2017 recruits/commitment thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

cordera89

Re: 2017 recruits/commitment thread

Post by cordera89 »

EastCoastCat wrote:I really think the last thing recruits care about when making their decision is what a bunch of rabid fans say on a message board. Program, coaches, school, right fit probably weigh a lot more heavily.
Is it really that hard for a recruit to have interest in a school to not care on what being said on a message broad. The only thing that recruits might care about if the coaching staff is back next season.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

cordera89 wrote:
EastCoastCat wrote:I really think the last thing recruits care about when making their decision is what a bunch of rabid fans say on a message board. Program, coaches, school, right fit probably weigh a lot more heavily.
Is it really that hard for a recruit to have interest in a school to not care on what being said on a message broad. The only thing that recruits might care about if the coaching staff is back next season.

Not entirely true but you are on track.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Merkin wrote:Harvey is right.

If anything, a recruit will see the promise of immediate playing time with this team if he looks at this thread, outside of RB anyway.

Still can't believe Burmeister bailed for that reason. Could have started as a true freshman here, instead of sitting on the bench for Oregon.
Burmeister booked because he knew RR is done and that his system needs an upgrade. He knew he could walk in and take over at Arizona but that wasn't enough.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

chiefzona wrote:

If anything, a recruit will see the promise of immediate playing time with this team if he looks at this thread, outside of RB anyway.

Still can't believe Burmeister bailed for that reason. Could have started as a true freshman here, instead of sitting on the bench for Oregon.
Burmeister booked because he knew RR is done and that his system needs an upgrade. He knew he could walk in and take over at Arizona but that wasn't enough.
Though I'm sure some of this is true, it's also that Akili Smith his QB coach who was very close to him, had been trying to get him to Oregon. Once coaching change at Oregon occurred and offer came, which had not come before January, it was done.

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/recruiting ... kili-smith" target="_blank
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Akili Smith had been Burmeister coach since 8th grade.

http://www.sports360az.com/2017/01/four ... nt-oregon/" target="_blank
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

chiefzona wrote:

Chief would that be the real reason why he didn't choose us after we seen him decommit from UA twice and for you to say he strongly believe that RR would be canned by next season or did Aki Smith had something to do with his recruitment.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

ramcat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

Though I'm sure some of this is true, it's also that Akili Smith his QB coach who was very close to him, had been trying to get him to Oregon. Once coaching change at Oregon occurred and offer came, which had not come before January, it was done.

That was the icing on the cake. When I spoke to BB about it, he never mentioned Akili. Remember, he had already decommited before. He was very wary of RR but he loved Rod Smith. They are talking RS with him at Oregon but he could care less.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

chiefzona wrote:
ramcat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

That was the icing on the cake. When I spoke to BB about it, he never mentioned Akili. Remember, he had already decommited before. He was very wary of RR but he loved Rod Smith. They are talking RS with him at Oregon but he could care less.
Chief, Did the offer from Oregon made BB a bit wary at some point during his comment. Something has to give because I smell BS that he told you that Akili had nothing to do with him flipping his commit to Oregon over us.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

cordera89 wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
ramcat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

Chief, Did the offer from Oregon made BB a bit wary at some point during his comment. Something has to give because I smell BS that he told you that Akili had nothing to do with him flipping his commit to Oregon over us.
I said he never mentioned Akili....I never said he told me that Akili had nothing to do with him flipping. Akili was a QB coach for St Augustine and not a coach for Oregon.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Chief, your going to say that with a straight face that Akil Smith had nothing do with BB going to Oregon?

(Oregon was considered a late threat for Burmeister by some because of his connection to Akili Smith, an Oregon alum and former NFL player, who is one of Burmeister's personal trainers. Smith helped push the Ducks, led by new coach Willie Taggart, to offer Burmeister a scholarship.)

their your proof.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

The above link mentions Akili playing a "huge" role in his flipping. Akili in his tweet, says he felt like a proud step Dad, and I believe coached BB as early as 8th grade.
Not sure why Akili coaching at St Augustine is even a factor as the context was BB'S college choice not high school. Akili is a loyal and devoted Duck alum and openly lobbied both staffs at Oregon to offer BB.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Akili had no factor in his first decommit and there was no Oregon offer at that time. When I spoke with him in January, he never mentioned Akili....I'm not saying Akili was NOT a factor because he was BUT there were other factors that bothered him enough to decommit the first time which was long before the Oregon offer. To think that Akili is the major factor or the only factor is disingenuous. These recruits hear a lot and every recruitment is different. BB knew that he would come in and start at Arizona and would probably be redshirted at Oregon. The early playing time was not as important.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of course you're not going to hear from Chiefy why BB might have recommitted because that would run counter to his campaign narrative.

Oh, but he's a truth-spitter... :lol:
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Chicat wrote:Of course you're not going to hear from Chiefy why BB might have recommitted because that would run counter to his campaign narrative.

Oh, but he's a truth-spitter... :lol:

Well, it wasn't Akili. HAHA! His Dad owns a construction company in San Diego and it demands a lot of time. Tucson being close was one of the reasons as was Rod Smith. Recruiting is a hell of a drug.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

chiefzona wrote:Recruiting is a hell of a drug.
So is acting like an insider on the internet.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Chicat wrote:

I'm no insider. I'm an outsider looking in.
Sid

Post by Sid »

chiefzona wrote:
Chicat wrote:

I'm no insider. I'm an outsider looking in.
Fuck this kid! Throw short stuff all game and feed the damn ball to the plethora of talent we now have in the backfield. No one is excited about this?????

Back to the debate on why this jellyfish chose NikeU......pathetic!
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

chiefzona wrote:

This, among others, is the pile we avoid stepping in. BB plays for La Jolla Country Day, a tiny school that plays other tiny schools, as in no real competition. Yet, BB "knew he could walk in and take over at Arizona, but that wasn't enough". The truth? Like everyone else, including the coaches, and even including Chief, BB didn't/doesn't know shit, and I doubt he's dumb enough to say such a thing. Nice try. Had he been lighting it up at a competitive school, against real competition, then perhaps a little over confidence could be justified, but this? Puleeze!
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Braxton and Rhett Rod are basically the same type of QB. Good at a small HS, not D1 QB size. Although one could say that Rhett played better competition. I'm sure Brax didn't play any teams that had 18 kids with D1 offers like Scottsdale Saguaro.

Neither one will see much playing time in college.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

*Grabs popcorn*
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

So I guess Encinas reporting is off saying Smith was a Huge factor. Claims that Smith and BB had been talking for a month about Oregon before offer and flip.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

ramcat wrote:So I guess Encinas reporting is off saying Smith was a Huge factor. Claims that Smith and BB had been talking for a month about Oregon before offer and flip.

Is Gabe still working for 247?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

chiefzona wrote:
ramcat wrote:So I guess Encinas reporting is off saying Smith was a Huge factor. Claims that Smith and BB had been talking for a month about Oregon before offer and flip.

Is Gabe still working for 247?
I think so along with AZ Desert Swarm.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

wyo-cat wrote:Braxton and Rhett Rod are basically the same type of QB. Good at a small HS, not D1 QB size. Although one could say that Rhett played better competition. I'm sure Brax didn't play any teams that had 18 kids with D1 offers like Scottsdale Saguaro.

RhettRod played much better competition than BB, and without checking, I would guess BB is the only kid on his team with a D1 offer. Why BB is such an item has always puzzled me. Maybe he'll play, maybe he won't, but he is no guarantee like Chief implies.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

http://registerguard.com/rg/sports/3523 ... l.html.csp" target="_blank

More on Akili Smiths close ties to both Oregon and Burmeister. Mentions joining Taggart for recruiting event, and his coaching of BB back to 8th grade in San Diego.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

ramcat wrote:http://registerguard.com/rg/sports/3523 ... l.html.csp

More on Akili Smiths close ties to both Oregon and Burmeister. Mentions joining Taggart for recruiting event, and his coaching of BB back to 8th grade in San Diego.
Like I said....he never mentioned Akili. Akili was icing on the cake....imo. He mentioned the fact that RR was done and his offensive scheme needed an upgrade. Remember......he decommited in March of last year and that had nothing to do with Oregon or Akili Smith. His recommitment to Arizona had nothing to do with Oregon or Akili. He was having issues about Arizona long before that.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

MrMeow wrote:
wyo-cat wrote:Braxton and Rhett Rod are basically the same type of QB. Good at a small HS, not D1 QB size. Although one could say that Rhett played better competition. I'm sure Brax didn't play any teams that had 18 kids with D1 offers like Scottsdale Saguaro.

RhettRod played much better competition than BB, and without checking, I would guess BB is the only kid on his team with a D1 offer. Why BB is such an item has always puzzled me. Maybe he'll play, maybe he won't, but he is no guarantee like Chief implies.

Burmeister was first team Parade All American, I imagine that strokes your ego quite a bit. Not that successful QBs normally have ego problems.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

MrMeow wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

This, among others, is the pile we avoid stepping in. BB plays for La Jolla Country Day, a tiny school that plays other tiny schools, as in no real competition. Yet, BB "knew he could walk in and take over at Arizona, but that wasn't enough". The truth? Like everyone else, including the coaches, and even including Chief, BB didn't/doesn't know shit, and I doubt he's dumb enough to say such a thing. Nice try. Had he been lighting it up at a competitive school, against real competition, then perhaps a little over confidence could be justified, but this? Puleeze!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Merkin wrote:
MrMeow wrote:

Burmeister was first team Parade All American, I imagine that strokes your ego quite a bit. Not that successful QBs normally have ego problems.
Why wasn't this stud first team Parade All American heavily recruited, and had to "settle" for lowly UA and the HC he was leery of, both before and after his decommitment ? Where were the big name schools all this time? Even Oregon didn't offer until the coaching change. First team Parade All American and $2.00 ..... cup of coffee.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Merkin wrote:
MrMeow wrote:

His Dad was also a first team Parade All American who played safety for UNC and the Redskins.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

MrMeow wrote:
Merkin wrote:
MrMeow wrote:

Why wasn't this stud first team Parade All American heavily recruited, and had to "settle" for lowly UA and the HC he was leery of, both before and after his decommitment ? Where were the big name schools all this time? Even Oregon didn't offer until the coaching change. First team Parade All American and $2.00 ..... cup of coffee.
You are being a bit silly now. It's one thing to be bitter. It's another to be ignorant.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Why didn't UNC offer? Legacy kid and all.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

wyo-cat wrote:Why didn't UNC offer? Legacy kid and all.

Ask Manning, Griese, Slater, Simms, Winslow, Lott, D. Sanders, B. Sanders, Hasselback, McAlister, Long, Luck, and Shula where their legacy kids went. Manning got 50 percent of one. Haha. There are many more non legacy kids than legacy kids....just so you know.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

2/3 of Manning's kids went to Ole Miss for football.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

chiefzona wrote:
MrMeow wrote:
Merkin wrote:
MrMeow wrote:

You are being a bit silly now. It's one thing to be bitter. It's another to be ignorant.
Honest question. No answer, just the usual evasiveness.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Come on guys, chief knows all. He should be coaching, running evaluations and guiding our recruiting and while he is at it, he should be running every recruiting site out there if nothing more than to check the stars for accuracy.

I was a bitter pill when BB bailed on us, not once but twice. Was that RR fault or Rod Smiths? I have no idea how it can be. It doesn't seem to me that he had a bunch of schools banging at his door until Oregon offered late.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Reads like Burmeister had a nice list of offers including several big schools in the midwest and south, besides 7 PAC schools and SDSU.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/5647" target="_blank
http://www.espn.com/college-sports/foot ... burmeister" target="_blank
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

RhettRod played much better competition than BB, and without checking, I would guess BB is the only kid on his team with a D1 offer. Why BB is such an item has always puzzled me. Maybe he'll play, maybe he won't, but he is no guarantee like Chief implies.[/quote]

Burmeister was first team Parade All American, I imagine that strokes your ego quite a bit. Not that successful QBs normally have ego problems.[/quote]

Why wasn't this stud first team Parade All American heavily recruited, and had to "settle" for lowly UA and the HC he was leery of, both before and after his decommitment ? Where were the big name schools all this time? Even Oregon didn't offer until the coaching change. First team Parade All American and $2.00 ..... cup of coffee.[/quote]

[/quote]

Honest question. No answer, just the usual evasiveness.[/quote]

13 offers. One from Florida and South Carolina. His relationship with Rod Smith kept Arizona in it for a long time. Top 10 DT QB in the nation. Leads 57 years of records as top in every QB category for all of San Diego Section. Oh, and a 4 star that top scouts said he was good.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Is the quote feature that difficult to use?
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Chicat wrote:Is the quote feature that difficult to use?
For some people it is.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

[quote="Chicat"Is the quote feature that difficult to use?[/quote]

What was that?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

MrMeow wrote:
Merkin wrote:
MrMeow wrote:

His offer list looks like an all-century team compared to 85% of the kids we sign... of course all those other kids were "diamonds in the rough" and other schools can't evaluate. Ask Matty D. We are just so darn smart.

Kid never should have committed the 2nd time if he was not going to stick. That was really weak... but stop with the ridiculous criticism of the offers he received. (If he's not that fucking good then why were our coaches all over his jock?)

As for all the scoffing at him "going to UO where he will ride the pine but he could have been a star here from Day 1"... you people sound like fans in Oregon when Damon Stoudamire committed here.

When elite kids choose us in hoops, they are "kids who want to win... are not afraid of competition... and care more about being the best they can be than being the BMOC". When they choose a lesser program in Hoops they are pussies.

Delusion is a grand drug...
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Harvey Specter wrote:
MrMeow wrote:
Merkin wrote:
MrMeow wrote:

His offer list looks like an all-century team compared to 85% of the kids we sign... of course all those other kids were "diamonds in the rough" and other schools can't evaluate. Ask Matty D. We are just so darn smart.

Kid never should have committed the 2nd time if he was not going to stick. That was really weak... but stop with the ridiculous criticism of the offers he received. (If he's not that fucking good then why were our coaches all over his jock?)

As for all the scoffing at him "going to UO where he will ride the pine but he could have been a star here from Day 1"... you people sound like fans in Oregon when Damon Stoudamire committed here.

When elite kids choose us in hoops, they are "kids who want to win... are not afraid of competition... and care more about being the best they can be than being the BMOC". When they choose a lesser program in Hoops they are pussies.

Anger and denial have always been Arizona football fan's drug.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Harvey Specter wrote:
MrMeow wrote:
Merkin wrote:
MrMeow wrote:

Who really knows how good BB is? Our coaches have been all over a lot of jocks. Could BB have been one to work out? Who knows. I'm just saying Chief's b.s. about BB walking in and taking over at Arizona from day one (or something like that) is just that - b.s. BB was good against very weak competition, which is mostly why I have been critical of him. We'll see how his h.s. performance translates to strong competition.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Who really knows how good BB is? Our coaches have been all over a lot of jocks. Could BB have been one to work out? Who knows. I'm just saying Chief's b.s. about BB walking in and taking over at Arizona from day one (or something like that) is just that - b.s. BB was good against very weak competition, which is mostly why I have been critical of him. We'll see how his h.s. performance translates to strong competition.

Weak competition or not, the throws were placed well and with zip. His runs looked like a fantasy against those defenses but the kid is good enough to run well at the D1 level. Even more important is that Dawkins and Tate pose very little competition for an above average QB or higher coming out of HS. If you think the QB bar level is high right now at Arizona, you are sadly mistaken. BB would have been a perfect QB to come in and take the reigns and most people close to the program as well as those in the program thought the same thing. Unfortunately, we shall never know here at Arizona. Instead, we get to see two RBs try to make it as QBs. Good times indeed.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Reminds me of when Chuck Levy was QB for Arizona. One time in 1993 he did not complete a pass in a win v. Oregon, and only attempted one which I believe he threw out of bounds intentionally.

Arizona's lack of passing in last year's Territorial Cup was repeated ad nauseum.

Mentioned it before, but imagine what UA could do running the triple option with Wilson/Taylor/Tilford as RBs, and Tate/Dawkins as QB.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Why throw the ball when we were gashing the Scum on the ground?

I watched it again and every time I turned away and looked back a dude in red was gaining huge chunks of yards.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

chiefzona wrote:

Weak competition or not, the throws were placed well and with zip. His runs looked like a fantasy against those defenses but the kid is good enough to run well at the D1 level. Even more important is that Dawkins and Tate pose very little competition for an above average QB or higher coming out of HS. If you think the QB bar level is high right now at Arizona, you are sadly mistaken. BB would have been a perfect QB to come in and take the reigns and most people close to the program as well as those in the program thought the same thing. Unfortunately, we shall never know here at Arizona. Instead, we get to see two RBs try to make it as QBs. Good times indeed.
So basically it another talk of not having the right QB in RR offense and surely nothing wont improve in the passing game with Dawkins or Tate at QB.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

chiefzona wrote:

Dawkins and Tate were above average QBs coming out of high school, and they played high level competition. But BB is "special", right? You're a little early, Chief.