scumdevils86

Re: College Football Playoff Rankings

Post by scumdevils86 »

like 5 pm tonight or close to that
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

scumdevils86 wrote:like 5 pm tonight or close to that
well....that's no help (not your answer, the release time, thx for the answer). I was hoping for something to fire up some lively discussion and help waste some time before the basketball game :lol:
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

6:00 MST I think.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

PieceOfMeat wrote:Also, why isn't Bryne doing some politicking about how we had injury issues during losses, etc? Or is he waiting to see what happens this weekend first?
I think the AD and staff are going to take the long view and realize that making their case in the media will only put a sour taste in the mouth of the committee that could linger. Right now with 9 wins we are poised to go to a good bowl. But we could really push into the national conversation in '15 and '16 if all goes to plan with Anu and Wilson and Scooby as veterans.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Chicat wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:Also, why isn't Bryne doing some politicking about how we had injury issues during losses, etc? Or is he waiting to see what happens this weekend first?
I think the AD and staff are going to take the long view and realize that making their case in the media will only put a sour taste in the mouth of the committee that could linger. Right now with 9 wins we are poised to go to a good bowl. But we could really push into the national conversation in '15 and '16 if all goes to plan with Anu and Wilson and Scooby as veterans.
If Arizona manages to win the South and then beat Oregon in the Pac-12 title game, their resume would merit consideration. Right now we're looking at 'Bama, FSU, Miss. St. and TCU if Oregon isn't in the picture. Arizona would have two wins against Oregon, one at home and one at a neutral site, a win at Utah, and a win against ASU. Two losses against top 25 teams by a total of 12 points. If two of those four teams drop a game and Arizona did win out like that, you'd have to think about slotting them. Not saying they will, but that would be a solid, solid resume.

RR is telling the team "everything we want is still in front of us." Take care of business, win games, and let the chips fall where they may.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Chicat wrote:
Fair enough.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

azpenguin wrote:
Chicat wrote:
If Arizona manages to win the South and then beat Oregon in the Pac-12 title game, their resume would merit consideration. Right now we're looking at 'Bama, FSU, Miss. St. and TCU if Oregon isn't in the picture. Arizona would have two wins against Oregon, one at home and one at a neutral site, a win at Utah, and a win against ASU. Two losses against top 25 teams by a total of 12 points. If two of those four teams drop a game and Arizona did win out like that, you'd have to think about slotting them. Not saying they will, but that would be a solid, solid resume.

RR is telling the team "everything we want is still in front of us." Take care of business, win games, and let the chips fall where they may.
Bama has 1-2 chances to lose another one... MSU has 1, maybe 2 games... TCU plays at an improving UT... and the last time UF played a highly ranked 'nole team with an interim coach - they pulled off the upset.

Next in line are Baylor (@ TTU and home vs K-State) and ntOSU (Michigan and B1G Championship game).

Lots of ifs and buts, but not inconceivable. In addition to UA & Stanford, this weekend I'll be rooting for the Tigers (War Damn Eagle!), Rebels, Horns, Gators, and Minny (vs Wisconsin) just to be safe. Next weekend I'll be a big K-State and Minnesota fan.

It's a circuitous path but not an impossible one.... we don't need ALL those things to happen - just for Alabama or MSU, Baylor OR TCU, Ohio State, & FSU to lose 1 in the next 2 weekends. Those things happen & I think we could sneak in with 2 more victories. Even though FSU would only have 1 loss, I think they have zero margin of error, with multiple close calls, 0 high quality wins, and a BAD loss (if it happens).
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Chaos scenario: Auburn beats Alabama OR 'Bama loses the SEC title game. Florida or Georgia Tech beats FSU. Texas beats TCU. Ole Miss wins the Egg Bowl (or Miss. St. wins the SEC West with Auburn's help and MSU loses the SEC title game.) Arizona wins out and beats Oregon in the Pac-12 title game.

Any one of those is plausible, although hitting the whole combo would be a miracle. Still, the games gotta play out and anything can happen.
cat77

Post by cat77 »

11 this week. 2 spots ahead of ASU who is at 13.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Arizona comes in at 11. Beat ASU and we're in a top 6 CFP bowl!
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Why are we behind Michigan St?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Main Event wrote:Why are we behind Michigan St?
We jump them with a win vs ASU
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Main Event wrote:Why are we behind Michigan St?
Excellent question.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

friday is so fucking big. can't wait.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Meh, I was hoping Chi was right, and we'd end up higher.

Ah well.

catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Jesus. The level of politicking over who is the best team in college football is reaching numbingly corrupt proportions.

Any over/unders on the amount of cash changing hands to "influence" these poll and playoff votes? Of course Arizona's going to get the short end of the stick in this conversation every time, with little 'skin in the game', so to speak.

