Post by PHXCATS »

azcat49 wrote:To much money not to.
True but it is also many other factors

Tradition
An escape for the fans
School and state and region pride
Getting back to normal
Players want to play
Players at virtually no risk (Wilner said the other day not one college aged person has died from the virus in the entire conference footprint)
Player’s families better protected by having players tested regularly

Money absolutely matters but it is by no means the only thing
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
scumdevils86

Re: 2020 Season Thread

Post by scumdevils86 »

Lol sports and money over lives and safety. Gotta make sure that gambling addiction is satisfied too!
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

scumdevils86 wrote:Lol sports and money over lives and safety. Gotta make sure that gambling addiction is satisfied too!
You are so obsessed With me. So flattering.

Players are at minimal risk. The testing will help the players' families. There will be safety measures put in place if fans are allowed in. So why are you so concerned especially since you always say you don’t give a crap about sports and football anymore?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

So what's the plan WHEN, not if, a player tests positive? Then several players test positive?

No one seems to talk about this in the reopening of these sports leagues. I remember when 1 player in the NBA tested positive... a few days later all sports were shut down.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Alieberman wrote:So what's the plan WHEN, not if, a player tests positive? Then several players test positive?

No one seems to talk about this in the reopening of these sports leagues. I remember when 1 player in the NBA tested positive... a few days later all sports were shut down.
They are isolated and quarantined for a few weeks. Pro sports will have different rules for this with the roster. Either more moved up and down with the minors or expanded rosters. This has been spoken about a lot nationally.

We know far more today than in March. Different decisions would be made based on what we know now.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Thread
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

PHXCATS wrote:

Tradition
An escape for the fans
Getting back to normal
Players want to play
Players at virtually no risk (Wilner said the other day not one college aged person has died from the virus in the entire conference footprint)

While I agree to what you wrote as other underlying reasons, the economics of college sports and the deficits schools would run mandates a start to the season. Kids and families can decide to play or not to play.

Pro team owners stand to really lose if they don’t play. While they may be better equipped to handle a long layoff the lost value from appreciation or the lack there of has to motivate those owners to pressure to resume play.

Next would be the states and cities and the revenues and jobs lost. Bottom line is most of this is economically driven IMO
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

azcat49 wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

Tradition
An escape for the fans
Getting back to normal
Players want to play

While I agree to what you wrote as other underlying reasons, the economics of college sports and the deficits schools would run mandates a start to the season. Kids and families can decide to play or not to play.

Pro team owners stand to really lose if they don’t play. While they may be better equipped to handle a long layoff the lost value from appreciation or the lack there of has to motivate those owners to pressure to resume play.

Next would be the states and cities and the revenues and jobs lost. Bottom line is most of this is economically driven IMO
Well it certainly isn't driven by morality, science, compassion or intelligence.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

PHXCATS wrote:They are isolated and quarantined for a few weeks. Pro sports will have different rules for this with the roster. Either more moved up and down with the minors or expanded rosters. This has been spoken about a lot nationally.

We know far more today than in March. Different decisions would be made based on what we know now.
But if one player gets it, chances are others will have it too, not to mention whatever team that person played against.

See the problem? I just don't see how a full season of any sport can be played like this.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

PHXCATS wrote:
Alieberman wrote:So what's the plan WHEN, not if, a player tests positive? Then several players test positive?

They are isolated and quarantined for a few weeks. Pro sports will have different rules for this with the roster. Either more moved up and down with the minors or expanded rosters. This has been spoken about a lot nationally.

I'm not talking about what to do with the individual, I'm talking about what the rest of the team does?

And yes, we do know more today than in March.... like you could be asymptomatic for days without anyone knowing... or never showing any signs of being ill.

There will be a team with an outbreak. Get your popcorn ready.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ASUHATER! wrote:
azcat49 wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

Tradition
An escape for the fans
Getting back to normal
Players want to play

Well it certainly isn't driven by morality, science, compassion or intelligence.
Sure thing
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

AZCatGirl wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:They are isolated and quarantined for a few weeks. Pro sports will have different rules for this with the roster. Either more moved up and down with the minors or expanded rosters. This has been spoken about a lot nationally.

But if one player gets it, chances are others will have it too, not to mention whatever team that person played against.

See the problem? I just don't see how a full season of any sport can be played like this.
How did only two Jazz players get it then?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

PHXCATS wrote:
AZCatGirl wrote:

Because they shut the entire fucking league down!!!!!!
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

FYI
Colorado Mesa University student, 21, is state's youngest COVID-19 victim/

he played on club baseball team, so was an athlete; but likely not infected at school

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/l ... plications" target="_blank
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Alieberman wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
AZCatGirl wrote:

Because they shut the entire fucking league down!!!!!!
Gobert had it before the day he tested positive for it. Playing against other teams and practicing with his team, same locker room without any precautions for a while between when he actually got the virus and when he tested positive for it.

With precautions and widespread testing transmissions between teammates isn’t a guaranteed thing
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

'Voluntary'? With so many marginal players on the team, would any care to not show up?
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

This could make on-campus college classes and/or dormitory living very risky this fall....

CDC - "Serologic test results should not be used to make decisions about grouping persons residing in or being admitted to congregate settings, such as schools, dormitories, or correctional facilities."
Antibody tests for Covid-19 wrong half the time, CDC says

(CNN)Antibody tests used to determine if people have been infected in the past with Covid-19 might be wrong up to half the time, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said in new guidance posted on its website.
Antibody tests, often called serologic tests, look for evidence of an immune response to infection. "Antibodies in some persons can be detected within the first week of illness onset," the CDC says.

They are not accurate enough to use to make important policy decisions, the CDC said.

"Serologic test results should not be used to make decisions about grouping persons residing in or being admitted to congregate settings, such as schools, dormitories, or correctional facilities," the CDC says.

"Serologic test results should not be used to make decisions about returning persons to the workplace."
Health officials or health care providers who are using antibody tests need to use the most accurate test they can find and might need to test people twice, the CDC said in the new guidance.
"In most of the country, including areas that have been heavily impacted, the prevalence of SARS-CoV-2 antibody is expected to be low, ranging from less than 5% to 25%, so that testing at this point might result in relatively more false positive results and fewer false-negative results," the CDC said.

It's a point that's been made frequently in recent weeks by public health experts, but the CDC spells out the problem in the new advice on antibody testing.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/05/26/heal ... rus-wrong/" target="_blank
Here's the link to the CDC Guidance - https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... lines.html" target="_blank
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
prh

Post by prh »

Merkin wrote:'Voluntary'? With so many marginal players on the team, would any care to not show up?
Lol just like the optional spring camps in high school
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Schools that had players already come back for voluntary workouts are already having multiple people test positive for covid. There's no way that entire teams aren't getting infected once school is back. Which will mean that if people go ahead with the season then some teams will have to drop out and stop playing mid season.

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ASUHATER! wrote:Schools that had players already come back for voluntary workouts are already having multiple people test positive for covid. There's no way that entire teams aren't getting infected once school is back. Which will mean that if people go ahead with the season then some teams will have to drop out and stop playing mid season.
Again with no protocols at all the Jazz and other NBA players only had one or two players test positive. These players likely had it before they got to school
prh

Post by prh »

Yeah any teams getting positive results this week are from intake testing, not from internal spread
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

PHXCATS wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:Schools that had players already come back for voluntary workouts are already having multiple people test positive for covid. There's no way that entire teams aren't getting infected once school is back. Which will mean that if people go ahead with the season then some teams will have to drop out and stop playing mid season.
Again with no protocols at all the Jazz and other NBA players only had one or two players test positive. These players likely had it before they got to school
And it is likely you're a barely literate idiot.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

scumdevils86 wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
And it is likely you're a barely literate idiot.
I will bet you 100-1 odds. You have the 100 side. No team will have every single player test positive for covid the same week. Deal?

You clearly dont get it. 1) the players testing positive now didn't get it from teammates and 2) if under zero safety measures and protocols only a small percentage of a team get it then there is no way an entire teams get it at the same time
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Blah blah gambling addiction blah blah betting on human beings lives again blah blah
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

prh wrote:Yeah any teams getting positive results this week are from intake testing, not from internal spread
The question is going to be how isolated can you keep the players, especially when other students return to campus.

To me, an outcome every school will desperately want to avoid is starting the season and then having to go back into quarantine.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

I don’t see how there can be any justifiable distinction between athletes’s health precautions vs health precautions for everyone on the campus.

But I’m a big skeptic regarding bringing students back to campus, especially dorms, large classes, and any type of convocations.... My grandson is planning to start at Colorado State in August, and that scares the shit out of me....

― Kinky Friedman
prh

Post by prh »

Chicat wrote:
prh wrote:Yeah any teams getting positive results this week are from intake testing, not from internal spread
The question is going to be how isolated can you keep the players, especially when other students return to campus.

To me, an outcome every school will desperately want to avoid is starting the season and then having to go back into quarantine.
I don't have high hopes on either of those. It seems college sports is betting on the fact that college age mortality rate is so low. But there are so many other considerations and factors, it's going to be tough. I'm far less concerned about reduced fans compared to team outbreaks because of how difficult outdoor transmission is compared to indoor.

AZ has the worst case count trajectory in the US, making all of this more critical for UA.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I hope we get to watch him play.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We'll see what happens.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

EVCat

Post by EVCat »

It simply doesn't happen without a therapeutic cocktail of meds that blunt the worst of the virus, antibody therapy, and/or a vaccine.

We are closer to the first, but the second and third are moving along at a fantastic rate. Two vaccines into phase 3, eight through phase 2, and government money behind producing the vaccines ahead of final phase testing, which is usually a huge part of the delay...if the vaccine fails, they will be dumped at no cost to the developer, but if successful, a large number of doses are ready immediately. Some of the antibody therapy development has been fascinating to watch, especially the San Diego group working with synthetic antibodies, which would be, obviously, easier to mass produce as you would not need infected blood.

But short of any of these, and it certainly looks like later fall/winter '20 into '2021 before we get one or more, fall sports will be attempted but will, ultimately, be retracted IMO. They have to try. But they have to have buy in, also, and we are already seeing players push back.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

NBA and MLB can't figure out how to do it.

College kids aren't going to be the guinea pigs if the NCAA really believes these are student-athletes and not cash cows
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Then there's this.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Which puts a big problem in the way of the mountain west conference operating

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Fuck Idaho and all the Mark Furmans living there.

Becerra’s order means public employees and college students may not travel to Idaho under provisions of a 2016 California law.

As a (former) state employee, a slight correction would be that we are free to travel to those states, just not on the taxpayer's dime which includes athletic travel whether self funded or not. Which I am not aware of any major conferences in Idaho, along with the rest of the hater states.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

People need to realize that sports ain't happening this fall and that universities need to still be online only at least until January.