New Coach Hot Board

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

MrBug708

Re: New Coach Hot Board

Post by MrBug708 »

prh wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:28 pm Herman would easily be the best retread candidate...but still cashing checks from another school. So that's a hard pass. If he wants to come and rehab his career as coordinator, ok, but we already have an OC. He should just trade places with Sark and go be OC at Bama
Texas aside, was Arizona the last open job available? Seems like that would have been part of the reason for wanting them to wait. Don't think there are any open jobs right now, though I may be forgetting someone.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Retread references tires. You can retread a tire, and it will work, but the retread tire will never outperform a new tire, nor will the retread last as long.

With coaches, retreads are generally on their way down in their career. They were fired from a school like Texas, Texas A & M, or Michigan, and land at a smaller school like Arizona. And at a school like Arizona, they rarely, if ever, perform as well as they did before, and usually don't last as long. Hence the term retread.

Sark is different. He reached the top of the college mountain at USC, was knocked down, and is rebuilding his career. He's been an assistant the last few years, and he's more of a reclamation project than a retread. If Herman, for example, takes an assistant job or a TV analyst job for a few years, maybe he can be a reclamation project too.

The only thing I like about Fisch is he isn't a retread or a reclamation project. He's young and hungry, which is what we need. But that's about it with Fische. His past coaching record? Unremarkable. No great successes and no former players saying they owe their career success to Fische. Fische isn't known as a great recruiter either. And we need a guy who can find guys with untapped potential and coach 'em up. And nothing in Fisch's resume says he can do either.
prh

Post by prh »

MrBug708 wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:47 pm
prh wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:28 pm Herman would easily be the best retread candidate...but still cashing checks from another school. So that's a hard pass. If he wants to come and rehab his career as coordinator, ok, but we already have an OC. He should just trade places with Sark and go be OC at Bama
Texas aside, was Arizona the last open job available? Seems like that would have been part of the reason for wanting them to wait. Don't think there are any open jobs right now, though I may be forgetting someone.
I think we were, and I think it makes total sense from Herman's side. I think a case could be made that he wants to go the Sark/Kiffin route and get his career back on track, more so than going the Sumlin route. But for us, I just do not want someone who is cashing checks from another place while they work here.

I still think he should go be Bama's OC though, best stop and also something poetic about it.
BeardownZonaZona

Post by BeardownZonaZona »

Looks like we're hiring Jordan Paopao as our tight end coach. Good hire. Guy is a great recruiter and has coached some good tight ends who are now in the nfl. Staff looking nice
I said what I said and I mean it.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Is that a Polynesian connection?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
BeardownZonaZona

Just read somewhere he's Samoan
BeardownZonaZona

And Scheer saying on Twitter it looks like we're hiring San Jose wr coach Kevin Cummings to coach our receivers. They just had a really good receiver enter the portal this morning. I hope he follows his coach
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

BeardownZonaZona wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:46 pm Looks like we're hiring Jordan Paopao as our tight end coach. Good hire. Guy is a great recruiter and has coached some good tight ends who are now in the nfl. Staff looking nice
Does anyone know about his UW exit? That's my concern with him, he had a good run at UW, but then they let him go and he went to UNLV.

It's surprising to me UW got rid of him given the TE's he had there.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:46 am
BeardownZonaZona wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:46 pm Looks like we're hiring Jordan Paopao as our tight end coach. Good hire. Guy is a great recruiter and has coached some good tight ends who are now in the nfl. Staff looking nice
Does anyone know about his UW exit? That's my concern with him, he had a good run at UW, but then they let him go and he went to UNLV.

No idea but it might be as simple as Jimmy Lake just wanting his own guy.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azgreg wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:34 am
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:46 am

No idea but it might be as simple as Jimmy Lake just wanting his own guy.
Yeah, I thought that might be it.

Just thought it was weird bc he had a lot of NFL level talent come through. Sefarian-Jenkins, Sample, Bryant, Otton...all legit.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Don't know how most colleges will be able to compete when the powerhouses can tell the recruits that they could possibly make one million or more, https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... nick-saban
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Irish27 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:13 pm Don't know how most colleges will be able to compete when the powerhouses can tell the recruits that they could possibly make one million or more, https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... nick-saban
It’s not like too many schools were competing with Alabama in recruiting anyway.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:23 pm
Irish27 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:13 pm Don't know how most colleges will be able to compete when the powerhouses can tell the recruits that they could possibly make one million or more, https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... nick-saban
It’s not like too many schools were competing with Alabama in recruiting anyway.
They've had a Top 5 recruiting class every year since 2008, and 8 of those years, they had the #1 class per 247.

So yeah, this is just what we already knew.