I know, how dare I suggest Division I college football rankings aren't purely amateur. Probably the same reason basketball refs never do Arizona any favors at home. We're above playing such politics.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

I always thought it was weird that the media dismissed the Wilson injury, but used Oregon's injury as an excuse.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

PieceOfMeat wrote:Meh, I was hoping Chi was right, and we'd end up higher.
Me too. Surprised we are behind MSU since we have a glaringly obvious common opponent, but whatcha gonna do?
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Chicat wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:Meh, I was hoping Chi was right, and we'd end up higher.
Me too. Surprised we are behind MSU since we have a glaringly obvious common opponent, but whatcha gonna do?
lament the ending of the usc game? ;)

the hypocrisy from the voters is just annoying. someone should tweet them angrily, but with facts. :lol:

and in the end, screw em. just beat ASsU

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Arizona losses against:
(8)UCLA
USC

Michigan St losses against:
(2) Oregon
(6)Ohio St

Arizona top 25 wins:

(2) Oregon
(25) Utah

Michigan St top 25 wins:

none

So yeah.... it doesn't make any sense.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

Alieberman wrote:Arizona losses against:
(8) @ UCLA
USC

Michigan St losses against:
(2) @ Oregon
(6)Ohio St

Arizona top 25 wins:

(2) @ Oregon
(25) @ Utah

Michigan St top 25 wins:

none

So yeah.... it doesn't make any sense.
Fixed it for ya as the road wins are really what should separate us from MSU. All that being said and this week will decide things as we play a ranked team while MSU is at Penn State.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

The Michigan State thing baffles me too. I guess the committee is basically saying it's okay if you lose to top 10 teams but dare to lose to a top 30 team like USC and you get punished. I'd put a little more emphasis on the fucking wins too, but that's just me. But then again OSU got whooped at home by the pathetic Hokies so who the hell knows.

I do like how the committee will jump teams up if they tack on solid wins though. In the past the rankings were kinda static and a team in front of you really had to lose for them to drop. So yea beat ASU and we're looking good!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ghostwhitehorse wrote:
Chicat wrote:It's like looking in a mirror...

Fun house. . .
That mirror must be dirty as shit.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I guess tomorrow we are fans of Michigan (lol), Georgia Tech, Texas Tech and Ole Miss
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

It's upset Saturday!

I can feel it
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Win (against Oregon) and we're in
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

CalStateTempe wrote:Win (against Oregon) and we're in
My father and I got in a heated argument last night with him insisting there is no way the Cats could make the playoff with a win vs Oregon. He then challenged me to put up $5 to his $100 that the Cats wouldn't make it. I took the bet
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I got into it with a Duck fan on the Larkspur ferry last night.

Both of us wearing our respective gear of course. Duck fan "passed" on his tickets to the Pac-12 championship and has flights/hotels booked for Dallas. Says Arizona is an afterthought. I causally reminded him that this afterthought owns his team in recent history and RR salivates for playing Oregon.

I really believe if we beat oregon, we are a serious playoff team WITH two losses, including over some 1 loss teams. We would own two wins over the "vaunted" oregon ducks in one season AND Pac-12 champs.

That won't be overlooked. (and if it is, we are still playing in a new years day bowl)

Win and we're in.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

we want everyone to lose today. Bama, Miss St, Baylor, Ohio St....all of 'em!
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

whatisee wrote:we want everyone to lose today. Bama, Miss St, Baylor, Ohio St....all of 'em!
Yeah let's blow this mother fuck and bring that CFP trophy to Tuc Town and then in April Miller and the boys can bring the NCAA back home! When was the last time a school won both football and basketball championships in the same year? Florida?
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

3goggles wrote:
whatisee wrote:we want everyone to lose today. Bama, Miss St, Baylor, Ohio St....all of 'em!
Yeah let's blow this mother fuck and bring that CFP trophy to Tuc Town and then in April Miller and the boys can bring the NCAA back home! When was the last time a school won both football and basketball championships in the same year? Florida?
Yep Florida did it 06 or 07.

We're going to be top-8 or so on Tuesday and then when we beat the Ducks we move to #4...book it!!
prh

Post by prh »

I asked in arch rivals but I'll ask here. With Barrett done, could we jump OSU? This is that argument of resume vs current playing level, but it's an interesting thing. I'd say we have a better resume anyways, but it's hard to say that with an extra loss.

Speaking of jumping teams, surely we jump Miss St, right? They have 1 win vs a currently ranked team, while we have 3.Their two losses are better than ours, but ours aren't bad at all.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

prh wrote:I asked in arch rivals but I'll ask here. With Barrett done, could we jump OSU? This is that argument of resume vs current playing level, but it's an interesting thing. I'd say we have a better resume anyways, but it's hard to say that with an extra loss.

Speaking of jumping teams, surely we jump Miss St, right? They have 1 win vs a currently ranked team, while we have 3.Their two losses are better than ours, but ours aren't bad at all.
with the sec bias? I sincerely doubt we jump miss st.

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

We're jumpin miss st with a win against oregon
prh

Post by prh »

We jump a bunch of people with a win against Oregon. I'm just curious about this week. We should be the top ranked 2 loss team, although Miss St could be ahead. That would be #7 or 8. Beat Oregon and I think that gets us to...where we want ;)
Last edited by prh on Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

I believe there is a small chance we get in but the God's will have to be on our side, and everything will have to fall into place perfectly.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I think we end up #8 this week. TCU slots in at 4 with Baylor 6 and Ohio St at 5. We might even get to #7 but that depends on Miss St and Mich St and the committee.

Also how will they view OSU and Baylor with injuries to key players. They might not show that hand this week
Last edited by azcat49 on Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Everything they want is still in front of them.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

I'll say were 8. Jump Mich St don't jump Miss St. maybe #7 but I don't have prior history to base an opinion of what the committee will do with Ohio St.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

This is no longer a pipe dream.... Look at the rankings.

We should be 7, and will be no worse than 8, in the polls. We were 11 and we definitely jump UCLA, Miss St, and Georgia - who all lost. I also expect us to jump Michigan State, as they were 1 ahead of us and our win was much more impressive than theirs was. Even if we don't, it does not matter because Michigan State does not play again until the post-season... A win over Oregon and we pass them unquestionably.

The 6 teams ahead of us will be Alabama, Oregon, Florida State, TCU, Baylor, and Ohio State. (Possibly Sparty but inconsequential).

Only 2 things need to happen for us to make the playoff.
1. Beat Oregon
2. Have tOSU lose... And their 3rd string QB will be starting against Wisconsin in the B1G championship next weekend.

Assume that Bama, FSU, and the Big 12 champs are in. NO WAY do 2 Big 12 teams make the playoffs. We jump both tOSU and Oregon to end up no worse than #5.

Wisconsin will be ranked below us going into next week, and we will have beaten a higher ranked opponent... They do not get the nod. Neither does Mich St who did not even win their division. And there is no SEC team that will be above us in the polls OR have an opportunity to play again and improve their standing.

And just for style points... Our 2 point home loss to USC does not look all that bad to most of the CFB world who watched the Trojans trounce Notre Dame this afternoon.

This is a whole lot more of a possibility than most of us are probably comfortable believing....
Last edited by Harvey Specter on Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Salty

Post by Salty »

Just win, baby
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Agree with Salty. Just win. That's all we can control. Hoping we font have that fat and happy attitude of getting there was good enough. I know I even have a hint of that as I am pretty satisfied and I need to get greedy. These opportunities don't come along often, we know that more then anyone
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

Win and we're in. If we win and we aren't in, we fucking riot.

This is all bonus football to me now, I'm just gonna enjoy every damn minute of it. 10 wins in year three is more than we could have asked for. We are playing with house money and a lot of swagger right now. And I think that bodes well for us.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

saw this on espn's front page (I guess they post comments/twitters below the score area)
Fastest way to an 8-game playoff? An SEC-less CFP this year.
I agree with that. Although, it'll never happen.

Really be interesting to see if the selection committee puts its money where its mouth is with this upcoming ranking.

3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

azcat49 wrote:Agree with Salty. Just win. That's all we can control. Hoping we font have that fat and happy attitude of getting there was good enough. I know I even have a hint of that as I am pretty satisfied and I need to get greedy. These opportunities don't come along often, we know that more then anyone
No we need to be happy with where we are the team needs to be greedy! If we lose it doesn't change how these kids fight and work there ass off. it can only enhance that with a win over the ducks!
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

prh wrote:We jump a bunch of people with a win against Oregon. I'm just curious about this week. We should be the top ranked 2 loss team, although MSU could be ahead. That would be #7 or 8. Beat Oregon and I think that gets us to...where we want ;)
Sorry - But this is where our win against Oregon on the road should put us over Michigan State as they lost to Oregon on the road. Period. I think the selection committee will agree.
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

MountainCat wrote:
prh wrote:We jump a bunch of people with a win against Oregon. I'm just curious about this week. We should be the top ranked 2 loss team, although MSU could be ahead. That would be #7 or 8. Beat Oregon and I think that gets us to...where we want ;)
Sorry - But this is where our win against Oregon on the road should put us over Michigan State as they lost to Oregon on the road. Period. I think the selection committee will agree.
If that were the case, then why were we behind them in the last poll?

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

The only thing I can think of is this game control stat. We've played a lot of close games (trailed in some) while Sparty has mostly blowout wins (except for Nebraska), their 2 loses are to #2 and #6 while our 2 loses are to #8 and UR.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

azgreg wrote:The only thing I can think of is this game control stat. We've played a lot of close games (trailed in some) while Sparty has mostly blowout wins (except for Nebraska), their 2 loses are to #2 and #6 while our 2 loses are to #8 and UR.
well our second loss shouldn't be UR after this last weekend, I'd think.

But, still, they're also discounting (heavily) our previous Oregon victory due to "injury"...while ignoring OUR injuries in our losses.