it up.
When has the question been asked? Unless it has and I just have not seen it... Then I feel better that he has not commented on it.

Usually an unsolicited answer to a question that has not been asked is provided with an agenda and ends up being a lie.
Arizona Sports with that awful Doug and Wolf last Monday for one.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

PHXCATS wrote:
dmjcat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:Scheer said it and there are plenty of other schools that will take RR even if the Cats go 5 and 7.

I suspect even fewer AD's are actively seeking coaches with losing records for their next hire.
Don't you think that members of the Scout team talk to people at Miami VT Maryland Minnesota etc.?
Do you actually believe that AD's run around telling Scout operators who they are considering for head coaching positions???

Do you understand the meaning of the word "Delusional"?? :lol: :lol: :lol:
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

dmjcat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
dmjcat wrote:

Do you actually believe that AD's run around telling Scout operators who they are considering for head coaching positions???

Do you understand the meaning of the word "Delusional"?? :lol: :lol: :lol:
The AD no but there is a reason why those sites stay in business and know who the interviews are before they occur.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

phxcats has gone off a ledge
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Harvey Specter wrote:

Charlie Strong and James Franklin were mention about the rumor of their name going Miami and both of them shot it down hard and took their name out of that conversation. Now RR on the other hand wouldn't say a word or even try to take his name out that inner circle. Now I don't know if any of media have ask him about it.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Meanwhile, back to defense:

Pac-12 teams have been in the Red Zone 29 times against Arizona. Scored 26 TDs and three field goals.
Right where I want to be.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

gumby wrote:Meanwhile, back to defense:

Pac-12 teams have been in the Red Zone 29 times against Arizona. Scored 26 TDs and three field goals.
Is that good or bad? Apologists and those that don't believe statistics and those who never think people should be held accountable want to know.

Secondary question: Is that bad enough to fire your good friend?

Tertiary question: With things so bad, if you bring your friend back and things are generally about as bad next year, is your job as the leader and decision maker at that point in jeopardy?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Including non-conference games UA is 126th in Red Zone defense, out of 127 teams. Only Pitt is worse. Red Zone offense is pretty bad too.

http://stats.ncaa.org/team/index/12240?org_id=29.0" target="_blank

gumby

Post by gumby »

Merkin wrote:

Including non-conference games UA is 126th in Red Zone defense, out of 127 teams. Only Pitt is worse. Red Zone offense is pretty bad too.

Entire staff should be red-faced. Husky QB basically walked into the end zone on a goal-line keeper. Looked like a scrimmage where you're not allowed to touch QB.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Merkin wrote:Including non-conference games UA is 126th in Red Zone defense, out of 127 teams. Only Pitt is worse.
:lol:

126th out of 127 teams. /facepalm
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Must be comforting to other teams to know that all you have to do is get the ball down to around the 25 of Arizona and you're guaranteed a score.. Most likely a TD.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Merkin wrote:

So it could be worse.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
Merkin wrote:

So it could be worse.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

SCCats wrote:

Is that good or bad? Apologists and those that don't believe statistics and those who never think people should be held accountable want to know.

Secondary question: Is that bad enough to fire your good friend?

Tertiary question: With things so bad, if you bring your friend back and things are generally about as bad next year, is your job as the leader and decision maker at that point in jeopardy?
RR is the type of coach that wouldn't fired someone that is close as friend. Even if he care about having bad defense every single year. Some decision aren't going to be made.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Merkin wrote:

I wonder why RR and Casteel are not looking at those number of how bad the defense has been.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I am sure they are not.........wow if you think that
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

i'm telling you...the jethie...
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I don't think RR is a stats freak like Miller, but they are just as aware as we are.

RichRod: How do you explain this Jeff?
Casteel: Oh, just injuries, Rich. Bit again by them. Margarita?
RichRod: You bet, make it blended.
illcat

Post by illcat »

Rich Rod must owe Casteel something fierce.
I mean I am not complaining but it must suck for good ugly girls.
--Officer Craig

You'll forgive DW99, he's used to the methed-out slores in Tempe ...
--Reydituto
gumby

Post by gumby »

Hard Edge, Soft Heart
eoe

Post by eoe »

illcat wrote:Rich Rod must owe Casteel something fierce.
Is it leeway due to the million injuries we've had?

I'm confused as to why fans think 27 different starters on D would be more effective in a 4-3 defense.....
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

eoe wrote:

I'm confused as to why fans think 27 different starters on D would be more effective in a 4-3 defense.....
They wouldn't and you've killed this thread by saying as much. Nobody wants to take into account how much of an impact Scooby had on this D and this team. It was devastating and the stats bare that out but it's easier to say the system sucks and the coaches suck.
eoe

Post by eoe »

dc4azcats wrote:
eoe wrote:

They wouldn't and you've killed this thread by saying as much. Nobody wants to take into account how much of an impact Scooby had on this D and this team. It was devastating and the stats bare that out but it's easier to say the system sucks and the coaches suck.
Forget Scooby DC, how about having any other LBer starting consecutive games? Doesn't help that we have a group of below average DLineman and extremely green DBs

Worst defensive situation I can remember in very long
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

dc4azcats wrote:
eoe wrote:

The D was never very good, even when we were winning.

And if your system is so fragile that a single injury causes it to start averaging giving up 40+ points per contest (and really the clustering is in the 45-56 range), that system is too fragile to run and you need to move to something else.

Further the reality is, whatever rational you want to use, the responsibility and accountability for that goes back to the coaches. Injuries: where are your able backups? Recruiting: that's on you. And on. And on.

And when you have results as bad as these, review and changes from that review must occur. And if those changes don't occur, those further up the line who made the decision not to make changes are putting their jobs on the line.

It will be an interesting off season.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

eoe wrote:
dc4azcats wrote:
eoe wrote:

Forget Scooby DC, how about having any other LBer starting consecutive games? Doesn't help that we have a group of below average DLineman and extremely green DBs

Worst defensive situation I can remember in very long

All falls back to recruiting doesn't it? All 3 injured LBs were 2 stars. Scooby no doubt deserved all his awards, but it's just one (extremely underrated) player.

QB is (obviously) the most important player on a football team. Solomon goes out, and Randall steps in and the offense doesn't miss a beat, good or bad. Goes true for most positions. I think it was Hansen who said that Nick Wilson may be missed more than Scooby during the UDub game.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Merkin wrote:All falls back to recruiting doesn't it? All 3 injured LBs were 2 stars. Scooby no doubt deserved all his awards, but it's just one (extremely underrated) player.
Exactly. Other than Scooby, what we're talking about is replacing an average college line backer with a below average college line backer. Or we're talking about replacing an average college defensive back with a below average defensive back.

That's on the coaches. Other people have injuries and their defenses don't fall to triple digits, including 126th out of 127 in the red zone.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

SCCats wrote:
Merkin wrote:All falls back to recruiting doesn't it? All 3 injured LBs were 2 stars. Scooby no doubt deserved all his awards, but it's just one (extremely underrated) player.
Exactly. Other than Scooby, what we're talking about is replacing an average college line backer with a below average college line backer. Or we're talking about replacing an average college defensive back with a below average defensive back.

That's on the coaches. Other people have injuries and their defenses don't fall to triple digits, including 126th out of 127 in the red zone.
When you put it that way it's a little depressing.

My biggest question is on the huge and repeating mental errors. Letting a punt roll into the end zone as you back up into it yourself. Fair catching a kickoff on the 3. These are on the coaches.
gumby

Post by gumby »

dc4azcats wrote:
eoe wrote:

Not a good sign when one guy means that much.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Ippollitto and Turituri aren't world beaters, but they got the job done. I never thought Ippo would do anything here and even know he's kinda fat he was busting through the line last year a ton and causing havoc and TFL's. Turituri is 6'1 265 and it's legitimately all muscle. Those are three guys who together would have been real good.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

gumby wrote:
dc4azcats wrote:
eoe wrote:

Not a good sign when one guy means that much.
Well when you have the national defensive player of the year and predicate your defense to play around him and him be the focal point it's kind of hard to recover.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Some of you have real deep faith / hope. I guess I don't. I have blind spots with AZ, but I tend to lean on facts or trends...

I may need more faith. I just don't see anything concrete (trends, stats related to trends as a team, facts) that lead me to think or expect Turituri and Ippolito healthy this year would have made much a difference. Some difference, maybe. But enough to overcome total defense or scoring defense differentials (at being pretty bad).

Both played last year, think both may have had some starts. LY defense still finished toward the bottom of FBS. What's concrete that it would be any, much different TY if healthy? Another year? That's back to hope. Neither were highly recruited. Unless you're counting that scheme and Casteel would make them stars or really good players. So many are commenting negatively on scheme, Casteel and others on coaching that if Turituri and Ippolito played it would be much better defense TY that scheme, Casteel and others not an issue any longer.

Those two would have made it much different because they "would" be real good? Same goes for Deandre Miller and some others. I just don't see for myself that there aren't real depth issues here. Recruiting issues here. I just can't make the leap of faith that those aren't issues. Bigger than the injuries.

Personally, I think it's more recruiting related. Just poor recruiting on defensive side team wise. I lean towards even better recruiting with Casteel and sticking with 3-3-5that the defense would be much better. I also believe that's harder to recruit better recruits to a 3-3-5 so there's that. I also can't believe coaches philosophy is to build a defense around one, maybe two guys and take on the risk if they go down to injuries we should understand the entire defense would struggle or collapse. Maybe go from near bottom of FBS to just about bottom of FBS if that happened. Which it did.