BYU @ Arizona discussion thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

PHXCATS

Re: BYU @ Arizona discussion thread

Post by PHXCATS »

I will share the toast I just gave at Fuku per tradition

As we embark on a new season of our lives and Arizona Football we remain constant in our love and friendships and FUCK asu
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azgreg wrote:
Chicat wrote:How many dudes over 30 play for this Cougar team?
According to this piece from CBS they're not that old. Avg age 23.5 while ours is 23.3.

https://www.cbssports.com/collegefootba ... r-analysis" target="_blank
Doesn’t that number for us seem off?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Chicat wrote:
azgreg wrote:
According to this piece from CBS they're not that old. Avg age 23.5 while ours is 23.3.

definitely does. most kids are graduated by the time they are 23. why would our average team age be 23? it should be closer to 20-21
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Saw elsewhere that half the BYU team have already done their missions, which adds 2 year, so the average should be 1 year more than Arizona.
PHXCATS wrote:What do you want to bet on that BYU scores less than 24 points?
Pay up Machina, you need to post "Merkin, you were right".
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

scumdevils86 wrote:
Chicat wrote:
azgreg wrote:

definitely does. most kids are graduated by the time they are 23. why would our average team age be 23? it should be closer to 20-21
Age didn't lose us that game, the poorest play calling and use of players true skills I've ever seen did. Mazzone utterly failed as an OC last-night. There is a trend with this guy with other QB's and it looks like that trend will play out with Tate. What a shame.

Khalil won't be anywhere in the Heisman talk the rest of the year.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:
azgreg wrote:

Yeah the vast majority of our team is sophomores and juniors. We have a very small senior class.
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

Was at the game, and a few things really stood out:

1) Each and every one of Utah's offensive lineman outweighed our defensive line by 40 pounds a man. Seemed like every single first down BYU ran 5-6 yards first down and there was nothing we could do to stop it. By the third quarter, heard some fans around me starting to come to the realization it was men against boys last night.

2) Our lines on both sides of the ball are below average to poor right now. On that front, the cupboards were left pretty bare and we have alot of work to rebuild. The lines seem like a 1-2 year rebuild project. It's WAY too early to get down on our new coaching staff who took over a team that hasn't won a ton of games the past 3 years. With the start of a new season and being the ever eternal optimist UA fan, I was hoping Sumlin would somehow pull a rabbit out of the hat with schemes and play well above our talent level. Not last night for sure. He's never coached these kids in an actual game before, so he and his staff are going to have to learn this year how to do more with less with his lines and come up with some new stuff. Not sure the short bubble stuff especially with running backs is going to work as well for us this year than it has in the past for Sumlin/Noel when they had a MUCH better O line. On our RB screens, the downfield blocking was just atrocious. That needs to improve greatly if we're going to stick with the bubble stuff.

3) Playcalling wasn't the best, but it wasn't downright horrible either. Our O-line just got zero push, poor little JJ Taylor had to keep putting his head down and crashing into 3 huge BYU defenders all night. He won't last too many games getting punished like that. Tate's deep passes were pretty inaccurate, only one or two of them even had a realistic chance of being caught. For some reason Tate held on to the ball way too long last night before deciding what to do with it. Gave BYU the chance to track everybody more easily. He had some quick crossing routes open over the middle and never threw a single quick hit one all night to get some YAC. Everything he did last night was pretty formulaic and a step slow.

4) Stadium experience seems to be getting better and better...new zoo section was packed, and got to try the North End zone for the first time. UA hit a homerun with that whole section top to bottom. Really great place to watch a football game from. Beer sales rest of the stadium seemed to cause 0 issues.

5) Not going to panic at this point year one Sumlin. No way around the fact that our overall talent level isn't where we'd like it. The playcalling needs to improve a lot given our personnel, as does the blocking. Yates needs to dial up more pressure or stacked fronts to create some energy on D and help our beleaguered D line out on occasion. No way we'll do anything this year just playing a standard 4 man front most of the game this year.

6) Our players played really hard on both sides of the ball and were tackling pretty well once they arrived at the ball carrier (problem was the carrier often wasn't touched until about 4-5 yards downfield). Other than than that we're not too bad ha. From just an organizational team standpoint of doing the little tasks of playing a football game, like subbing in and out correctly, players being in their sets ready to go, thought we actually operated pretty well last night on those things. Unfortunately, we've got alot of work to do on the big things like blocking, tackling, running, and throwing if we're going to salvage the season.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

1. A defensive line that is soft and got physically manhandled plus didn't get any pressure on the QB
2. Receivers that dropped balls.
3. Overthrown passes
4. Horrific play calling and unwillingness to allow Tate to run

All add up to the fact that, without improvement, we're going to suck (again) this season. Problem is, all teams will improve also.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

We lose to Fucking Purdue and now BYU? Why can't we ever have nice things?

I'm sick and tired of this shit.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Carcassdragger wrote:1. A defensive line that is soft and got physically manhandled plus didn't get any pressure on the QB
Saw a post on twitter saying that the DL combined for 8 tackles and no sacks.

UH's Ed Oliver had 13 tackles himself yesterday.
Carcassdragger wrote:We lose to Fucking Purdue and now BYU? Why can't we ever have nice things?

I'm sick and tired of this shit.
I have been waiting since 1981 when I was UA freshman. You think you are tired of mediocrity...

UA has not won a sole conference championship since the 1940's Border Conference. None in the WAC, none in the PAC.

Nick Foles has been the only UA QB to take a snap in the NFL in the PAC era so at least that curse is broken.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Merk, I enrolled at the U of A in 81 also and graduated in 85. So maybe we're equally invested here.

I know it's one game, but damn.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merk was right and I was wrong
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Well done Machina!

Carcassdragger wrote:Merk, I enrolled at the U of A in 81 also and graduated in 85. So maybe we're equally invested here.

Had no idea! More than a few posters here from that period. Drinking age was 19 then, and they didn't mind you bringing booze into the stadium, just no glass bottles.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Merkin wrote:Well done Machina!

Carcassdragger wrote:Merk, I enrolled at the U of A in 81 also and graduated in 85. So maybe we're equally invested here.

Had no idea! More than a few posters here from that period. Drinking age was 19 then, and they didn't mind you bringing booze into the stadium, just no glass bottles.

Merk,
We weren't supposed to bring alcohol into the stadium, they just sometimes looked the other way or didn't look that hard. I have a sign, I um, "acquired" that says "No Alcohol Permitted in the Stadium".

I do remember a girl from my dorm somehow bringing in a whole 12 pack from Circle K, since we were also allowed to leave and return. That was fun the year I lived in East Stadium/Sierra and someone would usually have a keg/beers in their room.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UAEebs86 wrote:

Merk,
We weren't supposed to bring alcohol into the stadium, they just sometimes looked the other way or didn't look that hard. I have a sign, I um, "acquired" that says "No Alcohol Permitted in the Stadium".

I do remember a girl from my dorm somehow bringing in a whole 12 pack from Circle K, since we were also allowed to leave and return. That was fun the year I lived in East Stadium/Sierra and someone would usually have a keg/beers in their room.
When I was a Jr and Sr in high school (80-82) I was a hawker selling cokes at Arizona Stadium. I had the student section and often when I sold a coke they would drink a bit then break out the rum or Jack. Happened all the time.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

Merkin and carcassdragger. You are just kids. I started going to UA games while Jim Young was the coach. A buddy used to live in a duplex on 7th near Martin. We used to smoke up before Football and basketball games, then go watch.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

UAEebs86 wrote:

Merk,

A whole twelve pack? Really? It was a ritual for us to mix up a five gallon Gott cooler full of screwdrivers and carry It into the stadium. Once in a while they'd turn us around at the gate, so we'd just go to another gate. Not once did we fail to get it in. Often, we'd be so trashed by the end of the game, we'd just call it a night.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

After digesting it for about 30 hours

The loss really stings and there were too many mental errors
The defense was more disappointing than the offense.
Besides guys like JJ and Khalil we don't have the roster to expect little or no growing pains with a new staff and system.
It is only one game. This team was not going 12-0 and many teams that make good bowl games and even conference title games lose 1 bad game
Now is not the time to give up on the season team or staff
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

I get what you're saying....but I really expected the D line to be able to at least compete. They are just big soft doughboys and a season is not enough time to correct it. Any team that can even slightly assert itself on the O line is going to just run it down our throats again this year.

Division 1 athletes are supposed to be at an elite level. It sure doesn't look like some of our guys have trained accordingly.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Perhaps we could discuss this over a beer or coffee or a nice cold Coke? Oh right....
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Chicat wrote: Perhaps we could discuss this over a beer or coffee or a nice cold Coke? Oh right....
My phone doesn't pick up the entirety of some posts and alot of Greg's posts show nothing at all (Maybe because I'm not on twitter?) Anyway, maybe I'm just dense, but I don't understand your post, Chi.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Carcassdragger wrote:
Chicat wrote: Perhaps we could discuss this over a beer or coffee or a nice cold Coke? Oh right....
My phone doesn't pick up the entirety of some posts and alot of Greg's posts show nothing at all (Maybe because I'm not on twitter?) Anyway, maybe I'm just dense, but I don't understand your post, Chi.
Caffeine and alcohol are no-go's for LDS church members.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Oh. Ok gotcha. Thanks.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

BYU will now sell caffeinated soda on campus

https://universe.byu.edu/2017/09/21/byu ... on-campus/" target="_blank
The fight between supply and demand for caffeinated soft drinks at BYU has finally ended, decades after campus dining services officials banned the popular sodas on campus.

BYU Dining Services announced this morning that it reversed its previous decision to not sell caffeinated beverages on campus. Caffeinated Coke products will be available through soda fountains and at vending machines across campus.

“We have seen consumer preferences change over time,” said University Communications spokeswoman Carri Jenkins. “This decision is a measure to accommodate consumer requests.”

On Aug. 29, 2012, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints posted a blog in the newsroom section of LDS.org that read: “The Church does not prohibit the use of caffeine.”
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Warm caffeinated drinks were always banned, not cold ones. No coffee or hot tea, but cola drinks have always been fine.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

When I was in high school my Mormon friends wouldn't drink any sodas with caffeine. They knew which orange soda and root beer brands had caffeine in them.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
prh

Post by prh »

Oh Mormons drink lots of Coke. Especially Coke Zero. They go crazy over it. And I'm talking Salt Lake Mormons, which are already pretty different from Mormons elsewhere in the world.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Merkin wrote:Warm caffeinated drinks were always banned, not cold ones. No coffee or hot tea, but cola drinks have always been fine.
Does LDS have some stake in coke now? That’s what I heard was a reason for now being ok with cold coke drinks. Also you’ll never see power aid advertised like it is advertised in Provo. Wow.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

CalStateTempe wrote:
Merkin wrote:Warm caffeinated drinks were always banned, not cold ones. No coffee or hot tea, but cola drinks have always been fine.
Does LDS have some stake in coke now? That’s what I heard was a reason for now being ok with cold coke drinks. Also you’ll never see power aid advertised like it is advertised in Provo. Wow.
That's an urban legend going back decades!
prh

Post by prh »

CalStateTempe wrote:
Urban Legend. They don't appear in Coke's Institutional Ownership list, so while they probably have some stock, it's very minimal. California State Teachers Retirement System is even on the list.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

None of the (good) Mormons I knew growing up drank soda. The jack Mormons did.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Yea the good Mormons in Mesa only drank like orange and grape and Sprite soda
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I thought the deal was that they are not supposed to ingest any kind of stimulants.

Anyway, the people complaining about our students wearing shirts and ties LIKE THEY DO EVERY OTHER GAME should go cry on the shoulder of one of their sister wives.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

They should have more concern about the health effects of high fructose corn syrup on the bodily temple than caffeine.....and so should our D line.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

BYU favored vs Cal. Byu might not be all that bad
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »