93 Days Coach Marcel Yates

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ByJoveByJingle

Re: 93 Days Coach Marcel Yates

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

ASUHATER! wrote:
ByJoveByJingle wrote:While I agree we need to withhold judgment, if the D holds opponents to 14 points 5 or 6 more times this season, they’d be Desert Swarm level.
Not even close. That could still mean we have 6 games giving up 40+.
It’s a silly argument about things that haven’t happened. But in this day and age of high octane offenses, averaging under 20 points per game on defense is Desert Swarm level. So I would take your hypothetical 6 or 7 games of 14 points conceded. Even if they gave up 50 in the other 5 games.
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

ASUHATER! wrote:
ByJoveByJingle wrote:While I agree we need to withhold judgment, if the D holds opponents to 14 points 5 or 6 more times this season, they’d be Desert Swarm level.
Not even close. That could still mean we have 6 games giving up 40+.
I must agree this feels way off. The swarm gave up like 50yrds a game on the ground. Less than 10pts a game to lead Div1 in '92. They were punishing and feared, not bend but don't break. I'm happy with last week too, but let's not get ahead of ourselves..
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

DrWildcat wrote:Have to give the defense credit for a good game but Yates is still done in my opinion. His defense has been bad for 4 years, a few decent games changes nothing. Contract is up at the end of the year and I sure hope he isn't brought back.
I agree. I don't think he'll be here next year. I also don't think all the changes made on that defense last Saturday were Yate's idea. I think Sumlin is a gentleman and would never deliberately embarass or humiliate one of his assistant coaches but he also was figuring out he may be looking at another losing season because of rotten defense and that makes his job tenuous. I personally think he strongly suggested to Yates that he seek suggestions from people like Chuck Cecil and some other position coaches and strongly suggested he use them. It was done privately and quietly and he's letting Yates take the credit. Players also commented that the week of practice, there was a different intensity from the coaches and they grabbed hold of that as well. That's just my opinion.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/football/ ... u06bSJhM5s" target="_blank

Combined with the 14 points allowed last time out against Texas Tech, Arizona (3-1, 1-0 Pac-12) has given up just 31 points in its last two games. That’s the fewest the Wildcats have yielded in consecutive games since September 2013 when they gave up 26 to UTSA and UNLV.