Arizona at UTEP discussion thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Re: Arizona at UTEP discussion thread

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

chiefzona wrote:
Chicat wrote:I only really have one "source", but he works in the AD. The idea that we are hemorrhaging money is pretty funny to him.

Keep in mind that as a public, not-for-profit university, the only advantage to running in the black is the kickback to the university at large. Even if the AD runs in the red to the tune of <5%, that shortfall is made up by the way sports market the school both to prospective students and alumni donors.

Also keep in mind that we could be doing a lot better if the TV deal paid near what its supposed to. Thanks Larry Scott.

Thanks to Chief for bringing up this topic. I hope we've disabused you and your connected friend of your incorrect notions.
The one thing your buddy got right is operating in the red. The department has some very tough obstacles in the near future. Heeke has some VERY important decisions to make and donor participation in the next year is critical. But we all knew that.

You're welcome. Don't worry about me buddy. My connected friend is correct as we've revisited this and will again soon after the season.
Is that Version 2 of "the athletic department is hemorrhaging money?"

I do like that it's a big deal that we're in the red for one year after being in the black for a decade plus, when most athletic departments operate at a loss.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ChooChooCat wrote:If bussing our football team to El Paso (which is far from torture) can help pay for Sean Miller to charter for recruiting I'd do it 100000000 times out of 100000000.

On a second note this is what needs to occur to generate more revenue since Larry Scott is awful at his job and yet is paid more than anybody outside of the SEC commissioner for...reasons?

1. Sell beer at football games
2. Sell naming rights to Arizona Stadium
3. If you really really need more money then sell naming rights to McKale
You maybe onto some things. Expect some announcements soon.......
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
Chicat wrote:I only really have one "source", but he works in the AD. The idea that we are hemorrhaging money is pretty funny to him.

Keep in mind that as a public, not-for-profit university, the only advantage to running in the black is the kickback to the university at large. Even if the AD runs in the red to the tune of <5%, that shortfall is made up by the way sports market the school both to prospective students and alumni donors.

Also keep in mind that we could be doing a lot better if the TV deal paid near what its supposed to. Thanks Larry Scott.

Thanks to Chief for bringing up this topic. I hope we've disabused you and your connected friend of your incorrect notions.
The one thing your buddy got right is operating in the red. The department has some very tough obstacles in the near future. Heeke has some VERY important decisions to make and donor participation in the next year is critical. But we all knew that.

You're welcome. Don't worry about me buddy. My connected friend is correct as we've revisited this and will again soon after the season.

I do like that it's a big deal that we're in the red for one year after being in the black for a decade plus, when most athletic departments operate at a loss.
Especially when so few athletic departments are in the black in the first place.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg wrote: Especially when so few athletic departments are in the black in the first place.
That's why I can't understand "pay the athletes". Only way that can happen is drop all women's sports, and all the men's except for football and basketball, and even then some football programs should be cut.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

Version 2 is aneurysm.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Merkin wrote:
azgreg wrote: Especially when so few athletic departments are in the black in the first place.
That's why I can't understand "pay the athletes". Only way that can happen is drop all women's sports, and all the men's except for football and basketball, and even then some football programs should be cut.

This 100%
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

ChooChooCat wrote:If bussing our football team to El Paso (which is far from torture) can help pay for Sean Miller to charter for recruiting I'd do it 100000000 times out of 100000000.

On a second note this is what needs to occur to generate more revenue since Larry Scott is awful at his job and yet is paid more than anybody outside of the SEC commissioner for...reasons?

You might be onto some things. I think Heeke has very limited choices and these are some good ones.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Can you imagine the meltdown that would happen on this board if they sold naming rights to McKale? Especially given the meltdowns we've seen on a 2 inch reddish purple shoulder stripe on the uniforms? This place would be a nuclear wasteland.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

chiefzona wrote:

You might be onto some things. I think Heeke has very limited choices and these are some good ones.
So officially you don't have the best sources. Stop trying now.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ASUHATER! wrote:Can you imagine the meltdown that would happen on this board if they sold naming rights to McKale? Especially given the meltdowns we've seen on a 2 inch reddish purple shoulder stripe on the uniforms? This place would be a nuclear wasteland.
Mount up
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Fuck that.

Dean dome, Cameron indoor, Rupp, Pauley Pavilion.

Think we are more in that company than Yum! Arena and Hass Auditorium

And yeah I do pony up. Not enough for be apart of the wildcat club yet, but enough.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Kfc yum center
Sid

Post by Sid »

PHXCATS wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:Can you imagine the meltdown that would happen on this board if they sold naming rights to McKale? Especially given the meltdowns we've seen on a 2 inch reddish purple shoulder stripe on the uniforms? This place would be a nuclear wasteland.
Mount up
I don't think it was a meltdown. We had arguably the absolute most atrocious unis in all of the land. How many years were we forced to embrace that horrid design scheme? I don't remember a single poster stating our unis led them to seek psychiatric help? Now, some of your ilk can't even walk by a fucking statue without having mental anguish....

That's a meltdown!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I'd be ok with the Rio Nuevo Arena at McKale Center, which includes the Lute and Bobbi Olson Court.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Circle K thirst buster arena
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

NYCat wrote:Kfc yum center
Pink Taco Arena.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Do what other schools have done, sell the names to the entrances and gates and print the company names on the tickets of the entrance you should go in.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
I'd be ok with the Rio Nuevo Arena at McKale Center, which includes the Lute and Bobbi Olson Court.
Isn't Rio Nuevo funded by Tucson or Pima County tax dollars?

Don't think that would go over so well like the streetcar and with the earlier Rio Nuevo failures.

Already east siders resent the streetcar as subsidizing UA students, and an arena would even be more so.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Isn't Rio Nuevo funded by Tucson or Pima County tax dollars?

Don't think that would go over so well like the streetcar and with the earlier Rio Nuevo failures.

Already east siders resent the streetcar as subsidizing UA students, and an arena would even be more so.
There's already an allegation of 250 million wasted. If we can just get in on 1/100 of that, it's a nice extra bump.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

There will be some new revenue streams soon as both Choo and Phxcats pointed out. With some of that though will be the debt service on all the improvements that will be made.

It is going to take some innovative thinking to get it right but I have no doubt we will get it done and come out of it in good shape financially.

The university controls those retention bonus shares so if Heeke pulls the plug on RR I am sure we can use those to offset his remaining salary, attract a new guy, reallocate them to other coaches or maybe cash them in and use them on facilities.

One thing the UofA has been and will remain is fiscally responsible. We may fall behind as we have in the facility arms race but we will survive.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

chiefzona wrote:

The one thing your buddy got right....
Ok bro
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azcat49 wrote:There will be some new revenue streams soon as both Choo and Phxcats pointed out. With some of that though will be the debt service on all the improvements that will be made.

It is going to take some innovative thinking to get it right but I have no doubt we will get it done and come out of it in good shape financially.

The university controls those retention bonus shares so if Heeke pulls the plug on RR I am sure we can use those to offset his remaining salary, attract a new guy, reallocate them to other coaches or maybe cash them in and use them on facilities.

One thing the UofA has been and will remain is fiscally responsible. We may fall behind as we have in the facility arms race but we will survive.
They need to make sure they don't cross the streams.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

PHXCATS wrote:

Heeke has been saying he's pro beer at football games and will do. Doing planning for it. Heeke also seems to be hinting that maybe new indoor multi-sport practice facility MAY sell food and drink as part of the gameday tailgate experience. Already said it will be a gameday-tailgate venue of some kind just not sure that will include alcohol.

Naming rights for the stadium? Byrne wanted it, Heeke wants it. No one willing to pay what they feel it's worth selling for. Heard Heeke say it may be a ways off until someone antes up enough worth it for them
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

Heeke has been saying he's pro beer at football games and will do. Doing planning for it. Heeke also seems to be hinting that maybe new indoor multi-sport practice facility MAY sell food and drink as part of the gameday tailgate experience. Already said it will be a gameday-tailgate venue of some kind just not sure that will include alcohol.

Naming rights for the stadium? Byrne wanted it, Heeke wants it. No one willing to pay what they feel it's worth selling for. Heard Heeke say it may be a ways off until someone antes up enough worth it for them
Paragraph 1 is all true and it goes beyond that and will very very soon

Paragraph 2, I would not sell off the naming rights to Arizona Stadium but would be fine with something like Madison Square Garden present by Chase for McKale. Like Welcome to McKale Center brought to you by Petsmart. But the market for naming rights in Arizona is slow. No one has been able to make University of Phoenix a reasonable offer yet for UOP Stadium.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Sell naming rights to Arizona Stadium? NEVER!
Sell naming rights to McKale Center? Sell Arizona Stadium naming rights first.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Machina has evolved recently into an AD insider with a direct link to an internet gif library. What happened, man?
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Shoulda booked a train.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Puerco wrote:Machina has evolved recently into an AD insider with a direct link to an internet gif library. What happened, man?
2 words-

Arcade Tavern
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Arizona's O-line is not good. Poor depth and got blown off the ball. They better pick it up before Utah comes into town.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

chiefzona wrote:Arizona's O-line is not good. Poor depth and got blown off the ball. They better pick it up before Utah comes into town.
They won't.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »